Is it to early to get excited?

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 06:05 pm
Every year I promise my self not to get excited until my team wins at least the first round of the play-offs. My team has not won a division title since 1959 and have not won the world series (or Championship) since 1917... yeah that is right 1917. Even worse then the curse that started in 1918 and was just broken. They haven't even been to the world series for 45 years. So after a lifetime of knowing nothing but failure I try not to get worked up until there is something to really be worked up about.

This year started off with very low expectations. They traded my favorite player to Milwaukee and my other favorite player got hurt and traded to Detroit. They really didn't add much in the off-season, so I was expecting a dismal season at best.

But low and behold, 22 games into the season, my team, The Chicago Whitesox, have the best record in baseball. The pessemist in me realizes that this will not last... but the kid in me is already dreaming of a World Series Penant flying high and proud on the South Side. It may not last... but it sure is a lot more fun then realizing it won't.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 14,610 • Replies: 346
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 06:47 pm
yep -- its a tad early...
if they're still in the hunt sept 1st, u can legitimately get your hopes up.

in the meantime, why not catch a few brewer games and check out Mr. Lee?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:25 am
He is doing pretty good. Plus Miller Park is a nice place to watch a ballgame.... I just wish is was called Budweiser Park or Guiness Park or Doghead Fish Park... anything but Miller.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:58 am
It is never too early to get excited. I have felt like that almost every with the Red Sox.

Here are some things I can think of to help your Sox out that seemed to work in Boston:

Get a local ice cream company to make a flavor supporting your team - we had Reverse the Curse (just changed to Curse Reversed).

Get a some die hard fans that are authors to write a book about the current season (for Boston it was Faithful).

Does your team have a song? Try that "Sweet Caroline" has worked wonders for us.

If your team has a curse (like ours did) - have anyone or anything associated with the individual destroyed - some house Babe supposedly lived in at some time was destroyed; some relative 10 times removed was hit by a ball at the park and his teeth were knocked - those sorts of things.

And have a team full of idiots that no one else other than their fans have faith in.

Although I still hope for the Red Sox to win it all again. I do like the White Sox too and hey if the Red Sox don't do it - I hope for the other Sox.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:13 pm
Sox won't do anything, stop expecting right now. Their pitching is really really iffy. Buerhle is their only constant. They have no closer, a newbie manager, and a lack of O-Fence. No chance at all.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:43 am
Child of the Light wrote:
Sox won't do anything, stop expecting right now. Their pitching is really really iffy. Buerhle is their only constant. They have no closer, a newbie manager, and a lack of O-Fence. No chance at all.

Child... you're a cubs fan, right?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:49 pm
Yes
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:19 pm
I disagree with Child.

The CWS are, IMHO, the best team on their division. It will be a tight race with Minnesota, but Chicago does have a chance to get into the playoffs.

I concede that the Central Division of the AL is the weakest of the six, so the White Sox would be an underdog. But I also know that anything can happen in October.

If I doubted their starting pitching I wouldn't have El Duque and Freddy Garcia in some of my fantasy teams. This Garland boy looks terrific so far. And "constant" Buerhle has, at the moment, the highest ERA among CWS starters.
I totally agree about the awful bullpen (perhaps their Achilles' heel).
And I disagree slightly about the offense. Nothing to get excited about, but not bad, and with good speed.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:50 pm
fbaezer wrote:

And "constant" Buerhle has, at the moment, the highest ERA among CWS starters.

You can't possibly being disputing Buerhle as their top starter. Garcia is one of the most inconsistent pitchers in the league. El Duque is pretty good, won't hurt you really. Garland is an unknown, who knows what he'll do. If I remember correctly, Paul Wilson started off 8-2 last year and ended up with about 9 wins on the year. Garland's story may be no different.

As for their Offense, it is also marred with inconsistent players. Konerko does it every year, either slow start or finish, but I do think this year will be different. Their two speedsters Iguchi and Podsednik will probably combine to hit .260.

Even if all the variables go The Sox way, they still won't hold off The Twins, who have the best pitcher in baseball, the best closer, the most underrated manager, and the most balanced lineup. Twins are a very very good team.

Twins eventually win division by 15 games.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:57 pm
What I meant by opposing "constant" Buerhle to the other two is that the other two are very good, IMHO. I know El Duque can get injured at any time and Freddy, even if respectable, is far from the best you can get... but they'll gather several wins.

Yes. Podsednik and Iguchi will combine to a .260 batting average. The key will be their OBP.

As for the Twins. Yes, Santana rules. Yes, they have the best bullpen in the MLB. And then...?
Their only other respectable starter is Radke. The team's offense looks certainly better than the White Sox's, but it's not that impressive.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 07:04 pm
Justin Morneau could easily hit 40 HRs, Torii Hunter is on absolute fire this year. Playing his usual stellar center field, but is now stealing bases and hitting for more power, but he'll still probably only hit about .270. Then they bring 5 guys that can easily hit 20 HRs, Lecroy, Ford, Cuddyer, Stewart, Jaque Jones. They are balanced. Radke, in my opinion, isn't even their number 2 starter. A guy named Carlos Silva could really win about 15 games this year. With Radke as the 3, Joe Mays as 4, they could do some damage.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 07:14 pm
We'll see, Child.
I honestly don't care much about that division, but like the way the CWS looked this April.

(And I have Santana and Lew Ford on some of my teams Wink ).
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 07:15 pm
I have Santana and I picked up El Duque a few days ago.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:12 am
I recently read an article that stated the Chicago White Sox has the strongest pitching overall.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:49 am
Linkat wrote:
I recently read an article that stated the Chicago White Sox has the strongest pitching overall.

For now... maybe. We'll see in another month or two.

The biggest thing I am worried about is the offense. Child is right when he says Konerko either starts or finishes strong but never keeps it for the whole season. Even once they get Frank back they don't really have that potent of an offense. If their pitching can stay strong they have a chance... but that is a pretty big if.

I'm hoping this is finally the year Garland grows into a major league pitcher. He has all the talent and all the pitches... he just has had a habit of thinking to much and getting into trouble early. So far this year he has been throwing early strikes and getting ahead of batters. Then comes the big curve and slider... then you better watch out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:25 am
Better than the Red Sox pitching at the moment.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:17 pm
Just started a thread about fantasy baseball:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51253&highlight=
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:52 pm
By the way... 8 straight wins for a record of 24 and 7... still the best record in baseball.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:55 pm
All I can say is... wait for the All-Star Break.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 01:34 pm
The streak ended at eight games last night. A lose to the Devil Rays... now that is the Sox team I am most familiar with.
0 Replies