Health info for Canadians

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:25 pm
It seems there's an epidemic of high blood pressure in Canadian teens. Please refer to the following link.

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/research-detail.cfm?reutersid=3440&nl=4

c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,593 • Replies: 5
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 06:28 am
Not apparent from the reading is the Canadian definition of hypertension.

The values, in the US, seem to be shifting for both blood cholesterol levels and BP values. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 07:28 pm
from my "unscientific" point of view, high bloodpressure is a subject of some controversy. first let me state that i'm 72 years old and have high bloodpressur(well controlled with medication); my colestoral level has always been very low - the family doctor doesn't even recommend a test more often than every other year. having read a couple of different reports, the first one from the u of western ontario(sponsored by a drug company) stated that even a SLIGHT increase in b.p. must be AGGRESSIVELY treated; the second one from the ottawa heart-institute claimed that a lot of readings are incorrect because of WHITE-COAT-DISEASE(just seeing the doctor seems to increase the b.p.). so i asked my family doctor to clarify(he is in his mid-40's, seems well-trained and experienced); "well' he said "you have a choice; but choosing a middle road would seem sensible".... the british heart-institute, by the way, has HIGHER normal b.p. values than we have in north-america........ go figure! anyone care to comment? hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 07:36 pm
In the states, we are told that 130/80 is the desired bp. Some say 140/80. My range is anywhere from 128 - 158/75 - 90 with med. I take my bp at different times of the day, but it doesn't seem to matter, although most heart experts tell us that bp rises at night. I'm open to hearing from others on what their physicians have told them, and what is considered 'normal.' c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 06:18 am
My BP always goes up, when I visit my internist. I take it at home and it's always lower.

Low cholesterol:
One must look at LDL, HDL and triglyceride levels. Low HDL is not good and high LDL is not good either. One has to look at total cholesterol levels and the gender of the patient.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 10:29 am
c.i.: my blood pressure is usually in the low 130 over low 80 range(controlled with medication). i suggested to my physician that perhaps i should start checking my own blood pressure. he looked me straight in the eyes and said: " sure go ahead, but you can save the money and trouble, and just enjoy life! " - which i do! a study i recently looked at claims that, for people with near normal b.p. a check every three months is sufficient(unchanged morbidity and mortality rates); another study claims that only 1/3 of all people having a stroke suffered from high blood pressure. remember guy lombardo and the royal canadians(new year's eve from the waldorf-astoria???)" enjoy your life it's later than you think ...." - i've got on old l.p. record with the song; i better play it again. ENJOY YOUR LIFE ! hbg
0 Replies