Should I rent a car before I get to Italy? Why?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:14 pm
I once found some clothing sized ziploc bags - meant for packing christmas prezzies in. Perfect for travel laundry bags.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:41 pm
Kicky...when you get to Venice, see if you can find a shop on the Rialto Bridge called RIVOALTUS. Yes, it's right there on the bridge. It's a tiny little place, but they make the most gorgeous books and journals...all leather and handbound, ribbon markers, etc. There's a rustic old farm ladder propped up in the back corner of the shop that leads up to a small hole in the ceiling. They make the books up there....can't be enough room to even stand up. This was one of my very favorite places. Must've bought a couple of dozen things there, including my perfect trip journal which I am still using. (HINT: Blank books & journals make GREAT gifts.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:57 pm
Yeh, Eva's here. That sounds Fine, and I bet they cross the Rialto a few times. <hope he reads your post>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:02 pm
less than 24 hours!!!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:13 pm
I'm incredibly jealous and happy for you Kicky. You and your folks are going to have a blast!

Venice was my favorite place in Italy. I was in a jet-lagged daze, but I loved every minute of it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:21 pm
I fear he is now trying to sleep...

heh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:21 pm
Uh, oh, none of us mentioned an alarm clock..
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:31 pm
Yikes!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:34 pm
cell phone? Hmm... he doesn't have one of those. Bloody useful buggers.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:47 pm
Kicky, if you are travelling by Coach between Gatwick and Heathrow, it will take the time quoted on the information PIff or yourself(cant remember now) posted earlier.
It will stop at every Pub, shop that has a neon sign and public toilet en route.
It will probably go out of its way to find a rural area or two, in order to stop for passing cattle or sheep.
The travelling time by car or taxi, however, would be dramatically reduced.
Heathrow requires you to check in two hours before any international flight , see below.....
http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/tips.html

Whichever way you go, you will be cutting it too fine IMO. All you need is one traffic jam and you're buggered, so to speak.

It may be too late to catch you, but in the hope that you log into this while you are away, I would suggest that you contact the necessary ticket agent, and arrange to amend your flight to a later one.

I dont know the exact details of your return date, or time of arrival, but if you experience difficulty in changing the flight, you can PM me (I cant PM at the mo...........STILL) ...with an email address, and I will liaise with you re. my coming down to Gatwick and take you over to Heathrow.

Even if we did it that way...other factors may bugger things up (late arrival etc)
But, if you arrive on time....clear luggage pick up quickly, and run to my car, I would think that I could schlap you round to Heathrow in an hour. You may have to change underwear when you arrive at Heathrow, but you would get home without delays.

Change the flight Kicky.....lot easier. Get one that goes maybe three hours later.

P.S......I dont know much about Gatwick Airport, so I dont know whether you can do this, but maybe have a word with ticket agent, and ask whether there is a flight from THERE to NY. It would save a lot of faffing about if you didnt have to go to Heathrow.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:58 pm
Yeah, he may have gone to bed. If it were me, though, I wouldn't get much sleep. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:59 pm
I bet, Lord, that he'll check in at least once between now and then. Perhaps on the early morrow, or if not from a small caffe...

This reminds me of when JLNobody and I met recently. I was changing planes, and had to move between terminals, very fast. We had cell phones and as I was talking on mine I charged into Security from the wrong direction...
oh, anyway, I cleared that and took an airport whatsit to another terminal and to such and such a floor and then up the escalator to meet him at Magazines and then we had to walk fast to check me in on a computer at the next airline and then we found a, confound it, Starbucks, and had coffee and a very fast hi, how are you, and hug and then I just about ran through the lines of the next security and yes, yes, made the plane by spare minutes.
Damn, way too short for a good talk.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:07 pm
Piffka wrote:
kickycan wrote:
No check-in worries, which is going to come in handy when we have to go across town from Gatwick airport to Manchester airport in London on the way home with only a three-hour layover.

Piffka says "Eeeeeeek!!!

Manchester airport in London? Is there such a thing?"quote]

Eeeeeeek, indeed! I see he gave you the same sort of heart attack as he did to me.

I just happened to look at the thread just before I went to bed last night.
With the resulting adrenaline rush, I was wide awake for an hour!

Bloody Italians! What is it with them, and the need for drama?

Couldnt just fizzle out for a couple of weeks....oh no...had to go out with a bloody big bang!

I would have loved to see his face though, as he was searching for his tickets to see if it actually WAS Manchester. Glad it turned out to be nothing in the end.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:08 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Kicky, Whichever way you go, you will be cutting it too fine IMO. All you need is one traffic jam and you're buggered, so to speak.

It may be too late to catch you, but in the hope that you log into this while you are away, I would suggest that you contact the necessary ticket agent, and arrange to amend your flight to a later one.

I dont know the exact details of your return date, or time of arrival, but if you experience difficulty in changing the flight, you can PM me (I cant PM at the mo...........STILL) ...with an email address, and I will liaise with you re. my coming down to Gatwick and take you over to Heathrow.

Even if we did it that way...other factors may bugger things up (late arrival etc)
But, if you arrive on time....clear luggage pick up quickly, and run to my car, I would think that I could schlap you round to Heathrow in an hour.

Wise words & a kind offer. I started hyperventilating when I thought he needed to get to Manchester...

Quote:
You may have to change underwear when you arrive at Heathrow, but you would get home without delays.

Hmmm.... a little autobahning around London?

Kicky doesn't seem worried about the costs of changing the ticket. One thing I've found is that for domestic flights, if you have a (say) 2pm flight and get to the airport early, it is often possible to take an earlier flight without extra fees.

I don't know what we're worrying about, he is going to have a super time. We'll be envying you for the next few weeks, Kicky. Have an awesome trip.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:13 pm
By the way Piff.....any woman that exclaims "Eeeeeek" when confronted with a stressful moment, is rather cute, in my opinion.

It must be the femininity of the phrase, or something.....but it made me go all protective for a second.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:17 pm
It's been a fun build up to a trip. May they all not kill each other but have a memorable time. I have a bit of an odd view in that I am probably older than his parents... so I am kind of keen on their enjoying it too, and wondering how it will all work out, which of course

is none of my damn business.

buon' viaggio...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:18 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Bloody Italians! What is it with them, and the need for drama?

I don't know but at least he is running true to his roots. Or, maybe this will take some of the drama out of his system. Wait'll he hits a train strike or the cabbies won't roll. Shocked

And now I'm worried that HIS PARENTS (Obviously ALSO Italian!!) are taking too much stuff with them. He will naturally be obligated to help his mum carry her multiple bags. Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:29 pm
Yeah, the Italians do love drama! They can't do anything without it!

I've been laughing for hours over this statement by Osso....

ossobuco wrote:
Three hours - given no delay in Italy they should be ok...

ROTFLMAO! <tears streaming down face>

NOTHING ran on time when we went to Italy! NOTHING! Crises are normal there! Kicky will be fine once he figures that out and learns to expect the unexpected.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 12:23 am
Eva understands my sardonicity. 'Tis a little hard to pick up, for some.

The thing about italians - at least in recent years - is that their strikes are timed. They are probably findable on the internet, they go from x to x. Really, and I am not kidding, they are thoughtful strikes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 12:26 am
I think Kicky can bounce with the complete craziness of travel. Who knows re his parents. But they are his parents after all, and they raised a Kicky. There must be some playfulness about them... hmmm, think of it as diluted, and then what do we have..
0 Replies