Why are liberals referred to as elitist?

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:24 pm
kuvasz wrote:
Both groups are wrong

I'll buy that too.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:47 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Leading off with a nazi reference never impressed me. Your post simply reinforces the concept of liberal elitism because all you have done is try to show that the opposite side has done the same thing or worse. Is the idea of liberal elitism so indefensible that all you can do is try to demonstrate the evils of the other side instead of examining the evil in the mirrior? Boy, talk about projection.

Actually, the reference was to the use of the propaganda technique you employed; one that was first used with wide affect by Dr. Goebbels, and projects onto opponents your own methods. You obviously have issues with being caught at it, and instead of admitting it, you responded by accusing me of things I did not do and of being a hateful person for pointing it out to you.

But if you want to wear a swastika, go right ahead.

Maybe you can get yourself one of those Waffen SS belt buckles. You know, the ones which say ""Gott Mit Uns" ("God is with us.")

Further your remark is a pretty good example of what I was referring to elsewhere by my earlier remark by:

Quote:
"both groups (religious and secular righ) attack those who question their motives and instead of defending themselves with the facts and proving the truths of their arguments, attack their opponents as "intolerant."

McGentrix wrote:
No, the ones that wish to keep murdering babies and using abortion as a method of birth control. Death is death and the liberal elitist seems to have no qualms with it. That is unless the person being killed is a mass murdering rapist, then look out!

You are demanding that others believe in what you do, and want the law to enforce your ideas of morality. It is exactly the behavior you level at "liberal elitists." Of course, when you do it its not the same, is it?

You might want to call the Vatican on the death penalty. I understand their credentials on this issue are impeccable. So I assume you will be calling the Pope an "elitist liberal" next.

McGentrix wrote:
No, I mean the ones that completely disregard the desires of a girls parents who only wish they could have their daughter back.

Oh, you mean the myriad of courts and judges (18 of them, I believe) who found no law or reason not to allow the husband (and who by law is the decision-maker in these situations) to seek his wife's wishes not to be kept alive in a vegetative state? The woman was brain dead and she was lost a dozen years ago. And it exemplifies yours and the standard right wing fetish of the body over the spirit, the denotation of dogma over the metaphorical connotation.

McGentrix wrote:
No, I mean the liberal elitists who wish to change two thousand years of tradition and religious sentiments because a tiny minority of a population is crying oppression. More government control over people's personal lives. Government and liberal elitists should keep their noses out of people's religions.

One must have a reason for tradition to be followed other than because "God said so!" And if you note, you made my argument, that it was the Right who wanted more control over the issue of a marriage contract. One would think that a conservative would nor want government interference in a contract between two competent parties, But here you are, ready to dictate private behavior via government force.

McGentrix wrote:
No, the ones that flee their state in order to keep a vote from happening because they may get their way.

Ah, Texas reapportionment is it? Where never before had a state re-do its federal districts twice after a census taking. That actually was quite a radical grab for power, that broke 200 years of established process for reapportionment, and it was done only for political purposes, not increased governing efficiencies. Wouldn't you call that a radical grab for power if it was done in a Blue state? Of course you would.

Or how the GOP House leaders broke with over 200 years of established procedure and kept open the voting on the drug prescription benefit plan over THREE hours past the House time limit, simply so they could cut backroom deals and arm twist members who had originally voted against the plan.

Had a Democratically controlled House done that, your ilk would be screaming bloody murder, but since your boys did it, no problemo.

These radical, "anti-traditional" things were done by the GOP. Both things far more radical attacks on established governmental rules than letting Steve marry John. So who there was acting as an elite? Those who wanted to do what had not been done before, or those who had respect for established government procedures and process?

You can not have it both ways when you say that you stand for established and traditional processes while you stand mutely by as your side rips them up when convenient for increasing their political power.

McGentrix wrote:
Nope, I mean the ones that are changing their positions to be more religious friendly because they realize that what the people of America are looking for.

So you are for overturning the 202 years of precedent of Judicial Review of legislation (Marbury v. Madison) because some right wing radicals do not like it when the court prevents the introduction of religious factors into government proceedings.

McGentrix wrote:
No, I am referring to those liberal elitists that thought containment was enough and that no terrorist would ever dream of attacking the United States.

Well, the first major attack was perpetrated by a fellow traveler of yours, a right wing, religious fanatic, Timothy McVeigh, in 1995. So, its hard for anyone to take your remark seriously that no one "would ever dream of attacking the United States."

Perhaps you really meant George Bush thinking "no terrorist would ever dream of attacking the United States."

After all, what was that National Security Council and CIA memo he got over a month before 911? What was the name of that memo? "bin Laden determined to attack inside the United States." What did George Bush do? Why he stayed on vacation for the next 30 days, that's what he did. So, apparently your argument is with George Bush. He was the one who did not think terrorists would attack the US. Not liberals. Liberals warned him the week he came into office that his administration would be spending a lot of time dealing with al Quida, but the Bush administration ignored the advice, just like it did the warnings, because they thought they knew better.

You might also admit that liberals were right about Iraq under Hussein, the trade embargo worked. The Iraqis had little more than sticks and stones to fight off the Americans in March 2003, precisely because sanctions WERE working.

McGentrix wrote:
No, I mean the elitists that never considered the weak position of the US military and used severe budget cuts to establish an illusionary budget surplus. The same ones that allowed companies like Enron and Adelphia run rough-shod over their employees and allowed a recession to start because they could not get a grasp on the economic events of the late 90's.
McGentrix wrote:
No, I mean the ones that want to pamper drug abusers and prisoners while ignoring the great many people in America that obey the law and try the best they can to get by in life. The only victim the liberal elitist knows is the one breaking the law and abusing the already over-burdened social support services.

That first remark is completely stupid. No one pampers drug users and prisoners. American prisons are horribly violent places and are a national disgrace. 2.1 million prisoners are housed in facilities meant for less than a third of the present population. More than one half are convicted of non-violent, victimless crimes. There are more men raped in jail every day in American prisons than women are on the outside. The US penal institutions cost tax payers nearly $150 billion a year, and rising so fast we simply do not know where we expect to get the money without increasing taxes.

Study after study that money spent on drug rehab reduces recidivism more than stiff prison sentences. One wonders how the latter improves the balance sheet of the government when the most efficient use of money is blocked for ideological reasons.

And you obliquely bring up "welfare queens" in a discussion on why right wingers, for purely ideological reasons do not admit the facts that undermine their policy positions on prison issue? How lame can you get.

McGentrix wrote:
No, I mean the ones that are threatening to fillibuster the vote for federal judges because they can not get their way and are afraid that a conservative judge may upset the delicate balance that Clinton built by nominating extreme liberal judges to the 9th circuit.

How many judges did Clinton have rejected versus George Bush? Show us all the numbers so we can see how goofy your remark really is.

Note to you, if those Clinton appointees were so liberal, how did thy make it past a Senate controlled by Republicans since 1995?

If you are going to act like a child and bitch about the Democrats supporting only 95% of Bush judicial appointments, then where was your outcry when the GOP supported a much lower percentage and stopped dozens of Clinton appointments from having a vote on the floor of the Senate.

You cannot have it both ways: in one case think it absolutely okay, in fact the right of the Senate to hold up dozens of judicial appointments from a Democratic administration, while complaining about constitutional usurpation when Democratic reject FIVE out of 205 Bush appointments?

There is no logical or ethical consistency in your argument. It is nothing more than an excuse for a power grab by the GOP and you support it.

You have no intellectual integrity on this issue.

McGentrix wrote:
No, I mean the ones that believe they know better than a teens parents how to raise their children.

Who believes that? You are referencing the recent Florida case where a 13 year old girl was permitted to have an abortion? She as that right even if the parents do not want her to have one. That girl is not property, even you think she is the property of her parents who can do wither as they wish. SHE IS NOT PROPERTY.

McGentrix wrote:
No, I mean the ones that write books like "what's wrong with Kansas?" or headlines that lament the stupidity of the American populace.

Do you mean those who have no idea of the working definition of what is referred to a "theory" in science; who also think the world is only 6,000 years old, that God create the universe in 6 days, that mankind sprang up all at once? That the entire Earth was flooded at once, that the Sun stood still in the sky over the walls of Jericho so Joshua could capture it and put every man, women, child and beast to death?

Are those who you defend as informed, intelligent people?

McGentrix wrote:
No, I mean the ones that keep complaining about programs like No Child Left Behind which has been trying to improve the education system through actual education instead of additional government programs and interference.

So those who are told to shove 10 pounds of $hit into a 5-pound bag and who point out that 1 + 1 does not equal 3 are complainers?

The NCLB law states certain criteria must be met in schools, but it pledged to supply the funding necessary to do the job. Well, the goals are still there, but the money to achieve the goals is not. You might as well ask a person to rappel down a 1,000 foot mountain face and give him only 500 feet of rope and declare that, "Hey, I met you half-way, stop your bitching!"

You might want to review the states who are opting out of NCLB and realize that the states doing so are headed by both democratic and republican governors.

McGentrix wrote:
The liberal elitist makes stupid comments about rich people not actually working for their money

Kuvasz wrote:
Quote:
You are of course referring to those stupid liberal elitist comments that ask why investment income is taxed a lower rate than labor, why the percent of federal tax from individuals has risen and corporate taxes have fallen, while corporate earnings have increased 15% over the last several years and worker's wages have stagnated.

McGentrix wrote:
No, I mean the ones that ignore the facts about taxes and instead choose to point out insignificant statistics that mean nothing.

There it is, finally a perfect example of the mindless defense of the Right Wing dogma in America; whenever the facts of a situation do not conform to a priori beliefs, throw out the facts. You are another in a long line of ideologues who will deny any facts if they undermine your assumptions.

It is not insignificant that US taxes are lower than any first world industrialized nation and that a direct correlation can be found to lower social services rendered and that an inverse relationship can be found to the health of and mortality rates of the average citizen.

Yyou dismiss these reports with a wave of your hand, not because there is no pertinent and recognizable correlation, but because admitting such a correlation would undermine your ideology.

McGentrix wrote:
No, I am referring to man that went to Yale University, then to Harvard, then later became a governor and finally President of the United States. There have only been 43 in the history of the US.

Yes, and only the second whose own daddy was president, so you wish to compare George Bush (the lesser) with John Quincy Adams? Go right ahead. Even Bush's graduate school profs considered him uninformed and the dullest pencil in the box.

McGentrix wrote:
I do not have the time to continue with this. I am quite right in what I said and you demonstrated nothing other than the fact you harbor great hatred towards the conservative movement and a myopic vision of your own side of politics

You exhibited exactly the behavior to which I referred is normally employed by right wing fanatics when challenged to present facts to support their statements:

First, you failed to show with supporting evidence that the behavior you called "liberal extremist" is in fact coming ONLY from liberals and lefties.

If it comes from the Right (as I showed) as well as the Left (so by your examples, anyway) then it is not singularly an attribute of liberals and the adjective "elitist" does not fit exclusively the noun "liberal," and also is proper for using it to define the Right Wing as well. Therefore, it is a useless term in the discussion because both sides are accused of it.

Additionally, when you were shown evidence that undermines your postulate that the term "elitist" was an exclusive trait of liberals, you dismissed these facts as inconsequential and declared that your adversaries are hateful people for pointing out the inconsistencies of your positions.

Man, your post was a textbook example of right wing rhetoric, and a far better one than I could have given as an example of your behavior.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:01 pm
candidone1 wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
The term "Liberal Elite" is used mostly as a reference to those who regard themselves as the custodians of correct liberal thought and who often advocate government (as opposed to private0 action to address the social priorities they seek. Many of these people inhabit universities, government agencies, professions (mostly lawyers0 and some areas of business as well. While a good deal of their social program involves issues they style as 'equity' matters for the poor and 'underprivileged', the fact is that a very large proportion of these self-styled elites are themselves quite well-off.

One of the many ironies of life is that while Liberals decry the hated bible-thumping redneck rightwingers who would tell them how to live, they don't hesitate to advocate their own equivalent form of indoctrination into the holy religion of "diversity" and political correctitude.

I would contend that the holy religion of "diversity" would include the "bible-thumping" rednecks, and whatever they espouse and believe.
The way I see it, liberals are far more inclusive than those falling beneath the umbrella of the religious right.
I don't believe many lefties have supported the abolishment of organized religion, they support the private practice of it, as it contributes to the diversity of society.

Political correctitude, as you put it, to a degree, just makes sense. That way we can avoid people being publicly called niggers, fags and bible thumping rednecks.

Except for the liberals that physically attack conservative speakers at colleges,right?
That sure shows "liberals are far more inclusive than those falling beneath the umbrella of the religious right."

Here are a few more examples of "liberals are far more inclusive than those falling beneath the umbrella of the religious right."

Inappropriate Beliefs

The New York Sun says a conservative Christian grad student was deemed unfit to teach and kicked out of his graduate program after he expressed skepticism about multicultural education and support for corporal punishment in the classroom.

With the backing of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, Scott McConnell is now suing Le Moyne College of Syracuse, N.Y. for violation of his First Amendment rights.

As part of a class devoted to promoting "inclusive classrooms," McConnell wrote a paper saying, "I do not feel that multicultural education has a philosophical place or standing in an American classroom, especially one that I will teach. I also feel that corporal punishment has a place in the classroom and should be implemented when needed."

He got an A on the paper, but the paper was forwarded to the director of the graduate education program, Cathy Leogrande, who subsequently expelled him from the Master's program.

"I have grave concerns regarding the mismatch between your personal beliefs regarding teaching and learning and the Le Moyne College program goals," Leogrande said.

Truth Hurts

A Dallas-area mayoral candidate who published an ad raising the issue of code enforcement and likened the neighborhood to a "Third World country" was forced to change the language after locals called it racist, reports the Dallas Morning News.

Irving mayoral candidate Terry Waldrum said he wanted residents to think about code enforcement issues such as trash and junked cars in people's yards and over-occupancy of single-family homes. The ad began with the question "Are you tired of your family and friends moving out of Irving?"

Manny Benavides, president of the Irving chapter of the League of United Latin American Citizens, called the ad bigoted and racist, and a past president of the local NAACP called it a "slap in the face to all people who believe in racial equality."

There are many more examples here...
http://www.tonguetied.us/
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:17 pm
mysteryman.

you might want to read up on the first amendmant and the right to freedom of speech. it pertains exclusively to restricting the GOVERNMENT from abridging speech. the case you cite was between an employer 9the school)and an employee the grad student) who was speaking at odds with the stated policies of his employer while on the job.

contrast that situation with that which happened in the fall of 2004 when a woman in alabama was fired from her job because she has a kerry/edwards bumper sticker on her car and her employer did not like it, so she was fired.

i heard not a peek from that right wing whore horowitz when that happened.

context is everything, not that you ever gave a damn about context.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:32 pm
kuvasz wrote:
mysteryman.

you might want to read up on the first amendmant and the right to freedom of speech. it pertains exclusively to restricting the GOVERNMENT from abridging speech. the case you cite was between an employer 9the school)and an employee the grad student) who was speaking at odds with the stated policies of his employer while on the job.

contrast that situation with that which happened in the fall of 2004 when a woman in alabama was fired from her job because she has a kerry/edwards bumper sticker on her car and her employer did not like it, so she was fired.

Ok,
Whats the difference between my example of a grad student losing his job due to his political beliefs and the woman in your example?
They both lost their jobs due to political beliefs,right?
So,if the example I gave is a bad one,then so is yours.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:06 pm
mysteryman wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
mysteryman.

Ok,
Whats the difference between my example of a grad student losing his job due to his political beliefs and the woman in your example?

let me walk you thru it then, because you dont seem to understand that processes are the context.

with the student he was directly at odds with the mission of the organization he was working for and expressed it on campus.

with the woman, she was not at odds with the expressed mission of the company, but with the political beliefs of her boss. her bumper sticker had no impact on the mission of, nor impacted the company's mission by her display ofd a bumper sticker.

the student was undermining the expressed mission of the organization with which he was affiliated.

in affect, he was a sabotuer.

had that woman worked for say the republican national committee, then it might be the same type situation as the student, but it was only a difference between two people with different political opinions, not a difference between a person willfully joining an organizatrion that had an expressed, written mission statement that was at odds with the political opinion of thr person.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:25 pm
kuvasz wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
mysteryman.

Ok,

let me walk you thru it then, because you dont seem to understand that processes are the context.

with the student he was directly at odds with the mission of the organization he was working for and expressed it on campus.

with the woman, she was not at odds with the expressed mission of the company, but with the political beliefs of her boss. her bumper sticker had no impact on the mission of, nor impacted the company's mission by her display ofd a bumper sticker.

the student was undermining the expressed mission of the organization with which he was affiliated.

in affect, he was a sabotuer.

had that woman worked for say the republican national committee, then it might be the same type situation as the student, but it was only a difference between two people with different political opinions, not a difference between a person willfully joining an organizatrion that had an expressed, written mission statement that was at odds with the political opinion of thr person.

I understood what you were saying,but let me quote you..."it pertains exclusively to restricting the GOVERNMENT from abridging speech"

So,the woman you mention was let go for her political beliefs,that were at odds with her boss.
I say again,so what?
Since her boss was not the GOVT,then her boss didnt have to abide by the first amendment.
You just said that,remember?
You said..."read up on the first amendmant and the right to freedom of speech. it pertains exclusively to restricting the GOVERNMENT from abridging speech."
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:54 pm
in the case of the graduate student, the speech had everything to do with his job and employer.

in the case of the woman it had nothing to do with her job or employer (the company).

even though the issue of a constitutional right of free speech is precluded in this situation because it is in the private sector, the woman lost her job for speech that had no impact upon her job or employer.

the student's speech had direct impact upon the employer.

in a contract one gains and relinquishes something.

the graduate student is granted employment from the school under the condition that he does not undermine the organization, but he did undermine it with his speech.

the woman was granted employment by the company, but there was no pre-condition that stated that displays of a kerry/edwards bumper sticker undermined the mission of the company and were forbidden, nor was it stated that she relinquish her right to such a bumper sticker in her employment contract because it might piss off her boss.

had it been the expressed policy of the company to forbid employees displaying bumper stickers on the premises, then she would be liable, but the facts are that bush/cheney bumper stickers were allowed by her boss, just not kerry/edwards ones.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:17 pm
BM
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:01 pm
mysteryman wrote:
I understood what you were saying,but let me quote you..."it pertains exclusively to restricting the GOVERNMENT from abridging speech"

So,the woman you mention was let go for her political beliefs,that were at odds with her boss.
I say again,so what?
Since her boss was not the GOVT,then her boss didnt have to abide by the first amendment.
You just said that,remember?
You said..."read up on the first amendmant and the right to freedom of speech. it pertains exclusively to restricting the GOVERNMENT from abridging speech."

Kuvasz never claimed that the woman being fired for the bumper sticker was a First Amendment violation. He said that Horowitz, et. al. did not seem to have a problem with it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 02:39 am
Quote:
mysteryman

Except for the liberals that physically attack conservative speakers at colleges, right?

That sure shows "liberals are far more inclusive than those falling beneath the umbrella of the religious right."

Would they have to be liberals, MM? Would you tar all with the same brush?

Here are a few more examples of "liberals are far more inclusive than those falling beneath the umbrella of the religious right."

Quote:

Inappropriate Beliefs

The New York Sun says a conservative Christian grad student was deemed unfit to teach and kicked out of his graduate program after he expressed skepticism about multicultural education and support for corporal punishment in the classroom.

With the backing of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, Scott McConnell is now suing Le Moyne College of Syracuse, N.Y. for violation of his First Amendment rights.

As part of a class devoted to promoting "inclusive classrooms," McConnell wrote a paper saying, "I do not feel that multicultural education has a philosophical place or standing in an American classroom, especially one that I will teach. I also feel that corporal punishment has a place in the classroom and should be implemented when needed."

He got an A on the paper, but the paper was forwarded to the director of the graduate education program, Cathy Leogrande, who subsequently expelled him from the Master's program.

"I have grave concerns regarding the mismatch between your personal beliefs regarding teaching and learning and the Le Moyne College program goals," Leogrande said.

There seems to be something amiss in this particular case, though I'll admit at the outset that the context is not completely clear given the available information.

It seems that this young man was not an employee, rather he was [should still be] a graduate student who was kicked out of his master program merely for expressing unpopular opinions; well, actually not all that unpopular.

One of his opinions was that corporal punishment should be available to teachers and he finds support for this, according to the article, in that 22 states allow some form of such punishment.

The full article, which still doesn't provide all the facts, is available here;

http://www.nysun.com/article/13417
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 05:51 am
This thread got me to thinking this morning and I decided to Google "liberal elite" to see what I could come up with to support a couple of arguments, such as the Rights association of education with the liberal elite. Right near the top:

http://conservativecrust.com/archives/000471.php

Great! Education is now a bad thing! No wonder we're behind the rest of the world in math and science.
0 Replies