Should I rent a car before I get to Italy? Why?

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:53 am
Yeah, Linkat, I checked into those discount fairs for multi-trip passes, and I don't think they will save us any money, since we won't be traveling by rail more than three or four times in total.

I just had people telling me to get the railpasses early, so I thought I'd look into it. But I'm not going to worry too much about it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:56 am
ossobuco wrote:
Some people get passes to save money and keep from standing in line, but when I counted my train rides up, I didn't find it would save me money, so I haven't used passes. However, if you want one of the fast trains from, say, Milan to Rome (I think they are called IC), you need to actually reserve a seat. Two of us had to stand in the aisle even though we had tickets - I hadn't understood that you have to reserve a seat too.

Aaah, now that is interesting...I don't want to be standing for a three hour ride, and I definitely don't want to have my parents be forced to stand. They will NOT be happy. Maybe I should go back and get the tickets ahead of time and reserve seats for us.

Thanks, Osso.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:56 am
Wait, I'm not sure what you meant there. Is it only on the fast trains that you might have to stand?
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:01 pm
There is an excellent bus service from Florence to Siena- the bus station is across the road from the main station. Takes about 1 hour 10 min.
To find a parking lot in Siena is not easy, especially on Wednesdays- market day.

Have a good trip!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:05 pm
That's the only time I've had to stand, and the only time I noticed any distinction between a train ride and actually obtaining a seat - but I think sometimes at busy periods they get crowded on regular trains on some lines. What I ended up doing on my last trip is getting the next tickets when I arrived in a city. The fastest train is more expensive and people do reserve for it. It may be that you can do that through your hotel's desk clerk - I'm not sure.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:08 pm
Okay, thanks Osso. And thanks to you too, ul! Grazie!

By the way, I noticed on Ricksteves.com that there doesn't seem to be a train that goes directly to Sorrento from Rome.

I wonder if that means I'll have to go to Naples and then take a local train to Sorrento, or if there is a bus or something that goes there. Hmmm...I heard that bus ride down the coast is incredible...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:22 pm
I just found out that you can get tickets for a hydrofoil ride from Naples to Sorrento on the open sea!!! You can buy tickets right on the pier! That might be an awesome surprise to spring on my parents...
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:22 pm
http://www.sorrentotour.it/transportation/trainsandbusinfo.html

kickycan- most fast connections like ICE or Eurostar trains require a reservation.
We like to take busses for day trips- you can reach so many places where there is no train connection, especially in Tuscanny.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:23 pm
Ul, grazie mille. So have you heard anything about the Hydrofoils?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:26 pm
kickycan wrote:
I just found out that you can get tickets for a hydrofoil ride from Naples to Sorrento on the open sea!!! You can buy tickets right on the pier! That might be an awesome surprise to spring on my parents...

Oh yes, and take some Dramamine with you Wink
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:27 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Oh yes, and take some Dramamine with you Wink

Heehee...I am very tempted to do the hydrofoil thing...
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:27 pm
No, I haven't. But sounds interesting.
I have been only once on a trip to southern Italy-
my base for the last 15 years is Siena.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 02:44 pm
The bus from Florence to Siena sounds smart.... there's a bus stop right near San Domenico basilica in Siena, as I remember. I took the bus once from Siena to Arezzo, a nice ride.
Nice to see you here, Ul...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:57 pm
Mmm, re the hydrofoil, I'm remember a torturous passage from Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad, heh. But I guess that wasn't a hydrofoil trip he was describing.

I don't actually know what a hydrofoil is. Is it some sort of plane boat concoction? I think they had one of those that used to go to Catalina Island (26 miles across the Sea...).

Back when I've googled.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:10 pm
http://lancet.mit.edu/decavitator/Basics.html
This is different from what I was thinking of, which was more of a plane with landing skis... (oh, never mind).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:14 pm
hydrofoil

n 1: a device consisting of a flat or curved piece (as a metal plate) so that its surface reacts to the water it is passing through; "the fins of a fish act as hydrofoils" [syn: foil] 2: a speedboat that is equipped with hydrofoils that lift it so that it skims the water at high speeds; "the museum houses a replica of the jet hydroplane that broke the record"

Ooh, that sounds pretty cool...and fast...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:18 pm
Don't forget to pack the Gravol. During a break during a meeting, a colleague told me about his parents' recent trip to Europe. His mother had to keep spiking his dad's coffee with Gravol - airsick, carsick, seasick - heights, speed, curves, and waves all got to him.

Pack some Gravol - just in case.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:24 pm
I have never heard of Gravol, but I'll look for it. I actually think the Hydrofoil ride is only about 45 minutes long, so it shouldn't be a problem, but yeah, good idea to be prepared I guess. Thank you, Ehbeth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:28 pm
45 minutes can be a very very very long time if you're prone to seasickness. trust me.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:31 pm
https://www.biobands.com/images/Header_Retail_right.gif

These really work - no chemicals needed.
0 Replies