N. Korea has nuclear missile capability to hit US territory

coachryan

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 11:45 am
Lash wrote:
What is so brilliant regarding the North Koreans is how incredibly quickly they developed their nuclear capability!

I mean, they were picking flowers until George Bush was installed in office, and bingo-bango-presto: instant nukes!

Not.

--------
Thank you, Bill Clinton - Scan - North Koreans developed nuclear weapons due to Bill Clinton's lenient arms control policies - Brief Article
American Enterprise, Dec, 2002

"North Korea cannot be allowed to develop a nuclear bomb. We have to be very firm about it" President Clinton declared on "Meet the Press" on November 7, 1993. Now we learn the North Koreans went ahead anyway. Is anyone really surprised that particular Commander in Chief didn't dissuade them?

Charles Krauthammer sure isn't. Back in 1993 he bemoaned, in his syndicated column, that Clinton's entire foreign policy was built on the principle of "talk loudly and carry a big carrot." This soon "degenerated into nothing but carrots: offers of diplomatic recognition, trade, aid, and most important of all, cancellation of U.S.-South Korean joint military exercises." In exchange, the North Koreans offered Clinton "inspections of the Yongbyon nuclear complex by the International Atomic Energy Agency."

But "inspections of self-declared sites are a joke" Krauthammer warned. "We know from our experience with Iraq that a country bent on developing the bomb can comply fully with regular IAEA inspections and build a massive nuclear program undetected." The place to sign a goodies-for-a-baddie deal like the one Clinton offered North Korea, Krauthammer suggested in early 1994, "is on the deck of the battleship Missouri" because "it is unconditional surrender."

Clinton's State Department characterized the 1993 collapse to the Koreans as "very good news." Clinton himself bragged of his efforts "to reach out and reason with North Korea." But "reaching out to the unreachable and reasoning with the unreasonable," Krauthammer warned at the time, "is futile."

We now know who was right. Unfortunately it's too late, and Americans must face another grave threat to their lives. Thanks to the weakness of Bill Clinton.

Oh yeah, it's Clintons fault why didn't I think of that! It must be Clintons fault, everything else is. The Economy, 9/11, Global warming... errr wait, that doesn't exist... but if it did it would probably be his fault.

Sorry that turd don't float. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:05 pm
The Bush administration has spent the last FOUR years pursuing a confused, provocative, and counterproductive policy which played a significant role in fomenting this crisis and, possibly, complicating a potential solution.

To Stop North Korea's Nuclear Program, U.S. Must Make Genuine Commitment to Talks, Repair U.S.-South Korea Alliance, Get China to Take Greater Role, Concludes Council Task Force on North Korea

http://www.cfr.org/publication.php?id=5972

http://www.nytimes.com/cfr/international/mustreads031003.html?oref=login&pagewanted=print&position=top

NORTH KOREA

Background on the Crisis

http://www.cfr.org/background/background_northkorea_bg.php

When did the current crisis begin?

http://www.hillnews.com/marshall/021203.aspx

It is clear that the Bushevik hawks were poisoned by their personal attacks on Bill Clinton, to the point where they automatically rejected out of hand and without serious review his foreign policy. North Korea is just one such example.

Bush's penchant for macho knee-jerk hardlining caused a sudden change in North Korea policy, namely the unexpected end of American support for SK's sunshine policy and the scrapping of the Clinton-era anti-proliferation "agreed framework".

Remember: Bush does not have policies; he governs based on gut reactions. When the South Korean prime minister came to visit, his gut reaction was to scrap the candy-ass diplomacy stuff and go tough on Kim. I imagine in Bush's mind the idea of giving oil and food to Kim, a horrible man, seemed an a priori absurdity. To paraphrase Bush, why should the U.S. reward bad behavior?

Life would be wonderful if it were that easy. If your young child is threatening to throw a tantrum in the mall if he doesn't get what he wants, a hard line is a great policy. It is very likely that in some situations the U.S. needs to draw a hard line, but it should never do so in an ad hoc fashion. Bush drew that line without thinking.

Unfortunately, Kim Jong-Il is not a child threatening to throw a tantrum; he resembles a paranoid, insecure man with a gun. When Bush broke off relations with North Korea (effectively), he decided to take off the leash (or noose) of NK's dependence on U.S. food and oil and; he followed by saber rattling and forcing NK into a corner.

Bush could be bested by a chinese finger trap. On first glance, the most obvious way to get fingers from a sticky trap is to pull outward as hard as possible -- but that will only make the trap grip tighter. Bush didn't want to appease the trap, hoping directness and toughness would end the problem; ironically, now to keep Kim contained he will have to give up far more than just food or oil.

Unfortunately, Bush will never be held to account for his shoddiness; we will ultimately foot the bill.

The bottom line is that when Bush took office the North Koreans had at best 1-2 nukes and could not hit the US with them. Now they have an estimated dozen and CAN hit the US with them.

The greatest threat to the country when Bush took office was North Korea, it still is and it has gotten worse because of Bush's policies on North Korea.

George Bush is the most incompetent president this country has had in generations, even Waren Harding looks good in comparision.

And oh, yeah, John Bolton is neck deep in this mess.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:11 pm
Excellent post Kuv but I must strongly although respectfully disagree with one small point.

I believe that when Bush took office the greatest threat to this country was Bush and still is.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:22 pm
What's the point really in worrying about it? If Korea, or China, or India, or Russia let's fly a nuke at us then we are going to let fly at them and then it's party time and by days end it's see you in Hell for everyone.

We opened this pandoras box and now there's no point worrying about it. What's done is done.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:39 pm
...or, there are the facts.

The Carter Administration tried to discourage plutonium use for nonproliferation reasons. The Reagan Administration changed the policy for countries with advanced nuclear power programs that were not deemed proliferation risks (Europe and Japan), but opposed it for others (South Korea, Argentina, Brazil, India, and Pakistan). The Bush Administration followed the same policy, but took steps to strengthen U.S. nonproliferation policy in the wake of the Gulf war and the breakup of the Soviet Union. The Clinton Administration has not revived the anti-plutonium policy of the Carter Administration, but opposes "excess stockpiling" of separated plutonium and supports a ban on production of plutonium and HEU for explosives.

North Korea's Noncompliance with its NPT and IAEA Obligations
North Korea joined the NPT in 1985, but delayed inspections until 1992. In February 1993, North Korea denied access by IAEA inspectors to two sites which IAEA (and U.S. intelligence ) believed held evidence of clandestine nuclear work and refused to comply with a request for access from the IAEA's Director General, Hans Blix. On March 12, 1993, North Korea notified the United Nations Security Council that it was withdrawing from the NPT, which permits withdrawal after 3 months notice. It subsequently suspended its withdrawal, but claimed to have "unique status" under the NPT, and continued to block inspections. Former CIA Director James Woolsey and Secretary of Defense William Perry warned that North Korea probably had enough plutonium for two bombs and that the fuel unloaded from the 25 MW(th) reactor could contain enough plutonium for several more bombs (see CRS Issue Brief 91141).

In October 1994, the United States signed an agreement with North Korea to exchange its existing nuclear reactors and reprocessing equipment for modern light water reactor technology that is somewhat less suited to making bombs. North Korea is also receiving shipments of heavy oil to compensate for energy that might have been generated from the reactor it agreed to shut down. The deal requires North Korea to eventually resolve outstanding safeguards violations, including its undeclared plutonium. Many details of the deal are still being negotiated.

(Written in 1996)

South Korea would actually build the reactors and pay for about 60% of the deal. Japan and others would apparently pay for the rest. The United States is paying for the oil shipments and has agreed to pay for and provide safe storage of existing spent nuclear fuel rods. An international consortium called the Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization (KEDO) was established in March 1995 to coordinate the reactor construction project. Negotiations on the construction of the reactors have periodically broken down due to North Korean objections to the central role of South Korea in the project.

A key issue for Congress is the implementation of the agreement and the extent of the U.S. contribution. Some Members oppose using U.S. funds, but most apparently are not prepared to block implementation of the agreement. (See CRS Issue Brief 91141 and CRS Report 95-853, The U.S.-North Korea Agreed Framework to End North Korea's Nuclear Weapons Program.)

---------------

The Real Deal.

Clinton: Talk big and carry a big carrot.

<nods>
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:46 pm
Had to add the snide remark about Clinton's pecker huh?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:47 pm
kuvasz hits the jackpot again.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:50 pm
No, Bear! The pecker is bent. Or so says the lovely Monica...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:54 pm
hmm bent yes....better for getting to those hard to reach places...although given her track record I can't imagine that Monica has any of those.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:28 pm
Lash wrote:
...or, there are the facts.

The Carter Administration tried to discourage plutonium use for nonproliferation reasons. The Reagan Administration changed the policy for countries with advanced nuclear power programs that were not deemed proliferation risks (Europe and Japan), but opposed it for others (South Korea, Argentina, Brazil, India, and Pakistan). The Bush Administration followed the same policy, but took steps to strengthen U.S. nonproliferation policy in the wake of the Gulf war and the breakup of the Soviet Union. The Clinton Administration has not revived the anti-plutonium policy of the Carter Administration, but opposes "excess stockpiling" of separated plutonium and supports a ban on production of plutonium and HEU for explosives.

North Korea's Noncompliance with its NPT and IAEA Obligations
North Korea joined the NPT in 1985, but delayed inspections until 1992. In February 1993, North Korea denied access by IAEA inspectors to two sites which IAEA (and U.S. intelligence ) believed held evidence of clandestine nuclear work and refused to comply with a request for access from the IAEA's Director General, Hans Blix. On March 12, 1993, North Korea notified the United Nations Security Council that it was withdrawing from the NPT, which permits withdrawal after 3 months notice. It subsequently suspended its withdrawal, but claimed to have "unique status" under the NPT, and continued to block inspections. Former CIA Director James Woolsey and Secretary of Defense William Perry warned that North Korea probably had enough plutonium for two bombs and that the fuel unloaded from the 25 MW(th) reactor could contain enough plutonium for several more bombs (see CRS Issue Brief 91141).

In October 1994, the United States signed an agreement with North Korea to exchange its existing nuclear reactors and reprocessing equipment for modern light water reactor technology that is somewhat less suited to making bombs. North Korea is also receiving shipments of heavy oil to compensate for energy that might have been generated from the reactor it agreed to shut down. The deal requires North Korea to eventually resolve outstanding safeguards violations, including its undeclared plutonium. Many details of the deal are still being negotiated.

(Written in 1996)

South Korea would actually build the reactors and pay for about 60% of the deal. Japan and others would apparently pay for the rest. The United States is paying for the oil shipments and has agreed to pay for and provide safe storage of existing spent nuclear fuel rods. An international consortium called the Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization (KEDO) was established in March 1995 to coordinate the reactor construction project. Negotiations on the construction of the reactors have periodically broken down due to North Korean objections to the central role of South Korea in the project.

A key issue for Congress is the implementation of the agreement and the extent of the U.S. contribution. Some Members oppose using U.S. funds, but most apparently are not prepared to block implementation of the agreement. (See CRS Issue Brief 91141 and CRS Report 95-853, The U.S.-North Korea Agreed Framework to End North Korea's Nuclear Weapons Program.)

---------------

The Real Deal.

Clinton: Talk big and carry a big carrot.

<nods>

Just what the hell are you talking about "...or just the facts?"

You posted little that deals with the issue at hand and are dancing around like a triumphant, but clueless Forrest Gump.

I read the link you supplied but I am damned sure you failed to read the ones I posted. If you had, you would not have tried to post such drivel as a response to what I linked to illustrate both as policy and process in the Bush administration.

You really ought to be ashamed of yourself for so superficial a response.

This time, I'll make it easier for you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/25/international/asia/25CND-NUKE.html?ex=1403582400&en=08dc76bbe2b9bc30&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND

http://www.nytimes.com/cfr/international/mustreads031003.html?oref=login&pagewanted=print&position=top

Q&A: Should U.S. Launch Direct Talks with N. Korea?

From the Council on Foreign Relations, March 10, 2003
Donald Gregg, U.S. ambassador to South Korea in the first Bush administration, says the situation with North Korea is "quite dangerous" and that immediate direct talks between Washington and Pyongyang are necessary to stem North Korea's development of nuclear weapons.
The president of the Korea Society, Gregg says he has repeatedly advised the White House to begin "direct talks" with North Korea but has been rebuffed because Washington does not want to appear to cave in to nuclear blackmail. Gregg says that virtually every expert on North Korea agrees that only direct talks can resolve the crisis.

He was interviewed by Bernard Gwertzman, consulting editor for cfr.org, on March 7, 2003.

How would you describe the current crisis with North Korea?

The problem hinges on a fundamental misreading of the Korean character. I think that the president has always had real animosity toward Kim Jong Il, the North Korean leader. He's made that quite evident. I think the problem is that Koreans are very different from Americans in terms of the way their psychology works. If you push Koreans into a corner and don't talk to them, they'll behave worse and worse. They will go right to the brink, and I think they would go down in flames if they were given no alternative.

You're talking about North Korea's demand that the United States hold direct talks with them.

That's right. When I went to North Korea last April, I found an accumulation of questions on the North Koreans' part. Why is George Bush so different from his father? Why does George Bush hate Bill Clinton? Why does George Bush use such rhetoric against us? Why don't you understand us better? Why do you threaten us with your nuclear weapons? As I sought to deal with those questions--I told them that my only ground rule was I wouldn't criticize my president, any more than they would criticize Kim--I could see it was just tremendously cathartic for them to ask these questions and have some kind of dialogue.

Then I was invited back last November and a general, who had been just bristling at the first meetings, greeted me as an old friend. He said, why haven't you sent me a picture of our first meeting? He said you know we are making great progress. We are cutting down 50-year old trees in the Demilitarized Zone, and I have multi-channel communications with my South Korean counterparts. We are improving relations with the Russians who want to build a gas pipeline. What's the matter with you Americans? That's the line. So I just feel we need to talk to the North Koreans. And the Koreans, I think, understand us better than we understand them.

I think the situation is quite dangerous. The president feels that Kim Jong Il is evil. There is a demonization process that goes on. Mike Wallace did a horrible job on Kim Jong Il on "60 Minutes." Newsweek had a miserable column. And Kim really is easy to demonize. As I told the Senate when I testified on February 4, I almost feel like a Quisling, saying we ought to talk to this guy. But I think that talking to him is the only way to avoid a very dangerous situation.

The Bush administration's position is that it will talk only within a multilateral context and only if North Korea agrees to give up its nuclear weapons program. What would happen if the United States simply announced it was sending an emissary to meet with the North Koreans at location "X" and all subjects were on the table?

It would depend who it was, what he brought with him, and how the Koreans judged his stature. They are very rank-conscious.

How high would it have to be?

Very high. I was dealing with a vice minister of foreign affairs. He said to me, you know, you and I get along very well, but you and I can't solve these problems. It's got to be somebody at a much higher level. That was in April. When I returned to Washington, I said the North Koreans are afraid of us, they don't trust us, they are insulted by our rhetoric. They are mystified why we didn't pick up where Clinton left off. They have no stake in the relationship with the United States. I said if the president were to send a high-ranking emissary with a letter, he could re-engage the North Koreans immediately.

Do you take the North Koreans at their word that they have no plans for nuclear weapons, and they would allow U.S. inspections if the United States would agree to a nonaggression treaty?

That certainly needs to be tested. They lived up to a number of the stipulations of [the 1994 aid-for-nonproliferation pact known as] the Agreed Framework. That immediately raises the issue: why did they start the highly enriched uranium program [to make weapons-grade material], based on [a deal] with the Pakistanis? My answer is that they had quite a long relationship with Pakistanis, selling them missiles to which the Pakistanis were affixing their own infernal machines. I am sure they heard from the Pakistanis how much more secure they felt having acquired a nuclear counterbalance to that of India. I think that was a tremendously seductive song to the North Koreans, particularly when they had seen a series of hostile statements out of the United States, including the Pentagon report making them one of the seven countries eligible for a preemptive strike, and various other things said by the president and [Defense Secretary Donald] Rumsfeld and other hawks.

Are the North Koreans fairly convinced that if the United States defeats Iraq, they are next?

Yes. I talked to Kofi Annan's special envoy, Maurice Strong, who had been in Pyongyang in January, who came out with exactly the same feeling.

What is your feeling? Are they next?

A new factor has entered into the scene, and that's the new South Korean president, Roh Moo Hyun. I was at his inauguration at the end of February and was very impressed by him. He's comfortable in his own skin.

He's very friendly, very direct, not very experienced, but very sharp. He is, however, determined to prevent military action by the United States against North Korea. And I know most experienced United States military men would not support armed action against North Korea if it was opposed by the South.

This may make for a very difficult meeting between Roh Moo Hyun and George W. Bush. I'm not sure that that meeting is going to take place. I think sooner or later, some face-saving device has to be worked out where we can start talking with the North Koreans.

When Don Oberdorfer [a Korea expert, who accompanied Gregg on his trip to North Korea in November] and I returned from North Korea with a concrete offer to start talks at a high level, we were told by the White House then, that no, that would not happen because that would be rewarding bad behavior. I wrote a memo the next day saying we were caught between Scylla and Charybdis, in our desire not to reward bad behavior and their desire not to be humiliated for launching the enriched uranium program.

Why don't we do two things at once? We say we will move toward a non-aggression treaty and they say, all right, we'll take our first step back from our nuclear programs. I said don't stop the oil shipments. But the White House did not take my advice. The oil was stopped and the cascade of events followed.

The president seems convinced that to meet with them directly would be a form of nuclear blackmail?

That is what [presidential spokesman] Ari Fleischer says, and that is the feeling. You have to admit that the North Koreans have a bad record of sort of piling on. You start with a non-aggression treaty for a nuclear pullback and then there might be the question of compensation and various other add-ons. That is certainly a legitimate source of concern. But on the subject of a nonaggression treaty, there was some new ground broken I think at the Senate hearing where Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage testified on February 4. I was there. Rich said to the committee, you know the North Koreans say they want a nonaggression treaty. But we're not talking about that because we don't think there is a chance of getting that ratified. And Joe Biden [the Delaware senator who is the committee's ranking Democrat] said he'd bet $1 million the Senate would ratify a non-aggression treaty, if President Bush proposed one. I think that is a very significant statement.

Was it at that hearing that Armitage also said we would be willing to talk to the North, and was later rebuked by the White House?

Yes. He got pulled back in line.

In an interview, former Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Winston Lord said the United States should deal with North Korea only in a multilateral framework. He was very concerned about the new South Korean government. He repeated the story about Mr. Roh's emissary being at a dinner in Washington recently and saying South Korea would rather have a North Korea armed with nuclear weapons than a North Korea in disarray.

On the latter point, the South Koreans are embarrassed by the statement and are pulling back from it. I had a meeting with Mr. Roh at Blue House [the South Korean presidential residence] with several other people, and he said that he's made some mistakes and that his people were going to have to learn to be much more careful about what they say.

Maurice Strong, the United Nations representative, is trying to set up a multilateral forum under the aegis of the Security Council, which could be a foundation for talks. I'm all for that if that can happen. I'm for anything to get us talking on a direct face-to-face basis. If it doesn't happen, we have to figure out some way we can do that ourselves. Certainly, if a multilateral basis can be found, let's do it that way.

Are you concerned about these latest incidents, the missile testing, the harassment of the reconnaissance plane?

They are quite predictable. I heard [Secretary of State] Colin Powell's press conference in Seoul [in which he said the missile test was insignificant]. He handled it very well. He downplayed it. But there are only so many of those things they can do without getting into the really significant stuff, which would be to start reprocessing [the North's stockpile of] plutonium rods.

As far as we know, they have not started that yet?

That's right.

We don't know where the rods are?

Once they've moved them, we don't.

The president is obviously preoccupied with Iraq. From what he seems to say, I get the impression he hopes North Korea will just go away, but it won't go away. If you were going to give him advice now, what would you say?

I would advise him to find some way of starting direct talks. The last thing I sent to the White House was on December 31, and I said: "It is the unanimous opinion of every Russian, Chinese, South Korean, and American expert I have talked to that the only way to stop North Korea from becoming a nuclear power is direct talks with the United States."
There was an appalling story in the press recently saying that the United States is going around Capitol Hill saying there is nothing we can do about it, so we are preparing to deal with North Korea as a nuclear power. I think that the people in the White House are saying, once they really begin to reprocess, the Chinese will be galvanized into taking more action. The Chinese, who supply North Korea with most of its oil and most of its food, could play real hardball by cutting back on that, causing people to starve. I don't think the Chinese want to do that.

Everyone wants us to step up to the plate and start the talks because they know that it is we who threaten North Korea. North Korea knows that. And we're looking for cover. I think partially it is a face problem because of the things the administration has said about North Korea and there would be all kinds of questions asked, "Well, Mr. President after all the things you have called Kim Jong Il why is it you are now talking to him?"

Why does North Korea want direct talks instead of meeting in a forum?

Because I think they feel that only through direct talks can they get to the nub of the problem, which they believe is our intention to come after them after we are finished with Iraq.

As I said, the Busheviks were just dicking around with North Korea, thinking that they were just going to fold with Bush's silly bluster and yet anyone with experience with that godawful regime was telling them it would not work.

It is just one more example of Bush's bone-head and clueless faith-based reality, which could get us all killed.

BTW: If you are really interested in this topic, the links to the Council on Foreign Relations are the places to start on that site.

http://www.cfr.org/publication.php?id=5972
http://www.cfr.org/background/background_northkorea_bg.php
http://www.cfr.org/publication.php?id=5366
http://www.cfr.org/publication.php?id=5891
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:54 pm
Kuvasc--

I don't know what makes you think only your opinion, and the supporting opinions of other clueless liberals somehow negate or override reality-based opinions.

The opinions you brought had two things in common.

They were liberal, and appeasing of a psychotic little North Korean.

Clinton's idea--and I guess yours and most other liberals is to placate that little tyrant.

I can't believe all the psychobabble in that text you pasted. It was 'cathartic' for Kim Jong Il to be able to ask questions about why Bush doesn't like Clinton?

No. I have no respect whatsoever for that load of crap. The liberal mindset pacifies people like Kim Jong Il--and if that would work indefinitely--I'd say great---Go for it!

But it doesn't work for long. We would be training them to act up and threaten, and soon enough they get what they want.

<sigh>

No liberal knows what to do with foreign policy.

The CFR are liberal babysitters.

Meanwhile, Syria has pulled out of Lebanon; Eqypt, Iran, and Saudi have had historic elections.

Don't trouble yourself with foreign relations. The Republicans are taking care of everything. And very well.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:58 pm
Lash Lash why hasn't that tough hombre Bush put his foot down with Korea?

Basically you're calling the liberals pussies...but Bush...your hero...what has he done but seek the "diplomatic" read: pussy solution. If the liberals are pussies so is your boy. He's done nothing but alienate NK and let them gain strength.

He will not attack them. Bullies don't attack others if they think they might get hurt.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:05 pm
It would be imprudent to go straight to the military option.

Saddam got what? 14 years, a weekend war, and really good warnings + how many Resolutions from that titan of terror, the UN?

Let's let Japan and his neighbors press a bit...maybe with some trade restrictions, or even an embargo or something before we hurt innocent North Koreans?

I think we may have slashed this down to a form lower than either of us want to continue.

The Democrats are no more afraid of war than we are. (Although they don't know how to conduct one.) What they are afraid of is the reputation for creating hostilities. They'd let us get attacked before making a politically unpopular move.

That's my opinion anyway.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:39 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:

I guess if ole Georgie hadn't been so concerned about those non existent WMD in Iraq he might have thought about N Korea back when it was possible to deal with them.

And he would have been in exactly the same situation he was in with Iraq: it is not known for sure whether they have nukes, but at least now it is possible to deal with them.

You are criticizing him for not doing in North Korea what you are critcizing him for doing in Iraq.

Not at all. I never said he needed to attack N Korea. I said he needed to DEAL WITH THEM. That would include negotiating or getting inspectors into the country. Both of which are solutions that could well have prevented N Korea from taking all its plutonium out of storage and refining enough to make 6 nukes.

By the way. In 1991 North Korea had enough plutonium for 2 nukes according to CIA reports at the time. Clinton's solution kept the rest from being refined.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:42 pm
He was paying blackmail, and they did continue their program--or they couldn't have developed what they have now. Not during Bush's term alone.

Let's be realistic.

Clinton's policy was enough to keep something from happening on his watch which was all he cared about. At some point, someone has to clean up the mess, and that's what Bush is doing.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:46 pm
Lash wrote:
Kuvasc--

I don't know what makes you think only your opinion, and the supporting opinions of other clueless liberals somehow negate or override reality-based opinions.

The opinions you brought had two things in common.

They were liberal, and appeasing of a psychotic little North Korean.

Clinton's idea--and I guess yours and most other liberals is to placate that little tyrant.

I can't believe all the psychobabble in that text you pasted. It was 'cathartic' for Kim Jong Il to be able to ask questions about why Bush doesn't like Clinton?

No. I have no respect whatsoever for that load of crap. The liberal mindset pacifies people like Kim Jong Il--and if that would work indefinitely--I'd say great---Go for it!

But it doesn't work for long. We would be training them to act up and threaten, and soon enough they get what they want.

<sigh>

No liberal knows what to do with foreign policy.

The CFR are liberal babysitters.

Meanwhile, Syria has pulled out of Lebanon; Eqypt, Iran, and Saudi have had historic elections.

Don't trouble yourself with foreign relations. The Republicans are taking care of everything. And very well.

are you clueless or what?

the simplicity of your tirade, the complete inability to accept facts is breathtaking.

Lets start with debunking your remarks about the "liberals" I quoted.

The emboldened text of my last post were the answers given by a Republican, appointed as the ambassador to South Korea by George Herbert Walker Bush.

So, you have floated to a place on the River of Denial that now accuses Bush's own father of placing liberals and quislings in positions of high authority.

Can one really be that clueless about such matters as you are?

As to Syria and Lebanon, perhaps you were at the hair dresser over the past several months, but the ex-president of Lebanon was assassinated and the result of the revulsion of it from the Lebanese people are what forced the Syrians to leave Lebanon. You are imbuing magical powers onto Bush in this situation.

You also seem to ignore that the death of Arafat has given both sides on the Israeli / Palestinian conflict some maneuverability, unless of course Bush was using a Jedi mind trick and killed Arafat.

Egypt? good grief, know you nothing about Egypt? Mubarak is not relinquishing control and perhaps he had better not, since there is a rising anti-American attitude in Egypt.

Saudi Arabia? They were supposed to have elections in 1974 to appoint local leaders who were to advise the Saudi royal council. Women still don't have equal rights and won't as long as the house of Saud runs that country.

but Iran? Iran? For Christ's sake, your remark about Iran is insane. Their move to freer elections first started before Bush was even in the White House. In fact, since Bush took over and has threatened the Iranians as member of the Axis of Evil and parked 200,000 American soldiers on their eastern and western borders, they have actually begun to reduce the freedoms they have in response to what they consider is a threat of military invasion by the US.

So, how in the world is that a positive product of Bushevik policies?

They aren't. Nothing you have pointed to as true is true.

POST HOC, ERGO PROPTER HOC

You are cobbling together a cause and affect that is not rational. The elections you mentioned are not a result of big bad Bush swinging his mighty dick.

I will grant you this. You seem utter incapable of anything more than a superficial understanding of the issues here, and have repeatedly refused to face facts that run counter to cherished, yet grossly misinformed positions.

As to the Council on Foreign Relations being Liberals? What the hell are you smoking? Whenever someone cites anything that rejects your false assumptions you cry "Liberals!" its stupid to do so and the more you do the stupider you look.

While you may state without equivocation that "No liberal knows what to do with foreign policy." It clear we knew more than the Busheviks about whether or not Iraq had WMDs.

You idiots supported a war whose primary cause was false and you still won't admit it..
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:47 pm
Lash wrote:
What is so brilliant regarding the North Koreans is how incredibly quickly they developed their nuclear capability!

I mean, they were picking flowers until George Bush was installed in office, and bingo-bango-presto: instant nukes!

Not.

--------
Thank you, Bill Clinton - Scan - North Koreans developed nuclear weapons due to Bill Clinton's lenient arms control policies - Brief Article
American Enterprise, Dec, 2002

"North Korea cannot be allowed to develop a nuclear bomb. We have to be very firm about it" President Clinton declared on "Meet the Press" on November 7, 1993. Now we learn the North Koreans went ahead anyway. Is anyone really surprised that particular Commander in Chief didn't dissuade them?

Charles Krauthammer sure isn't. Back in 1993 he bemoaned, in his syndicated column, that Clinton's entire foreign policy was built on the principle of "talk loudly and carry a big carrot." This soon "degenerated into nothing but carrots: offers of diplomatic recognition, trade, aid, and most important of all, cancellation of U.S.-South Korean joint military exercises." In exchange, the North Koreans offered Clinton "inspections of the Yongbyon nuclear complex by the International Atomic Energy Agency."

But "inspections of self-declared sites are a joke" Krauthammer warned. "We know from our experience with Iraq that a country bent on developing the bomb can comply fully with regular IAEA inspections and build a massive nuclear program undetected." The place to sign a goodies-for-a-baddie deal like the one Clinton offered North Korea, Krauthammer suggested in early 1994, "is on the deck of the battleship Missouri" because "it is unconditional surrender."

Clinton's State Department characterized the 1993 collapse to the Koreans as "very good news." Clinton himself bragged of his efforts "to reach out and reason with North Korea." But "reaching out to the unreachable and reasoning with the unreasonable," Krauthammer warned at the time, "is futile."

We now know who was right. Unfortunately it's too late, and Americans must face another grave threat to their lives. Thanks to the weakness of Bill Clinton.

So much BS. So deluded the writer.

Quote:
South Korean, Japanese, and Russian intelligence estimates of the amount of plutonium separated, for example, are reported to be higher -- 7 to 22 kilograms, 16 to 24 kilograms, and 20 kilograms, respectively -- than the reported US estimate of about 12 kilograms. At least two of the estimates are said to be based on the assumption that North Korea removed fuel rods from the 5-MW(e) reactor and subsequently reprocessed the fuel during slowdowns in the reactor's operations in 1990 and 1991.
Quote:
"When the US-North Korea nuclear agreement was signed in Geneva in 1994, the US intelligence authorities already believed North Korea had produced plutonium enough for at least one nuclear weapon." This was the first time the United States confirmed North Korea's possession of nuclear weapons.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/dprk/nuke-plutonium.htm
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:56 pm
Lash wrote:
He was paying blackmail, and they did continue their program--or they couldn't have developed what they have now. Not during Bush's term alone.

Let's be realistic.

Clinton's policy was enough to keep something from happening on his watch which was all he cared about. At some point, someone has to clean up the mess, and that's what Bush is doing.

Yeah Lash, Lets DO be realistic. From 1994 until 2003 not a single gram of plutonium was refined by the North Koreans. They didn't do it until Bush called them names and stopped the treaty that kept it under IAEA seal. Bush CREATED the mess. You can hide from the facts all you want. The facts are just as I stated here. Until Bush became President the North Koreans only had enough fissile material to create maybe 2 small nuclear devices. Now, thanks to Bush they have enough for 6-8. North Korea restarted their plutonium refinement in 2003 in direct response to Bush and his actions toward them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 07:41 pm
are you clueless or what?
Quote:
That would be a no.

the simplicity of your tirade, the complete inability to accept facts is breathtaking.
Quote:
Well, now we have something in common. That's exactly what I thought about you.

Lets start with debunking your remarks about the "liberals" I quoted.

The emboldened text of my last post were the answers given by a Republican, appointed as the ambassador to South Korea by George Herbert Walker Bush.
Quote:
I scanned over the text. The wishy-washy psychoanalysis and advice to Bush is what I responded to. If that was Bush 1, the same applies. I wasn't reading as a partisan. I was reading for content. It sucked. It was liberal, no matter who wrote it.

So, you have floated to a place on the River of Denial that now accuses Bush's own father of placing liberals and quislings in positions of high authority.
Quote:
I'll read back and tell you who said what I thought was ridiculous, if you want to know. If it was a hireling of Bush 1, so be it. Actually, I don't have a lot of respect for Bush 1. He WAS too much of a poll watcher, and made some heinous decisions as a result.

Can one really be that clueless about such matters as you are?
Quote:
I know what has been tried by the Clinton administration, and Bush's policy. You tout a failed policy. Why don't you grow up and talk policy. How many imes do you need to resort to personal insult? I mean at least diversify.

As to Syria and Lebanon, perhaps you were at the hair dresser over the past several months, but the ex-president of Lebanon was assassinated and the result of the revulsion of it from the Lebanese people are what forced the Syrians to leave Lebanon. You are imbuing magical powers onto Bush in this situation.

Quote:
If you don't think the climate Bush has caused has contributed to the sudden (interesting timing, eh) decision of large groups of people to get in the street to demand self-determination, you are no student of world events or geopolitics. For shame! Poseur!!!

You also seem to ignore that the death of Arafat has given both sides on the Israeli / Palestinian conflict some maneuverability, unless of course Bush was using a Jedi mind trick and killed Arafat.

Quote:
Actually, I have been chanting Death to Arafat for several months, but I won't take credit. Of course, it has made it easier. Bush has taken great advantage of that geezer's demise. He swiftly developed a good relationship with the new leader of the PLO, and pressed Israel to begin making rapid progress which has been very successful thus far. He doesn't squander good luck.

You can register as a Republican at your local precinct

Egypt? good grief, know you nothing about Egypt?

Quote:
I know plenty about Egypt. Hopefully you know more about Egypt than what you have demonstrated about ....everything else so far. I am aware of the extreme bad situation over there. But, they're like another Saudi Arabia. You allow the people to teach and preach hatred, and force feed the public propaganda, and you will always have to twist and turn to prolong the inevitable. Let them vote. Hell, Israel kicked their collective ass with one hand tied behind her back. If they DO elect someone less tenable than Mubarak--what are they gonna do?

Mubarak is not relinquishing control and perhaps he had better not, since there is a rising anti-American attitude in Egypt.
Quote:
Catch up on your reading. You're behind. He is relinquishing control. There will be a vote for the first time in 24 years. Democracy is spreading like wildfire..

Saudi Arabia? They were supposed to have elections in 1974 to appoint local leaders who were to advise the Saudi royal council. Women still don't have equal rights and won't as long as the house of Saud runs that country.
Quote:
Wake up!!! Splash some water on that face. I think we know who has been at the hairdresser, Mr. No News Reading Man. The Saudis HAD an election.

They HAD one. The people demanded it.
Bushie.... 5,......................... Kuvasc......He don't know.

They discriminated against the women his time, but they have already said they will likely vote next time.

Cause the times....they are a changin'.

Cause Bushie, he is a changin' 'em.

but Iran? Iran? For Christ's sake, your remark about Iran is insane.
Quote:
Actually, that was a typo. BUT, do you think Bush has planted pro-Democracy agitators in Iran?

Their move to freer elections first started before Bush was even in the White House. In fact, since Bush took over and has threatened the Iranians as member of the Axis of Evil and parked 200,000 American soldiers on their eastern and western borders, they have actually begun to reduce the freedoms they have in response to what they consider is a threat of military invasion by the US.

Quote:
But, typo or not--I guess to understand this--you would have to understand realpolitik, geopolitics and have some history of Iran.

Bush funds and plants agitators to work with the students and pro-Democracy elements, while sticking it to the Mullahs. There are two Irans, and we're deeply embroiled with both of them. That'll be $5.00.

So, how in the world is that a positive product of Bushevik policies?
Quote:
Told you.

They aren't. Nothing you have pointed to as true is true.
Quote:
It's all true. But, it's OK that you didn't know. You're a Democrat. We don't really expect you to know.
POST HOC, ERGO PROPTER HOC
Quote:
That's nice, but it would have served you better to spend time learning geopolitics.

You are cobbling together a cause and affect that is not rational. The elections you mentioned are not a result of big bad Bush swinging his mighty dick.
Quote:
He did it with his pants ON. Maybe if Clinton could have kept his on, he might have avoided letting the world go to hell on his watch.

I will grant you this. You seem utter incapable of anything more than a superficial understanding of the issues here, and have repeatedly refused to face facts that run counter to cherished, yet grossly misinformed positions.
Quote:
No. That's you.

As to the Council on Foreign Relations being Liberals? What the hell are you smoking? Whenever someone cites anything that rejects your false assumptions you cry "Liberals!" its stupid to do so and the more you do the stupider you look.
Quote:
I read their policy. It consists of gentle psychoanalysis of the poor misunderstood, but cuddly Kim Jung Il. The policy is liberal. THE POLICY IS LIBERAL. No one but a liberal would EVER come up with such ****.

While you may state without equivocation that "No liberal knows what to do with foreign policy." It clear we knew more than the Busheviks about whether or not Iraq had WMDs.
Quote:
Both Clintons believed it, John Kerry believed it Carl Levin believed it, plenty in the House and the Senate believed it--and that was before Bush ever ran for office. Liberals didn't know, either.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 08:15 pm
Bah hah hah!

In their endless desire to see every diplomatic standoff through the prism of 1938, conservatives want to cast themselves in the role of the guys who put an end to appeasement -- in this case, in North Korea. So they're the ones who said 'this far and no further' -- as the Brits and the French did in Poland with the Nazis.

But there's a problem with this analogy, and an infinitely revealing one. The Brits and the French knew what they were going to do if Hitler called their bluff. They had a plan: go to war. And they did. They had, in a word, a plan.

What's the administration's plan with North Korea? They don't have one.

The line taken on this point by administration defenders is, what do you want us to do? Go to war? They've got nukes and forty thousand of our soldiers are there ready to get slaughtered and they can destroy Seoul and on and on and on.

This line of argument is supposed to shut up administration critics because who wants to be in the position of encouraging the administration to go to war.

But it doesn't end the argument, it just gets it going. If war is such an ugly and unviable option -- and it is -- then why in the hell did they provoke this situation in the first place?

It's a really good question and one the administration and its defenders are entirely incapable of answering.

You only get to seem tough and principled and Churchillian if you draw a line in the sand and then have something to follow it up with. You only get credit for pointing out what everyone already knew -- that the 1994 agreement was an imperfect one and perhaps only a stopgap -- if you've got something better. If you don't, you just look like a fool.

The administration says it has a plan: isolate the North Koreans economically and diplomatically. But how serious a plan is that?

Are we going to get the Europeans to withdrew their offer of membership in the EU? Please. North Korea has virtually no diplomatic or economic relations to start with. Their most serious one is with China. And that would make our entire policy dependent on the good will of a country whose influence in the region we're trying to stem, not augment.

More to the point, in the situation the administration has painted us into the NKs have a lot more cards to play than we do. Short of doomsday scenarios like lurching across the DMZ, they can shoot off a few more test missiles or try to sell more missiles to other bad-acting countries. Of course, they can just kick back and start frying up plutonium in their reactor, every new ounce of which will destabilize the region profoundly.

Of course, getting rolled by those sorts of threats is simply untenable. We can't blink just because the North Koreans won't put any limits to their provocative actions. But that just makes the point. We're in a very bad situation. The administration has sat us down at a card game in which we're holding a fairly weak hand. Conservatives are free to play Churchill if they've got a better plan or the will to force a better solution. Since they have neither, they've got to put away the cigar and bowler hat.

Tough talk sounds great until your opponent calls your bluff and everybody sees there's nothing behind the trash talk.

Then you look foolish. We're there today.
0 Replies