how do you make a relationship last?

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 12:26 pm
hey i havent been going out with my boyfriend for long, i really like him, and we get along so well, but i am quite knew to the whole dating thing, unlike him so i dont want to ruin things and i want to play my part and i really want to do the best i can to make this relationship last, i'm sure there are people who have come across many tips in life of how to keep a relationship going - and make it last please help thanks xxxx Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,126 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dave 24

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:05 am
How old are you? What are some of his interests, and your interests, and what do you have in common. For example Golfing, fishing, movies, walked, or working out. Maybe going for a walk in the rain.( when it's warm out) make a nice dinner. Lots of things that you can do to keep thinks going in your relationship. Just don't over do it. Everyone is going to have a low time and then a high time in a relationship. How long have you two been together? All you need is each other, and that's all that matters. For example my soon to be wife and I both live about 3-4 hours from our home town. (parents) and went to visit them this weekend. She drove a extra 2 hours to come down south to get me only to drive an extra 4 hours north. But we had a great talk, she snuggled me as I drove. It was a great time to just talk, and get to know each other more. Even though we are together and on our way to being wed. We both still have to try, and do the little things for each other. Even buying a flower, or writing a poem from the heart.
0 Replies

princessmirabella

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:10 am
thanks for the advice - i'm 15 by the way hehe
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:12 am
Hehe you guys have gone on one date and already you're worrying about this??

Ok I'll be serious.
If you guys are pretty new then one of your biggest problems is the conversation drying up before toy get a chance to get to know one another. So try to avoid dates like hanging out in a coffee place on your own, or going out to dinner and actually DO stuff instead - like go skating / bowling / watch a film / go to a concert - you know stuff that fills the silences and gives you something to remember
0 Replies

dave 24

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:20 am
Ok, at 15, don't worrie so much about making the life time mate/relationship. Your young. Just hang out togeather, have fun, enjoy life. Your more then likely going to have your heart broken, and your going to break hearts. Just take things really really really slow. You have all your life ahead of you. It's great being in a relationship, but don't let it take controle of your life. HAVE FUN WITH YOUR LIFE
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:18 am
It is real simple... find someone you can be yourself around and he can be himself around you. that way you never have to pretend you are something your not.
0 Replies

Proteinn

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:59 am
Re: how do you make a relationship last?
princessmirabella wrote:
hey i havent been going out with my boyfriend for long, i really like him, and we get along so well, but i am quite knew to the whole dating thing, unlike him so i dont want to ruin things and i want to play my part and i really want to do the best i can to make this relationship last, i'm sure there are people who have come across many tips in life of how to keep a relationship going - and make it last please help thanks xxxx Smile

For one, do not TRY to make the relationship last by getting into the stress of "acting right". That will ruin everything. Concentrate on him rather than yourself and have as much fun as you can. Do NOT try to be the way that you think he would want you to be. Just be who you really are. If you think the relationship will not last when you act the way you really are, then so be it. Life is short and you really wouldn't want to spend it with that kind of stress. Believe me.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:42 am
15? You've got 10 YEARS to play with
and enjoy many different things.

Don't make it last. Make it rich, and create some outrageous memories ... and then you can pick and choose.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:48 am
Remember, two people are needed to make a relationship. Even the most loving and giving woman can't make a relationship work all by herself.
0 Replies

princessmirabella

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:32 pm
ah thanks so much for the advice... it's just online, i get confused like with how many kisses he does at the end of each convo... stupid huh its so much better in real life when i see him, msn just makes me confused, and so i try too hard on msn i think i should just be myself thanks
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:32 pm
princessmirabella wrote:
...i think i should just be myself thanks

you can never go wrong just being yourself.
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:13 pm
I'm kinda pessimistic about the subject: all of them come to an end sooner or later
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:05 pm
rodbogey wrote:
I'm kinda pessimistic about the subject: all of them come to an end sooner or later

Unless the right one comes along. By the right one, I mean someone that loves you through the bad times, too. And knows that honesty, combined with lots of respect goes a long way. That will pour their love down on you like rain. Covering every part of you. Even during the times when you don't seem so loveable. :wink:

That kind of love can and does last. It's just finding it. Most of us never do. Confused
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 11:19 pm
Hey how nice brooke. You always find a way to say beautiful things about whatever you're posting. Liked that rain methaphor, very visual. Yes, it's sad that most of us never find that kind of love.

I think I'm in a pessimistic moment because not too long ago -it's past a little less than a year- I ended a relationship for which I might have had too high expectations. We both like to read, go to the movies, art, philosophy, etc. And then, all of a sudden, I realized that ever since I had been with her I read less, watched less movies, our conversations became kind of boring or just about every day issues. Anyway, we lost almost everything we care about when we were only friends. That lead me to thing that, eventually, every relationship, no matter how strong it is, comes to an end. Maybe I'm wrong -actually I hope I'm wrong- and there are relationships that can go a long way. Who knows.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 11:56 pm
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
rodbogey wrote:

Unless the right one comes along. By the right one, I mean someone that loves you through the bad times, too. And knows that honesty, combined with lots of respect goes a long way. That will pour their love down on you like rain. Covering every part of you. Even during the times when you don't seem so loveable. :wink:

That kind of love can and does last. It's just finding it. Most of us never do. Confused

I was going to debate you on the intellectual and semantic position of what you said.
But then I suddenly wanted to marry you.

Weird, huh?

You will obviously never be at a loss for "true company" and the flood of reality that a committed friendship takes. <sigh> I hope you smoke or have some bad habits, because such a rich and thoughtful smile . . .
0 Replies