Toyota Camry

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:42 pm
I'm going to be buying a new car in the near future and I'd like your thoughts on the Toyota Camry.
I really like the look of this car and it's something I'm seriously considering buying.

http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/media/camry/colours/i_col5.jpg

Your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,026 • Replies: 35
No top replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:49 pm
It's a very good car, and you likely won't be disappointed with it. My opinion is that, for the money, the best buy in the market today is the Honda Accord - a very similar car, but a bit lower in price and often a bit better equipped. The differences however are not great enough here for you to go against what you really like - that's important too.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:54 pm
Thank you very much george. That's what I like to hear :-D
Of course I'm gonna go check out the Honda, just to see ;-)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:55 pm
The Camry's are very highly rated and seem to run forever. The only complaint I have about them is that so many people have bought them that the dang things are everywhere!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:56 pm
The Camry is an exceptional car. I put 350.000 miles on one. Transmission finally wore out, so I scrapped it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:02 pm
Fishin
Awesome! Around here it's Grand Ams that you see everywhere. Now I'm getting excited!!!

Gus
Are you serious???
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:04 pm
Yeah, I'm serious.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:07 pm
Wow!!!! I find it hard to believe that you got 350,000 out of a transmission, but hey what do I know.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:08 pm
This is great! I've been wracking my brains trying to find something that's nice and reliable :-D
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:22 pm
You're buying a new car. As long as you closely monitor the fluid levels and do religious preventative maintenance, you should get 150,000 out of ANY car.

With the exception of the Yugo.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:31 pm
well, don't be harsh on yugo. while they break a lot, they're easily fixable. you can probably carve a new transmission from wood, and replace just about everything else with pantyhose, sticks, bubble gum and other random items.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:33 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
you can probably carve a new transmission from wood, and replace just about everything else with pantyhose, sticks, bubble gum and other random items.

Gotta love OEM parts! Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:34 pm
Gus
I baby my machines, so I'm good to go ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:36 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
well, don't be harsh on yugo. while they break a lot, they're easily fixable. you can probably carve a new transmission from wood, and replace just about everything else with pantyhose, sticks, bubble gum and other random items.

I always have extra wood, sticks, pantyhose and gum on hand, so this is something to think about ;-)
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:15 pm
Purchasing new car
Gus, you're absolutely right about any car should get at least 150,000 miles out of any car. I had a 1987 Jetta diesel which had 280,000 miles when I traded it in. I presently have a 1996 VW Passat diesel with 250,000. It gets 45+ mpg going 80 mph. No engines or transmissions replacements. The car is rust free and looks quite new. The recent leap in the cost of fuel, has friends and strangers asking how much I want for it.

So, Montana, I think the Camry is a good car and would be a wise and good choice. But, do yourself a favor. Go to your VW dealer and test drive a Jetta TDI or Passat with a 5 speed automatic transimission or a stick if you prefer. You may be pleasantly suprised to find out that new diesels start easily, are almost as quiet as a gas engine, accelerate and above all should get over fifty MPG. The interior of VW Jetta and Passat are nearly exactly the same size as the Camry's interior measurements.
I believe the price of each VW is below the Camry.

Trying a different car is is meant as a suggestion and not a call to battle over VW vs Camry. .It's just that my cars have run as well as Toyotas and the body of the Passat and better than some Camrys.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:15 am
Thanks BF. Only thing is that I don't know how to drive a stick and I really have no desire to learn.
Does it come in automatic?
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:21 pm
Yes. You can get it with automatic transmission.
If you do take a test drive, please let ush know what you thought.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:27 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
The Camry is an exceptional car. I put 350.000 miles on one. Transmission finally wore out, so I scrapped it.

Way cool! You are my Idol in this!
My 1983 was at 215,000 when it died.
The 1985 is at 205,000 and going great.
The 1986 is at 155,000 and still looks pretty new (for an old model)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:28 pm
BF how's the leg room for a really tall guy?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:30 pm
I'm glad someone idolizes me. But did it have to be you, husker?

I was hoping for someone like Angeline Jolie.
0 Replies