Looking for help making Horse Radish Pickles

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2022 04:15 pm
I have quite a bit of experience making pickles. Mostly spicy, garlic, and half sour pickles. I’d really like to make Horse Radish pickles though. Haven’t found many recipes for them online. I researched all I could and tried making a few. The horse radish flavor was really weak. Barely could taste it at all. The next batch I added way more horse radish. So much, the brine was white and you couldn’t even see the pickles. Still, the flavor wasn’t really strong. I’ve tried using both fresh Horse Radish root and prepared horse radish. I’ve had other homemade ones that were really strong in flavor. I just don’t see where I’m going wrong here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 372 • Replies: 1
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2022 09:01 pm
@CMorkaut,
Hm, I don't think you should pickle horseradish, you make a paste of it.
First you shred the a big horseradish and then puree it fine. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoon lemon juice, white vinegar, 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream. Mix together and put in an airtight glass container.

-------------
Pickles with horseradish are like this: you best buy Persian cucumbers,
2 ts salt, 1 ts horseradish, some fresh dill, 5 ts apple cider vinegar and water,
1 teasp black peppercorns and mustard seeds, 2 bay leaves, 3.5 oz. sugar

Scrub cucumbers very well and put in a bowl with water and salt and let it
sit for 24 hours. Prepare pickle glasses and add sliced cucumbers and horseradish.

Heat water in a skillet, add dill, bay leaves, sugar and other ingredients, boil it for 5 min and let it cool down and pour into glasses with cucumber and horseradish. Close glasses immediately and let it sit for 2 weeks in a dark, cool room or refrigerator.
0 Replies