I've Been Invaded!!!!

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:21 am
I woke up this morning, stumbled to the shower and flipped on the light. ACK! There were ants crawling all over my bathroom counter! On the wall! On my toothbrush holder! On the soap dispenser! I grabbed a wad of toilet paper and started squishing. 1..2..3,4,5....6...7,8,9,10...holy crap.....11...12,13,14,15,16,.....I must have squashed 50 ants! I got in the shower, a little hesitant of course. When I was finished, I got out and ACK! More!!!! All in all, I think I squished and flushed about 70-75 ants this morning. I cannot live this way! So, before work I have to stop and tell the apartment people. I save one, put it in a baggie and head over to the maintenance building.

Guess what folks? I have Pharaoh ants. The are not native to Michigan and in fact, like nice, warm, damp climates (hence their home in my bathroom). Some A-hole brought them to the complex from a subtropical climate, albeit in a house plant they moved or something like that. And guess what else? If you spray them, they split into multiple nests. They have multiple queens. And they are quite wiley. Soooo... I have to have a professional come and rid me of the ants that have taken over. There may be multiple nests. I don't know. There may be thousands in the walls. I don't know. I might come home to find a swarm of ants in my bathroom again. Why, oh why did they pick my home? I am nice to live with but come on. I am afraid to go home. It may take weeks to rid the place completely of them since they do split up into multiple nests to ensure survival. **sigh**

What a great way to start Friday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,702 • Replies: 45
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:28 am
Shouldn't your property manager have to take care of that? After all, they could be damaging the building.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:32 am
Re: I've Been Invaded!!!!
Bella Dea wrote:

Ooooooh, awful, awful! Shocked
Good luck with getting rid of them. I feel itchy just reading this!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:38 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Shouldn't your property manager have to take care of that? After all, they could be damaging the building.

They are...but the ants don't do any damage. They are just nuisance pests.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:46 am
Fear Not... Terro is here!!!

http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/terroant.html

Put a little bit of this stuff on a piece of wax paper and set it down on the floor (don't let your pets get at it). Pretty soon the ants will be gathered around drinking it up like horses at a watering hole. They carry it back to their nest (no matter how many they might have) and share it with the rest. Pretty soon... no more ants.

It works great.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:47 am
And I thought finding a couple of spiders was horrible.

When is the management company going to get rid of them? Hopefully soon.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:48 am
Thanks JP but...
I am not spending a penny on this problem. I am making the apartment do it.
Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:48 am
They have to come and inspect to see where they need to lay the bait...they'll put it down and then we wait........
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:50 am
Re: I've Been Invaded!!!!
msolga wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Ooooooh, awful, awful! Shocked
Good luck with getting rid of them. I feel itchy just reading this!

You feel itchy? I STILL feel buggy 2 hours later! Shocked Confused
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:55 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Thanks JP but...
Smile

Well... look at it this way. You can spend a couple of bucks on some bait and start killing the little suckers right away. Then next rent check subtract the amount spent from the total and send in a copy of the receipt with the check.

Or, you could wait for the apartment manager to do something... all the while having to defend your apartment from an infestation of ants.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:01 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Thanks JP but...
Smile

Well... look at it this way. You can spend a couple of bucks on some bait and start killing the little suckers right away. Then next rent check subtract the amount spent from the total and send in a copy of the receipt with the check.

Or, you could wait for the apartment manager to do something... all the while having to defend your apartment from an infestation of ants.

Yeah, damn it JP, you're right...I hate it when you're right but you are right.....
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:05 am
Why do you hate when I'm right???
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:06 am
You are a man. Smile
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:07 am
Hey Bella...uh...think you've got something in your hair.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:09 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Hey Bella...uh...think you've got something in your hair.

AHHHHHHH!!! GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF!!!!

http://www.edvard-munch.com/Paintings/anxiety/scream_2.jpg

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:49 am
I'll loan you my two cats, Bella. They're very good about eating bugs.

Um...wait a minute. I forgot. They're fascinated by lines of ants. They'd just sit and watch them all day.

In the fall, when ants start trying to come in the house, I've learned to put a line of cream of tartar along the doorways. Stops 'em cold. They won't cross it. (There's a scientific explanation for it, but I don't remember what it is. And I don't really care...I just know it works.)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:01 am
BBB
http://www.pestproducts.com/pharaohants.htm
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:20 am
Oh man!!!! That really sucks Bella! There's nothing worse than having bugs in your home!

I hope your apartment manager gets right on it because you shouldn't have to live with that.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:46 am
If this problem isn't cleared up in a few weeks, I am demanding to be released from the lease. It isn't right and I won't live with it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:49 am
Of course you won't. I know I wouldn't!
0 Replies