Swimpy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:21 pm
I'm making refrigerator pickles. Do I have to put them in glass containers or can I use plastic?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,500 • Replies: 28
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:23 pm
I dunno what bad thing plastic would do... but y'know, me, I'd go for glass.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:28 pm
I love pickles.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:31 pm
I'm pretty suspicious about any food products in plastic. I'm not sure I really believe in Food Grade Plastic. Glass it is for me.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:36 pm
My sister is all into this kind of thing and she said she read something about plastic being bad for you and she bought these glass canteens for her bottled water made just for that purpose. Thats all her and the kids use.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:44 pm
You should use a glass or a ceramic bowl. Plastics can transfer dioxins (aka chemical migration) when they come in contact with acids (vinegar, tomatoes, lemons etc). Heat can also cause these migrations and that is why you should also not use plastic in microwaves.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:45 pm
one of my favourite rant topics
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:52 pm
Agreeing with ehBeth' skepticism about the food grade plastic. Besides, plastic would likely retain the smell and you'd never be able to use the containers for anything else.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:00 pm
but, but, but...I'd be recycling my yogurt containers and I'd have to go out and buy glass jars since I don't have any.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:07 pm
Swimpy wrote:
but, but, but...I'd be recycling my yogurt containers and I'd have to go out and buy glass jars since I don't have any.

Go to a local deli or school cafeteria and ask them for a large, empty pickle or mayonnaise jar. They are institutional gallon size and most places will give them to you for free. I have a bunch of these that I store things like flour and rice in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:10 pm
Just say no to plastic!

~~~

Will a gallon-size jar of pickles fit in a refrigerator? (maybe it's one of those everything's bigger in Murrica things :wink: )
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:18 pm
ehBeth wrote:

Will a gallon-size jar of pickles fit in a refrigerator? (maybe it's one of those everything's bigger in Murrica things :wink: )

Sure, just like a gallon of milk. One side of my fridge has six adjustable shelves for low items and the other side has two adjustable shelves for tall things. American refrigerators have been designed to hold a side of beef, if the need arises.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:31 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Just say no to plastic!

~~~

Not in my fridge.

I'm not making that many pickles that i need gallon size jars.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:37 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Sure, just like a gallon of milk.

That's funny. A woman at work was telling me today that one of the most difficult things for her to adjust to when she moved to Canada about 20 years ago was ... no gallon jugs of milk. Don't sell 'em, don't have fridges to hold 'em.

~~~

hmmm, no big spaghetti sauce bottles, Swimpy?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:44 pm
Regarding dioxins and plastic: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:58 pm
Well, I save most of my glass jars and some of the bottles. The small glass jars are mostly for my painting needs, and the, heh, pickle size ones are my equivalent of tupperware.

Before all the eco concerns, I think/thought plastic is oohggyy. Not that I'm perfect about that, but I mostly follow my calling to glass.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:14 pm
Sorry, I remain unconvinced. Please show me some studies to back up the oohiness.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:22 pm
I'm not interested in convincing you with data - just giving my gut opinion.

As for glass, I aesthetically like all kinds of bottles and drinking glasses and vases and on and on and on. Right now I'm going to try a suggestion re hair dryer on another thread to take off the labels on a brown glass bottle that held a coffee liqueor, a bottle that looks like one of those stove top espresso pots. That bottle has been empty for years, and I still think it is a work of art.

I like the body of glass, the glimmer of it, the clank of it, and so on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:35 pm
I would still think this way if plastic were pure as the driven earth. Indeed it was portrayed well early on, before the ocean clogging, et al.

Goes with my love of ceramics..
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 04:15 am
No ooginess here, but plastic will take on the smell of the brining solution and you won't be able to reuse it for anything else unless you wash it really well. Glass can be much more readily sterilized and deodorized.