Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Ethel2

Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:17 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Lola,
The quote reminds me of a riddle my son told me. (He has attention deficit disorder.) He asked me: "How many kids with attention deficit does it take to change a light bulb?" I told him I didn't know. He replied: "Hey, let's go ride our bikes!"

Very funny. laughing Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:54 pm
dyslexia wrote

Quote:
What we do know for sure (it says so in the good book) is that god created man in his own image which leaves us with the conculsion that (1) god is generally stupid and (2) god is, more often than not, ugly.

Keep it up and a thunderbolt from on high will get you. :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:10 pm
One cant top that A D D story. Im gonna borrow it ifn you dont mind.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:32 pm
au1929 wrote:
dyslexia wrote

Quote:
What we do know for sure (it says so in the good book) is that god created man in his own image which leaves us with the conculsion that (1) god is generally stupid and (2) god is, more often than not, ugly.

Eventually, given infinite time, everything happens. Correlation does not prove causation.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:46 pm
Lola wrote:
au1929 wrote:
dyslexia wrote

Quote:

Eventually, given infinite time, everything happens. Correlation does not prove causation.

Lola, I've always taken issue with that claim, that due to the fullness of time, everything will eventually happen. It seems that for it to be true you'd have to posit infinite matter energy and volume in our universe, and that isn't the it is as far as I know.
0 Replies

owl

Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:59 pm
How about the bigger question. Should we respect the beliefs of those we do not agree with?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:00 am
owl wrote:
How about the bigger question. Should we respect the beliefs of those we do not agree with?

We don't have to respect anyone's belief, but we do have to respect their right to believe it.
0 Replies

au1929

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:50 am
Quote:
Dissing Darwin
Friday, June 3, 2005; Page A22

THE INVITATION was straightforward enough: "The Director of the National Museum of Natural History and Discovery Institute are happy to announce the national premiere and private evening reception for The Privileged Planet: The Search for Purpose in the Universe," on June 23. But for the museum's directors, the decision to allow this film to be shown in one of their auditoriums turned out not to be straightforward at all. The Museum of Natural History is known, among other things, for its collection of fossils and its displays describing Darwin's theory of evolution. The Seattle-based Discovery Institute, by contrast, is known for its efforts to undermine the teaching of Darwinism in schools and to promote the theory of "intelligent design" -- life is so complicated it must have been designed by an intelligent creator.

For these reasons, the Smithsonian and its Museum of Natural History should have been wary of this project. But the film itself also should have given them pause. The museum's policy, according to its spokesman, is to allow private groups to use its auditorium for a fee -- in this case, $16,000 -- so long as the material shown is not religious or political in content. While "The Privileged Planet" is an extremely sophisticated religious film, it is a religious film nevertheless. It uses scientific information -- the apparently "perfect" position of Earth in its orbit and in its galaxy, the uniqueness of its atmosphere -- to answer, affirmatively, the philosophical question of whether life on Earth was part of a grand design, and not just the result of chance and chemistry. Neither God nor evolution is mentioned. Nevertheless, the film is consistent with the Discovery Institute's general aim, which is to drive a wedge into the scientific consensus about the origins of life and the universe and to give a patina of scientific credibility to the idea of an intelligent creator.

The museum was naive or negligent not to recognize this, and more naive not to anticipate the backlash. When news of the film showing recently began circulating, one Web site that supports intelligent design asked enthusiastically whether this meant the Smithsonian was "warming up" to the theory of an intelligent creator. In a newspaper interview, Bruce Chapman, president of the Discovery Institute, also said how delighted he was that the Museum of Natural History would "co-sponsor" the event despite the fact that the evening was intended to be a private affair. This is precisely how the intelligent design movement has gotten as far as it has: by advocating outwardly inoffensive ideas in ever-more prestigious places, thereby giving the movement scientific validity. This week, after protests from within and outside the museum, the directors returned the $16,000 auditorium rental fee and issued a statement declaring that "the content of the film is not consistent with the mission of the Smithsonian Institution's scientific research." It's an embarrassing about-face, but not as embarrassing as the original decision.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:15 am
Quote:
This is precisely how the intelligent design movement has gotten as far as it has: by advocating outwardly inoffensive ideas in ever-more prestigious places, thereby giving the movement scientific validity.

It's also precisely how the ultra-right has gotten as far as it has as well. They strated locally with the school boards and delegates to the RNC and state legislatures and now look where we are. I can't define it further........I have to work. But I'll do it later if necessary.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:33 am
Quote:
On the Private, Invitation-only Screening of the "The Privileged Planet"

The Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History recently approved a request by the Discovery Institute to hold a private, invitation-only screening and reception at the Museum on June 23 for the film "The Privileged Planet." Upon further review we have determined that the content of the film is not consistent with the mission of the Smithsonian Institution's scientific research. Neither the Smithsonian Institution nor the National Museum of Natural History supports or endorses the views of the Discovery Institute or the film "The Privileged Planet." Given that the Discovery Institute has already issued invitations, we will honor the commitment made to provide space for the event, but will not participate or accept a donation for it.

This is the June 1, 2005 press release from the Smithsonian Institution.

au1929: thanks for bringing attention to this news story
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:39 am
From the perspective of science, intelligent design in some form or another is a possibility that we cannot exclude. It does not compete with evolutionary theroies at all - the questions of how did it all start and how does it change and grow are decidedly different matters. I don't claim to know the answer to the question of how did it all start, and I do recognize that science itself doesn't claim to know that answer either.

These are serious questions and one should be able to discuss various positions or possibilities without being described as a representative of this or that movement. Amusingly this kind of reaction is just what confronted Gallileo several centuries ago.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:49 am
Intelligent design theory agrees with evolution theory in part but disagrees that natural selection can account for the evolution of complex organs. It seems to me that there is more corroboration for using natural selection as an explanation than for substituting "intelligent design" as an explanation.
0 Replies

raprap

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
Intelligent design strikes me as being akin to Benevolent Lamarckism.

Rap
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:12 am
wandeljw wrote:
Intelligent design theory agrees with evolution theory in part but disagrees that natural selection can account for the evolution of complex organs. It seems to me that there is more corroboration for using natural selection as an explanation than for substituting "intelligent design" as an explanation.

Whether evolution, or God, or both created life on Earth, the matter should be settled by science, i.e. a detached, objective analysis of the evidence.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:44 am
Intelligent design tries to have it both ways. It subscribes to the major findings of science and, often, professes a support of evolutionary means. What scaresme is that all the major tub thumpers of ID are all "faculty" members of the DiscoveryInstitute and are fond of stating that "evolution and Christianity cannot coexist". SCience must be value neutral.
The difference between this issue and Galileo is the following .
Galileo gave in and submitted to the church. He didnt stand his ground in order to save his ass.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:45 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

Whether evolution, or God, or both created life on Earth, the matter should be settled by science, i.e. a detached, objective analysis of the evidence.

Interesting use of the word "should". Seems so imperious to me to say how this age old controversy "should" be settled. I'd venture to say that to some, matters of faith are anything but detached, objective and analytical. There are after all, learned men of faith. I wouldn't assume to tell Albert Schweitzer or Einstein how they "should" settle the matter of their Christianity, for instance. But, each their own.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:55 am
It is a simple matter to concoct (or borrow) a version of theory based on intelligent design that perhaps goes too far and demonstrate that it contradicts some known scientific finding or theory. This does not, however, preclude the possibility that the universe had a creator with a design in mind. Science offers no satisfactory answer whatever to the question of beginnings. It is a fact that both in biology and in physics & cosmology there are gaps in contemporaneous theoretical models that admit possibilities on both sides of this dispute. However that is not the central question of intelligent design.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:05 am
george-shouldnt we dispassionately investigate "gaps"?. ID seems to just throw down its pencils and not involve itself with anything but "investigational rhetoric" .

Snood, its interesting you bring up Einstein. Did you realize in his writings he used the word god in the plural "gods". This pissed Bishop Sheen quite off for his obvious dalliance with pantheistic nonsense. The difference with Einstein and any credible scientist is that they keep their research and their moral rudder separate. Not so with ID. These people wish to create a system of public instruction that forces a slim worldview into its " science curricula".
We are free to bring up anything we wish in science. (in Pa a teacher can bring up Creationism, even thought the US Supreme Court has spoken on this very issue in 1987)
If ID is carried forth and won, that freedom of instruction will no longer be an issue of free choice. Teachers will be required to become philosophy and religion instructors. And the world will continue to pass us by.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:21 am
I sympathize with the points you make, and agree that there is a good deal of foolishness on all sides of these disputes as they are often fought and discussed.

For me the question is one we all deal with - what is this universe, and how did I get here? Is there a design or plan to it all? From that perspective there is no clear separation of science and philosophic understanding. I recognize that distinctions should be made in our civil lives and in particular the operation of our public institutions and accept them. However much depends on how these distinctions are made.

If, in our public actions, we explicitly or implicitly assert that science is the only possible source of understanding, and that the march of science will necessarily provide answers to all questions including the origins of the universe, within the bounds of conventional theory, -- then we are violating both the fundamental principles of science and philosophy and the civil contract that calls for us to stop short of enforcing beliefs we do not know are true.

There may be no way out for the controversy in schools. However my concerns there are all about the excessive government intrusion in schools in all manner of things. There are moments when I believe we would all be better served if we abolished public schools entirely and simply gave parents educational vouchers redeemable in schools of their choice.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Fri 3 Jun, 2005 01:00 pm
snood wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

Interesting use of the word "should". Seems so imperious to me to say how this age old controversy "should" be settled. I'd venture to say that to some, matters of faith are anything but detached, objective and analytical. There are after all, learned men of faith. I wouldn't assume to tell Albert Schweitzer or Einstein how they "should" settle the matter of their Christianity, for instance. But, each their own.

Matters which are purely spiritual are one thing, but theories of the origin of life on Earth are matters of fact, and I feel perfectly confident in saying that matters of fact are the province of evidence and logic.
0 Replies