where do people meet these days?

JLLLLLL

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:41 pm
Re: where do people meet these days?
claire_40 wrote:
So, now that it appears that I'm single again, after 22 years, where do people go to meet these days? I know I don't want to go into bars and try to compete with the 20something crowd. I also know I'm not looking for an intimate relationship right now. I just would love to have a shoulder to lean on and a pair of strong arms to hold me. Divorce is tough when you're still in love and your spouse isn't. I have wonderful girlfriends, but it isn't quite the same as having a man around. It would also be nice to have someone appear to be interested, just to know I'm still okay. I'm sure someone out there understands what I'm talking about and can tell me how they got through.
THIS IS, ATEST TO SEE IF IAM REALLY IN THIS STATUS TO JOIN IN.
0 Replies

JLLLLLL

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:46 pm
I THINK THAT ALL LADYS SHOULD THINK OF GOING TO THE GYM BECAUSE THEY ALL GET TO COMFORTABLE WITH THEIR LIFE STYLE AND LET THEM SELVES GO I MEAN REALLY GO THEY GET TOO OUT OF SHAPE AND EXPECT THINGS TO BE HUNKIE DORIE WITH THEIR MATE LISTEN UP GET YOUR SELF ON THE MOVE AND SHAPE UP THOSE THIGHS AND THAT FANNIE IST WILL BETTER YOUR CHANCES TO KEEP THAT MAN.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:51 pm
JLLL--

Welcome to A2K.

Typing in caps as you have done is considered to be "shouting".

Where did you come up with the idea that Claire is out of shape? You enthusiasm for gyms seems a little out of place here.
0 Replies

alphaomega

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:14 pm
there is this girl that works behind the ocunter at the book store that looks at me. i dont' know how to ask her out the line is always busy what do i just stand there while buying a book an ask her? that seems a little awkward.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 02:02 am
Alpha, a smile is a good start.

JLLLLLL-Fannie means something completely different in the UK!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:29 am
material girl

These days people meet at work! They are so busy keeping up, meeting deadlines & keeping the company happy that they have little energy left over for much else. Sad, isn't it? Too bad if your work place is full of yucky folk! :wink:
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:42 am
Mines gota woman, who is lovely but Im not that way inclined, a couple of guys over 50 and a couple of guys in their early 20's.I get on with them but they arnt boyfriend material.Sadly there are no regular visitors, maybe twice a year.
One day a guy turned up for a 'meeting'(I use ' as this place is a dive and cant really be seen as a proper business place)He was quite saucy, everybody was introduced to him and i was overlooked!
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 06:41 am
I hope I don't come across as someone who has totally missed the point here, but when I lost my partner (1998) I was lost. We had been together since we were teenagers (for 10 years). I was only 26 and although I felt alone, I knew that I didn't want anyone else.

A friend of mine asked me to drive him to an animal sanctuary - where he was going to get a dog for his son. While we were there, and he was negotiating with staff, I caught the eye of a very depressed looking puppy, who whined through the bars at me and followed my movements as if knowing I was going to rescue him. He was the sorriest looking canine I had ever seen. He looked like he was about ready to give up on life. I remember staring at him and thinking, "You and me both, mate."
Anyway, I took him home.

The strange thing is, I meet a lot of people and get talking to a lot of people because of that dog.
His name's Kooba, and he makes me laugh all the time. He's brave and a little crazy, but a good friend.

I suppose what I mean to say is that after a major relationship break, it can be good to take some time off, get to know yourself better...(a dog helps because you can tell them anything and like a therapist they'll just sit there grinning at you).

As for searching for another partner...I know it's different if kids are involved, but I really think that friends are more important in times of loss or divorce. Talking through the last relationship (coming to terms with it) must come first. It's not good baggage to take into a new, personal relationship and you can get hurt badly when you are already alone and vulnerable.

Good Luck to all,

Peace,
E
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:57 pm
ENDYMION wrote:
A friend of mine asked me to drive him to an animal sanctuary - where he was going to get a dog for his son. While we were there, and he was negotiating with staff, I caught the eye of a very depressed looking puppy, who whined through the bars at me and followed my movements as if knowing I was going to rescue him. He was the sorriest looking canine I had ever seen. He looked like he was about ready to give up on life. I remember staring at him and thinking, "You and me both, mate."
Anyway, I took him home.

oh that is the sweetest love story I have ever heard of in my life. Of course, this is coming from a dog lover here, so excuse me if I sound paranoid. What breed is he?

ENDYMION wrote:
The strange thing is, I meet a lot of people and get talking to a lot of people because of that dog.
His name's Kooba, and he makes me laugh all the time. He's brave and a little crazy, but a good friend.

Its fact that dogs are a triggering factor in getting people to meet each other. I have a friend who is blind and thus needs a guide dog and he has said to me that so many people talk to him mainly because they want to meet his dog first.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:11 am
I have every sympathy for people who have lost their partners.It makes me feel awful when I whine on about being single.

I dont have or want a dog tho it is clearly a great way to meet people.

Maybe its just the area I live in.I went up to London a couple of weeks back and people were very friendly and strangers spoke to me!
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:03 am
pragmatic asked what breed of dog Kooba is.

Well, he's a mix of Border collie and .....something... and perhapes something else...

Now that he's fit and healthy he looks less like a mutt
and more like a scoundrel.

He likes Lemon Jelly.
(Listening to it....not eating it).

Peace,
E
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:46 pm
http://www.lemonjelly.ky/
0 Replies

pajamazzon

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:19 pm
i think a lot of people are going to coffee shops..i guess you can meet a lot of people from there
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:36 pm
pajamazzon wrote:
i think a lot of people are going to coffee shops..i guess you can meet a lot of people from there

Pajamazzon I was just viewing your profile - I'm sure you meet a lot of people in a lot of other interesting places as well! You sound such an interesting person!
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 04:52 pm
Hey Pajamazzon,

Good name Laughing
0 Replies