When Christianists Attack

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:49 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
"The likes of you."

Well that's a body blow from which I can't recover.

If you wish to insist that the death of an innocent child is not more important than whether or not some people are thrown out of a church, as I said before...so be it.

Shrug. I don't want to sit around trading insults with you.

No? You could have fooled me.

But yes, you are using the death of a little girl as a political point, and yes, it is rather unimportant compared to actual events.

If you believe that the horrific murder of a child is less imortant than a nutty pastor tossing Liberals from his congregations...so be it.

Some have argued on this thread that one can feel outrage over both instances, without minimizing or maximizing their outrage for one or the other event.

True enough.

Predictably, you refuse to latch on to this reasonable argument. Instead, you insist on arguing that the horrific murder of an innocent pales in comparison with a screwy pastor in NC throwing Liberals out of his congregation.

By no means need you cave in to any argument from "the likes of me," but you should consider that there is (or should be) no gratification in taking a position opposite mine, if it is untenable, and ridiculous.

You really should take a class in probability if you don't think the sort of thing that happened to this girl happens five times a day in America alone. Sad? Of course. More important than other events? Hardly.

What utter nonsense!

Do you really mean to suggest that five young children are murdered, beheaded, and thrown, naked, into the woods every day in America?

Do you really mean to contend that the laws of probabilty dictate that five children die grisly deaths each day in America?

Assuming that five children are murdered each day in America (perhaps you can offer proof for this contention) it is, arguably, reasonable to suggest that these deaths are not as significant as terrorist attacks that result in 3,000 deaths or Tsunamis that result in 100,000 deaths. It is absurd to argue that they are not as significant as a NC pastor ejecting Liberals from his congregation.

Perspective...

Don't make me laugh.

You are tied to an idiotic argument because your ego will not allow you to admit you are wrong.

There is no sense of perspective contained within your argument, unless you happen to reside on the Bizzaro world.

Cyclo, let me give you the following sincere advice: Stay out of deep waters.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:56 am
Please!

You are a fool if you don't believe this sort of thing happens EVERY DAY here in America, Finn!

Ask yourself: If ONE IN A MILLION Americans is killed as a child and tossed in the woods (and that's a pretty low assumption) PER YEAR, that's still almost 300 kids a year! PROBABILITY, Finn!

The deaths of these children are regrettable. I'm not trying to say they don't mean anything to the people involved. But to society as a whole, it is a long-standing, existing problem to be dealt with and really isn't as newsworthy as the Church story; I can't ever remember a Church kicking out Democrats in my lifetime, but the number of children who have been murdered in that time has to number in the thousands.

Also, do me a favor and keep your empty f*cking admonishments to yourself. I don't need lectures on morals from the likes of you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 01:05 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Please!

You are a fool if you don't believe this sort of thing happens EVERY DAY here in America, Finn!

Ask yourself: If ONE IN A MILLION Americans is killed as a child and tossed in the woods (and that's a pretty low assumption) PER YEAR, that's still almost 300 kids a year! PROBABILITY, Finn!

The deaths of these children are regrettable. I'm not trying to say they don't mean anything to the people involved. But to society as a whole, it is a long-standing, existing problem to be dealt with and really isn't as newsworthy as the Church story; I can't ever remember a Church kicking out Democrats in my lifetime, but the number of children who have been murdered in that time has to number in the thousands.

Also, do me a favor and keep your empty f*cking admonishments to yourself. I don't need lectures on morals from the likes of you.

Cycloptichorn

And yet I'm sure you support women's rights to abortion (as do I, do a point), yet you bring up morals? Not just that but f--king morals?

The emptyness is yours to bear.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:25 am
What is your point, Cj? That one cannot be pro-choice and moralistic at the same time?

I'm just not sure I understand what you are trying to say...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:02 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Please!

Cycloptichorn

For one minute, forget that I am the messenger and consider the message: You are contending that not only is the brutal death of a child less newsworthy a story than some NC pastor making an ass of himself by ejecting Liberals from his church, you continue to suggest it has less social significance, because it is a common occurrence.

People die in battle every day around the world. Far more, in fact, than children who are murdered. By your calculations, this means that the "Church Story" is more newsworthy than any coming out of Iraq, and the impact on American society of a lone pastor evicting people with whom he disagrees politically is greater than the war in Iraq.

Your ignorance of journalistic standards is surpassed only by your general ignorance.

My admonishments are chock full. That you would view them as empty is predictable. You mistakenly characterize as a moral lecture what is , in actuality, a belittling of your intelligence.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 05:56 pm
As I said earlier, I have no desire to sit around and trade insults with ya. It holds no interest to me whatsoever. All I can see is that you came into my thread, told everyone they shouldn't be discussing what they were discussing, and then proceed to admonish (emptily) anyone who doesn't agree with your worldview is morally bankrupt. Sorry, but that dog doesn't hunt around here.

Go troll up someone else's thread.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:01 pm
i only scanned throught this thread since it seemed to me that the initial topic had been lost to the unrelated nonsense...

but i didn't see that this had been picked up on, so here 'tis;

Pastor resigns after political spat
Ousted congregants say he mixed politics and religion

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 Posted: 6:25 AM EDT (1025 GMT)

WAYNESVILLE, North Carolina (AP) -- A Baptist preacher accused of running out nine congregants who disagreed with his Republican politics resigned Tuesday, two days after calling the issue "a great misunderstanding."

pastor resigns

i actually heard one of the congregants interviewed a day or 2 earlier. he was most unhappy about the pastor's misuse of the pulpit.

he was a republican and had voted for bush.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 05:57 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
As I said earlier, I have no desire to sit around and trade insults with ya. It holds no interest to me whatsoever. All I can see is that you came into my thread, told everyone they shouldn't be discussing what they were discussing, and then proceed to admonish (emptily) anyone who doesn't agree with your worldview is morally bankrupt. Sorry, but that dog doesn't hunt around here.

Go troll up someone else's thread.

Cycloptichorn

And yet you (and others) continue to respond.

How many different ways can you and your like-minded confreres castigate this lone loon in NC? Without me, this thread would have died long ago.

I'm sorry if I don't see these threads as circle jerks for a particular political point of view:

"This pastor is horrible!'

"Yeah, he is!"

"Yeah, he really is!"

"Don't you hate these Christianists?"

"Yeah, I really do! They get me so mad!"

Cyclo, you have convinced me to steer clear of your threads, not because your accusation of my being a troll resonates, but because it is just too easy to push your buttons. I'm somewhat ashamed of myself for resorting to tripping the crippled.

PS: Before anyone blows a gasket as respects my "cripple" comment, let me point out there are millions of cripples and this is just something society has to deal with. (Right Cyclo?).
0 Replies