Ins & Outs of Contact Lenses

MinDSaY

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 06:19 am
I was a little frightened of putting them on at first. The optician taught me how to put them in and take them out. I've never tried hard lenses, mines are soft therefore quite comfortable. I forget I even had glasses. Taking the lenses out is quite easy, but it takes time to get used to them. I don't even need a mirror to put them in anymore.
0 Replies

Sensible

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:45 am
Hello - it is me again
Now, I'm having problems with 3 pairs of contacts tearing and/or chipping. The first time, was (I think) because the solution was too high - and it might have clipped in when putting the cap on, so now I only fill it 1/2 way. Very careful handling contacts (and nails clipped).

Then yesterday, I went to put right on - and see a tiny chip at top and go and replace it. Yesterday went into the pool with contacts (told I could - if I stay on top of water and have sunglasses on -which I did). Took contacts out when finished, followed same route, take out of right eye and it breaks - SAME THING - SAME EYE - BROKE TWICE.

I'm following everyone's instructions. Now they tell me that after pool, I should put eye drops in my eye, to put moisture back in as the pool can dry it out (didn't tell me that before).

The more this is happening, the more I'm starting to like the glasses. Also, with the contacts, close up vision still a little off, i.e. when writing a check, and or/looking at menu.

Now what am I doing wrong Crying or Very sad

Debbie
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:48 am
Might just plain be bad luck, Debbie. Are you using disposables/ short-use contacts? (I made up "short-use", I mean ones that are supposed to be used for only a week or whatever.) As far as I can tell, the shorter the period you can wear them, the more fragile they are (and also the more comfortable.) Longer-wearing contacts might be sturdier.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Sensible

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 09:04 am
contacts
Hi, thanks for your response. They are the kind you are to replace every 2 weeks. I'm going back there in a while AGAIN to get another replacement and show them, then she wants to see how I am taking it out of my eye. Right eye - easy to get them in and out. Left eye (problem eye- more difficulty)- but I am doing everything they told me. Kind of embarrased when I have to call the office for this, but they have been really nice. They have me using my thumb and index finger to remove. That is the only method that works - sweeping doesn't work.
Debbie

P.S. left lens is a little thicker due to prescription, right eye is thinner.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:47 am
I've had contacts for about ten years now. However, I don't have the soft ones. I have the hard ones that you use until they are very scratched or your eyesight changes or you break the thing after taking it out before going to bed and cleaning it too hard - oops, two pieces.... ;-)

It took me a while to get used to putting them in and taking them out. And the first container thingy I had was not very good - the lenses got scratched in it. So I guess you might want to be careful when closing the container, Sensible.

With the hard lenses, it is very easy for my now to put them in and take them out. To take them out, I use the 'Gus method' and I don't need a mirror at all. However, with hard lenses I get stuff in my eye more often and have to take a lense out to clean it. If I don't have any cleaning solution or anything, I just take the lense out, put in my mouth to clean it and put it back in. My sister can do that while she is walking... I need to sit down because I am always afraid of dropping the lense.

My mother, sister and brother all have lenses so someone is always sucking on a lense :-)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:41 am
sozobe wrote:
Might just plain be bad luck, Debbie. Are you using disposables/ short-use contacts? (I made up "short-use", I mean ones that are supposed to be used for only a week or whatever.) As far as I can tell, the shorter the period you can wear them, the more fragile they are (and also the more comfortable.) Longer-wearing contacts might be sturdier.

Good luck!

I agree, the disposable ones are so flimsy. I have the kind that last a year.
0 Replies

Sensible

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 12:18 pm
contacts
Well, I did find out part of the problem was me (which I figured)- other part was not.

1. I was given a very small bottle of artificial tears - which I though I was only supposed to use 1 week (which I did). Then, had only Very Happy been using the lens solution also as drops in my eyes (contacts). This was making my eyes dryer - so contacts would be dry when taken out instead of moist. Told to put the new eye drops in when taking contacts out (like artificial tears)

2. They had me practice taking them in/out and I showed them they come out folded - which I was trying to fix. They told me instead of doing that - where they could tear - just put the solution on them, and they should open.

3. She gave me one other suggestion that helps - in pulling down my lower lid with the (middle finger- which is the strongest finger)- that gives me a little more leverage in getting contacts in/out, where I don't use as many hands and/or fingers.

Thanks for much for all your help. I feel l learned more from all of you than the contact office.
0 Replies