Judge Blocks Abortion of 13 yo- It Might Harm Her

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:00 pm
How on earth did a court get involved?

Here - if you are old enough to conceive, you are considered old enough to decide re abortion - and, if "parental" permission WAS required, the welfare department, with delegations from the relevant State Parliamentary Minister, can give it.

Of course having an abortion will have some negative consequences - as would having the baby, and either keeping it, or adopting it out.

C'est la vie.

There are no perfect choices once you have an unwanted pregnancy.

What is relevant is what the kid wants, with the guidance of trusted adults (which, please goddess, she has) - not some judge.

I sometimes wish we could turn the likes of Baldimo into a thirteen year old girl experiencing the same life and dilemmas. Might knock some compassion and sense into 'em.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:05 pm
WHY is there a thirteen year old having sex! How pitiful.

I don't feel sorry for her, in all honesty. While I usually am cheering you on with all my might, Pheonix, this time I am with Baldimo. If you're old enough to spread your legs, you're old enough to take responsibility.

Now, I think she should be able to have an abortion, yes. But I think the argument over the age of conscious actions/consent is a different subject.

If she willingly had sex, then she should be made to deal with the real-world consequences (be that abortions or child birth. Either way, I don't understand pampering her and saying "Oh honey, it's not your fault," when it was entirely). Sorry, I never have agreed with using age as a scapegoat from taking on responsibility, and I strongly agree with those who do.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:08 pm
You folks all know for a fact the girl has concentual sex...right?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:09 pm
By the way...where you folks ever 13???
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:09 pm
From the article:

Quote:
L.G. has been in foster care since she was taken from her parents for abuse or neglect, the newspaper reported. DCF attorney Jeffrey Gillen told the judge that the state has been unable to find adoptive parents for her.

The girl has run away from state-assigned homes at least five times and was gone for a month when she became pregnant more than 14 weeks ago, putting her in her second trimester.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:12 pm
Obviously, girls who spread their legs and the boys that impregnate them don't always take responsibility for their children just because we expect them to.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:20 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
By the way...where you folks ever 13???

Yes, three years ago.

And I can remember being severely depressed and lost. However, never did I use that as an excuse to go slut it up with the local boys. This new fad among youth of using their bodies as a way to get attention/cry for help is disgusting. The problem is, people pamper them and tell them it's okay because they act as if they know no better.

They do - believe me. I am speaking as someone who, for the last five or so years of my life, has been around 12, 13, 14 and 15 year olds who behave like this because of their home life (or lack-there-of). They know what they're doing, and that's the entire point of it - they know that if they act absurdly and irresponsibly, then someone will permit them to do so because of guilt or the assumption that the kid needs guidance. Yes, they DO need guidance, but my idea of guidance is not excusing sex at thirteen. That is the kind of lenience that allows kids to romp around like this in the first place.

As for the abortion - I am all for it. I prefer abortion in most teen-related pregnancies. However, I was not arguing against that so much as I was the fact that you all seem to be acting as if it weren't her fault that she had sex. I'm baffled by this? I've seen so much of it at my school and among my friends... I have an extremely tainted viewpoint about teenagers/pre-teens due to the mindsets I've seen. It's sad, it really makes me sad.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:29 pm
I'll wager that most of your slutty schoolmates weren't removed from their homes for abuse or neglect, Sanctuary.

Big difference.

Until we know, if ever, the circumstances of her pregnacy I reserve the right to assume that she might not have had any idea at all of what she was doing. She had run away, we can guess she was living on the street. A lot can happen on the street. You can be raped on the street. You can sell yourself for a hot meal on the street.

I think that it is same to assume she wasn't some teenage tart in a shredded $50 A&T baby-T hanging out in the junior high hallway.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:41 pm
boomerang wrote:

I think that it is same to assume she wasn't some teenage tart in a shredded $50 A&T baby-T hanging out in the junior high hallway.

How does that change her ability to rationalize? The harshness of one's life does not give them special privilages to act as if they have no bounds. If she was removed from her home by government officals, then I highly doubt they just sat her on the street corner afterwards and said "woop, see you when you're 18!" If she were living on the streets, something else must have happened to put her there.

And yes, there are a few of my friends have either been abused to the point that they leave home and live from place to place among friends and vehicals, or they were kicked out and forced to live on the streets. That's a lot different, if you ask me, than running away because you don't like your Foster homes. Not all people who face these things turn out to be irresponsible teens. And this only proves my point futher that it is an option whether to ruin your life or not. I find it very hard that there was not someone that would be willing to take in a thirteen year old if she were living on the streets and so hungry that she had to "sell her body." At thirteen, you are old enough to know what you're doing. If she ran away and that's how she got to the point of living on the streets, which legally should not have happened merely by her being removed from her family's abusive home-life, then I still feel no pity for her. My opinion remains solid.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:51 pm
With all due respect, Sanctuary, you need to do some research of foster care and what happens to kids once they enter that system.

One thing we do agree on, but I'm not sure we see it in the same way is "That's a lot different, if you ask me, than running away because you don't like your Foster homes. "
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:51 pm
Sanctuary- No, I don't think that it is ok for 13 year olds to have sex. I don't know the girl personally, so I cannot evaluate her motivations for having sex. I certainly would not automatically characterize her as a "slut".

And even if she is what you call a "slut", when you are older you will realize this. Young girls who have not had stable home lives with a loving, present father, often grab what they think is "love" by having sex. Is it rational? No. Are these girls mature enough to understand the ramifications of their actions? I don't believe so.

I am the first one to champion individual responsibility. I am definitely not a sob sister who excuses bad behavior on account of lousy upbringings. But I certainly can understand how a 13 year old kid can get herself pregnant.

0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:02 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Sanctuary- No, I don't think that it is ok for 13 year olds to have sex. I don't know the girl personally, so I cannot evaluate her motivations for having sex. I certainly would not automatically characterize her as a "slut".

And even if she is what you call a "slut", when you are older you will realize this. Young girls who have not had stable home lives with a loving, present father, often grab what they think is "love" by having sex.

Whoa! Let me back up:

-I do not consider her a slut. I mentioned me not wanting to "slut it up" with boys due to my home-life, but I wasn't implying that she was a slut.
-I understand the statistical reliance teen girls have when they have no father figure (my father is deceased) or a stable home life (I would not consider my past 'stable'). I do understand it. But that is why I am so quick to judge...because I went through that, the resentment and the need for love, and I was still able to see my actions and judge them. When I did something stupid like slit my wrists or cause grief my mother, I did it with the knowledge of what I was doing.

I often find myself being far too harsh on peers. I have been around so much bullshitting that I find innocence seldom and excuse for these sorts of things. I've known people who have been in similar situations and willingly had sex at that age in order to get attention, not out of oblivion. I am working out a lot of angst and resentment towards teenagers, due to the attitudes and actions I've witnessed. This makes me come down hard on situations like this where I know the girl was old enough to realize she was having sex. But, like you said, she may not have grasped it completely.

These things are so stressful to me. I wish parents could simply be parents and I wish children could simply be children.

I do apologize if my view is a bit uncompassionate or close-minded...I've just learned better than to give the benefit of the doubt to girls in situations like this from personal experience.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:07 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
No I have preteen sons and if they get a girl pregnant at the age of 13, I'm going to ground them to the basement till they are 18.

Baldimo- Nah, they would have to quit school, and go out to work at some entry level job to pay for the child that they helped create. Their lives would be put on "hold" for the next two decades or so.

Or, do you think that the pregnancy is the sole responsibility of the girl????? Confused

You don't have to quit school when that happens, you do have to work twice as hard but you don't have to quit school. Some schools these days have childcare in them as well as the ability to attend classes with the child. If they dropped out of school my sons or the girl I would have to beat them because that wouldn't do them or the child any good. Talk about not being able to provide for your family.

I also happen to think I am raising them to know better then to try sex before they are ready. I know they will make their own decisions but I will also make sure they know what happens when you do make that early decision. There will be no cop-outs and not leaving the girl to fend for herself.

I waited till I was 18 before I had sex and it didn't bother me or make me any less cool. Once I did make the decision I did go buck wild and did some things I should have thought twice about. I will say that I'm happy I waited because I wasn't mature enough at the time.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:12 pm
Quote:
I often find myself being far too harsh on peers. I have been around so much bullshitting that I find innocence seldom and excuse for these sorts of things

Sanctuary- It sounds like you have had a rough time in life. I am glad that you realize that you are probably being overly judgmental. As you grow older, and begin to understand more, I think that you may develop compassion and empathy for the people that you now revile. Some behavior is not to be excused, but it can be understood.

I have seen a lot of bravado demonstrated by young people. I call it "sophistication without maturity". These kinds of behaviors appear to be rampant in our culture. Kids "walk the walk", and "talk the talk", but IMO, they don't really know their asses from a hole in the wall.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:02 pm
If the girl is a ward of the state, isn't the state to blame for her having sex? Florida doesn't have very good parenting skills do they?

The girl can do other things to cause a miscarriage. My niece took up jump roping when she found out she was pregnant because she was too afraid to tell her parents.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:05 pm
I'm hoping Baldimo sticks around A2K long enough for his sons to become teens.

You can teach, preach, and lead by example 24/7. That doesn't make teens perfect or take away their free will. They will make mistakes. They will have lapses in good judgement. They will test you and call you out at some point.

It's easy to sit here on a forum and say what you might do if... But, wait til it happens. You might have a different view when it's your own.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
squinney wrote:
I'm hoping Baldimo sticks around A2K long enough for his sons to become teens.

You can teach, preach, and lead by example 24/7. That doesn't make teens perfect or take away their free will. They will make mistakes. They will have lapses in good judgement. They will test you and call you out at some point.

It's easy to sit here on a forum and say what you might do if... But, wait til it happens. You might have a different view when it's your own.

I allowed for free will in my children and I know they will do things that are contrary to what I have told them is right or wrong. I know this will happen but it doesn't mean I have to like it or even allow it to go on in my home. If my sons are anything like me then it should go fairly well, but if they are anything like their mother then we are in for some intresting times.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:12 pm
roverroad wrote:
If the girl is a ward of the state, isn't the state to blame for her having sex? Florida doesn't have very good parenting skills do they?

The girl can do other things to cause a miscarriage. My niece took up jump roping when she found out she was pregnant because she was too afraid to tell her parents.

Lol! The damage would have been done long before the state intervened!

Any idea how often sexual abuse is part of the vicissitudes these kids have experienced befoe they wre removed from their parents?
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:07 pm
Im glad someone brought this up. Ok here are the facts.

This 13 year old girl has been in and out of foster care her entire life also spending time in group homes. She was raped and became pregnant, the victim uknown because fl hides behind privacy acts and doesnt have to release any information making it seem like they are not even looking for this guy... Anyways so the girl has been looked after by the state of fl basically her whole life. So now the state of fl is taking her pregnancy into their own hands since they are essentialy responsible.

Here are my two arguments.
Can a state dictate whether or not this girl is mature enough to have a baby and raise it

Is this girl mature enough to make the decision to kill a potential human being?

Fl is the only state in which kids do not have to get parental consent or even tell their parents they are having an abortion. Is it time Fl makes reparations since their is a new case in fl every week it seems

Another example 12 year old girl raped in fl by afgani man the fbi released him thinking wed pick him up again but the man escaped the country and went back to afganistan and now we can't find him
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:28 pm
roverroad wrote:
...The girl can do other things to cause a miscarriage...

I find stories like this very sad. Children having children.

However this girl became pregnant is now besides the point. The state should grant this abortion in the best interest of the child. How would she be able to properly raise her child anyways? Would the state then take away her child? There would need to be much intervention.

As Rover says, she could cause the abortion in other ways. This is better?

This is yet another case made political. Only this time, they're playing with a 13 year old, and not an adult.
0 Replies