So-called friend

Tarah

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:35 am
It was my daughter's wedding on Sunday.

A friend, Pat, has just rung to thank me. She told me that she overheard another "friend" of mine being vindictive and hateful about me. The other people on the table were open-mouthed and horrified at what she said. Pat wouldn't tell me what it was and I most certainly didn't ask.

No one challenged this woman so I gather. They looked embarrassed and changed the subject.

What do I do now? Challenge her (I'm not good on confrontation) or never speak to her again?

I don't want a beautiful day spoiled but there's a dirty taste in my mouth right now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,183 • Replies: 43
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:45 am
From listeners being open mouthed its clear that people were shocked by this so called friend and they are on your side and dont agree with what was said.

Dont let it eat you up that nobody challenged her, most people dont like confrontation.

If somebody bad mouths me I assume they dont like me and if they cant be bothered to say it to my face they are NOT worth knowing.
Confronting her will give you the upper hand as she assumes you know nothing of her insults and youll catch her off guard.Dont be afraid, she is the one in the wrong.

Are you curious to know what was said about you?

Dont let it ruin the day,its a completely seperate issue, it justy happened to occur on your daughters wedding day
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:57 am
IMO, Pat is no friend. She tantalizes you by telling you about what the other person said, but won't tell you what she said. I think that Pat was being cruel. If I were you, I would keep that in mind when dealing with Pat in the future.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:01 am
Yeah, Pat does sound cruel by telling you something was said about you, but not willing to tell yuo exactly what it was.
I dont think it matters what was said, I reckon the issue is still with this other person.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:01 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
IMO, Pat is no friend. She tantalizes you by telling you about what the other person said, but won't tell you what she said. I think that Pat was being cruel. If I were you, I would keep that in mind when dealing with Pat in the future.

I agree with Phoenix. IMHO, Pat should have kept her mouth shut if she didn't want to tell the whole story. How do you know that Pat was telling the truth?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:24 am
Good grief, they are up early over the other side of the pond! We normally have the place to ourselves until about 3pm GMT. Must be spring in the air, or lerve (or both).

Anyway, I tend to agree with the general feeling that Pat was not exactly being a good friend by only telling you enough to get you mad. I know if I was in the same situation, I would either tell my friend everything, or leave well alone. Personally, I would have probably had a word with your other friend when she first made the "supposed" comments about you.

It would be wise to keep your own counsel for a while, regarding Pat, as she may be the sort of person that runs with both the Hare and the Hounds. What you say, or have already said to her, may go straight back to the person concerned in the form of gossip.

If it bothers you, tell Pat that you insist on having the full facts, as you plan on confronting your other friend. But remember that a)life is too short, b) she (the other friend) may have had too much to drink, and consequently said things that she normally wouldnt say (normal at weddings) and c) If it runs the risk of upsetting your daughter in any way, it is just not worth it. It would be horrible for her to think that events at her wedding caused you to be upset. She deserves to look back on her wedding day as something blemish free and wonderful.

Grin and bare it, for her sake. Then re-evaluate your friends at your leisure and take appropriate action at a time of your choosing.
But dont go returning the fire at this time. A still tongue is a wise head.

Good luck.....and good morning to all our colonial friends.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:30 am
I got some so-called friends
They'll smile right to my face
Oh, when my back is turned
They'd like to stick it to me
Yes they would
Oh no no, oh no no
There's only one thing I need to know
Whose side are you on?

I fly into J.F.K.
My heart goes boom boom boom
I know that customs man
He's going to take me
To that little room
Oh no no. Oh no, no
Whose side are you on, whose side are you on?

I got the paranoia blues
Fnom knockin' around in New York City
Where they roll you for a nickel
And they stick you for the extra dime

Anyway you choose
You're bound to lose in New York City
Oh, I just got out in the nick of time
Well, I just got out in the nick of time

Once I was down in Chinatown
I was eating some Lin's Chow Fon
I happened to turn around
And when I looked I see
My Chow Fon's gone
Oh no, no, Oh no, no
Whose side are you on, whose side are you on?
Well, there's only one thing I need to know
Whose side, whose side, whose side?

-Paul Simon
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:35 am
Oh look....a singing cat!

G'day Msolga.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:37 am
G'day Lord Ellpus! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:41 am
After I posted, I started thinking. The last time that I heard of a situation like this, was back in the days of junior high school. That was the sort of garbage that early adolescent girls did to each other to make thmselves feel powerful.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:41 am
Msolga, I'll bet you're in your slippers, just about to go to bed.....isnt this internet thing wierd! Dont forget to brush both your teeth, and your whiskers.

PS...I wasnt inferring that you only had two teeth by the way.....you know what I mean. Now, go and get your cookies and warm milk, a good book, and bugger off to bed.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:45 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
After I posted, I started thinking. The last time that I heard of a situation like this, was back in the days of junior high school. That was the sort of garbage that early adolescent girls did to each other to make thmselves feel powerful.

Absolutely! Rise above it, Tarah.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:48 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Msolga, I'll bet you're in your slippers, just about to go to bed.....isnt this internet thing wierd! Dont forget to brush both your teeth, and your whiskers.

PS...I wasnt inferring that you only had two teeth by the way.....you know what I mean. Now, go and get your cookies and warm milk, a good book, and bugger off to bed.

Absolutely right, Lord Ellpus. Bed time in about 10 minutes. Very sleepy person here!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:50 am
AND STOP WINKING AT ME !!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:54 am
Me? Wink at you?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:03 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

And that is exactly what happened here. They were obviously jealous and feeling catty about your daughter's wedding, if for no other reason than the mere fact that she, and you, were in the spotlight so, to make themselves feel powerful, one said something ugly and Pat, your so-called friend, told you only that something was said but is holding what was said over your head, again, as a means to feel powerful. She is NOT your friend.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:26 am
Frankly Tarah, if Pat would have been a good friend,
she had intercepted while the other "friend"
blasted you all over the table. She immediately would
have put a stop to it and made sure that the other
guests hear the truth.

Obviously, you are someone special, otherwise they
wouldn't be jealous and interested in talking about
you in that manner.

msolga, nice song Wink
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:52 am
Nicely put CJ. I would hope that most of us would choose that stance in a similar situation. If you pick on my friend, you pick on me. It should have been resolved the the original instigator put in her place without Tarah every knowing anything happened.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:27 am
Re: So-called friend
Tarah wrote:
What do I do now?

Back away from Pat. She is truly not a friend.

Look at the photos of the wedding, and enjoy the beautiful memories.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:00 am
If it helps, I had a family member get married a few years ago and the mess started at the bridal shower with her first cousin/matron of honor and worked it's way deep into the family. And it all boiled down to jealousy and the attention not being on her. Some people will do anything to get attention.
Some years ago I had a dear friend get married and I sat back, close enough but far enough away, to watch the entire wedding party practically fall apart over the choice of dresses and shoes and again, when it was all said and done, it was about jealousy and a craving for the spotlight. The maid of honor could not stand the bride getting all of the attention.

Weddings have a way of bringing out the true ugliness in people.
0 Replies