0
   

Did God Create Him/Herself?

 
 
Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:29 pm
How did God create himself?

What was before God?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,095 • Replies: 165
No top replies

 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:32 pm
THE central question in the prime mover thesis. Those who object to the notion of literal creation point out that the universe could just as well be eternal as any deity.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:38 pm
Here, let me make that a little clearer, with an imaginary conversation:

HE: God created the universe.

SHE: Who created God?

HE: No one, God is eternal?

SHE: Entia non sunt multiplicanda, God would be an unneeded intermediary--the universe itself could just as well be eternal.

HE: Say what ? ! ? ! ?

SHE: Your fly's down.
0 Replies
 
Algis Kemezys
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:54 pm
God created allright
http://www.pbase.com/alkeme/image/6551152
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:52 am
There is also this possibility, which I am unable to substantiate:

Since all of our observations can be understood only through the entities of space and time, it may very well be that God has either fabricated or created these.

Some interesting corollaries are possible: One is that time started with the first creation, identified in the bible as Jesus.
0 Replies
 
Derevon
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:57 am
Setanta wrote:
THE central question in the prime mover thesis. Those who object to the notion of literal creation point out that the universe could just as well be eternal as any deity.


Which leads to this contradictory question: What caused cause and effect?
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:03 am
Derevon wrote:
Setanta wrote:
THE central question in the prime mover thesis. Those who object to the notion of literal creation point out that the universe could just as well be eternal as any deity.


Which leads to this contradictory question: What caused cause and effect?
Exactly. God would, by definition, not be subject to the same laws of cause and effect as are we. He is, after all, the supreme lawgiver, the one whose name means "He who causes to become".

See, Derevon, there are a few things with which we can agree.
0 Replies
 
Marquis de Carabas
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:10 am
No, God did not create God.

We did. Aren't we spiffy?
0 Replies
 
Algis Kemezys
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:59 am
God in Hindi means generator operator and director
0 Replies
 
Rex the Wonder Squirrel
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:59 am
Actually, Setanta, that's extremely flawed. The universe has been proven to have had a beginning-- thus, it is not eternal. God, however, requires no beginning.

That's the plain and simple of it. If you'd like me to elaborate further, just ask, but I don't feel like launching into an all out explanation unless I need to.
0 Replies
 
Algis Kemezys
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:01 pm
In the seventies we had a commercil where they tricked mother nature into thinking margarine was her own sweet dairy butter.The results of fooling her were not very nice.
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:16 pm
Well, when Moses asked him his name, didn't God refer to himself as "I am that I am?" This might suggest that he did, or, to paraphrase a "Star Trek" episode: "I am my own beginning and my own ending."
0 Replies
 
Algis Kemezys
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:47 pm
so who ate the margarine ?
0 Replies
 
Algis Kemezys
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:47 pm
so who ate the margarine ?
0 Replies
 
Algis Kemezys
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:47 pm
so who ate the margarine ?
0 Replies
 
Algis Kemezys
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:59 pm
Ohm
0 Replies
 
Eorl
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:41 pm
Rex wrote:
Quote:
The universe has been proven to have had a beginning-- thus, it is not eternal. God, however, requires no beginning.


Come on Rex, you know better than that.

The point is: the whole argument of "Everything has a cause, so the first cause must be a god" breaks down when you start excluding things like gods from the category "everything"
0 Replies
 
puglia
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:54 pm
Alpha-Omega ...always was here always will be.

The spoken word, sound vibration.Word before language is acoustic frequency. Every element living, and non living matter has a specific frequency that it vibrates at. (scientific FACT)

You who call yourselves believers, Hippocrates! On one subject you say you are believers and here in this thread you are questioning the truth. Where is your faith.
0 Replies
 
extra medium
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:24 am
puglia wrote:
Alpha-Omega ...always was here always will be.

The spoken word, sound vibration.Word before language is acoustic frequency. Every element living, and non living matter has a specific frequency that it vibrates at. (scientific FACT)

You who call yourselves believers, Hippocrates! On one subject you say you are believers and here in this thread you are questioning the truth. Where is your faith.


Judge not, lest ye be judged the same as ye hath judged.
0 Replies
 
extra medium
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:25 am
puglia wrote:
Alpha-Omega ...always was here always will be.

The spoken word, sound vibration.Word before language is acoustic frequency. Every element living, and non living matter has a specific frequency that it vibrates at. (scientific FACT)

You who call yourselves believers, Hippocrates! On one subject you say you are believers and here in this thread you are questioning the truth. Where is your faith.



Judge not, lest ye be judged the same as ye hath judged.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Did God Create Him/Herself?
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 08/19/2022 at 01:58:09