Men take better care of their cars than their health .....

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:18 am
That's the subject of a discussion on ABC radio I'm listening to right now.

Do you think it's true?

I do:
My father would have to be almost at death's door before a visit to the doctor.
And my former partner/ex! Shocked Never!

so what is it about men & doctors?

And why are their cars better maintained than their bodies?

Please explain.
I've always wanted to know. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,944 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:22 am
Yeah? . . . so what's yer point?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:25 am
Yep, it's true. My car can't maintain itself.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:25 am
The point, doggy person, is that mens' attitudes to their health mystifies me. I mean, really ....

Like, when was the last time you visited your GP without prompting by a significan other? Hmmm?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:27 am
A year ago, and i don't tell my sweetiepie about my health unless it is unavoidable . . . she is too prone to worry as it is.

My GP would agree with you, but i ain't budgin' an inch . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:28 am
You know, this does make one think . . .

. . . the jeep is really overdue for an oil change.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:28 am
patiodog wrote:
Yep, it's true. My car can't maintain itself.

See! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:30 am
Setanta wrote:
My GP would agree with you, but i ain't budgin' an inch . . .

But WHY is this so? Confused
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:31 am
msolga wrote:
The point, doggy person, is that mens' attitudes to their health mystifies me. I mean, really ....

Like, when was the last time you visited your GP without prompting by a significan other? Hmmm?

I'm an American student. I don't have a GP, nor can I afford one.

That said, when I could, I got some dental work done, but never got around to visiting my friendly neighborhood HMO. I did go to the emergency room twice in 1997, though.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:34 am
... I mean, is it considered a sign of weakness to consult the doctor unless one is seriously ill? Is health something that is not high on the list of male priorities?(unlike cars!) Do men find it difficult to talk about themselves ...?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:38 am
msolga wrote:
... I mean, is it considered a sign of weakness to consult the doctor unless one is seriously ill? Is health something that is not high on the list of male priorities?(unlike cars!) Do men find it difficult to talk about themselves ...?

Wow, that's all very dramatic. For a young guy like me, you'd probably be better off chalking it up to laziness and/or cheapness. It's a pain in the ass to schedule an appointment, show up for it, pay for it -- blah blah blah blah blah.

The car I can deal with myself, waiting for a nice day when I've got nothing else to do, listen to some tunes, get a little greasy. Good times.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:39 am
patiodog wrote:
msolga wrote:
... I did go to the emergency room twice in 1997, though.

This is what they're saying on this program I'm listening to, patiodog. That men wait for an emergency before the visit. Women tend to go in for "maintenance" & have much stronger relationships with their GPs.

Hmmm, as a student in the US, is their no subsidised medical assistance available? If so, that stinks!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:40 am
The medical industry in the United States is heavily subsidized out of the pockets of those who can ill-afford--either by being obliged to pay so much for their care directly, or by the indirect means of the taxation of personal income.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:41 am
patiodog wrote:
The car I can deal with myself, waiting for a nice day when I've got nothing else to do, listen to some tunes, get a little greasy. Good times.

Ah, I think I've got it!:
Car = good time.
Doctor = bad time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:43 am
Bingo ! ! !

Ladies and Germs, we have a winner . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:43 am
msolga wrote:

I consider it a sign of weakness if a man does NOT consult a doctor if something is awry. That is not to say that a person has to nitpick over every itch and sneeze. But many men are like ostriches. They stick their head in the sand, hoping that the symptoms will just go away. In most cases, they will.

But most lay people do not have the knowledge or experience to differentiate between the symptom of a serious illness, and a minor inconvenience. That is why, to me, a person should see a doctor for a regular checkup at least once a year, and more often if he is diagnosed with a chronic illness. A trip to the doctor is in order if new symptoms appear that seem to be out of the ordinary.

There are a number of illnesses, that with some medical management, may be controlled. If left alone, they might kill you. During my life, I have heard so may stories about people who died, but could have lived had they had the illness diagnosed before it was too late.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:46 am
I had to go to the ER when I got strep.

But I take care of myself better than my car. Going to the doctor or not, 90% of the people in this country don't have a clue on how to feed themselves without getting fat, then blame it on genetics.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:51 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I had to go to the ER when I got strep.

But I take care of myself better than my car. Going to the doctor or not, 90% of the people in this country don't have a clue on how to feed themselves without getting fat, then blame it on genetics.

It's really a case of taking responsibility for your own health, in all sorts of ways, isn't it? I can't say I'm exactly perfect in that regard, either.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:54 am
I come from very healthy stock (knock on wood). There's no cancer, no heart disease -- no premature death (except for accidents) anywhere in my family.

Except for one thing: everybody on my father's side starts to lose their mind between 65 and 70. Full-on freaking barmy. And they all make it to at least 85, unable to recognize their own family members for the last two decades.

So making sure my body lasts a long time isn't really high on my list.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:58 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
... There are a number of illnesses, that with some medical management, may be controlled. If left alone, they might kill you. During my life, I have heard so may stories about people who died, but could have lived had they had the illness diagnosed before it was too late.[/color][/b]

Phoenix

Yes, true.
It's interesting that it's considered "normal" for women to have regular pap smears & breast XRays for cancer (free for women over 50 were I live), but there isn't the same concern about the cancers that men get.
0 Replies