So what's for dinner tonight?

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:44 pm
don't give one to the dog - particularly not a raw sprout !!one of cleo's favourites is a chew on fresh chives in garden - ooooh ! hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:54 pm
Roasted red skins and grilled bratwursts--simple, nutritious and a delight to a convinced Irish carnivore.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:25 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Piffka wrote:
Quote:
Jane -- What a feast! The pickle?? Is that traditional? I've never made rouladen. I'm wondering how you make it and your potato dumplings, too. Are both of those boiled/steamed in broth?

Yes it is a traditional meal. I had the butcher slice me thin long
beef steaks. I put salt/pepper on one side and had the
other covered with mustard. Then I put a slice of swiss cheese,
bacon, and a large pickle one one end of the beef, rolled
it up and held it with a metal pin. I rolled the rouladen in flour
and gave them in a large frying pan with hot olive oil.
I browned them on all sides and reduced the heat and let
it cook for good 1,5 hours. I also add beef broth to it and
in the end tomato slices (for the sauce). That's it!

As for the potato dumplings, I am not as good as my mother, who makes them from scratch - I'll buy the potato powder,
add some water to it, make the dumplings and cook them
in hot saltwater for about 20 min.

Thanks for sharing. When I go to a German restaurant again (perhaps in Leavenworth !!!!!) I will be sure and order this.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:46 pm
I made risotto with herbs, pinenuts and kale. It was ok.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:14 pm
One of the best German Restaurants Ive eaten at is in Frederckton New Brunswick. Its called Schades. They just have the schnitzels served with a simple salad with nuts and hot bacon dressing and scpaetle like momma used to make, just a teeny bit of onion and ever so slightly browned. Hamburger, if your over that way , its great. Theres really no place to eat after you leve Quebec and get into MAine. All the Maine food up that way is made with moose droppings and blueberries.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:15 pm
any wine with that? I admit I haven't been risotto queen lately, as I am more easily distracted than i used to be. But risottos should be delicious or there is something wrong with the recipe... in my never humble point of view...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:20 pm
Nope, no wine. I was drinking an IPA.

risotto making waxes and wans with me, too. Actually, cooking does in general.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:50 pm
littlek wrote:
Nope, no wine. I was drinking an IPA.

risotto making waxes and wans with me, too. Actually, cooking does in general.

Wait 'til you've been doing it another twenty years. You'll be wishing for those insta-meals the Jetsons had.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:25 pm
Er, I meant IN THE RISOTTO...

which reminds me of my very first risotto. Harvey, I think it was, mentioned adding vermouth in risotto. He had these giant bottles of vermouth in his cabinets, because he had a stock pot going most of the time and added vermouth to it. So, okay, I gradually simmered down six cups of vermouth with the rice.

Damn, that was good!!!!
But, not quite right, heh.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:08 pm
what's for dinner
The city of Fredericton has a long and colorful history itself, from the Acadian culture to the loyalist settlers to pirates who used to stash their treasures on the small islands dotting the river, to ghosts! Yes, ghosts.
One of the finest ways to experience Fredericton's history is by going on a walking tour hosted by the Calithumpians, a local theatre group founded by Peter Pacey. Pacey and his costumed ensemble take visitors through the streets, re-enacting scenes of historical interest, including the aforementioned ghost stories. The Calithumpians really make local history come to life in a fun and fascinating way. I don't know why more local theatre groups don't follow suit, for their program has been wildly successful.

here is a writeup about "schade's " restaurant in a new brunswick hospitality link :

"Before or after your tour, be sure to stop for dinner at downtown Fredericton's Schade's Restaurant for some of the best authentic German food this side of Europe. Wolfgang and Elvira Schade run a cozy, friendly restaurant with food that will have German natives thinking they are home again. There were so many varieties of schnitzel it was impossible to decide. Another specialty is Elvira's Hungarian Goulash. (We were lucky enough to get her to share the recipe.) The food at Schades is so good, it's worth a special trip if you are anywhere near the Fredericton area (and if you're a big fan of German cuisine, it may merit planning a trip to Fredericton). "

sounds good to me ! hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:19 pm
farmerman : here is schade's receipe for "hungarian goulash" :

Hungarian Goulash À La Schades

This recipe comes from Elvira Schade, from Schade's Restaurant in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. If you're ever up that way, a stop at Schades is a must. Their authentic German cusine is some of the best you'll have, anywhere. It's restaurants like this, tucked in small, out-of-the-way areas, that make traveling so much fun. You just never know what kind of treasure you'll discover.

1 1/4 pounds (500g) beef
1 1/4 pounds (500g) pork
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 large red bell pepper
1 1/4 pound (500g) onions, diced
4 T paprika powder (Elvira prefers Spanish Paprika)
2 T curry powder
1 T garlic salt
1 T onion salt
1 T cayenne pepper
1 T celery salt
2 15 oz. cans crushed tomatoes (875ml)
2 T vegetable oil
2 T corn starch 3
T cold water
Cut the meat into 1 inch squares. Using a very large pot (important!), heat the oil. When the oil starts to smoke, add the meat. Cook the meat, stirring frequently until browned. Add onions and bell peppers. Stir in the spices. Add crushed tomatoes. Fill the tomato can with warm water and add this to the pot.
Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix the cornstarch and cold water together. Pour the mixture into the goulash to thicken it. (Sometimes the mixture is thick enough without the cornstarch mixture as the crushed tomatoes and the paprika do the trick).
At Schade's, the goulash is served with homemade spaetzle and a garden salad.

Serves 6

***start cooking, farmerman ! hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:30 pm
Hmm, perhaps scallops and shrimp?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:39 pm
The goulash sounds wonderful and so do scallops and shrimp....
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:12 pm
Grilled shrimp. Oh my it's good. Marinate in lime juice, garlic, a little jalepeno, salt & pepper. Cook it over a hot charcoal fire. Serve it with a spring green salad. It doesn't get any better.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:25 pm
I'm nuking some "cuisine thai"

thai red chicken curry with thai style rice

mmmmmm, ok
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:48 pm
F-I-S-H !
marinated catfish, salmon steaks and shrimp, green beans, new potatoes in the jacket (german=pellkartoffeln), some lettuce leaves, sourcream with chives and parsley from the garden . just a simple sunday meal. hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:52 pm
I sauteed some true cod marinated in soy sauce, canola, ginger, and garlic last evening; I'm thinking of mixing the leftover piece with mayo and making a toasted oatnutbread and cod fish sandwich....

I wonder if a bread and butter pickle would work with that...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:59 pm
i'm glad osso found a "true cod". those "untrue cods" cannot be trusted; they'll turn into a mackerel before your own eyes. hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:16 pm
Well, there was this rock cod lying next to it....
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:11 am
Tonight we're having salmon. Wild King salmon...on the grill unless it's pouring down rain.
0 Replies