What was before God?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,692 • Replies: 165
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:32 pm
THE central question in the prime mover thesis. Those who object to the notion of literal creation point out that the universe could just as well be eternal as any deity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:38 pm
Here, let me make that a little clearer, with an imaginary conversation:

HE: God created the universe.

SHE: Who created God?

HE: No one, God is eternal?

SHE: Entia non sunt multiplicanda, God would be an unneeded intermediary--the universe itself could just as well be eternal.

HE: Say what ? ! ? ! ?

SHE: Your fly's down.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:54 pm
God created allright
http://www.pbase.com/alkeme/image/6551152
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:52 am
There is also this possibility, which I am unable to substantiate:

Since all of our observations can be understood only through the entities of space and time, it may very well be that God has either fabricated or created these.

Some interesting corollaries are possible: One is that time started with the first creation, identified in the bible as Jesus.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:57 am
Setanta wrote:
THE central question in the prime mover thesis. Those who object to the notion of literal creation point out that the universe could just as well be eternal as any deity.

Which leads to this contradictory question: What caused cause and effect?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:03 am
Derevon wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Which leads to this contradictory question: What caused cause and effect?
Exactly. God would, by definition, not be subject to the same laws of cause and effect as are we. He is, after all, the supreme lawgiver, the one whose name means "He who causes to become".

See, Derevon, there are a few things with which we can agree.
0 Replies

Marquis de Carabas

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:10 am
No, God did not create God.

We did. Aren't we spiffy?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:59 am
God in Hindi means generator operator and director
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:59 am
Actually, Setanta, that's extremely flawed. The universe has been proven to have had a beginning-- thus, it is not eternal. God, however, requires no beginning.

That's the plain and simple of it. If you'd like me to elaborate further, just ask, but I don't feel like launching into an all out explanation unless I need to.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:01 pm
In the seventies we had a commercil where they tricked mother nature into thinking margarine was her own sweet dairy butter.The results of fooling her were not very nice.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:16 pm
Well, when Moses asked him his name, didn't God refer to himself as "I am that I am?" This might suggest that he did, or, to paraphrase a "Star Trek" episode: "I am my own beginning and my own ending."
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:47 pm
so who ate the margarine ?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:59 pm
Ohm
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:41 pm
Rex wrote:
Quote:
The universe has been proven to have had a beginning-- thus, it is not eternal. God, however, requires no beginning.

Come on Rex, you know better than that.

The point is: the whole argument of "Everything has a cause, so the first cause must be a god" breaks down when you start excluding things like gods from the category "everything"
0 Replies

puglia

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:54 pm
Alpha-Omega ...always was here always will be.

The spoken word, sound vibration.Word before language is acoustic frequency. Every element living, and non living matter has a specific frequency that it vibrates at. (scientific FACT)

You who call yourselves believers, Hippocrates! On one subject you say you are believers and here in this thread you are questioning the truth. Where is your faith.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:24 am
puglia wrote:

The spoken word, sound vibration.Word before language is acoustic frequency. Every element living, and non living matter has a specific frequency that it vibrates at. (scientific FACT)

You who call yourselves believers, Hippocrates! On one subject you say you are believers and here in this thread you are questioning the truth. Where is your faith.

Judge not, lest ye be judged the same as ye hath judged.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:25 am
puglia wrote:

Judge not, lest ye be judged the same as ye hath judged.
0 Replies