http://news.ft.com/cms/c0897c5c-4491-11d8-81c6-0820abe49a01.jpgsource
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,709 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:23 pm
If you guys want my mugshot and fingerprints before you let me in...

I don't want to visit. Simple as that.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:30 pm
That's okay, we're getting plenty of hispanic tourism......doh!
0 Replies

not2know

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:41 pm
Adrian wrote:

hey! as long as you join the Army we'll let you in without mugshots or fingerprints :wink:
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:36 pm
not2know wrote:
Adrian wrote:

hey! as long as you join the Army we'll let you in without mugshots or fingerprints :wink:

That isn't true. They take your picture for your military ID and when you are going through in processing to sign papers they take your finger prints. So you are stuck either way.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:40 pm
Can't really say I blame you, Adrian.
0 Replies

George Jetson

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:42 pm
Why shouldn't foreigners hate America? Most Americans hate America now. I do. Blame it on that filthy piece of garbage who lives in the White House. He is destroying this country.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:47 pm
not2kn ow -- you're not suggesting that this is the only reason why other people hate America, are you?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:58 pm
I could careless that people hate America. If it is because of Bush then that should be some conern that he is being effective. After all I don't want the EU to like my leader, that leads him to do things the EU wants him to instead of what the US people want him to.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 07:31 pm
I think it's not so much hate as indifference.

America is so wrapped up in itself that everyone else is now saying, well play in your own sandbox, we'll find somewhere else.

That I think would be more damaging that straight-out antipathy.

I get the feeling that there's more interest in China these days - as a trading partner and as a place of interest.

It's the emerging superpower and emergent superpowers - as opposed to mature superpowers - seem to attract more attention from the rest of the world.

I think America's century is over and the world is looking elsewhere now.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 07:34 pm
goodfielder wrote:
...America is so wrapped up in itself that everyone else is now saying, well play in your own sandbox, we'll find somewhere else....I get the feeling that there's more interest in China these days - as a trading partner and as a place of interest....

...and as a fascist dictatorship that shoots its people down in the streets as they demonstrate for democracy.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:38 pm
duplicate
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:39 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
...America is so wrapped up in itself that everyone else is now saying, well play in your own sandbox, we'll find somewhere else....I get the feeling that there's more interest in China these days - as a trading partner and as a place of interest....

...and as a fascist dictatorship that shoots its people down in the streets as they demonstrate for democracy.

Which is why I wouldn't go there as a tourist. However that doesn't stop multinational companies from setting up there (some might argue that sort of government suits their interests) and I know that tourists go to Tianmen Square to, in part, see where it all happened. Still, that's progress for you. People have short memories, companies have no ethics. It's the way of the world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:45 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

You mean as in Kent State University, May, 1970 . . . four dead, thirteen wounded (one of whom was paralyzed below the waist for life)?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:48 pm
I do not recall the US having a fascist dictatorship in 1970... odd...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:55 pm
You really do live in the Emerald City, don't you, McG? I knew there was a reason why you seem to have so little grasp on what's happening in, say, Kansas.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:57 pm
What is that supposed to mean Merry?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:03 pm
MA, perhaps Mr. Nixon simply slipped his mind.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
What is that supposed to mean Merry?

Merely that you seem to be out of touch with reality. Either that, or you deliberately misread posts that you disagree with. Setanta's remark, obviously, was not meant to accuse 1970s USA of being a fascist state, only that people get gunned down by armed military in places other than China and that those places sometimes are located on the North American continent. Calling the kettle black only calls attention to the shortcomings of the pot.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:08 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I do not recall the US having a fascist dictatorship in 1970... odd...

That's not the issue McG, and you know it.
Do you recall the incident?

Quote:
On May 4, l970 members of the Ohio National Guard fired into a crowd of Kent State University demonstrators, killing four and wounding nine Kent State students. The impact of the shootings was dramatic. The event triggered a nationwide student strike that forced hundreds of colleges and universities to close. H. R. Haldeman, a top aide to President Richard Nixon, suggests the shootings had a direct impact on national politics.

Source

Bears a resemblence to a "less civilized society"...ya think?

Quote:
JALALABAD, Afghanistan - Shouting "Death to America!" more than 1,000 demonstrators rioted and threw stones at a U.S. military convoy Wednesday, as protests spread to four Afghan provinces over a report that interrogators desecrated Islam's holy book at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police fired on the protesters, many of them students, trying to stifle the biggest display of anti-American anger since the ouster of the ruling Taliban militia 3 1/2 years ago. There were no reports of American casualties, but the violence left four dead and 71 injured in Jalalabad, a city 80 miles east of the capital, Kabul

Source
0 Replies