OMG! CONDI (and BUSH & Now SCOTT) Still Thinks IRAQ = 9/11

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:31 pm
Lash wrote:
The 911 Commission found evidence that OBL and Saddam's intermediaries had at least three meetings.

This statement was iffy at best--it ought properly, based on the Commission report, to have said that intermediaries of both sides met. Now you're trying to allege that Hussein and bin Laden met, and that one or the other, or both, offered one another safe haven. You just make it up as you go along, don't you?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:34 pm
Lash wrote:
.... THAT IS EVIDENCE OF A COLLABORATIVE RELATIONSHIP.....

Lash, so answer a simple question:

Why did the 9/11 commission say that there was "no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship"?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:50 pm
The collaboration was one allowing the other safe haven in his country. That's getting together on something mutual.

It was not operational collaboration...meaning they didn't work together on an operation...that there is evidence of.

Set--

Don't make a fool of yourself. Read the report.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:55 pm
So your interpretation would be: They were working together, but not in order to do or to achieve something or to plan an operation, but merely for the moment of the meetings?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:58 pm
By the way, the report says that, at one point, Saddam offered 'safe heaven' to bin Laden, but bin Laden thought it wasn't such a good idea and instead went to Afghanistan.

No collaboration there either.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:02 pm
He was already in Afghanistan, and for the moment thought he was safe enough.

The offer was there. Doesn't that fact that Saddam offered cover to Bin Laden mean anything to you?

Would it have been OK to you for OBL to be safely tucked away in Iraq?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:03 pm
Lash wrote:
Set--

Don't make a fool of yourself. Read the report.

Typical Lash snottiness . . . i have a copy of the report on my desktop, oh thou snotty one, and i have yet to find any portion of it which states or even suggests that Hussein and bin Laden ever met.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:05 pm
I have the 9/11 report on my desktop, and can find no portion of it which even alleges that Hussein and bin Laden ever met. Can you perhaps point out where that is found in the report?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:06 pm
Read the thread
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:08 pm
Lash wrote:
Previous to the findings of the Commission, many people scoffed at the idea that OBL and Saddam would even meet.

They did.

I have read the thread.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:09 pm
Quote:
Though Bin Ladin had promised Taliban leaders that he would be circumspect, he broke this promise almost immediately, giving an inflammatory interview to CNN in March 1997. The Taliban leader Mullah Omar promptly "invited" Bin Ladin to move to Kandahar, ostensibly in the interests of Bin Ladin's own security but more likely to situate him where he might be easier to control.73

There is also evidence that around this time Bin Ladin sent out a number of feelers to the Iraqi regime, offering some cooperation. None are reported to have received a significant response. According to one report, Saddam Hussein's efforts at this time to rebuild relations with the Saudis and other Middle Eastern regimes led him to stay clear of Bin Ladin.74

In mid-1998, the situation reversed; it was Iraq that reportedly took the initiative. In March 1998, after Bin Ladin's public fatwa against the United States, two al Qaeda members reportedly went to Iraq to meet with Iraqi intelligence. In July, an Iraqi delegation traveled to Afghanistan to meet first with the Taliban and then with Bin Ladin. Sources reported that one, or perhaps both, of these meetings was apparently arranged through Bin Ladin's Egyptian deputy, Zawahiri, who had ties of his own to the Iraqis. In 1998, Iraq was under intensifying U.S. pressure, which culminated in a series of large air attacks in December.75

Similar meetings between Iraqi officials and Bin Ladin or his aides may have occurred in 1999 during a period of some reported strains with the Taliban. According to the reporting, Iraqi officials offered Bin Ladin a safe haven in Iraq. Bin Ladin declined, apparently judging that his circumstances in Afghanistan remained more favorable than the Iraqi alternative. The reports describe friendly contacts and indicate some common themes in both sides' hatred of the United States. But to date we have seen no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship. Nor have we seen evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in developing or carrying out any attacks against the United States.76

I reckon that's what you are talking about, Lash?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:19 pm
Hell. I pasted this identical excerpt a page or two back. And another one. How could you have missed it?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:21 pm
okay.

But still, one offering and the other guy declining isn't exactly working together, is it? Hence, no collaboration.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:22 pm
I see you've decided to ignore the quote of your post which i provided in which you contend that Hussein and bin Laden met. Kind of hard keeping that many objects in the air, eh? Juggling does not seem to be your strong point.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:24 pm
Lying seems to be yours.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:26 pm
Call me a liar to you snotty little heat's content. I've quoted the post in which you wrote that the two had met . . . here, i'll quote it again:

Lash wrote:
Previous to the findings of the Commission, many people scoffed at the idea that OBL and Saddam would even meet.

They did.

Who's the liar?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:29 pm
OOOH! I know! I know!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:30 pm
You've had your turn, Kick, now sit down and let someone else answer . . .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:36 pm
They met through intermediaries.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:39 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies