Okay Lola and Blatham...time to put up or shut up!

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 12:48 am
JLNobody wrote:
Fredjones and Watchmakers, thank you both for elevating the quality of this discussion.

You are of course, most welcome. However I must confess to feeling miffed that Frank completely ignored my post. I thought that it had covered a few points which hadn't been in the thread elsewhere and I'd hoped to hear his response.

Frank, if you have a few moments I'd appreciate your thoughts on my earlier post.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 12:59 am
Quote:
The believe that god (or the some sort of higher spirit) is inherent in all living things. Maybe also inanimate objects, I forget...

Does this mean God would be in a serial killer or child molestor, also?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:17 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
JLNobody wrote:
Fredjones and Watchmakers, thank you both for elevating the quality of this discussion.

You are of course, most welcome. However I must confess to feeling miffed that Frank completely ignored my post. I thought that it had covered a few points which hadn't been in the thread elsewhere and I'd hoped to hear his response.

Frank, if you have a few moments I'd appreciate your thoughts on my earlier post.

sorry, Dog...I did write a reply to your post...and I thought I posted it at the same time as my reply to JL. In fact, I mentioned in that post that I was answering two people. But somehow, the second post never got here.

I'll see if I can retrieve my response...or I will write another this afternoon. The golf course calls.

CodeBorg Thanks once again. You are right on target with your comments...even if you are not an agnostic.

As you can see, JL is changing the parameters in order to try to save face. He does this often.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 06:17 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
sorry, Dog...I did write a reply to your post...and I thought I posted it at the same time as my reply to JL. In fact, I mentioned in that post that I was answering two people. But somehow, the second post never got here.

No, completely understandable. I've had that happen a few times myself. I look forward to seeing your comments.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:17 am
Can I be referee?

Thank you.

Right.I want no holding,no biting or scratching and come out fighting.And Lola-no kicking at Frank's tender spots.

Dingdungdongdengdang.

(Latest betting-Lola 4 to 6,Bernardissimo 7 to 4,the leaning tower of pissa 16 to 1.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:29 am
What sort of a god would create a universe run by the sort of god he is?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:35 am
Round 1 score.

Generalissimo 4.9.Mrs Bumpskins love.The LTOP nil.

(Revised betting-Lola 4 to 6.Berna 13 to 8.The Pisspot 25 to 1.)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:05 am
Now I have to take the time to read back......you guys have been busy here........

Frank,

Are we debating the "everyone has to be an agnostic because no one can ever know" premise?

Spendius,

Are those good odds for me?.......I've never been a bet placer. Except in the stock market and there I have help.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:27 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:46 am
Lola wrote:
Now I have to take the time to read back......you guys have been busy here........

Frank,

Are we debating the "everyone has to be an agnostic because no one can ever know" premise?

Hell no. I have no idea if "no one can ever know."

I know I do not know.

We are debating or discussing whatever it was you (and Bernie) had in mind on the balcony of your apartment last Saturday night...and decided a party was not the place for the discussion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:00 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
Frank,

Here's my issue. You're playing word games.

I most assuredly am NOT playing word games.

Quote:
Anyone of the meanest intelligence realises that their beliefs and knowledge have a margin of error. This doesn't prevent you from holding an opinion on a matter.

I have opinions on many matters. I have, in fact, an opinion on this one. I am of the opinion that there is not anywhere near enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction.

Quote:
There are cases where it is otherwise, where ignorance is so total that you can't even venture an opinion. If someone asks me what football team will win the next grand final, I have to admit that I have no idea. My complete ignorance of football would mean any guess would simply be naming at random one of the few teams whose names I know. (though in and of itself that would give me a better than random chance of accuracy since fame and success are somewhat linked).

Well...that is how I feel about the issue of "What is the nature of REALITY?" At best...I can make a random choice. And if you think that is of any value...I will do so.

Hold on...I am flipping the coin.

HEADS!

Okay...for the duration of this post...I guess there is a God.

Quote:
I'm an atheist. Do I know that there is no divine entities? Hell no. Never the less I hold an opinion. My belief, is also that YOU have an opinion, concious or unconcious, voiced or unvoiced. The problem is that you're playing wordgames and stating that you "don't know".

This paragraph is absurd...and you sound like an intelligent enough person to step back from it and see its absurdity.

I AM NOT PLAYING ANY GODDAM WORD GAMES.

I am beginning to think you are, Dog.

Quote:
The thing is, no one (of any intelligence) is asking you what you know. They're asking you for your opinion, because that's all any of us have.

Yeah...but when I give my opinion (which I just did above) people like you reject it for no goddam good reason.

Stop doing that!

Quote:
To claim agnositicism here, is to say that you know so little about the field that you can't even form an opinion which I find unrealistic in the environment of our religious culture.

What are you talking about?

There are people who insist that the evidence available points to there being a God. There are other people who insist that the evidence available points to there being no gods.

I insist that the evidence is ambiguous....and doesn't point in either direction sufficiently for a guess to be made.

AND YOU ARE FAULTING ME?????

C'mon, Dog. Get real.

Quote:
Stop playing word games and join the rest of us in venturing to share our opinions, instincts and feelings. We're all agnostic. But that doesn't stop us from being atheists or theists, even if only mildly one way or the other.

I AM AN AGNOSTIC. I do not know if there is a God; I do not know if there are no gods; and I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a guess in either direction.

I personally see that position as being superior in all respects to yours...and I think it is presumptuous of you to suggest I lower my standards to yours.

All said with the most respect possible, of course.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:08 am
Lola:-

Bingo.Tell me about the help you get on the stock market.Sod all that other stuff.Mammon is God and I'm a fundamentalist.What's your latest insider trading info.I love insider trading.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:12 am
spendius wrote:
Lola:-

Bingo.Tell me about the help you get on the stock market.Sod all that other stuff.Mammon is God and I'm a fundamentalist.What's your latest insider trading info.I love insider trading.

I don't know.........ask my financial consultant.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:14 am
Frank:-

You just lost round 2.You are playing word games and telling lies loses you the round.

Betting update-Lola Bumpskins 1 to 2.Burnlikker 3 to 1,Watchdog 8 to 1.Chamberfull 100 to 1.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:23 am
Dongdingdangdengdung.

Fighting between rounds can lead to instant disqualification.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 10:24 am
Quote:
I have opinions on many matters. I have, in fact, an opinion on this one. I am of the opinion that there is not anywhere near enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction.

If you were forced to say which explanation seems more plausible to you, Frank, which would you chose?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 10:29 am
You can't win Frank. I've had the same thing happen to me before.

Maybe if you try to use less inflammatory words, like "prick", "c*cksucker", or "dickhead". :wink:
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:01 am
Quote:
It's said that the only rational stance is agnosticism because you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of the supernatural creator. I find that a weak position. It is true that you can't disprove anything but you can put a probability value on it. There's an infinite number of things that you can't disprove: unicorns, werewolves, and teapots in orbit around Mars. But we don't pay any heed to them unless there is some positive reason to think that they do exist.

Believing in God is like believing in a teapot orbiting Mars?

Yes. For a long time it seemed clear to just about everybody that the beauty and elegance of the world seemed to be prima facie evidence for a divine creator. But the philosopher David Hume already realized three centuries ago that this was a bad argument. It leads to an infinite regression. You can't statistically explain improbable things like living creatures by saying that they must have been designed because you're still left to explain the designer, who must be, if anything, an even more statistically improbable and elegant thing. Design can never be an ultimate explanation for anything. It can only be a proximate explanation. A plane or a car is explained by a designer but that's because the designer himself, the engineer, is explained by natural selection.

Those who embrace "intelligent design" -- the idea that living cells are too complex to have been created by nature alone -- say evolution isn't incompatible with the existence of God.

There is just no evidence for the existence of God. Evolution by natural selection is a process that works up from simple beginnings, and simple beginnings are easy to explain. The engineer or any other living thing is difficult to explain -- but it is explicable by evolution by natural selection. So the relevance of evolutionary biology to atheism is that evolutionary biology gives us the only known mechanism whereby the illusion of design, or apparent design, could ever come into the universe anywhere.

OK, this is why I can call myself an atheist. I believe we have many pieces of good, consistent scientific evidence for the process of evolution as an explanation for the existence of life on earth. We have zero scientific evidence for the existence of God.

I agree with watchmaker about this. We can never know anything as an absolute fact. But enough consistent evidence for which there is no known evidence to contradict it can constitute what we know as scientific fact (which of necessity requires doubt). Here Richard Feynman explains:

Quote:
If we were not able or did not desire to look in any new direction, if we did not have a doubt or recognize ignorance, we would not get any new ideas. There would be nothing worth checking, because we would know what is true. So what we call scientific knowledge today is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty. Some of them are most unsure; some of them are nearly sure; but none is absolutely certain. Scientists are used to this.

We know that it is consistent to be able to live and not know. Some people say, "How can you live without knowing?" I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know.

The freedom to doubt is an important matter in the sciences and, I believe, in other fields. It was born of a struggle. It was a struggle to be permitted to doubt, to be unsure. And I do not want us to forget the importance of the struggle and, by default, to let the thing fall away.

I feel a responsibility to proclaim the value of this freedom and to teach that doubt is not to be feared, but that it is to be welcomed as the possibility of a new potential for human beings. If you know that you are not sure, you have a chance to improve the situation. I want to demand this freedom for future generations.

-- Richard Feynman, The Meaning Of It All, Addison
Wesley, 1998.

So fact is defined based on the preponderance of evidence. If there is a lot of replicable data, all pointing in one direction and none in the other........we can assume the scientific conclusion supported by the evidence to be a fact, until proven otherwise. As far as I can tell, there is a lot of data supporting an evolutionary explanation and none supporting the explanation of a creator.......plus arguments for a designer has the oh so huge problem of the infinite regress, as Dawkins points out above. Ultimately, one must explain the creation of the designer, so off we go around the rink.

I believe there is no God as much as I believe the world is round, or that water is composed of two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen or that my apartment is on the 19th floor of my building here in New York City and I can't jump off my balcony without injuring myself significantly, probably resulting in my death, so therefore, if I want to live, I must not be jumping over the railing.

So call it what you will, Frank. I see no evidence for the existence of God and plenty pointing in the other direction. To me this is fact, as defined by Feynman. And that's good enough for me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:10 am
Thanks, Kickycan, but you forgot his ubiquitious "bullshyt." Frank's use of the term "evidence" reflects a philosophically sophmoric positivism that plays down the role of interpretation in favor of umabiguous facts that would do our thinking or interpreting for us. When I challenge him (as I believe Lola does) to tell us what he THINKS, interprets, believes-may-be-more-likely-the-case he falls back on the lazy doctrine that we do not know (and therefore should not make interpretations based on the general character of our life experience), and, he finds intellectual refuge in concluding that is what we DO know.
Frank says, I think to his sidekick, CodeBorg, that "JL is changing the parameters in order to try to save face. He does this often." At least he is now doing some interpretation, as wrong as it turns out to be. The fact is that I am too busy and too old to waste my time responding to "cute" comments decorated by such homely terms as "goin", "ya", Hell no, Goddam, etc. In other words, I choose for the above reasons not to respond to much of what he says; it is not because of the "strength" of his arguments. It is mainly because of their innaneness.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:24 am
No y'all be nice to Frank even if his language is a little bit down home.

Frank,

Try, in turn to be nice to your guests, please. Now, I would like you to make a "Sophie's Choice." Just for curiousity's sake.

What is the importance to you of this subject? It must be very important, or you wouldn't expend so much energy on it. If we could know what it means to each of us, me included, we might be able to get to the point of admitting that we're all in agreement.

All of us defining ourselves as either agnostic or atheist, that is.
0 Replies