Vinegar pickled turnip + beets have started fermenting

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2019 10:54 pm
I made a turnip and beetroot pickle with cold vinegar and cold water (boiled then coooled) in approx 50:50 ratio with approx 2tbsp salt per litre of liquid. 5 days in it has started bubbling. I would have expected it to be too acidic for fermentation. Is there any reason to be concerned? Is this safe? I assume it's friendly lacto bacteria doing their thing?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 779 • Replies: 3
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 12:03 am
@PicklePaul,
I honestly don't know, but every recipe for pickling I've used uses 100% pickling vinegar. Diluting it with water is not a good idea.
farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 05:15 am
@izzythepush,
We use complete cider or malt vingar and NO water. Hes just creating a medium for molds and skanky yeasts. Ill bet there are amoeba and paramecia in there wove been extremophiling themselves. WHO KNOWS WHATS GONNA COME OUTTA THAT JUG.
(Id toss it and not take a chance because of C botulinum if you send it in a methanogenic direction.

Sometimes when we pickle, w only us salt an sugar (dry)."It makes its own gravy" and makes a great "sweet n saur, chow chow". Gherkins and spears we always blanch the cukes very quickly and then dunk em deep into a vinegar salt garlic and sugar brine. They stay crispy if we add a wee bit of ALUM, but I dont like the taste and astringency that even a tiny bit of Alum adds. Always weigh em down with a plate with a clean brick.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 07:00 am
@farmerman,
I've only pickled onions, soak them in brine for 24 hours then pickling vinegar with whatever herbs and spices come to mind.
0 Replies