US AND THEM: US, UN & Iraq, version 8.0

old europe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 06:47 am
But then, your own side is always the good side, isn't it?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:33 am
Quote:
Official Admits Errors in Iraq
Feith Cites Delay in Transfer of Power, Size of U.S. Force

By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 13, 2005; Page A12

Douglas J. Feith, a top Pentagon official who was deeply involved in planning the Iraq war, said that there were significant missteps in the administration's strategy, including the delayed transfer of power to a new Iraqi government, and that he did not know whether the invading U.S. force was the right size.

In an interview as he concludes his tenure as undersecretary of defense for policy, Feith acknowledged that there were "trade-offs" and "pros and cons" to the Pentagon's plan to use a relatively small invasion force in Iraq, voicing uncertainty about whether that decision was correct. The war's "rolling start" with a streamlined ground force achieved some tactical surprise, he said, potentially averting a longer war and other catastrophes such as the destruction of Iraqi oil fields. But he acknowledged that a small force had drawbacks, and others have criticized the plan for failing to stop widespread looting and insecurity after Saddam Hussein's government fell in April 2003.

His comments are a rare public sign of doubt about Iraq policy by a Pentagon official.

On troop levels in Iraq, Feith said U.S. military commanders -- not the Pentagon -- determined the flow of and number of forces into the country. "I don't believe there was a single case where the commander asked for forces and didn't get them . . . the commander controlled the forces in the theater," he said.

Senior U.S. Army officers dispute this view, saying the Pentagon cut off the planned influx of nine division-equivalents into Iraq in the war's initial phase.

CONTINUED AT,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/12/AR2005071201422.html

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:24 am
old europe, Our motives are always good; we need the oil in the ME. People who believe it's for the Iraqi People doesn't understand anything about economics.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:02 am
Al-Qaeda's plan is that the West will blame Islam

Jason Burke, chief reporter for the London Observer and author of a book on the subject, was the first to define the real problem as al-Qaedaism. It is not a terrorist group that the world is dealing with in the London and other bombings and 9/11; it is an ideology or belief system. A majority of experts now see the problem in this fashion, writes Richard Whelan

Adherents to this ideology, al-Qaedaists as I term them, comprise three separate groups.First, the original core al-Qaeda group led by Osama bin Laden and now based mainly in tribal areas in Pakistan and border areas of Afghanistan.

Second, a range of militants in more than 60 countries worldwide, including Islamic Jihad in Egypt, Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines, the Taliban in Afghanistan, the armed Islamic group (GIA) in Algeria, Ansar al-Islam and other groups in Iraq, and a number of groups in western Europe.

The "genius" of Osama bin Laden was to convince all those militant groups that they should focus their attacks in the main on the "far enemy" of the West in general and the US in particular, rather than the "near enemy", the government or regime in each of their countries.

By focusing all their efforts in this fashion, what bin Laden and the other al-Qaedaists have done is to draw a completely disparate series of terrorist groups, which had been combating different governments in their respective countries, into one unified movement, at least in terms of beliefs and strategic direction.

The third group comprises supporters drawn from the Sunni tradition in Islam, who are willing to offer tangible support to the militants in their terrorist activities and are fully supportive of the ideology.

The core al-Qaeda group and the much more extensive groupings outside the core are thought to number somewhere around 100,000, while the support base is thought to number anywhere between 10 million and 20 million.

There are, of course, others within the Sunni community who support part of the belief system and some terrorist actions, while some support comes from outside the Sunni community, such as that of the currently ineffective rump of the Italian Red Brigades.

Bin Laden is the leader of the core al-Qaeda group only. The other terrorist groupings and the mass of supporters look to him as a figurehead, rallying point and propaganda expert.

The al-Qaedaists, particularly the core al-Qaeda group, see themselves as a vanguard for this ideology. (The word "al-Qaeda" has a number of meanings, but the meaning that they themselves attribute to it is that of "model" or "precept".) They lead by example, 9/11 being a classic "propaganda by deed" action, and hope to have an increasing mass of supporters follow their lead.

Many are puzzled as to what this ideology wants and why. Many within Islam see Islam as a failure in non-religious terms, relative to its successful past and other societies currently.

There have been many solutions advanced over the centuries to reverse this relative failure, including imported solutions from Europe from both the right and left. All have failed.

Al-Qaedaists now believe that the only way of reversing this failure is a return to their roots, to the form of life of the eighth century when the glory of Islam was being established.

To achieve this return without interference, they wish to re-establish the Sunni Islamic caliphate of old. To do this, they believe they have to overthrow all existing Islamic governments and replace them with Taliban-like regimes.

From that base, they would then be in a position to retake occupied territories in a number of other countries not currently controlled by Islamic regimes.

To succeed in this effort, they have agreed that they should target the "far enemy" through guerrilla warfare targeted at civilians, to remove all Western influence from Islamic lands.

Their ideology assumes that when that occurs each of those regimes will quickly fall under their control, and they will then be close to achieving their long-term objective of the re-establishment of the caliphate.

How can they possibly think they could succeed?

Unfortunately, they believe that they alone were the ones who, through its defeat in Afghanistan, caused the collapse of the Soviet Union and communism.

They see the US as a "paper tiger" which, if forced back into one of its frequent periods of isolationism, will lead to the collapse of European opposition to their plans.

To "justify" their actions, many al-Qaedaists believe the West is involved in a conspiracy against Islam and has been for many centuries. They say that this conspiracy started with the Crusades, then Western imperialism, and now ongoing Western/US support for Israel, UN-approved actions in Afghanistan and East Timor, and the current actions in Iraq.

Al-Qaedaism emanates from the Sunni tradition within Islam and believes this conspiracy includes the largest minority within Islam, the Shia population. This explains al-Qaedaist attacks on Shias in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.

Al-Qaedaist propaganda frequently refers to the "conspiracies" emanating from "Washington, Tel Aviv and Tehran". This may sound far-fetched, but repeated statements, videos and actions of the al-Qaedaists confirm that they believe in such conspiracies and have and will act upon them.

The key question then is: how should the West react to this?

The most important thing it must do is not to fall into the trap of playing their game. There is no clash of civilisations. The West is not involved in a conspiracy against Islam.

However, the al-Qaedaists need a clash of civilisations. They can never achieve their aims on their own.

The only way the relatively small number of al-Qaedaists can succeed is if the rest of the world acts as though Islam is to blame.

Only then in a reaction to such can the al-Qaedaists highjack Islam and its 1.3 billion adherents worldwide for their own ends.

Richard Whelan's book, Al-Qaedaism, the Threat to Islam, the Threat to the World will be published in September

© The Irish Times
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:03 am
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
It is also true that malignancy must be exterminated.

I'm always amazed by a vocabulary every terrorist or guerrilla leader would be proud of, while trying to argue for the good side.

What's vocabulary got to do with it? My compassion is reserved for the victims of the malignancy and not for the malignancy itself.

The Saddam regime malignancy from 1991 to 2002 murdered on average about 30 Iraqi civilians per day.

The al Qaeda and friends malignancyare murdering on average about 15 Iraqi civilians per day.

When the malignancy is almost exterminated, it will be murdering on average about 1 Iraqi civilian per day. That will be an improvement.

When the malignancy is exterminated, it will be murdering 0 civilians per day. That will be a big improvement.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:10 am
According to them,

Americans are the malignancy that must be eliminated if THEY are to survive.

You sound exactly like the enemy. I don't care that you will respond 'yeah, but they are killing people and I am not, so I am correct and they are wrong.' That doesn't matter. Your rhetoric is exactly the same.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:27 am
Kara wrote:
Al-Qaeda's plan is that the West will blame Islam

Jason Burke, chief reporter for the London Observer and author of a book on the subject, was the first to define the real problem as al-Qaedaism. It is not a terrorist group that the world is dealing with in the London and other bombings and 9/11; it is an ideology or belief system. A majority of experts now see the problem in this fashion, writes Richard Whelan

The only way the relatively small number of al-Qaedaists can succeed is if the rest of the world acts as though Islam is to blame.

Only then in a reaction to such can the al-Qaedaists highjack Islam and its 1.3 billion adherents worldwide for their own ends.

Richard Whelan's book, Al-Qaedaism, the Threat to Islam, the Threat to the World will be published in September.

© The Irish Times

Ok then! Do as I do. Do not call them Muslim/Islam jihadists, or jihadist Muslim/Islamists, or Muslim/Islam extremists, or extremist Muslim/Islamists, or Muslim/Islam anything-ists, or anything-ist Muslim/Islamists. Call them what they really are. They are a malignancy of humanity. They are simply malignancy. The malignancy consists of mass murderers of civilians and the accomplices of mass murderers of civilians.

How can one end malignancy? One can end malignancy by exterminating it before it becomes ubiquitous throughout humanity.

How else can malignancy be ended?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:29 am
ican711nm wrote:
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

I'm always amazed by a vocabulary every terrorist or guerrilla leader would be proud of, while trying to argue for the good side.

What's vocabulary got to do with it?

'What's vocabulary got to do with it?'

Wait, there's something I don't get: you're supporting a crusade against islamist extremists - not only those who blow themselves up, but maybe even more so against those who preach hate.

You know how to spell 'irony', dontcha?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:34 am
old europe wrote:
But then, your own side is always the good side, isn't it?

The side that defends liberty is the good side.

The side that defends totalitarianism of any kind is the bad side.

I am defending liberty. I am opposed to those who defend totalitarianism of any kind.

I want liberty to win!

What do you want?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:42 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
According to them,

Americans are the malignancy that must be eliminated if THEY are to survive.

You sound exactly like the enemy. I don't care that you will respond 'yeah, but they are killing people and I am not, so I am correct and they are wrong.' That doesn't matter. Your rhetoric is exactly the same.

Cycloptichorn

Oh, now I understand. Your issue is rhetoric!

Rhetoric is not my issue. My issue is the survival of liberty. Now how shall I contribute to the survival of liberty without exterminating those who do not only do not want liberty to survive but are trying to exterminate liberty? What rhetoric shall I use to contribute to the survival of liberty? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:00 pm
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

What's vocabulary got to do with it?[/size]

'What's vocabulary got to do with it?'

Wait, there's something I don't get: you're supporting a crusade against islamist extremists - not only those who blow themselves up, but maybe even more so against those who preach hate.

You know how to spell 'irony', dontcha?

I bet you think choice of vocabulary is the issue. And that is in deed ironic. Because choice of vocabulary is hardly relevant. I think the issue is liberty versus totalitarianism. For without liberty you probably will not exist absent the liberties you enjoy now including the liberty to try to influence my choice of vocabulary.

Rolling Eyes

As I posted on the previous page:
Quote:
... Do as I do. Do not call them Muslim/Islam jihadists, or jihadist Muslim/Islamists, or Muslim/Islam extremists, or extremist Muslim/Islamists, or Muslim/Islam anything-ists, or anything-ist Muslim/Islamists. Call them what they really are. They are a malignancy of humanity. They are simply malignancy. The malignancy consists of mass murderers of civilians and the accomplices of mass murderers of civilians.

How can one end malignancy? One can end malignancy by exterminating it before it becomes ubiquitous throughout humanity.

How else can malignancy be ended?

I am not motivated by hate. I am motivated by fear. I fear the loss of my and everyone else's liberty to the malignancy .

What are you afraid of? I bet it's guys like me who would defend your liberty by exterminating the malignancy . Without guys like me you would lack the life you require to pursue happiness on this planet .

Yours is not really fear. It's really insanity!

How's that for vocabulary? Sometimes it's known as calling a spade a shovel.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:24 pm
Well, maybe you just don't care. Or you're just ignorant when saying that vocabulary is not the issue.

Because vocabulary always comes first. It's what comes before the deeds. In fact, it makes them 'acceptable', and it's a tactic that has been used in all totalitarian regimes, and not only there.

So if you're afraid to use your liberty, why are you willing to sacrifice your vocabulary and use the vocabulary of totalitarianism instead? Why are you using their vocabulary? Don't you have your own?

Don't get me wrong - freedom of speech and all - I'm not going to tell you what words you can use. But it's forfeit, in my eyes. Vocabulary is an essential part of a culture, and the American culture was always admired as well as emulated. For values like liberty, democracy, pursuit of happiness.

For words like these:

Quote:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

See? There's nothing about "Put that useless bunch of homeless and tempest-tost on the next plane and send them back to the place where they came from" in it, right?

You say that without guys like you we would lack the life we require to pursue happiness on this planet. Well,
guys like you, just on the other side, who have enough influence and enough listeners in their mosques, and who incite people by declaring things like this:

Quote:

they got us into this. Don't you see that? If you know that you are better than them, that you are on the right side, that your side stands for liberty and not for hate - why not act like it?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:40 pm
old europe wrote:
Well, maybe you just don't care. Or you're just ignorant when saying that vocabulary is not the issue.

I rate substance over form.

I rate actions over intentions.

I rate concepts over nomenclature.

I rate liberty over totalitarianism.

I want liberty to be ubiquitous throughout humanity.

I fear totalitarianism. I want totalitarianism -- in particular malignancy -- exterminated throughout humanity.

Because vocabulary always comes first. It's what comes before the deeds. In fact, it makes them 'acceptable', and it's a tactic that has been used in all totalitarian regimes, and not only there.

No! Concept comes before vocabulary. My desire is to communicate concepts. My concept is malignancy is contrary to the self-interest of humanity. My concept is malignancy should not be allowed to exist anymore. My concept is exterminate malignancy.

I do not think it wise for me to camouflage my concepts with euphemisms particularly politically correct euphemisms. The fact that some bad guys use some of the same vocabulary I do is flatout irrelevant. It is the concept and the accurate communication of the concept that counts.

The malignancy seeks to murder civilians in order to achieve totalitarian control of humanity and thereby exterminate liberty.

I seek to prevent that by exterminating the malignancy.

So if you're afraid to use your liberty, why are you willing to sacrifice your vocabulary and use the vocabulary of totalitarianism instead? Why are you using their vocabulary? Don't you have your own?

I am using my liberty. I am using my choice of vocabulary. I am using vocabulary contained in the English language. I am using vocabulary that belongs to all who write in English. I forthrightly use my liberty to use that vocabulary that I think most accurately and clearly communicates my concepts. I do that despite anyone else's attempts to censure (not censor) how I choose to articulate my concepts. The fact that others good or bad use the same vocabulary is irrelevant to me and my concepts. I think it should likewise be irrelevant to you.

Don't get me wrong - freedom of speech and all - I'm not going to tell you what words you can use. But it's forfeit, in my eyes. Vocabulary is an essential part of a culture, and the American culture was always admired as well as emulated. For values like liberty, democracy, pursuit of happiness.

For words like these:

Quote:

See? There's nothing about "Put that useless bunch of homeless and tempest-tost on the next plane and send them back to the place where they came from" in it, right?

There is nothing in the concepts I am articulating nor in the way I am articulating them that communicates to a rational mind anything of that kind of reversal of principles.

You say that without guys like you we would lack the life we require to pursue happiness on this planet. Well,
guys like you, just on the other side, who have enough influence and enough listeners in their mosques, and who incite people by declaring things like this:

Quote:

they got us into this. Don't you see that? If you know that you are better than them, that you are on the right side, that your side stands for liberty and not for hate - why not act like it?

Ahha! Eureka! I am acting like it! Perhaps you think my basic concept is: "I/we are better than them." I never wrote that, nor wrote anything that implies that. I am acting quite pragmatically.

They (i.e., the malignancy) are human beings like I am. All humanity are human beings like I am. The difference we are discussing here is quite specific. I wish to preserve liberty; they wish to exterminate liberty by replacing it with a totalitatariansim. I despise the mass murder of civilians for any purpose. They employ the mass murder of civilians to achieve their objectives. I think civilians do not mass murder civilians. Therefore I think they are not civilians. So I advocate they be exterminated to stop them from mass murdering civilians.

I want what I want. They want what they want. Since what I want and what they want are mutually exclusive, I seek to deny them what they want.

In short, I want liberty. They want totalitarianism. If I get what I want, they cannot get what they want. If they get what they want, I cannot get what I want.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me: give me liberty, or give me death!"
----Patrick Henry, 1775
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:13 pm
OE writes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okay I have to chime in here on this one.

What isn't there, but was implicitly emphasized, was that you are welcome here IF you have submitted a proper application and are accepted by the immigration service , IF you have a sponsor who will take care of you or you have a provable means of making a living and supporting yourself, IF you are in reasonably good health and we will quarantine you on Ellis Island for awhile to insure that you are, and IF you are willing to agree to learn English, abide by the United States laws, respect the United Stat4es culture, and within a reasonable time pass the requisite citizenship test and swear an oath of citizenship.

Those who could not meet these specifications were indeed put back on the boat or plane or whatever and sent back to where they came from. It is only in this contemporary era that immigrants can demand just about everything are little or nothing is required from them in return.

The words (rhetoric) that we use can carry far deeper meaning of far further scope than what the uninformed might understand. And from time to time as our collective experience changes, so does our collective language, and every now and then we have to make up a new word when there is no appropriate word that fits.

The unabridged dictionary is ever expanding.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:39 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
... The words (rhetoric) that we use can carry far deeper meaning of far further scope than what the uninformed might understand. And from time to time as our collective experience changes, so does our collective language, and every now and then we have to make up a new word when there is no appropriate word that fits.

The unabridged dictionary is ever expanding.

Often Foxfyre you post that which I think deserves repetition and emphasis. I hope you don't mind, but here I go again:

Quote:
The words (rhetoric) that we use can carry far deeper meaning of far further scope than what the uninformed might understand. And from time to time as our collective experience changes, so does our collective language, and every now and then we have to make up a new word when there is no appropriate word that fits.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 06:52 pm
ican711nm wrote:

No! I realize they changed and are changing. I inferred, apparently falsely, that you had in mind some specific additional changes that you thought would be sufficient if adopted.

Gotcha.

Quote:
Do you mean law enforcement efforts outside of Afghanistan as well as outside of Iraq?

Yes, I hold that the augmentation of the efforts to fight terrorism by law enforcement worldwide has a greater effect on the ability of terrorist organizations to strike than does invading Iraq.

Quote:
Do you think the alleged establishment and growth of al Qaeda in Iraq prior to the invasion of Iraq did not happen?

No, but I do think it has been invoked with much hyperbole and that tangible logistic benefits were not shown to exist, or to be forthcoming.

Quote:
In science, engineering and aviation, providing evidence of negatives (i.e., showing something is probably not true) is not only a continuing burden, but is also a way of life. So that's why I asked. I am ignorant of any valid reasons why that doesn't apply to political and military problems as well. But if you don't want to, accept such a burden I'll drop it.

Scientific method is such that burden of proof is a prodedural rigour. The claim that Iraq poses a threat creates a burden of proof that this is true, not a burden of proof that it is not.

Arguing that it is not is as simple as pointing out the lacking evidence that it is.

Quote:
This is in fact what I wanted to explore with you. Namely what are the negatives and why; what are the positives and why; which outweigh the other and why?

I'd be happy to explore this.

What are some negatives you see in invading Iraq?

Quote:
(1) al Qaeda is a significant threat to the US;

Depends on your definition of significant. Al Quaeda poses no statistically significant threat to the US. However, I do agree that they are a significant threat due to the psychology of terrorism.

Quote:
(2) al Qaeda established itself in Afghanistan prior to its invasion;

As they have in many nations, including the US. Unless this is further qualified it does not make a better case for invading Iraq than it does for invading the UK.

Quote:
(3) al Qaeda grew significantly in Afghanistan prior to its invasion;
(4) al Qaeda established itself in Iraq prior to its invasion;
(5) al Qaeda grew significantly in Iraq prior to its invasion; and,

I don't think the Al Qaeda presence in Iraq can be held to be comparable in scope to that in Afghanistan, in Afghanistan they came close to running the country and had very significant autonomy. Do you think the two scenarios comparable in scope?

Quote:
(6) al Qaeda in Iraq murdered civilians in Iraq prior to its invasion.

How is this a threat to the US (which is what I was incredulous about)?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:06 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Yes, I hold that the augmentation of the efforts to fight terrorism by law enforcement worldwide has a greater effect on the ability of terrorist organizations to strike than does invading Iraq.

I assume you mean a greater limitation on the ability of terrorist organizations to strike... Why do you think so?

Quote:
Do you think the alleged establishment and growth of al Qaeda in Iraq prior to the invasion of Iraq did not happen?

No, but I do think it has been invoked with much hyperbole and that tangible logistic benefits were not shown to exist, or to be forthcoming.

As you already know, we disagree.

Scientific method is such that burden of proof is a prodedural rigour. The claim that Iraq poses a threat creates a burden of proof that this is true, not a burden of proof that it is not.

I don't understand what you mean by "a procedural rigor." Do you think such does not apply to rational argument of any other kind--in particular, apply to the political kind of argument we are attempting to have.

Arguing that it is not is as simple as pointing out the lacking evidence that it is.

I infer that when you claim that evidence is lacking, you think such claim is sufficient and does not require that you explain why you think the evidence that I have provided is lacking and/or is not evidence.

Quote:
This is in fact what I wanted to explore with you. Namely what are the negatives and why; what are the positives and why; which outweigh the other and why?

I'd be happy to explore this.

What are some negatives you see in invading Iraq?

Costs: in lives of Americans, lives of our allies, and in lives of Iraqis our military killed unintentionally; in dollars of expense; in distractions from other problems that also require attention; in a more than doubling of the world market price of oil. Why? I think the whys are self-evident here, but I will supply them if you like.

What are some negatives you see in not invading Iraq?

Quote:
(1) al Qaeda is a significant threat to the US;

Depends on your definition of significant. Al Quaeda poses no statistically significant threat to the US. However, I do agree that they are a significant threat due to the psychology of terrorism.

I don't understand what you mean here. Do you mean you think another attack by al Qaeda is unlikely, and/or you think that more than say 10 civilian deaths due to such attack is unlikely?

Quote:
(2) al Qaeda established itself in Afghanistan prior to its invasion;

As they have in many nations, including the US. Unless this is further qualified it does not make a better case for invading Iraq than it does for invading the UK.

By "established" I mean obtained sanctuary for training with at least the acquiesence of the nation's government in which the sanctuary was obtained.

Quote:
(3) al Qaeda grew significantly in Afghanistan prior to its invasion;
(4) al Qaeda established itself in Iraq prior to its invasion;
(5) al Qaeda grew significantly in Iraq prior to its invasion; and,

I don't think the Al Qaeda presence in Iraq can be held to be comparable in scope to that in Afghanistan, in Afghanistan they came close to running the country and had very significant autonomy. Do you think the two scenarios comparable in scope?

I think the scope of the first 15 months of al Qaeda growth in Afghanistan and the scope of the 15 months of al Qaeda growth in Iraq before Iraq was invaded are roughly comparable. On that basis, I project (or wouldn't dare assume otherwise) that the full 5 year growth of al Qaeda in Iraq would have been at least comparable in scope to the actual 5 year growth of al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Quote:
(6) al Qaeda in Iraq murdered civilians in Iraq prior to its invasion.

How is this a threat to the US (which is what I was incredulous about)?

In and of itself it is no threat to the US. Rather what I think it portended for the future is what constitutes the threat to the US. In short when they mass murder there, they in future mass murdered everywhere, in particular, here in America. That's the way they went in Afghanistan. I think the evidence now is strong that Saddam's regime was becoming more than a mere acquiescor to al Qaeda; I think it was becoming an accomplice and would have arrived at that condition in earnest, had we not invaded, as soon as UN sanctions on Iraq were lifted.

I think that President Clinton if armed then with the wisdom of hindsight, would have invaded Afghanistan on his watch to prevent a 9/11.

Well, we both now have that same wisdom of hindsight too. The US did act and I think, applying the wisdom of hindsight, should have acted on it.

The neat thing about hindsight is it doesn't require proof because it is intrinsically proof. On the otherhand, application of a hindsight regarding one situation to what is perceived to be a comparable situation, requires rational judgment. Sometimes it's right; sometimes it's not. That's life! And, that's death too!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:37 am
This article, now subscription-only to those unfortunate enought not to have their own copy of today's The Independent, is comment on evidence now available that the actions of military personnel at Abu Graib detention facility were not the actions of a few rogue elements, but were official policy. Therefore, the wrong people have gone to jail:

Leading article: Abu Ghraib was not the exception; it was the rule
Published: 15 July 2005
There are some documents whose content is so consistently shocking that the individual details it catalogues start to seem banal. The report by the US military on treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay appears to be a prime example of the genre.
This report, submitted to the US Senate Armed Services Committee, assesses the treatment meted out to detainees at the "facility" that subsequently became known as Camp Delta. It identifies only three instances where US Army policy was breached. And none was considered serious enough for the Army to reprimand the then commandant of the camp, Maj-Gen Geoffrey Miller.
Article Length: 541 words (approx.)

http://comment.independent.co.uk/leading_articles/article299200.ece
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 09:39 am
PROVING NEGATIVES AS WELL AS POSITIVES

I bet certainty is impossible and probability suffices to govern belief and action. That implies one cannot prove a positive to a certainty to another person anymore than one can prove a negative to a certainty to another person, without assuming in either case the truth of at least one thing one cannot prove to a certainty.

If you disagree with that please provide at least one exception.

What one can do is provide evidence that the positive is true or that the negative is true. Often the only persuasive evidence required is one example that a positive generalization is false, or that a negative generalization is false.

Intrinsic in mathematics, science and engineering is provision of persuasive evidence of negatives as well as positives. This is not limited to just the so-called physical sciences. This is characteristic of the other sciences as well. In our society it seems that almost daily we hear some researcher in either economics, psychology, sociologyl, military science, or political science, providing evidence that some positive or negative is true.

I am unaware of any evidence, let alone persuasive evidence, that there is something intrinsic in negative judgments or assertions that precludes anyone providing persuasive evidence to support them.

For example, it has been asserted by me that the benefits of invading Iraq will outweigh its costs. I have presented evidence to support that assertion. Others have asserted that my assertion is not true, but excuse their lack of persuasive evidence to support their assertion by making the additional assertion that "one cannot prove a negative", and, therefore, one cannot provide persuasive evidence to support a negative.

That generalization is a falsity demonstrated multiple times to be a falsity by all those who have provided persuasive evidence to support the truth of various negatives.

Until I'm presented evidence to the contrary, I shall remain persuaded by the evidence I have presented that the benefits of invading Iraq will outweigh its costs.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:04 am
McTag wrote:
This article... is comment on evidence now available that the actions of military personnel at Abu Graib detention facility were not the actions of a few rogue elements, but were official policy.

Is there evidence that it was official US policy to kill prisoners held in Abu Graib or in Guantanamo? If so, present it!

Is there evidence that it was official US policy to maim prisoners held in Abu Graib or in Guantanamo? If so, present it!

Is there evidence that it was official US policy to disable prisoners in Abu Graib or in Guantanamo? If so present it!

If not, then do not overlook the fact that these prisoners are included in malignancy that must be exterminated to preserve liberty for and exterminate totalitarinism from humankind.
0 Replies