Judge Blocks Abortion of 13 yo- It Might Harm Her

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:31 am
This is the deal. A thirteen year old girl, in Florida (where else Rolling Eyes ) who is a ward of the state, becomes pregnant. She wants an abortion. A judge blocks the abortion, asking for testimony as to whether the abortion might harm the girl physically or emotionally.

Quote:
In the meantime, Alvarez, who has temporarily blocked the abortion, heard testimony on whether an abortion might physically or emotionally harm the girl in case the appeals court sends the issue back to him, The Palm Beach Post reported Friday.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/florida/MGB43TW248E.html

I think that my head is going to blow off. The judge thinks that an abortion may harm the girl. Having a baby at 13 won't?????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,504 • Replies: 47
No top replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:46 am
My Gosh! Makes one wonder if being in the hands of her original parents might not have been better. The state isn't caring for her, either. Someone needs to sue DCF for neglect and abuse.

Sounded to me like the judge was just covering his bases in case of appeal. The psych testamony seems to support the childs decision, and the judge refused the older records of mental health problems. The judge is likely anticipating a fight with the state.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:51 am
Poor girl.
& poor (as yet unborn) baby.
Just tragic.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:53 am
squinney- Yeah, and in the meantime, while the judge is pondering the finer points of the law, the girl is probably on tenterhooks, worrying about what is going to happen. THAT will be a lot more harmful to the girl than having the abortion, and going on with her life.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:47 am
Phoenix
Is there something in the water down there (Fla).....?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:50 am
Pheonix - I agree. Was just pointing out that it sounds like the judge might be doing what he has to do. Thoug, if already second trimester, time is short.

Rodeman - Might be the water, but I think the hurricanes last year joggled a few brains in the limp penis part of the country. : )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:48 am
Didn't this come up as a theoretical somewhere recently? I think Florida was even mentioned.

Here we go -- not quite, but close.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1288096#1288096

Ugh, how infuriating. And of course if the fight is dragged on long enough, the decision is made.

Horrible!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:52 am
Florida...where a Doctor can't put his hands on a girls vagina, but a Judge can poke his nose in it.

You guys do us a favor and secede will ya?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 03:52 pm
I guess someone is about to learn a lesson in personal responsibity. You open those legs and something is going to eventually come of of them! To bad she is so young but if it didn't happen now, it was going to happen later.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:01 pm
Baldimo wrote:
I guess someone is about to learn a lesson in personal responsibity. You open those legs and something is going to eventually come of of them! To bad she is so young but if it didn't happen now, it was going to happen later.

Com'on- at THIRTEEN! If the girl were 16-17 I might agree with you, but for pity's sake, she's a baby herself. Abortion is legal in the state of Florida, but the good, righteous people are attempting to throw roadblocks whichever way that they can.

By the way Baldimo, do you have a teenage daughter? I would suspect that if you did, you would have a lot more compassion for this kid, and the child that she may be obliged to bear, on account of the idiocy of some people in power.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:06 pm
rodeman wrote:
Phoenix
Is there something in the water down there (Fla).....?

And I always thought that it was Claifornia where the coconuts grew. Sorry Rodeman, I think that my state is going to overtake your state's status as the state with the most cuckoos and nutjobs! Laughing
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:22 pm
Baldimo wrote:

That's the most self-righteous crap I've ever heard. I don't mean to attack you personally, Baldimo, but I've heard that argument so many times before it sickens me. In fact you may be kidding, and I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt.

If you aren't kidding, then here's my answer.
This girl most likely has not had the same chances at life as most people. Obviously she hasn't had much guidance, if she's already having sex. How the heck can we expect her to be as responsible as an adult at such an age? Why burder her with a pregancy that cannot turn out well? She's 13 for crying out loud! This is one case where abortion is justified.

This is yet another reason why we should teach kids about contraception early. If the kid had used it, maybe she wouldn't be in this mess.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:28 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
By the way Baldimo, do you have a teenage daughter? I would suspect that if you did, you would have a lot more compassion for this kid, and the child that she may be obliged to bear, on account of the idiocy of some people in power.[/color][/b]

I doubt it, Phoenix.

I just doubt it.

In any case...this is a tragedy.

But I am sure the state of Florida will manage to turn it into an even greater tragedy.

I also want to reiterate something I mentioned in another thread earlier today:

It will take a lot of doing to get over the incredible damage this administration...and this conservative horseshyt we are going through right now...

...but I am confident that eventually we will.

I also find myself hoping there is a Hell...and that this scurvey lot spends eternity frying in it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:33 pm
Quote:
Com'on- at THIRTEEN! If the girl were 16-17 I might agree with you, but for pity's sake, she's a baby herself.

I said I fell badly for her.

Quote:
Abortion is legal in the state of Florida, but the good, righteous people are attempting to throw roadblocks whichever way that they can.

Could the judge be going off of the account that the abortion would only be used as a birth control method and can't see the point of the state paying for an unnecessary procedure? Having a baby at 13 isn't going to kill her, it will make life a little bit more difficult but it won't kill her.

Quote:
By the way Baldimo, do you have a teenage daughter?

No I have preteen sons and if they get a girl pregnant at the age of 13, I'm going to ground them to the basement till they are 18. Very Happy

Quote:
I would suspect that if you did, you would have a lot more compassion for this kid, and the child that she may be obliged to bear, on account of the idiocy of some people in power.

The idiocy isn't the people in power; it is the 13-year-old girl who got herself knocked up in the first place. As stated she is going to learn an important lesson in personal responsibility. She is obliged to have a child because she obliged herself to have sex, it is one of those pesky consequences of having sex, but Hollywood and MTV don't always choose to tell people that, they make sex look fun and great but don't tell you the flip side of sex.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:37 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Quote:
Com'on- at THIRTEEN! If the girl were 16-17 I might agree with you, but for pity's sake, she's a baby herself.

Quote:
Abortion is legal in the state of Florida, but the good, righteous people are attempting to throw roadblocks whichever way that they can.

Could the judge be going off of the account that the abortion would only be used as a birth control method and can't see the point of the state paying for an unnecessary procedure? Having a baby at 13 isn't going to kill her, it will make life a little bit more difficult but it won't kill her.

Quote:
By the way Baldimo, do you have a teenage daughter?

No I have preteen sons and if they get a girl pregnant at the age of 13, I'm going to ground them to the basement till they are 18. Very Happy

Quote:
I would suspect that if you did, you would have a lot more compassion for this kid, and the child that she may be obliged to bear, on account of the idiocy of some people in power.

The idiocy isn't the people in power; it is the 13-year-old girl who got herself knocked up in the first place. As stated she is going to learn an important lesson in personal responsibility. She is obliged to have a child because she obliged herself to have sex, it is one of those pesky consequences of having sex, but Hollywood and MTV don't always choose to tell people that, they make sex look fun and great but don't tell you the flip side of sex.

IF THERE IS A GOD...

...please save me from people like Baldino.

And if it wouldn't put you to too much trouble...

...please save the rest of humanity from them also.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:40 pm
Baldimo wrote:

Freudian slip???

BTW, Baldimo, the cost of an abortion is NOTHING compared to what the state will pay to support this child and her baby for years to come. Not that it's a state money issue to me. Just pointing out that's a weak argument.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:42 pm
I don't think child-bearing should be a punishment for having sex. At 13 it is possible that the girl could die, taking the baby with her. Why take the chance?

This situation cannot turn out well no matter what happens.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:04 pm
squinney:

Quote:
Freudian slip???

No fat fingers syndrom.

Quote:
BTW, Baldimo, the cost of an abortion is NOTHING compared to what the state will pay to support this child and her baby for years to come.

I do agree with you, but I don't support abortion as a way to save money or for birth control.

Quote:
Not that it's a state money issue to me. Just pointing out that's a weak argument.

It would be an unnecessary expense for the state seeing as how childbirth is normal to people. Yes even at 13 it is natural for the human body, tragic but normal.

fredjones:

Quote:
I don't think child-bearing should be a punishment for having sex.

Your right is isn't a punishment, but it is a consequence of sex and one I'm sure she won't forget anytime soon. Who knows may be she will get that abortion and never learn a thing except that the state will take care of her every time she gets into trouble.

Quote:
At 13 it is possible that the girl could die, taking the baby with her. Why take the chance?

I'm would bet that the chances are pretty low. Women since the age of time have been having babies and in some cultures at very young ages and they didn't have that many issues. I say this because humanity is still here and the standards have changed in the US in the last 100 years. Before that I'm sure people women got married very young and had children at young ages.

Quote:
This situation cannot turn out well no matter what happens.

Would you be a fortuneteller? Can you tell me who is going to win the World Series? Can you tell me when the next meteor is going to hit the planet? We don't know but you are willing to end a life on a hunch when we don't know what will happen.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:19 pm
Actually, I can answer that last one for fred.

The world will end in 2012 due to a meteor accordian to anciant Mayan calendars and Bible code.

(Not a fortuneteller or anything. I just have a gift for Googling. See http://exodus2006.com/2012.htm)

So, do we bring this child of a child into the world only to have her killed by giant falling rocks at the age of 7?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:48 pm
Quote:
No I have preteen sons and if they get a girl pregnant at the age of 13, I'm going to ground them to the basement till they are 18.

Baldimo- Nah, they would have to quit school, and go out to work at some entry level job to pay for the child that they helped create. Their lives would be put on "hold" for the next two decades or so.

Or, do you think that the pregnancy is the sole responsibility of the girl????? Confused
0 Replies