Married and I kissed another man...should I tell him?

kablee

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:24 pm
I have been married for 11 years. I play in a tennis league and I have become friendly with a male teammate. We've flirted a little but it seemed pretty innocent to me. A group of us went out for drinks the other night and we ended up being the last two left. When he walked me to my car, he leaned over and kissed me. I have to admit I did kiss him back but it only lasted a few seconds, then I pulled away. He invited me to go "somewhere" with him but I told him I was happily married and I could never do that. He respected that and we left.
I feel awful about the whole thing and I'm wondering if I should tell my husband. I don't want to hurt him but I feel so guilty about hiding this from him. Should I just forget about it and move on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 37,366 • Replies: 58
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:36 pm
Yes, you should--forget about it and move on. Don't buy trouble. Once, a long time ago, finding myself in your situation (but not married, fortunately), i told the woman in my life what had happened. Explaining that it was a mistake, that it was unintended--none of that helped. The hurt was there, it was big, and it would not go away. And trust disappeared. I don't think what happened was necessarily anything about which you need to feel guilty; but you'll never regain the trust of your mate, if once you lose it. No amount of explanation on your part will remove the nagging suspicions which will thereafter haunt him forever.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:59 pm
I completely agree with Setanta. All it would do is hurt him and your marriage.

Don't beat yourself up over it either. It was just a few second kiss and you pulled away. Not a big deal, so cut yourself some slack.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 01:46 pm
I would agree with the other 2. If you had done something over a period of time then ok you need to clear the air with your spouse. But a 2 second lapse of judgement, that was initiated by someone else... for the amount of hurt it would cause it's just not worth it
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 02:02 pm

i'll take the opposing side here... tell him.
u didn't initiate it, so u shouldn't feel guilty about telling him what happened.

how do u think he'd take it if u told him?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 02:54 pm
Don't tell him. What's don is done and over with, why
would you want to tell your husband? Just to ease your
conscience, isn't it?

I can tell you now, you won't feel better afterwards, you
just won't and your husband either.

Some things are better left unsaid.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 03:26 pm
Telling him would be a mistake.

Just don't put yourself in the position to do it again.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:12 pm
kablee- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

It was a momentary slip, and not initiated by you.

Quote:
I told him I was happily married and I could never do that.

You did exactly the right thing. There would be no point to tell your husband. What would it accomplish? What if he insisted that you leave the league?

As long the Lothario does not bother you any more, I would just forget about it. It's no big deal. Don't create one!
0 Replies

desiret0261

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:33 pm
Embarrassed IF I WAS YOU LEAVE IT ALONE.... WHAT HE DON'T SEE HE WON'T FEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:59 am
If I were your husband, i don't think I would want to know. Actually i would want to know if you were cheating on me. But something little like one kiss, would just make a man like me go crazy. It would just bring out a little mistrust and insecurity that most people have.

There's alot of other things you probably keep to yourself. Secret crushes on his friends and things like that. Us men certainly wouldn not tell our wives or girlfriends if we found one of her friends attractive. If you were all about the "truth" then disclosing this stuff would be normal too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 03:55 pm
You might tell your husband that The Pouncer is flirting--and while the Pouncer could be attractive to an unattached woman, you love him.
I wouldn't get into the specifics of the number of seconds you responded to the kiss--bottom line is you are not attracted.

I've found that announcing the existence of a flirtation makes the flirtation less enchanting and the marriage more solid.

Under the circumstances I'd consider finding another ride.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:05 pm
I think the "not tell hims" have it. I don't understand why you would even consider it. The real question should be what to say to the "other man."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:12 pm
"Piss off, Jack" comes to mind . . . but then, i'm a Charm School dropout . . .
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:13 pm
kablee

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been married for 11 years. I play in a tennis league and I have become friendly with a male teammate. We've flirted a little but it seemed pretty innocent to me.

Sorry kablee, I don't think so.

"I have become friendly with a male teammate".

"We've flirted a little".

"We were the last to leave".

You are trying to make yourself feel better about something that you are allowing to happen.

I have been there.

And you are letting yourself go there, as well.

The roller coaster you are about to get on kablee, will make anything Six Flags has to offer,look like a walk in the park.

Get ready to pay the admission.

It is going to be very expensive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:18 pm
- I wouldn't tell your husband, not because the episode was scandalous and threatening in any way, but that your previous nonserious flirting and the guy's advance could stir up a storm of feelings that would be inappropriate to the actual event and set distrust and its uglies in motion.

- I wouldn't feel guilty either. Life is not an airless box and neither is marriage. You took care of setting a good limit with your parting speech. Leave it at that and straighten your shoulders.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:39 pm
Could be reading too much into this but the fact that she even considered telling him then asking advice about it is meaningful. Not knowing the details, I have no idea WHAT it means but there is something going on here that she has not revealed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 06:15 pm
Well, maybe it is revealed, in that kablee probably feels guilty about her flirting. Which is why I mention the need for air.

Maybe, kablee, you feel you were asking for the advance, and that you were disloyal, and so on.
Flirting with intent is certainly something to look at in oneself, if that is what was going on. Kablee said it wasn't. If it was, I see no need to mention that either - but it is well worth understanding yourself.

It's true that flirting and being taken seriously can awaken new awareness of discomfort in a relationship. It's a tricky business, in that even the most melodious relationships have natural discomfort zones.

Personally, I'd have conversations with myself before I would talk with my spouse insensitively.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 06:26 pm
I also think she should stay away from the guy since there's obviously an attraction there.
0 Replies

kittygirl

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:33 pm
I dont think i really need to put a response in, as i pretty much agree with everyone else. I say, dont tell him. Your "punishment" for kissing back is beating yourself up about it, and its probably the only thing you are thinking about. Why do you need to punish him to? As long as you are sure that there was nothing in the kiss, and you are still completely happy in your marriage, there is no need to hurt him. Sometimes having feelings for someone else means that you are not satisfied in what you have already, but other times its just a curiousity thing. Im sure your friend took you by surprise which is the reason you didnt pull away immediately. As long as he accepts that you really want to stay faithful to your husband, then you can stay friends. Can you trust yourself?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:49 pm
Sound thinking, Kittygirl . . . your final question to our interlocutor is very adroit . . .
0 Replies