They're Finally Doing It...And It's About Time

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:48 pm
Bush and his merry band of scumbags are finally overreaching...and people arer waking up...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050519/ap_on_go_co/patriot_act_1&printer=1

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7899754/

Wake up!! Wake up!!!! Take back America!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,112 • Replies: 55
No top replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:05 pm
Unfortunately, there are still too many who believe that's exactly what Bush is doing with his policies--taking back America.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:06 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Unfortunately, there are still too many who believe that's exactly what Bush is doing with his policies--taking back America.

but less and less of them everyday..... :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:18 pm
I suppose the next logical step would be to simply do away with the judicial branch of the government altogether and institute the kind of kangaroo courts that Stalin set up in the 1930s to try dissidents. Five minutes before a judge, a confession read in open court, then a bullet in the back of the head. I swear, this country might be girding for a revolution.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:37 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

but less and less of them everyday..... :wink:

Why not give them the powers they need to combat terrorists here on American soil? I know you are concerned about abuse, but has there been any abuse? Have there been any reports of abuse? Have people disappeared off the streets never to be seen again?

Given how the media operates here it wouldn't be hard to figure out if they are abusing the power. I'm willing to give my govt the benefit of the doubt on issues such as this. Do you not want to because you don't like this administration? Would you object as strongly if it were someone who you liked and trusted.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:43 pm
I absolutely would object as strongly.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:43 pm
Quote:
I'm willing to give my govt the benefit of the doubt on issues such as this.

This the same govt that was "having the intelligence aligned to support the attack on Iraq", thats another way of sying theyre cooking the data
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:48 pm
farmerman wrote:
Quote:

This the same govt that was "having the intelligence aligned to support the attack on Iraq", thats another way of sying theyre cooking the data

If you say something enough people will beleive it, "having the intelligence aligned to support the attack on Iraq". You should really try soing some reaearch prior to 2000 and see what you come up with.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:51 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I absolutely would object as strongly.

and let me add that it would strain both my trust and my liking of the person who did it no matter how much I liked them previous.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:52 pm
farmerman wrote:
Quote:

First of all, it's not about giving "my government the benefit of the doubt." It's about suborning the Constitution which guarantees me freedom and privacy in my personal effects absent a court order. Given a choice between safety which is achieved by a limitation on some of my freedoms and freedom at the cost of safety, I will choose the latter every time. I'm not particularly afraid of terrorists; I'm terrified of my own government at this stage in history. Secondly, I totally agree with farmerman on this -- give the benefit of the doubt to a government which cooks the data until it is well done? I think not.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:00 pm
From the Yahoo Link BVT provided in first post:

Quote:
Roberts' planned bill also would make it easier for prosecutors to use special court-approved warrants for secret wiretaps and searches of suspected terrorists and spies in criminal cases, the committee aides said.

Quote:
Wiretaps increase 19 percent in 2004

WASHINGTON (AP) - The number of secret court-authorized wiretaps across the country surged by 19 percent last year, records show. As law enforcement authorities scurried to keep apace of improving technology favored by criminals, not a single application was denied.

State and federal judges approved 1,710 applications for wiretaps of wire, oral or electronic communications last year. Four states -- New York, California, New Jersey and Florida -- accounted for three out of every four surveillance orders, according to the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts. That agency is required to collect the figures and report them to Congress.

The numbers released Thursday do not include court orders for terror-related investigations under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which reached a record 1,754 warrants last year, according to the Justice Department.

In nonterrorist criminal investigations, federally-approved wiretaps increased 26 percent in a year to 730 applications, while state judges approved 980 wiretaps, an increase of 13 percent....

Officials said most applications, some 1,308, were for drug investigations, while racketeering or gambling wiretaps accounted for a combined 128 wiretaps.

Yeah, I'd say there's reason for concern.

What does the increase in wire taps have to do with terrorism?

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mcherald/news/nation/11522049.htm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:48 pm
Yeh, Id heard that . Im glad you got the link there squinney. Id heard that for all the surveillance methods employed with warrants sought via "PATRIOT ACT" all of them were for drugs,n hoods ,n RICO stuff. That makes me feel all safe and warm.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 02:09 am
there's nothing patriotic about the "patriot act". the name alone should be a tip that it's just more b.s.

play that 9/11 string, man. that tune always makes 'em geddup an' dance.

and yeah, sure does seem that the p.a. brings down more dopers than bombers. (although i know a few stoners that still roll "bombers". Laughing )
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:41 am
Quote:
I know you are concerned about abuse, but has there been any abuse? Have there been any reports of abuse? Have people disappeared off the streets never to be seen again?

Um.... it's been in all the papers. People who somehow end up in Egypt or Syria or Jordan after being arrested in the United States and those people are just the ones we KNOW about. What's to prevent anyone disappeared from staying disappeared? For three years the prisoners at Guantanamo were not identified to any outside person, not to a court, not to a lawyer, not even to the military authorities holding them.

Joe(paging Mr. Kafka, Mr. Kafka, you have a message.)Nation
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:02 am
Joe Nation wrote:
People who somehow end up in Egypt or Syria or Jordan ...

hmmm. well, we know that laura is going to egypt, jordan and israel. it's george we can't seem to keep tabs on...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:13 am
Don't forget the attorney from the Northwest that was snatched and sent over seas. His life was pretty much ruined. It was a real pleasant thing for his family, too from what I read.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:24 am
"Recipients could challenge the subpoenas in court and the Bush administration would have to report to Congress twice a year exactly how it was using this investigatory power, the aides said."

Seems like there is a check and balance here.

What exactly are you afraid of?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:51 am
woiyo wrote:
"Recipients could challenge the subpoenas in court and the Bush administration would have to report to Congress twice a year exactly how it was using this investigatory power, the aides said."

I'm afraid that with this change the burden of proof, or even of probable cause, seems to have shifted to the suspect rather than the government. That's not supposed to be how things work here. That IS however, the way things work in third world dictatorships.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:56 am
FreeDuck wrote:
woiyo wrote:

I'm afraid that with this change the burden of proof, or even of probable cause, seems to have shifted to the suspect rather than the government. That's not supposed to be how things work here. That IS however, the way things work in third world dictatorships.

That is a "whine", not an answer.

They can challange the subpoena in court. They will report to Congress twice a year. Abuse of this power will be checked by Congress AND the courts.

What is it exactly that you are afraid of?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:58 am
If the CIA or the FBI comes busting into your home and you are held indefinitely without formal charges or anyone knowing where you are I woiuld think that would make challenging a subpoena in court a bit problematic.
0 Replies