US AND THEM: US, UN & Iraq, version 8.0

Lash

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:39 pm
To throw in the consensus pot:

An excerpt from CNN:

High unemployment
While Iraq's unemployment figures were high, the survey found that most eligible workers -- excluding the military -- were able to keep the jobs they had held since before March 2003.

Iraq's unemployment rate was 10.5 percent of a population of 27 million people, the report found. When the figure of workers who had given up looking for a job -- discouraged workers -- was included, the unemployment number increased to 18.4 percent.

Most of the unemployed were people who were looking for their first jobs, the report found.

De Mistura, the U.N. representative, said Iraqis have done well to maintain services, but he said delivery of utilities such as water, sewage, sanitation and electricity hasn't been consistent.

"Although a large percentage of the population in Iraq is connected to water, electricity and sewage networks, the supply is too unstable to make a difference to their lives," he said in a news release.

According to the survey, 98 percent of Iraqi households are connected to the national electricity grid, but only 15 percent find the supply stable.

As for water availability, the figures were 78 percent (had water) and 66 percent (had problems).
Household income falls
More than a fourth of Iraqis surveyed described themselves as being poor and 96 percent said they receive monthly food rations under the public food system set up through the oil-for-food program.

The median income in Iraq was equivalent to about $255 (366,000 dinars) in 2003 and decreased in the first half of 2004 to about $144 (207,000 dinars).
The report indicated it was difficult to come up with concrete numbers from prior years to indicate the movement of wages.

"However, most observers agree that, due to a combination of wars, sanctions and economic mismanagement, the average Iraqi household probably has lower real income today than in 1980," the report said.

The survey said the largest declines were in the central Iraqi provinces, including Baghdad.

In terms of poverty, the survey looked at subjective measures. About one in six respondents to the survey said they were unable to buy one of six items listed (new clothes, heating, etc.)

De Mistura said the survey should help the Iraqi government develop a plan to improve living conditions.
-------------
So, definitely requires continuing effort--but, obviously not as bad as the man in the article claimed.

You really should check facts, you know.

The name of the article is Grim picture in Iraq, or something--and it is grim--but it is not nearly as grim as Edgar's article, and it is improving.

Iraq stats. CNN.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:23 pm
Saddam kills, the US brings back to life.

The marshes he drained are beginning to flourish again.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:38 pm
I know many of you will reject USAID as a source--but do like I do-- Cool

If you doubt the facts, check them out elsewhere.

I hope those who really want to know what our government has done since the end of the war, will look in on this site.

USAID in Iraq.

There's still a lot to do--but there should be no doubt Iraqis are rapidly on their way to doing much better than they ever did--or ever would have done, under Saddam.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:41 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Lash wrote:
One thing would be to check other sources to verify what he said...

Some of those statistics and statements are contrary to other reports I've read.

I guess you'd have to get a consensus.

In three days time, Lash will give us an unbiased consensus based on statistics and statements of the actual conditions on the ground in Iraq.

We thank you in advance.

Joe(Never a doubt)Nation

Glad you never doubted me, Joe. Had you, this may be a bit embarrassing.

You're welcome. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 01:11 am
The original press release, CNN, reuters et. al. were referring to:
Quote:

IRAQ: Living conditions still poor, survey says

[ This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]

BAGHDAD, 16 May 2005 (IRIN) - Living conditions in Iraq suffered after the fall of Saddam Hussein, according to a survey conducted by the government, which highlighted problems in health, education and basic supplies.

"Illiteracy, malnutrition, unemployment, power and water are the important topics that need to be addressed urgently by the Iraqi government," minister of Planning and Development Cooperation, Mehdy al-Hafidh, told IRIN in Baghdad on Sunday.

The Iraqi Living Conditions (ILC) survey, released on 12 May, was carried out by the Ministry of Planning and Development Cooperation (MoPDC) with assistance from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).

The survey examined housing conditions and the availability of infrastructure and services, as well as environmental issues. Officials said the results could not be compared to previous statistics from Iraq, as the country is now entering a different era. They say previous numbers may not be as accurate.

A total of 21, 668 households in 18 Iraqi governorates were surveyed between April and May 2004 with the exceptions of Arbil and Dahuk in the north, where interviews took place in August 2004.

Electricity shortages, poor sewage systems and a lack of clean water were the overriding issues when it came to basic needs, according to the survey.

Only 43 percent of those in rural areas had access to clean water compared to 66 percent in urban areas.

More than 78 percent had less than 12 hours of power per day. Nearly 63 percent of respondents were not connected to any sewage system, with those in rural areas being worse off.

It was found that 25 percent of those interviewed were illiterate. In the northern governorate of Dahuk, 55 percent of interviewees had not completed primary school.

The survey showed that nearly a quarter of children aged between six months and five years were malnourished.

"My son died last year due to malnutrition, due to the fact that we have little money to offer for medical treatment. Something should be done to prevent more children dying in this country," Hanan Kubaissy, a mother of four, told IRIN in Bataween, a suburb of the capital.

However, unemployment had decreased, when compared to 2002, according to al-Hafidh.

The number of people employed has increased from 5,193,000 in December 2002 to 6,025,000 in May 2004. Only 11 percent of those who were in the army under the previous regime had been able to find work, indicating a need for retraining.

"I was an army officer during Saddam's regime and today I have no work as the government said we could not go back to our jobs as officers and I'm unemployed. I don't have any other skills. I joined the army when I was 16," Ahmed Jomaa, 29, told IRIN in Baghdad.

The survey also reported that 93 percent of people who were employed had more than one job to help make ends meet and that nearly a quarter were earning less than US $70 per week.

A similar survey was conducted in Iraq in 1997 but it did not include the northern governorates. However, aid workers argue that the latest survey could not be compared with the previous one.

Alia al-Dalli, a spokeswoman for the UNDP in the Jordanian capital, Amman said there had been difficulties in conducting the survey because of insecurity but that experienced and skilled interviewers had delivered reliable data.

"The survey not only allows for a good understanding of socio-economic conditions in Iraq but will also be a building block for further analysis, that will certainly benefit the development and reconstruction processes in Iraq," Staaffan de Mistura, the UN Deputy Special Representative for Humanitarian, Reconstruction and Development Affairs, said in a statement issued by the UN on Thursday.

[ENDS]
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 06:03 am
I'd like to recommend the reading of a recently published (by Rand Corporation, sponsored by the United Staes Army) research:

American Public Support for U.S. Military Operations from Mogadishu to Baghdad

"The support of the American public is widely held to be a critical prerequisite for undertaking military action abroad. This monograph describes American public opinion toward wars and other large military operations over the last decade, to delineate the sources of support and opposition for each war or operation, to identify the principal fault lines in support, and to illuminate those factors that are consistent predictors of support for and opposition to military operations."

Full document (PDF; 2.6 MB)

Summary (PDF; 0.1 MB)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:20 am
The article you cited, Walter, is a year old--when conditions were much worse.

Things have improved dramatically since then, as my more recent articles prove.

I know you're glad things are better--and improving.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:24 am
In the Guardian website today, it said Basra was now a no-go area...this is worse than a year ago, when it was relatively safe to walk around the streets there.

Lash, don't be a prat- nobody here is glad if things get worse.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1495800,00.html
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:29 am
Then, I'm glad to bring the good news.

I can see the mood here has lifted already.
-------------
It is undeniable the safety factor is at what is very close to it's worse. The insurgents are in their last gasp--and making the most of it.

They will be spent before much longer.
That will set rebuilding and improvements on a rapid pace.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:34 am
In the BBC website today, a French judge says that the Al-Qaeda threat is greater now (France has a large muslim population):

Al-Qaeda terror threat 'growing'

Judge Bruguiere: Al-Qaeda is "bigger, more scattered, more difficult"
France's top anti-terrorism judge, Jean-Louis Bruguiere, has warned that al-Qaeda is now more fragmented and a bigger threat than before.
He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that al-Qaeda had attracted younger recruits radicalised by the Iraq war.

"We have a multiplication of all the cells, groups and connections," he said, warning that "unknown elements" were being recruited very quickly.

Judge Bruguiere stressed the importance of identity cards to prevent terrorism.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4595313.stm
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:39 am
Lash wrote:
Then, I'm glad to bring the good news.

I can see the mood here has lifted already.
-------------
It is undeniable the safety factor is at what is very close to it's worse. The insurgents are in their last gasp--and making the most of it.

It's true that when things are very bad, any change can be an improvement.
What is the american expression, "Whistling Dixie"? I sincerely hope it's not that....but I think it is.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:52 am
In a report I heard on NPR this morning regarding electricity in Iraq.....an interviewed resident said part of the problem in his neighborhood was that thieves are stealing the power lines to sell the copper. As much as 600-800 meters at a time is stolen in remote areas which devastates the power grid.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:54 am
The police keep getting blown to smithereens, small wonder theivery prospers.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:56 am
This is better?

Quote:

Informed Comment

Thoughts on the Middle East, History, and Religion Juan Cole is Professor of History at the University of Michigan
1. 31 Dead, 108 Wounded in Hillah Blasts Basra Insec...
31 Dead, 108 Wounded in Hillah Blasts
Basra Insecure

Suicide bombers in the Shiite city of Hillah about an hour's drive south of Baghdad killed at least 31 persons and wounded 108 on Monday. Al-Zaman says one bomber targeted recruits to the Iraqi security forces standing in line for a medical examination. Another hit recently fired security men who had been let go and who were demonstrating because they said they were still owed back pay. It should be remembered that these bombs inevitably kill a lot of civilian by-standers.

On Sunday night, one Iraqi soldier was killed and 4 were wounded in Baiji north of Baghdad in a bombing directed at a joint US/ Iraqi patrol in the west of the city. In the eastern part of the city of Balad, another Iraqi soldier was killed by a mortar strike. Two bodies of drivers were discovered at Sahliyah, who had been kidnapped by guerrillas last week. Guerrillas killed Col. Ahmad Salih al-Barzinji Sunday night after he had been kidnapped in Kirkuk.

In Irbil, guerrillas subjected the South Korean contingent to mortar fire for the first time, but did not appear to hit anything of value. On Sunday, the US military sweep of Hadithah in western Iraq came to an end.

An Iraqi army force detained (al-Zaman says "kidnapped") the Sunni cleric Shaikh Nawfal Kadhim al-Juburi, the prayer leader at the al-Salam mosque in Nahrawan in southeast Baghdad along with 35 worshippers in a dawn raid on the mosque. The raid was forcefully condemned by the Sunni Pious Endowments Board.

Al-Hayat Muhsin Abdul Hamid, a former president of Iraq under the American Coalition Provisional Authority and the leader of the Iraqi Islamic Party who was mistakenly arrested by the US military and then released, said late Monday that he considered the arrest to have been "deliberate." Party spokesmen said that the arrest was a piece of American "stupidity" aimed at alienating the Sunni Arabs from political participation. Meanwhile, the other major religious group among the Sunnis, the Association of Muslim Scholars, condemned the arrest as proof that the elected Iraqi government "is not sovereign over the country" and said that Abdul Hamid's detention "underlined the power of the Occupier." They added, "no Iraqi is safe under the shadow of presence" of the occupying forces. An AMS spokesman said that the government's acceptance of this situation had multiplied the opportunities for the occupiers to intervene in Iraqi affairs. The AMS called for a united Iraqi front that would stop the occupying forces in their tracks. Adnan al-Dulaimi, another Sunni spokesman, said that there is a hidden hand plotting to marginalize the Sunni Arabs.

Abdul Hamid said he still did not know why he had been taken into custody along with his sons. He said, "American troops invaded my home at 4 am. They handcuffed me and led me to an unknown place, then transported me by helicopter to yet another location, where I was interrogated all day long about various matters." The US military apologized to Abdul Hamid for the inconvenience.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:08 am
Lash wrote:
The article you cited, Walter, is a year old--when conditions were much worse.

Things have improved dramatically since then, as my more recent articles prove.

I know you're glad things are better--and improving.

Quote:
BAGHDAD, 16 May 2005
The Iraqi Living Conditions (ILC) survey, released on 12 May, was carried out by the Ministry of Planning and Development Cooperation (MoPDC) with assistance from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:57 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
U.S. forces arrest Iraqi Sunni leader, party says
Mon May 30, 2005

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. troops arrested the leader of one of Iraq's main Sunni Arab political parties at his house in Baghdad on Monday, party officials said.

No problem, just a mistake:

US military officials have acknowledged that the arrest Monday of Sunni leader Mohsen Abdel Hamid, head of the Iraqi Islamic Party, was a mistake, and that US forces had confused Hamid with someone else.
Quote:
Release A050530d

Coalition forces detain, release Mr. Muhsin Abdul Hamid

BAGHDAD , Iraq - This morning Coalition forces detained and interviewed Muhsin Abdul Hamid. Following the interview it was determined that he was detained by mistake and should be released.

Mr. Hamid is being returned to his home.

Coalition forces regret any inconvenience and acknowledge Mr. Hamid's cooperation in resolving this matter.
source: Multi-National Force Iraq
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:06 am
Lash
Quote:

What, pray tell, leads you to believe that the insurgents are in their 'last gasp'?

I mean, I'd just like to see the data that you would provide that would lead you to such an opinion. Because, yaknow, I can remember people saying that in Janurary. And last November. Also, last June. They were incorrect; what makes you believe that you are correct?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:40 am
The only one's making their "last gasp" are those getting killed daily. To think that the insurgents are going to reduce their killing fields soon is naive at worst. "Major combat operations is now over" was the most stupid statement made by any president.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:50 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
U.S. forces arrest Iraqi Sunni leader, party says
Mon May 30, 2005

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. troops arrested the leader of one of Iraq's main Sunni Arab political parties at his house in Baghdad on Monday, party officials said.

No problem, just a mistake:

US military officials have acknowledged that the arrest Monday of Sunni leader Mohsen Abdel Hamid, head of the Iraqi Islamic Party, was a mistake, and that US forces had confused Hamid with someone else.
Quote:
Release A050530d

Coalition forces detain, release Mr. Muhsin Abdul Hamid

BAGHDAD , Iraq – This morning Coalition forces detained and interviewed Muhsin Abdul Hamid. Following the interview it was determined that he was detained by mistake and should be released.

Mr. Hamid is being returned to his home.

Coalition forces regret any inconvenience and acknowledge Mr. Hamid's cooperation in resolving this matter.
source: Multi-National Force Iraq

I believe in arresting the wrong man (a senior politician) they broke down his doors, used stun grenades (while his family were in residence) and pinned him down with their feet.

Apart from that, no harm done, and they apologised and released him a few hours later, when they realised their mistake.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:52 am
How would president Bush had reacted treated the same?
0 Replies