So what's for dinner tonight?

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 07:32 am
My dinner tonight will be 4-5 pints of lager, accompanied by a couple of bags of crisps (potato chips) and some dry-roasted peanuts. If I'm in one of a select handful of pubs in town, I'll be able to top up with a pickled egg or 2...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 07:35 am
Hope you get that pickled egg... everybody needs a little protein.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 07:41 am
Piffka, are you a fan of pickled eggs? Out of everyone I've ever asked, I've only met a handful of fellow-pickled-egg-munchers. I'm also a big fan of pickled walnuts. Have you tried them?
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:20 am
Several pints of lager and some pickled eggs?
Avoid open flames.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:38 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Piffka, are you a fan of pickled eggs? Out of everyone I've ever asked, I've only met a handful of fellow-pickled-egg-munchers. I'm also a big fan of pickled walnuts. Have you tried them?

Sorry. Not really a fan. :wink:

Never heard of pickled walnuts. Are they soft?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:56 am
The English have the worst food combinations, sorry to say.
I'm still traumatized from it, spending my time in summer
school in England, many many moons ago. Wink

Tonight, we'll have garlic chicken with Tomatoes and
Olives.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:56 am
Last night we had cheeseburgers with the mac&cheese, with all the fixins and a side of broccoli.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:18 am
Calamity Jane wrote:

Tonight, we'll have garlic chicken with Tomatoes and
Olives.

Why is the garlic chicken, obviously the key ingredient, treated with such indifference, while the tomatoes and olives, secondary ingredients, achieve capital letter status?

There's more here than meets the eye.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:26 am
Nothing significant gustav, just two typos http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/schuechtern/icon_blue.gif
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:47 pm
Garlic chicken sounds good! What kind of Olives? Wink

I agree, there are some strange combinations in the UK... beans on toast for breakfast comes to mind. However, they sure know their way around strawberries & clotted cream.

I think for dinner tonight we'll have Alaskan cod cooked in tomatillo salsa, brown rice with roasted garlic, vegies and a green salad.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:58 pm
Hmm, beans on toast....

Our favorite breakfast place is a little taqueria. I almost always get the ham & cheese omelet, then substitute rice, beans, and tortillas for the hash browns. Mmmmm.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 01:31 pm
You're right,cj, refried beans on a tortilla or a bean burrito is delicious & standard food around here -- yum yum. What I remember was baked beans on dry toast. It just seemed odd.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:35 pm
Piffka wrote:
Garlic chicken sounds good! What kind of Olives? Wink

I agree, there are some strange combinations in the UK... beans on toast for breakfast comes to mind. However, they sure know their way around strawberries & clotted cream.

I think for dinner tonight we'll have Alaskan cod cooked in tomatillo salsa, brown rice with roasted garlic, vegies and a green salad.

Piffka, I buy the olives from an old Greek guy at our local farmers market.
My little one could live on olives. This morning she had a toast spread with
Tapenade.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:17 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
The English have the worst food combinations, sorry to say.
I'm still traumatized from it, spending my time in summer
school in England, many many moons ago. Wink

It's funny, reading about all the different types of food that people eat.
What seems odd to one, will seem normal to another. Baked beans on Toast (Piffka, I dont like it on dry toast...butter every time) is a quick "anytime meal" in Britain, cheap, hot and nutritionally healthy. Most Brits will have this at least once a week.
A GOOD Brit breakfast (for blokes maybe more than women) would be bacon (2), eggs(2), sausage(2), beans and black pudding, served with a large mug of tea or coffee and a couple of slices of toast. If eaten in the right surroundings (old fashioned style cafe, pronounced "caff", with sixties music playing in the background, big bottle of HP Brown sauce and a good newspaper to read), most British men would be in their element.
I go into cafes with my brother in France (rural) and see people starting their day with a bowl of Onion soup. Some even pour a glass of red wine into it..... Beans on Toast odd?
In Hungary, we sat there at breakfast one morning at our friends house, and were served various cold meats set in aspic jelly, straight from the fridge. We ate this politely, with hot chocolate served out of a teapot. After ten days, we returned to England and virtually dived headfirst into a salad, because we had not eaten tomatoes, lettuce or any other salad veg in all the time we were there.
Different combinations of food are eaten from one Country to another. It may seem odd for me to eat cold snot with bits of meat in it for breakfast, but in a perverse way, that part of a foreign trip is one of the most enjoyable. Maybe it makes me appreciate the little things of "Home".
Personally, I will try anything....even refried beans (sounds like something that would give you food poisoning), because I normally find that I enjoy it. Maybe not the cold snot though.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:28 pm
Oh, sorry....I should have answered the topic question.
I have already eaten tonight (10.25pm here) and we had a traditional English meal consisting of:-

Hyderabad Chicken
Chicken Madras
Sag Aloo
Bombay potatoes
Saffron Rice
Pilau Rice
and Peshwari Nan

washed down with
a Bottle of Chateau Genot Boulanger "Mercurey" Red wine

and half a dozen antacid tablets, dissolved in premium quality tap water.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:34 pm
That's true: every country has its own cuisine, yet the
Brits are not famous for theirs Wink Although the Indian food
in England is excellent and the fish & chips are always
edible as well.

It also took me quite a while to adjust to american food.
When I lived in NYC, people just grabbed something along
the way. Deli's are big there.

Out here in southern California, we eat healthy, lots of salad,
fruits, vegetables, fish and chicken.

I do like mexican food, but just not for breakfast.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:06 pm
Think i'll go kill sumpin' an' eat it . . .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:30 pm
Ooooh. Tapenade for breakfast? Pass the Tums.

We have olive bars in practically every grocery store here. I am very attached to the green garlicky olives at one of the bars, but I keep hoping to find the good green olives we ate in Spain. I think they may have been stuffed with salted fish which doesn't sound particularly appealing, but they were delicious.

Washington state has a west coast cuisine similar to yours, Jane, but with a heavy Japanese/Chinese influence.... and verybody eats "Mexican" (it is probably better classified as Tex-Mex) food.

Refried beans... I don't know why it is called that. It is twice cooked and sort of a bean mush. The kind we buy is non-fat so I don't know how it could really be fried. <shrug>

The Indian dinner sounds wonderfully good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:31 pm
Piffka, i believe the Spanish stuff their largest and best unripe Manzanilla olives with anchovies . . . god i love those . . .
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:33 pm
I like anchovies too - I put them in Ceasar salad and on
pizza.
0 Replies