for those who have....how did u fully get over cutting??

Sun 26 May, 2019 06:46 am
i think i have but im curious as to how you guys have???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,817 • Replies: 28
Topic Closed

View best answer, chosen by kaylie-the-cutter
Below viewing threshold (view)
kaylie-the-cutter

Mon 27 May, 2019 01:02 pm
@mark noble,
ok...rude much...nobody wants ur input if you aint gonna say nothin nice...so howbout you go elsewhere
Ponderer

Mon 27 May, 2019 02:17 pm
@mark noble,
One more word from you to her and you will go the way of Montezuma III.
Ponderer

Mon 27 May, 2019 02:52 pm
@kaylie-the-cutter,
Good work. He should keep a low profile after that.

0 Replies

mark noble

Mon 27 May, 2019 03:22 pm
@kaylie-the-cutter,
That's not a personal response.
It's generic.
I don't believe anyone cares about anyone else's issues unless they are compelled to do so.

Or they stand to profit/benefit from intervening.

I have a colleague who joined my company about 12 years ago - He self-harmed, sharpened his canines, died his hair jet black, etc - Nobody dared intervene lest 'their' own superficial contentment be displaced.
I did - He's redirected that persona, and now runs marathons, etc - To raise money for (a multitude of charities) - Because he realised there are many people living difficult lives - And by helping others he found a purpose to exist.

My prompt for you to go elsewhere was not a 'sod off' - a2k is Not the place for a distressed person.

My advice is: seek help from actual professionals.
0 Replies

mark noble

Mon 27 May, 2019 03:24 pm
@Ponderer,
Pardon?
You the new internet sheriff?
Ponderer

Mon 27 May, 2019 05:42 pm
@mark noble,
You thought I was through with you. You evidently didn't even understand the topic of this post. It was about the fact that enough people did care about her that she was saying that she has stopped hurting herself. And then you offer your "prompt" to her to seek help from "professionals".
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Mon 27 May, 2019 07:20 pm
@kaylie-the-cutter,
I have someone who struggles with cutting in my extended family. I care about this, and I hope that you can get some help.

1. Getting into therapy really helps. This is a difficult problem... having help from a trained adult can give you the resources you need to deal with the cutting and the emotions around it.

2. My nephew has a support group of people who also are struggling with cutting. Once you get into therapy, I think this is standard for your therapist to connect you with a supportive group of other teens. It helps to have people who understand what you are going through and are trying to get healthy.

3. It also helps to be open with your family even though this is difficult. Your therapist can help with this. My family has learned that overcoming this isn't something a teenager does alone... therapy often involves working with a family to help create a supportive environment.

I wish you the best of luck (and I am very sorry for Mark Noble... please ignore him).
maxdancona

Mon 27 May, 2019 07:37 pm
@kaylie-the-cutter,
There are lots of stories of people who have overcome cutting. At the risk of being annoying, I am hoping that you are able to get help from a good therapist. That is the best first step.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/anxiety/cutting-and-self-harm.htm/

0 Replies

nimh

Mon 27 May, 2019 07:55 pm
@Ponderer,
His prompt to seek help from actual professionals is correct though.

It's not because we don't care, Kaylie. A lot of us have either been there ourselves at some point, or known someone close to us who was. A lot of us can relate with the feelings you describe.

We can share some words of comfort, and we can give you some good advice, as several posters in your other threads already did. But the best piece of advice is one several posters have already given you: reach out to people who can help you, face to face. A counselor, a therapist.

Depression is no joke. Cutting is a sign that you need help that goes beyond what anonymous people on an internet board can provide. You don't need the risk of running into some white knight with a saviour complex, which is always a possibility when seeking support online. You need to talk with people who know you well, hopefully your parents if you have a trusting relationship with them; and to talk with people who have the professional experience to dispassionately assess what you need and guide you through, step by step.

When you're depressed or overcome by anxiety, it feels like no professional would truly understand, that they wouldn't be able to help anyway; or just the thought of finding one, going there, dealing with it seems overwhelming. But that's a trap, that's how depression wins.

Same when it comes to sharing what you're feeling with people in your life - easy to think they wouldn't understand anyway, or to feel like you'd be burdening them. But that's a trap too. If you do have people you trust in your life (and I know not everyone does) - like parents, a best friend, maybe a teacher - share what you're dealing with, and seek professional help through them.

The hardest thing here is also the best thing: opening up with people you can trust, in your own life, and finding experienced help. And trying again even if the first person you turn to turns out not to be too helpful. It will help more than what a bunch of strangers on the Internet can say, no matter how well-meaning we might be or how well we might think we can relate.
izzythepush

Tue 28 May, 2019 03:02 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

You don't need the risk of running into some white knight with a saviour complex, which is always a possibility when seeking support online.

Did you read this Ponderer?

I can't talk for Nimh, but his post is addressed to you, and I get the feeling he thinks you're one of those white knights.

If he doesn't, I certainly do, and it's why I voted down your intrusive thread about the OP. You're not helping, you're highlighting and controlling.

The OP is dealing with these issues well enough on her own without you starting threads about her.

With the exception of Happy Birthday and Congratulations threads, starting a thread about another member is always wrong no matter how well intentioned.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 28 May, 2019 03:03 am
Ponderer wrote:

I see that my reply to you disappeared.

That means the mods removed it, carry on like that and you'll get a time out.
kaylie-the-cutter

Tue 28 May, 2019 04:43 am
@izzythepush,
yasss...you go!!!
i am starting to like you already
Ponderer

Tue 28 May, 2019 05:01 am
@izzythepush,
"Starting"...? "about another member"...? " wrong"...? "no matter how well intentioned"...?
intrusive...?
Where have you been? I haven't seen one word of well intent on the subject. Now you intrude to tell me what is write or wrong? That will be the day that I walk on my fingertips when you tell me what is right or wrong. On whose behalf are you stepping in, other than your own, to call right wrong? My intent was to share with the people who wrote to her, and did help her, the fact that she was better, and that she had edited her profile page to say that she was better, and that she was thanking the people who helped her get better. Your intent is and has been several times, starting it with me.
"...doing fine on her own...?
You don't have a clue. She wrote because she wasn't doing fine. Luckily, she didn't get the reply " Go elsewhere. Nobody gives a toss." until she wrote that, thanks to the people who really cared about her, she was doing better.
Even though her post has the words "happy, not-cutting, and not-depressed, the answers she received still talk to her like a "patient".
0 Replies

Ponderer

Tue 28 May, 2019 05:08 am
Now she has been turned against the person who cared about her most, who spent hours with her making her happy?
Who will proudly take credit for that?
Ponderer

Tue 28 May, 2019 05:11 am
Kay wrote "Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile "
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 28 May, 2019 05:33 am
@maxdancona,
agreed - my teen daughter has/had been cutting. She sees a therapist - she does not have any sort of group counseling, however, everyone is different so I would imagine a counselor would guide you to the best type of therapy that is available to you.

One thing that has helped my daughter is to find a more productive way to release stress because that is basically what she is trying to do. You need to learn how best to deal with stress. My daughter will do things like write in a journal to express herself, sketch pictures, even some mindfulness - these are breathing/relaxing exercises.

These do not replace going to a therapist but these are ways that the therapist has discussed that might help my daughter - alot of this is individual because there are different things you can do to release stress.
Ponderer

Tue 28 May, 2019 06:00 am
@kaylie-the-cutter,
Do you see that these people haven't even read what you wrote about not hurting yourself?
Maybe you have forgotten that I was the first person to talk to you. Maybe you have forgotten how you selected my answers to you. So I'll repeat my first words so hopefully you will never forget.

You will always remember when I told you~
Please don't hurt yourself.
Please~
Don't ~

I wrote that from my heart to yours.
I mean it now more than ever.
cherrie

Tue 28 May, 2019 06:21 am
@Ponderer,
You do know that this thread isn't about you, don't you?