When Christianists Attack

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:55 am
I wish this were funny, but it's not.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/5/6/84353/67437

Quote:
Democratic Church Purge Part II: Actionby georgia10
Fri May 6th, 2005 at 05:43:53 PDT

Yesterday, on the National Day of Prayer, we learned that the East Waynesville Baptist Church in North Carolina essentially kicked out its Democratic members. Nine members were "excommunicated" and 40 other members of the 405 member church resigned in protest.

From libnnc over at DU:

"One of the local women who got excommunicated said on TV that it was like a cult. Another man who got excommunicated said that the rest of the congregation stood up and applauded as the Democrats were told to leave."

You can see video of the news segment here, here(thanks Bob Hopkins), here (thanks Christopher Bair) and here (thanks to by foot). Read the blurb of the story on WLOS's site here.

Diaries :: georgia10's diary :: :: Trackback ::

The pastor, Chan Chandler, is around 31 years old. Apparently, he told the members of the church that if they voted for John Kerry or were Democrats, they were against the church. They had a choice to "repent" their sin or leave.

Why should we care? Because this is more about a rogue (hopefully!) church in North Carolina. We have a duty to stand by and support our fellow Democrats and liberals. We have to stand up for Democrats of faith and against the politicization of religion.

[Ed] Moreover, as many people astutely pointed out downthread, this not only is something we have to deal with as Democrats, but something that should not have been done /regardless of political affiliation/. The Democrat in me is offended by this, but I would be just as upset if the organization had expelled them for being Republicans, or Greens, or for any political reason. This is a broader issue than "they kicked out the Dems," and I thank those in the thread that emphasized that point.

Yesterday, we were shocked and outraged. Today, we act.

I was simply floored, reading about this.

Now I'm pissed.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,214 • Replies: 47
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:50 am
I'm not surprised. It seems like a natural conclusion to a certain kind of thought process.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:30 pm
This country would be better off if more people were kicked out of their churches.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:46 pm
I'm..... I'm....... I'm...... speechless.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:48 pm
Is it elitist to say that I'm not much worried about a loon in North Carolina?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:55 pm
damn extremist
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:19 pm
You're either with us, or......

...nevermind
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 02:55 am
DrewDad wrote:
Is it elitist to say that I'm not much worried about a loon in North Carolina?

Nope.

Nor is it elitist to say that one is dismissive of the a-holes who post 9/11 announced that we deserved the attack (whether because of our neo-imperialistic hunger, or our growing tolerance of homosexuals).

There is a breed of Liberals who want and need to get angry about these one-off expressions of idiocy.

Some jackass in BumF*ck Egypt engages in a ridiculous action, and the sensitive Liberals moan and groan about all sorts of evil deeds and intent.

They should save their anger for the sickening fate of "Precious Doe." A bastard stepfather kicks his 4 year old stepdaughter in the head and renders her unconscious. Because both mother and step-father are wanted by the police, they refuse to take the child for medical attention. After two days of being left on the kitchen floor, unconscious, the poor child dies. The step-father then decides it is smart to cut off her head.

The naked, headless body is left in the woods. The head is secreted beside a dumpster.

Spare me your anger (Cyclo) for anything if it is not overwhelmed by the anger over the fate of this poor child.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 03:02 am
Finn
That's pretty low!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 03:58 am
Are we to be told what to be angry over now? Can I be angry at both or do I have to choose?
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:33 am
Uh, is it offensive to say "duh"? because that's what I'm thinking.

Churches have been telling people how to think and feel for thousands of years. Now you object? Where were you during the inquisition?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 11:53 am
goodfielder wrote:
Are we to be told what to be angry over now? Can I be angry at both or do I have to choose?

My thoughts exactly!
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 01:31 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Nor is it elitist to say that one is dismissive of the a-holes who post 9/11 announced that we deserved the attack

No-one deserves a random large group of their countrymen to be killed. Whether it achieved good or not is a complex issue that's hard to untangle, (I personally vote no), but regardless it's never deserved.

Sorry, you just triggered a bit of a rant there.

Quote:
There is a breed of Liberals who want and need to get angry about these one-off expressions of idiocy.

Pish-posh, don't get so factionist. Humans are simple creatures programmed to believe what they see is near them, close to their lives and indicative of the whole universe. The clash between this and a mainstream media that picks extreme events from around the globe cause a variety of stupid behaviour that no one can really help.

Quote:
Spare me your anger for anything if it is not overwhelmed by the anger over the fate of this poor child.

I have limited anger over the experience. She was rendered unconcious and died without any pain (I got knocked out cold twice in my life with a hit to the head... it didn't hurt either time until I woke up). That people would do that disgusts me, but still I find that relatively low on my anger meter. Had she been horribly abused and then left to live as a shattered shell of her potential with grievous psychological wounds that last far beyond the lifetime of either parent, that would have me red hot with anger.

In fact the only anger I feel over the issue is your callous disregard for her life by using her to score a political point.

How are my priorities?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 02:49 pm
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
In fact the only anger I feel over the issue is your callous disregard for her life by using her to score a political point.

Put me down for disgust over using her for political gain. Not that one can expect much better from poor Finn.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 05:01 pm
I think this is more than just politics and it hits too close to home. I go to church every week and I hate to think I would ever get kicked out because I am a democrat or for any other political view I have.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:45 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Nor is it elitist to say that one is dismissive of the a-holes who post 9/11 announced that we deserved the attack

No-one deserves a random large group of their countrymen to be killed. Whether it achieved good or not is a complex issue that's hard to untangle, (I personally vote no), but regardless it's never deserved.

Sorry, you just triggered a bit of a rant there.

Rant is the word, but then, I understand the urge.

Quote:

Pish-posh, don't get so factionist. Humans are simple creatures programmed to believe what they see is near them, close to their lives and indicative of the whole universe. The clash between this and a mainstream media that picks extreme events from around the globe cause a variety of stupid behaviour that no one can really help.

There are, without doubt, certain breeds of Conservatives who engage in stupid behaviors, however the Liberals who do just seem to irritate me more, and so I will continue, notwithstanding your admonition, to point them out when I see them.

Quote:
Spare me your anger for anything if it is not overwhelmed by the anger over the fate of this poor child.

I have limited anger over the experience. She was rendered unconcious and died without any pain (I got knocked out cold twice in my life with a hit to the head... it didn't hurt either time until I woke up). That people would do that disgusts me, but still I find that relatively low on my anger meter. Had she been horribly abused and then left to live as a shattered shell of her potential with grievous psychological wounds that last far beyond the lifetime of either parent, that would have me red hot with anger.

How are my priorities?

Misinformed, and immaterial.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:42 am
As is your comparison - the two are quite unrelated - not to mention you appear to believe that people can/should only feel negatively about one thing. It is not an either/or - and your apparent belief that they are so is ridiculous. If it is, as I suspect, merely a rhetorical device, it is just as stupid - see above.

I don't give much of a tuppenny smeg about a loony priest either, however this particular idiot is apparently representing a broader institution, which is presumably why people are concerned.

And please do not try your false dichotomy on me.

I work with the results of disgusting abusive behaviour towards kids - I know all about it. This does not disqualify me from also commenting on the bad behaviour of people in other situations. I can walk and chew gum as well, actually.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:47 am
Thinking people should walk away from hysterical clergy, regardless of faith.

A "club" that tries to tell me WHAT to think is a "club" I do not want to belong to.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:54 am
It seems odd to call an institution a cult after one has been kicked out, and not have left of one's own accord prior to that event.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:42 am
BBB
My daughter-in-law's youngest (immature) son got married last week and has turned into one of the wacko christians in Alabama.

First, he came to visit them in Florida, where they recently located. He announced that he doesn't recognize his mother's marriage because she divorced his father before she married my son.

Then, he stole his sister-in-law's car in the middle of the night and drove it back to Alabama. When confronted about the theft, he announced that his church said what he did was not a sin "because god provides for him.

A real wacko. Breaks his mother's heart.

BBB
0 Replies