US AND THEM: US, UN & Iraq, version 8.0

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:16 am
How about the ones we let go from Gitmo?

Were they malignancies as well? Or were they innocent?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:23 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
How about the ones we let go from Gitmo?

Were they malignancies as well? Or were they innocent?

Cycloptichorn

They are malignancies as well. Many of them have been recaptured mass murdering civilians or acting as accomplices to those mass muderering civilians. Clearly they are not innocent.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:29 am
So, we have a practice of releasing non-innocent malignancies from Guantanamo bay?

Are you sure about this?

Also, it is your position that every single prisoner in Gitmo is guilty, ie, is a malignancy?

Also, can you provide me some stats on how many have been recaptured, or some news links showing that many of them were re-captured? Thanks

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:58 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So, we have a practice of releasing non-innocent malignancies from Guantanamo bay?

Are you sure about this?

I think it probably true, because it has several times been reported by the TOMNOM (i.e., The Oxy-Moron News Opinion Media) as well as that news media I think are more reliable.

Also, it is your position that every single prisoner in Gitmo is guilty, ie, is a malignancy?

Every single prisoner in Gitmo was captured with those murdering, attempting to murder or serving as accomplices to those murdering or attempting to murder civilians.

Also, can you provide me some stats on how many have been recaptured, or some news links showing that many of them were re-captured? Thanks

Sure! Later today.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 12:45 pm
Vikram Dodd, Saturday February 12, 2005, The Guardian wrote:

UK claims freed Britons pose terror threat

Travel ban on four released from Guantanamo based on evidence alleged to be gathered under torture

Vikram Dodd
Saturday February 12, 2005
The Guardian

The government has decided that four Britons released from Guantánamo Bay pose a terrorist threat to the United Kingdom, on the basis of evidence alleged to have come from the men's torture and ill-treatment, the Guardian has learned.
The home secretary, Charles Clarke, ruled that there are "strong" grounds to believe the four are dangerous, according to a government letter to the men. He has decided to ban the Britons from travelling abroad and has written telling them they are being denied passports.

It is the first time the British government's view about whether the men are a danger has been clearly stated.

0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 01:23 pm
Washington Times, 10/18/2004 wrote:
Ex-Gitmo detainees return to terror

ASSOCIATED PRESS
At least seven former prisoners of the United States at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have returned to terrorism, despite gaining their freedom by signing pledges to renounce violence.
At least two are believed to have died in fighting in Afghanistan, and a third was recaptured during a raid on a suspected training camp in Afghanistan, said Lt. Cmdr. Flex Plexico, a Pentagon spokesman. Others are at large.
Additional former detainees have expressed a desire to rejoin the fight, be it against U.N. peacekeepers in Afghanistan, Americans in Iraq or Russians in Chechnya.
----------------------------------------------------
U.S. officials released 146 detainees from Guantanamo, but only after determining the prisoners no longer posed threats and had no remaining intelligence value.
Pentagon officials acknowledged that the release process is imperfect, but they said most of the Guantanamo detainees released have steered clear of Islamist insurgent groups.
The number returning to the fight demonstrates the delicate balance the United States must strike between minimizing the appearance of holding people unjustly and keeping those who are legitimate long-term threats, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said.
Human rights groups frequently criticize the Defense Department for holding hundreds of prisoners at the naval base, largely without charges or legal counsel. Many have been held for more than two years; only a few have been charged.
Another 57 Guantanamo prisoners have been transferred to the custody of their home governments, including 29 to Pakistan, seven to Russia, five each to Morocco, and four each to France and Saudi Arabia.
The Pentagon did not identify the seven detainees believed to have returned to fighting, although a few names have been made public. One released detainee killed a judge leaving a mosque in Afghanistan, Cmdr. Plexico said.
The former prisoners who returned to terrorism include Abdullah Mehsud, a former Guantanamo Bay detainee linked to al Qaeda who oversaw the recent kidnapping of two Chinese engineers, one of whom was killed.
On Friday, Pakistani soldiers began a massive search for Mehsud, 28, who returned to Pakistan in March after about two years' detention at Guantanamo. Pakistan officials say he has forged ties with al Qaeda since then.
One of the two former prisoners killed is Maulvi Abdul Ghaffar, a senior Taliban commander in northern Afghanistan who was arrested about two months after a U.S.-led coalition drove the militia from power in late 2001.
He was held at Guantanamo for eight months, then released, and was killed on Sept. 26 by Afghan security forces during a raid in Uruzgan province. Afghan leaders said they believed he was leading Taliban forces in the southern province.
Maj. Gen. Eric Olson, the No. 2 commander of U.S. troops in Afghanistan, told the Associated Press this month that there was no alternative to releasing prisoners.
"It's not going to be perfect, so [the Ghaffar case] has not led to any soul-searching about the release program," Gen. Olson said.
Other former prisoners have said publicly that they wanted to return to the fight.
In Denmark, Slimane Hadj Abderrahmane, 31, who was released in February from the U.S. naval base on Cuba's southeastern tip, said he would go to Chechnya to fight with rebels there against Russia.
"The Muslims are oppressed in Chechnya, and the Russians are carrying out terror against them," the Dane, who has an Algerian father, told Danish television in September.
Abderrahmane, who was never charged in Denmark upon his return, later backtracked.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
OTHER NEWS

Associated Press, Jun 21, 10:52 PM EDT wrote:

Spanish Judge Jails Eight Over Terror Plot

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- A Spanish judge has jailed eight men accused of belonging to a network that allegedly recruited people to stage suicide attacks in Iraq, officials at the National Court said Tuesday.

The judge freed three other suspects, part of a group of 11 arrested last week in raids in several Spanish cities, the officials said on condition of anonymity.

Judge Fernando Grande-Malarska issued the ruling late Monday after days of questioning of the suspects, most of whom are Moroccan.

The officials gave no details of the judge's order and did not say which suspects were jailed and which ones were released.

The Interior Ministry said last week as it announced the arrests that the 11 men were part of a support group for a network linked to Abu-Musab al-Zarqawi's terror group, known as al-Qaida in Iraq.

On Monday, the judge probing last year's train bombing in Madrid jailed five suspects who allegedly had close ties to ringleaders of the massacre and helped suspects in the attack flee Spain.

The ministry says at least one of those suspects, Mohamed Afalah, apparently planned a suicide attack in Iraq in May of this year.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:33 pm
Quote:
Ok then! Do as I do.

ican, I thought Whelan did a pretty good job of it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:03 pm
hi Kara

when I see your name on a post it is like water in the desert.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:11 pm
Or "like a «Château Margaux Premier Grand Cru Classé» between all the ordinary Tesco house wines" :wink:
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:13 pm
Steve, my posts are a rock, a small outcrop, around which the eddies swirl. Like most tiny disturbances in the water, they go unnoticed except by a dedicated observer on the bank. Smile

You and I are not too far apart at the moment. I wish I could pop over the Irish Sea and visit you in the Ur-City.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:19 pm
no problem

i'll swim
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:20 pm
or better what walter said Smile
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:29 pm
We will meet someday. Walter, McTag, Steve.

Patty has told me all about yooz.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:32 pm
What everything?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:36 pm
Kara wrote:

Patty has told me all about yooz.

http://www.angel.at/chat/emonics/smile5.gif
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:51 pm
There may be more to be explored, Walter. I anticipate....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:03 pm
Kara where are you in Ireland (no worries cant trace you)

and if you do make it over, well you are only one island away from Walters place
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:15 pm
Steve... Laughing

Ya couldna trace me...I'd probably fall inta yur lap...

I'm in Connemara, in Co Galway, and to fine-point it, near Recess.

This tourist link is my "local"

Lough Inagh
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:24 pm
Great Kara

hope you are enjoying a good stay

I have done the ring of Kerry Dingle, Galway Westport (wonderfull place)

We went to Inish Boffin. It was low tide, too low to get on the pier. So we transfered to a small row boat and arrived on the island in a kind of controlled ship wreck.

Whilst waiting for the return trip, (by that time the tide was in) I asked the man if we needed the return portion of the ticket

"No" he said "only the boat"

Wife and I concluded they make up these quips around the fire on long winter evenings for the deliberate confusion and entertainment of the tourists
0 Replies