Four ways Trump is trying to be king.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 06:15 am
@BillRM,
Nuclear weapons were always weapons of terror.

It's debateable whether they had that great an effect on the outcome of WW2.

Stalin invading, and capturing, Japanese territory in the last week of the war had at least as much an influence.

Kurt Vonnegut said that the fire bombing of Dresden was comprehensive enough without needing nukes.

We had enough to destroy the planet back in the 60s so we don't need any more destructive power.

Trump is doing a pretty good job of destroying the planet on his own.

We need to stop burning fossil fuels ASAP.
BillRM

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 06:16 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Why use a weaker warhead when a half-megaton warhead will do the same job?

LOL ................

Of course there is always the possibility that some of the nuclear winter computer models are correct bring an end to the concerns about global warming.

Could it be that is Trump secret plan to end the risk of global warming by having a large scale nuclear war using large nuclear warheads?

He might indeed be a true genus.
oralloy

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 06:21 am
@BillRM,
Nuclear winter predictions are very much correct. But so what? That's just more damage done to the enemy.

The ashes of the enemy's dead can bring starvation to the enemy's survivors. It's quite poetic really.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 06:28 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
We had enough to destroy the planet back in the 60s so we don't need any more destructive power.

These half-megaton warheads aren't more powerful than the megaton-plus weapons of the 1960s.

They are just more powerful than the other lightweight warheads that serve as MIRVs on solid-fueled ballistic missiles.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 10:47 am
@BillRM,
A whole genus all to himself, probably somewhere between Paranthropus and Sus.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 11:41 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If the Democrats take their cases to the courts and prevail, I think that Trump will abide by whatever the courts say.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
No. Seriously that delusion is scary and simultaneously funny. What a crazy political nightmare we're living in.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 01:38 pm
@NACHOFUNNYMAN,
NACHOFUNNYMAN wrote:

When liberals resort to name calling they know they have no logical argument. People like you are why he will win in 2020.

You're not particularly bright. Izzy isn't an American. He lives in the UK. Half a millisecond of looking on the site... ((cough cough ... his profile)) is enough to point that out.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 01:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
What a crazy political nightmare we're living in.

The nightmare is the Democratic party not accepting an election and its results. They are shitting all over the citizens of this country trying to undo an election they lost. The very democracy they say they want to save is what elected Trump.

You are just a loser, try dealing with that for a change.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Izzy has enough comments on US politics, it can be easy to mistake him for a US citizen.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 02:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
I thought my accent gave it away.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 02:35 pm
@NACHOFUNNYMAN,
People like me are why his trip to Portsmouth will be nothing but protests. Nobody wants that oily turd contaminating this country.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/3d8c2e7aff5fe177d9a431e34d463049c35aa302/0_0_4134_2326/4134.jpg?width=1280&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=d7875d9f2c0257f151ea1a1a1ed2eb4f
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 02:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
No. Seriously that delusion is scary and simultaneously funny.

If he defies court rulings, that will be grounds for impeachment. I don't think that he will do so.

Now, he'll certainly appeal all the way to the Supreme Court (as is his right) if he is unhappy with any rulings. But in the end he will have no choice but to do as the courts instruct.

tsarstepan wrote:
What a crazy political nightmare we're living in.

I don't perceive any nightmare. We're finally going to start building half-megaton warheads (that will be lightweight enough to serve as MIRVs if we so choose) for our ICBMs. Trump is preventing the left from violating the Second Amendment. There's an X-Men movie coming out in a couple weeks. Life is good.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 03:58 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
No. Seriously that delusion is scary and simultaneously funny.

If he defies court rulings, that will be grounds for impeachment. I don't think that he will do so.

Now, he'll certainly appeal all the way to the Supreme Court (as is his right) if he is unhappy with any rulings. But in the end he will have no choice but to do as the courts instruct...

Let me ask a question, and it really is a question, not an assertion. The Constitution created three equal branches of government - executive, legislative, and judicial. In general, they have no power over each other. The president cannot tell the courts what cases they must hear or order the congress to pass a law. Congress cannot command the courts to hear a particular case or order the president where he must move soldiers. This is called the separation of powers. The three branches are equal. Where is it written in the Constitution that the president has to obey a court decision? Don't give me precedent. Tell me where it says it in black and white.
oralloy

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 05:02 pm
@Brandon9000,
Article II. Section 3. "he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed,"

Article III. Section 2. "The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;"

Essentially it is the President's duty to enforce the law, and the courts are given the authority to say what the law means.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 07:48 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Article II. Section 3. "he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed,"

Article III. Section 2. "The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;"

Essentially it is the President's duty to enforce the law, and the courts are given the authority to say what the law means.

Article II. Section 3: he can take care that the laws be faithfully executed without obeying a court decision. A court decision is not a law.

The words that you're quoting here do not very specifically say that the courts have dominion over the executive branch. The Constitution creates three equal branches of government which generally have no power over each other. The president cannot order a court to do anything. Can the court find that Congress must pass a law?

Additionally, can a small town local judge order the president not to send his troops into a particular battle if someone sues him to counter his military decisions? If a judge ordered a president not to defend the country against an imminent attack, would he have to go through the lengthy appeals process? Could a court order that a declaration of War by Congress was unconstitutional and void? This seems like a murky area to me.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 07:49 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
He wouldn't even be a good President of his own fan club.

No, he would be a great president. Like he is now.

Everyone read this again.

This is actually funny.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 07:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This is actually funny.

Some facts are funny. The joke is on you.
0 Replies