Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

cicerone imposter

Sat 28 May, 2011 09:09 am
@spendius,
Since you are so smart, spendi, how about explaining
Quote:
They think we don't know that the science is the last thing on their mind. They even limit their definition of science to exclude any science which contradicts them.

Please present any evidence of your claim. A double negative? my, my, my...
spendius

Tue 31 May, 2011 12:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's obvious from even a half-assed critical analysis of these three threads.
cicerone imposter

Tue 31 May, 2011 12:29 pm
@spendius,
Your analysis are all half-ass. What are we supposed to make of it except for the simple fact that you are clueless.
spendius

Tue 31 May, 2011 12:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just two more ad homs to add on to the giant pile you are on the record as having heaped up.
cicerone imposter

Tue 31 May, 2011 12:49 pm
@spendius,
Not really. They respond directly to your non-relevant posts.
HexHammer

Tue 31 May, 2011 03:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's a fool's errand that provides me with some comic relief on a regular basis. It has entertainment value to me.
Very well, that is your choise.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:20 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Your analysis are all half-ass. What are we supposed to make of it except for the simple fact that you are clueless.

That responds to nothing beyond your vanity ci. They are ad homs: really. Pristine in their naked purity.
cicerone imposter

Wed 1 Jun, 2011 11:30 am
@spendius,
No, it doesn't; it's a simple fact that your opinions concerning science and religion are based on your religious beliefs. The twain shall never meet, because you will never understand what science and evolution is all about.
farmerman

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 05:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Our Highland Baptist Church is having another "Creationfest" in July. They invite several people who are peripheral to the natural sciences, invest in them the full confidence of the BAptist Conferences, and let them spread their baseless bullshit around to the kids who are , at the same time, being educated in publicschools.
Nothing like critical thinking the Baptist Way.

Guess Ill gather up my fellow colleagues and see if we cant get ourselves uninvited to the soirees. At least we wont be like the IDiots who were screaming at the lwcturers during the DArwin Birthday celebrations 2 years ago at Penn.

reasoning logic

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 05:47 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
IDiots

That's a good one !LOL
No pun intended Spendius or anyone else !
farmerman

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 05:55 pm
@reasoning logic,
I cannot take credit for that. Its been used here for several years. Im thinking that an individual named TimberlandKevin made the first submission.

Spendi's heard it before and Im sure he will respond sooner than later.
0 Replies

shanemcd3

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:39 pm
it is not so much that evolution itself is a well proven fact, but that the alternitive, that life forms just appeared, fully formed, seems quite illogical, and i am sure there were many before darwin who understood this, the only scientific theory that describes life forms which spontaneously come to existence is put forward by boltzmann, in which the entire universe is a massive quantum fluctuation, which has just come in to being, complete with life forms, with false memories, which could disapear any moment, what a horrifying thought that is!
farmerman

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:33 pm
@shanemcd3,
In this relm, Botzmann and ODUM remind me of the saying that
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you see all the worlds problems as a nail"

Boltzmann dod some great work in ideal gases and Odum was a great ecologist. Where I think they fell off the melon truck is in their collaborative look (sorta even though Boltzmann was pretty much dead) at "excess energetics" as a thermodynamic system
. Since evolution is clearly adaptive (mostly) , energetics cannot convincingly explain to me how entire orders and phyla arise as a result of geomorphic processes.
0 Replies

shanemcd3

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 09:47 am
I don't believe boltzmann truly believed that the universe was a fully formed quantum fluctuation, only that it was not impossible, don't you think so? Have you ever heard of a bolzmann brain? Thats where a cloud of gas randomly arranges itself in such a way that it gives rise to a conscieous entity, like a naked brain floating across space, which i think cannot be totally ruled out, although i think the main point was that conscieousness is not so much to do with the material itself, but the way in which it is arranged
farmerman

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:39 pm
@shanemcd3,
Still doesnt get over the fact that evolution is adaptive not prograding. As the environment changes evolution comes out of not some thermodynamic excess energetics system but from a living form that is able to modify its morphology (and uktimately its genetic makeup) to adapt to an environment that is pretty much unpredictable but limited in potential responses.

0 Replies

lone77star

Wed 27 Jul, 2011 06:42 am
Intelligent design theory is religious interpretation posing as pseudo-science. It is ego pretending to be spiritual.

The proponents of ID forget the precepts of their own religion. Key among these is humility.

But they are also being delusional. Science studies reality and is batting close to a thousand. To ignore reality is tantamount to delusion. Simple.

What the fundamentalist believer forgets is that there are so many different and conflicting interpretations, and only one can be right. But more terrifying to some is that none of those interpretations may be right.

I believe God created the universe. What exactly God is, I cannot say. But I've experienced being outside of this Homo sapiens shell and seeing the world around me with the same clarity found using my body's eyeballs. This happened during some particularly potent spiritual counseling (no drugs, surgery or physical trauma involved). What does this have to do with God? If the Creator is a non-physical, spiritual and immortal source of creation, then we might be similar to the Big Guy. In fact, Genesis 1:26 says that we were created in His image. Say that were true. That would make us baby gods, right? And the Nazarene teacher told his enemies who were about to stone him to death, "ye are gods."

That same Nazarene teacher said that we could do the miracles he did and even greater ones. And wouldn't you know, I've had some experience with this, too! I write about this in a HubPages article, "Anatomy of a Miracle." Okay, this may seem to be chest thumping on my part, but think about it. If each of us can do such things, then my few meager miracles are nothing special. But logically, the implications are profound. A purely physical being cannot bend, break or otherwise circumvent the laws of physical reality. Only a non-physical source of creation can do something like that.

So, even though science usually only studies the realm of continuity (physical reality or the space-time continuum), some of the same logic can be brought to bear on the discontinuous realm of creation, faith and spiritual awakening.

It may be that the proponents of Intelligent Design have it all wrong, but it may also be that the key idea behind ID has been right, after all. God created the universe and His day of rest has now lasted for something like 13.7 billion years. Just a thought.
cicerone imposter

Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:32 am
@lone77star,
Really! If we're made in the image of god - physically, it means he must eat, pee, and **** - and have sex. How does he meet all these physical needs?
spendius

Wed 27 Jul, 2011 01:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He doesn't do any of those things because a personification of evolved wisdom does not have the needs. He is male because the personification of feminine evolved wisdom doesn't provide the goods and services to which we have become accustomed. And has a terrible record.

Too accustomed in many cases. Like the heiress who doesn't like to discuss the source of the wealth she is squandering.

It is a scientific question whether doing without the personification has military and economic advantages over the only other alternative. The fact that such a question is beyond the range of anti-IDers, and many IDers too, is neither here nor there scientifically.

Religion is scientific. It's just that the answer doesn't just pop up on a screen to be read off, copied out and stapled to a bursting shirt front.
cicerone imposter

Wed 27 Jul, 2011 01:59 pm
@spendius,
Religion is scientific to the extent that it shows science is based on facts, and religion on myths.
0 Replies

shanemcd3

Fri 5 Aug, 2011 05:13 pm
science is based on logic and reason, religion is based on faith, and the dictionary definition is "Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence" and the definition of delusion is "an idiosyncratic false belief that is firmly maintained in spite of incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary" so basically the more faith you have, the more deluded you are