Missing Bride-to-Be Found Alive!

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:28 am
Nice points, kelticwizard.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:41 am
I am happy to hear she is physically well. I think it's clear she panicked from the stress of the impending marriage and perhaps a change of mind, although I do wonder about the reports of her planning and booking a bus ticket in advance. Can't understand really why she didn't just leave a message/note for her parents/fiance or make a phone call just before she left so they wouldn't worry and call in the police. I thought it was silly of her to lie to the police and attempt to fake a kidnapping, and this is what she is going to be hounded for, for some time to come. In hindsight, she might find it would have been cheaper to cancel the wedding than to repay the cost of the search that took place for her. I think she must have freaked when she realized the amount of media attention being spent on her disappearance - never thought THAT was going to happen!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:20 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Is it necessary for us to find the corpse of some runaway-suicide,and discover that, just before they killed themselves, they told someone on the street that they were thinking of returning home, but just couldn't face what was going to be waiting there, before we realize this?

That's a bit of a stretch. I mean, were not talking about a fourteen year old girl sold into a marriage that she had nothing to do with and in her inexperienced mind, there was no other way out. We're talking about grown people here. Not babies.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:23 am
She was obviously in a highly distressed state, though. As an adult, she shouldn't have done any of this -- running away, running away without a note, saying that she was kidnapped, and on and on. I don't think it's too enormous of a stretch that if she did all of that, and knew what was facing her, she'd take it the rest of the way. Not saying she *would*, but could imagine it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 02:45 pm
I haven't been following this story but do you really mean that she disappeared and they had this big search and nobody thought to check to see if she had bought a ticket to somewhere!?

eoe, I think you made an excellent point with your comment about how "the T-shirt isn't tied to the missing Georgia woman".

Really, you can almost feel the media searching for a photogenic, sympathetic, woman in peril to feature on the nightly news.

I've been thinking a bit about fear lately and how easy it is to become afraid. I believe we have become a society of caution.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 02:56 pm
Totally, boomer. I'm trying to formulate an article around that idea right now. (It's not going so great.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 02:58 pm
Ping me when it's done. That's been one of my pet topics since having children.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:01 pm
Ping me too!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:20 pm
This is a bit off topic but....

I wander out to get my mail and find the new Newsweek. I turn to the Perspectives page - my favorite - and I find this blurb:

"We know many of these recommendations are going to be implemented. The question is whether they're going to be implemented before the next attack or after it."
-Thomas Kean, 9/11 Commission member, on the panelists' frustration with the slow pace of action on their proposals to strengthen homeland security.

I stopped in a thread the other day and someone was notion that South Korea has nuclear bombs pointed at my city. (If so, I just pray that the bomb falls directly on my house because I wanna go out quick.)

And we wonder why we're so afraid.....
0 Replies