Germany Criticizes Turkey: No EU for Islamists!

old europe

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 11:27 am
Yes, that's basically how the situation is perceived in Europe, I'd say. Interesting post, though! And good to have somebody from Turkey talking about the situation.
Are human right violations discussed in Turkey, Proteinn? Is this a big issue, and what is the opinion in general? Are people worried, or are people only worried as this appears to be an issue that could prevent Turkey from becoming an EU member?
What do people think about a future EU membership?

Hope I'm not bothering you too much with so many questions!!
0 Replies

Proteinn

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:03 am
old europe wrote:
Yes, that's basically how the situation is perceived in Europe, I'd say. Interesting post, though! And good to have somebody from Turkey talking about the situation.
Are human right violations discussed in Turkey, Proteinn? Is this a big issue, and what is the opinion in general? Are people worried, or are people only worried as this appears to be an issue that could prevent Turkey from becoming an EU member?
What do people think about a future EU membership?

Hope I'm not bothering you too much with so many questions!!

Not at all! I'm glad you asked these questions, actually Very Happy

Human rights violations are discussed in TV shows and newspaper columns, but the opinions on these violations are quite diverse. It does look like, however, that most of our more nationalist/conservative citizens (about 10% - 20% of the population) avoid this topic like the plague, because it does involve a certain degree of "national security" issues. Many of these people can justify torture if it is being applied by the branches of the state (such as law enforcers and the soldiers) to the enemies of the state (terrorists, communists, whatever), but they can not voice their opinions aloud because it might jeopardize our relations with the EU. This answers one of your questions - some people tolerate human rights violations, but they do not say it aloud most of the time.

What is more important than the opinions of people is the way courts handle human rights violations - especially if the violators are officials of the state (i.e. policemen) and the victims are "enemies" of the state (ranging from as dangerous enemies as terrorist to as innocent enemies as university students voicing their own opinions). In those cases, the court will delay the case long enough to render it invalid or decide in favour of the violators. This is what troubles me most.

Hopefully all of this is going to change in the next two decades. People are becoming more and more aware of the seriousness of these violations and the injustice that is taking place. It wasn't their problem before - so what if a few communist students got beaten up and tortured? It is their problem too now. That is, if they want be a part of the EU (Another answer to your question - "Are people worried, or are people only worried as this appears to be an issue that could prevent Turkey from becoming an EU member?").

What do people think about a future EU membership? As far as I know, about 80% of the population harbor good feelings for the EU. These good feelings mainly originate from the economical benefits of being a part of the union. However, many citizens (including myself) are also aware of the fact that an EU membership is not only going to benefit Turkey economically, but it will also have deep social and cultural benefits as well. An EU membership will also ensure a more stable political ground for Turkey, which may be attracted to other political/cultural movements that may take place in the East.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:48 pm
Thanks a lot, Proteinn! Very interesting to read how things are seen from a different point of view. Though not that different from how people think about it here.
One more question: Would you say that radical Islamist movements might gain momentum in case the EU would decide against Turkey membership?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:26 pm
Good question, OE. I, too, have wondered whether, by opposing Turkey's EU membership, we wouldn't be driving the country closer to Islamic fundamentalism as a self-protective device.
0 Replies

Proteinn

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:29 am
old europe wrote:
Thanks a lot, Proteinn! Very interesting to read how things are seen from a different point of view. Though not that different from how people think about it here.
One more question: Would you say that radical Islamist movements might gain momentum in case the EU would decide against Turkey membership?

That is a question that many people have been asking here in Turkey as well and I do not have a straightforward answer to it. Islamic movements have always been an issue of national security for Turkey since the day it was established as a state with a secular regime, and it looks like this will continue to be the case for who knows how long.

However, as I said earlier, the average citizen is happy about democracy and secularity. The army sees itself as the defender of these core values and will act in the first sight of imminent serious threat from an islamic movement. There's no way that an islamic movement can overthrow government and establish an islamic regime in Turkey by force.

That said, if the EU decides against Turkey, the average citizen will probably still think in favour of democracy and secularity, but a wave of distrust against the western world may encompass them. Islamists will see this as an opportunity to promote their views and show how "evil" the western world is. An EU decision against Turkey may also lead Turkey to look for alternative diplomatic/social/economical/political/military allies, which may happen to be islamic countries. In that case, Turkey may or may not slowly turn into an islamic regime.

OR Turkey may continue to develop economically and culturally in its own dynamics, without allying herself with any other country.

No one can really tell right now.
0 Replies