Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

cicerone imposter

Wed 9 Nov, 2011 11:16 am
@farmerman,
The only thing missing from their argument is logic; they only jump to conclusions without showing any evidence for their premise.
spendius

Wed 9 Nov, 2011 12:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sheesh!!
cicerone imposter

Wed 9 Nov, 2011 03:27 pm
@spendius,
That about sums up your posts.
0 Replies

Anomie

Tue 3 Jan, 2012 06:04 pm
@wandeljw,
What are the conditions for intelligent design?
spendius

Tue 3 Jan, 2012 06:15 pm
@Anomie,
The general problem of satisfying human necessities having been solved leaving a significant proportion of the population with nothing to do. Under Veblen's principle of waste=status the ones with nothing to do are the best paid and thus an ever expanding incubus.
spendius

Wed 4 Jan, 2012 12:07 pm
@spendius,
Which is, of course, an attempt to put an evolutionary perspective on the question Anomie asked.

It seems that a college education results in being unable to do that because it has blown too many egos up so hard that the membranes have become distended to the point that it is best to give them a wide berth as they have the look of being popable under even the slightest of pin-pricks.

BTW. Why did you choose Anomie for your username. You seem very advanced in the normative department to me. What could be more well-mannered than to agree to play on these guy's home turf?

They are simply trying to rationalise an un-Christian sex life. Or hopes of one. They have probably forgotten how it started. The rationalisation has now become the rationale over time and with constant exposure to the productions of those who saw an opportunity to exploit this modern demand by providing it with a scientific gloss. So much so that they have now come to believe that they are in tune with science and, as such, superior to the rest of us deluded. superstitious knuckledraggers. Which is enough to make a stone gate-post chortle.

They can't lose on their own patch. It's circular.

I don't think they are here to make money.
spendius

Thu 5 Jan, 2012 07:46 am
@spendius,
I wondered where fm had got to so I searched for his recent posts and found there a new Profile. Check it out.

It coincides with the incident on the boat. I felt at the time that it was a big deal. He played it down but I sensed it had changed something. That's why I tried to get him to elaborate.

I had a brush with mortality at 19 and it changed me. Big time. I had another one in my 30s. Not quite as close but near enough to confirm that my youthful conclusion was correct.

I hope he's okay. He's been a significant part of my life for many years. I always knew that he was the sort of bloke who would be okay in the pub and behind enemy lines.

I was debating the merits of the top five teams in the Premier League last night and it wasn't long before an old cock presented graphically, with a couple of well chosen images, one from football and one from agriculture, the way the times have changed since he was a kid and said that the "young uns" today have no idea how fast this buggy is going. A theme I agree with as should be obvious from my posts. There really is mutual incomprehension between the generations in our sort of world. Take attitudes to silk bloomers as a typical example.

If any of you meet up with him give him my best wishes and tell him that debate is good for a man. It's just a question of how to do it.
0 Replies

Anomie

Thu 5 Jan, 2012 12:14 pm
@spendius,
Personally, I disagree, my non cognitivism disagrees with normatives, and immaterial objective moral values, unless there is a moral law giver, such as a thiest God.
spendius

Fri 6 Jan, 2012 07:21 am
@Anomie,
The way I see it Anomie is that you are trying to conduct the debate entirely on your opponent's home turf.

Isn't that obvious from the glee with which they take you on and the way they ignore my posts? Do you really think there would even be a debate if the subject was asexual as all the pseudo-scientific stuff they trot out actually is? Science is asexual. Evolution isn't.

The Party can be a moral law giver if the spin is good enough. But it needs high walls around itself.

They can knock God all they want but if they can't provide an alternative they are nowhere. Lenin & Co. provided an alternative and it failed. Your opponents don't dare even offer a hint of one. Just knock, knock, knock. Hopeless.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 10:13 am
Wow!

Almost seven years...almost a thousand posts...and here is where this discussion is!

Seems like one of those soap operas my wife likes so much. She can miss a month or so and come back and be completely up to date within minutes, 'cause so little happens.

Hope you are all having fun.

Nice to see the old names and hear the old arguments.
snood

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 11:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
What's up Frankie, you big bad ole agnostic you!
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 11:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
It's not the arguments Frank. It's how you make them. There are no new arguments. It's all style now.

Just look at the shite people will eat in order to be stylish. It is the natural outcome of capitalism that the best food will be the cheapest. And nobody with style would ever be caught eating cheapo gear. So they eat shite like Nigella Lawson concocts. When they assert, usually gushingly, that it is wonderful and suchlike, they really mean how wonderful they are to be masticating such stylish nosheroonie.

If only they could bring such style to their shitting. There would be shiteraunts everywhere catering for every market niche. Perhaps evolution designed us without that aptitude for very good reasons. It wouldn't do at all imo to be talking out of your arse whilst shitting. I'm sure the books of etiquette would stress how bad-mannered that is.

It's not the same with arguments because you don't necessarily have to swallow them to give them style.

But don't think that because you haven't noticed anything happening, either on here or in your wife's soaps, it means that nothing is happening. Take A2K's intellectual elite of 7 years ago for example. It's been dispersed, defeated and discombobulated.

Very little ever happens in short arguments except the sides become further apart.

Is your handicap improving?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 01:09 pm
Hey Snood…good to see ya. Hope all is well with you and yours. I like that new avatar. You look cool. If memory serves (less and less these days actually) you were in the Army when we last talked. You still in service?

Yo, Spendius. Handicap really took a beating this year. Never got below a 14…although my best games came at the very end of the season. Had an eagle week and a half ago! Actually been able to play here in New Jersey up until just last week (when the really cold weather moved in.) Today, in January, it is in the 50’s in NJ!!! But the Honey Do list is long…and no golf in the picture.
farmerman

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 11:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
hiya frank. Glad to see ya back. So,Do you paint yer balls for wintertime playing?

snood

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 06:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
Retired 1 July 2010. Living in Durham, NC now. G-l-a-ad to be out of Loos-ee-an-ah.
Frank Apisa

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 09:37 am
@farmerman,
Hey Farmerman. Good to see you, too.

This topic seems to be one of the most popular on A2K. Seems like a dead end to me, though...and 5 years and 1000 posts seems to bear me out in that.

I tried to sum up my take on the issue in one of your threads on the issue, in what was an almost axiomatic comment.

It went along the lines of: IF there is the possibility of a GOD…there is the possibility of intelligent design.

Mind you, I did not say there is a GOD…I did not even say there is the possibility of a GOD…I merely said “IF THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A GOD.”

I got lambasted. The opponents of Intelligent Design could not even acknowledge the obvious…the truism aspect of that comment.

It may seem trivial, but it isn't.

Unless someone is willing to assert there is no possibility of a GOD (which would require an element of proof to establish) then there truly is the possibility of Intelligent Design.

Of course, the Intelligent Design would have had to be the kind of thing scientists are unraveling in their testing of the various theories of evolution.

Come to think about it, the only kind of Intelligent Design that really makes sense would be some variation of natural evolution! Otherwise the only thing an Intelligent Designer would make is other GODS.
Frank Apisa

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 09:39 am
@snood,
Ahhh to be in NC. Golf courses up the gazoo...and weather a hell of a lot nicer than we have in Jersey.

Good luck with the retirement. I'm enjoying mine to the max.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 09:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Nice to see the old names and hear the old arguments.

I can't believe it's you, Frank. On the other hand, I can't believe it's not you, either. And in a situation like this, saying "I don't know" is a sign of strength, not of weakness.
edgarblythe

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 09:48 am
There is no possibility of a god. See my sig line for proof.
Frank Apisa

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 10:12 am
@Thomas,
Hey Thomas. Good to see ya.

We gotta get together with Jonathan for a beer. He told me he finished the New York marathon...and I got the impression you did too. Did ya? If so, congratulations.

f.