Dinner : time?

Yalow

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2022 03:29 pm
Where you live, is dinner at noon, or in the evening?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,308 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2022 05:47 pm
@Yalow,

dinner is at night, here at our house in boston...
The Anointed

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2022 07:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
Breakfast, dinner and tea or supper at our place.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2022 09:58 pm
@Yalow,
If you describe lunch as dinner, you are probably living in a State in the lower south of the U.S. Mostly people who ran farms used this phrasing. Not the big commercial farms or factory farms, the smaller family run farms.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 05:41 am
@glitterbag,
When I was a kid lunch was called dinner.

School dinner money, not lunch money.

I imagine the money thing hasn't changed, but dinner is now in the evening and lunch at midday.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 06:30 am
@izzythepush,
The traditional evening in Germany is called (in German) "evening bread" (Abendbrot), while between 12h and 14h we have the "midday meal" (Mittagessen).
When you phone someone at lunchtime and can't reach him, she/he is "at the table" ([zu Tisch). And that table might well be in his home.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 08:39 am
My mother was from Oklahoma and my father from Texas. We always called lunch dinner. Now that I'm an adult even in Texas we call the evening meal dinner. I think the media we are inundated by has lots to do with erasing localized patterns of speech and making our accents less pronounced.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 12:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
We still separate dinner from supper, we're still pretty agricultural out here in the sticks.

We eat dinner around two or three and supper is a lite salad, cheese and crackers, soup - just enough to fill the corners at around six or seven.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 12:16 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Supper is more of a Northern thing, down South 8t's Dinner.

It would only be supper if it was particularly late, say if you'd had dinner about 6 or 7 then had a long night and had something substantial before going to bed.

Then there's tea and high tea, as well as elevensies thrown into the mix.

When I was in America and we talked about meals they thought we had all of them which would be about eight or nine meals a day, which would be really bloody going some.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 12:48 pm
Depends - dinner is the larger meal of the day or at least the one in which we all gather together to break bread - typically most days dinner is the evening meal as that is usually when the family all gets together - lunch usually mid day - as we are all away from each other - at school or work.

Sundays or holidays dinner is usually in the afternoon - 1 or 2 ish - as that is when we would all gather.

So yeah the time for dinner is cultural ----
0 Replies

ausquery

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2022 10:11 am
@Yalow,
Sif dinner is a lunch anywhere. That's why we got a noun for each meal. Where u from guessing u actually do have call the afternoon meal a dinner
0 Replies