Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

farmerman

Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:32 pm
Thanks for the Court Filing there Wandel. I started reading and was amazed at how "in plain English" this filing is. Im used to these things being written in ponderous prose with too much legal jargon. Could it be that Texas has rules that require such briefs to be clear to the general public?

He asked.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:38 pm
I don't know the answer to your question, farmerman. It is true that every U. S. District Court is allowed to make its own regulations. The regulations for the West Texas Division may be different than for the Central Pennsylvania Division. I have heard of judges selecting a common dictionary such as Merriam Webster and insisting that the definition of all terms agree with the dictionary.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:48 pm
What's their definition of "Tw*t" wande?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:53 pm
That would be spendi, but I think it's spelled "twat."
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Jul, 2008 05:03 pm
That is incorrect and liable to cause young people to get the wrong end of the stick.

A Tw*t is, as most people know, a device for scr*wing the l*iving da*lights out of any silly c*nt who dares to try one out.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:44 pm
I believe spendi is in the throes of Recalcitrant Brewskitis
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 9 Jul, 2008 04:16 am
Oh--I don't know about that fm!!

Quote:
Keep the Supreme Court from becoming a vehicle of right wing policy.

When it has a majority of Roman Catholics and Mr Obama has lurched to the right since he saw off the Gutsy Broad with a load of crap and he's the only alternative now to another right winger.

Not to mention that the facts of life are right wing.

Quote:
"The better theory is the one that explains more, that explains with greater precision, and that allows us to make better predictions."
Karl Popper (1902-1994)

And Feyerabend is supposed to have demolished Popper in Trivializing Knowledge- a section of Farewell to Reason.

You have to laugh at the thought that by quoting that drivel wande signs himself up as a wise, precise prophet.

It seems to me that anti-IDers are in the throes of Recalcitrant Brewskitis and are projecting like chapel hatpegs.

You guys trivialise knowledge like it has never been trivialised before.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:48 am
What do you think of this fm-

Quote:

Do you think Recalcitrant Brewskitis is catching?
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:55 am
sorry that youre stewing over my childish attempt at humor there spendi. Relax, go do some trivia. Im busy tody so ill be signing out for a few time units.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 9 Jul, 2008 06:15 am
You couldn't make me stew fm if you danced around the cauldron for a month.

Is US inflation policy science or religion?

Who defines "intelligent" in the expression Intelligent Design?

BTW- This thread is where I relax. Trivia needs concentration which is why you lot avoid it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:50 am
Quote:
Chuck Norris Forgets the Talking Points
(by Ed Brayton, ScienceBlogs.Com, July 9, 2008)

Or perhaps he's just not on the mailing list from the Discovery Institute. In his latest column, Chuck Norris says:

Oops. He went and let the cat out of the bag. Chuck, repeat after me: SB 733 allows teachers to offer objective, scientific critiques of current theories, including evolution. That's bullshit, of course, and we all know it, but you've got to stick to the talking points or other people will find out it's bullshit too. And speaking of bullshit:
"What many might not realize, however, is that our founders were familiar with naturalistic and evolutionary views of the sciences. Evolution has been around a lot longer than Darwin. And criticism for it has also been around a lot longer than Ben Stein's movie 'Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed.' The Founding Fathers were well-aware of the arguments for and against naturalism. They were familiar with the sciences and arguments for and against theism and naturalism since well before the time of Christ."

Wow. Just wow. Someone gave this ignoramus a column, for crying out loud. There are people who actually take him seriously. That's frightening.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:04 am
Why are blogs invading A2K?

Who here is debating with Mr Brayton?

What's a "Science Blog"? Calling it a science blog doesn't mean it has anything to do with science.

And if he's "frightened" perhaps we should alert the appropriate services so that they can call on him to reassure him that nothing of importance is happening and that things will go on much as they always have. Minor hiccups notwithstanding.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:43 am
This is bit better than a blog.

Sunday Times Magazine Feechewer Blair's Second Coming extract-

Quote:
In office, Blair, who converted to Roman Catholicism last year, didn't much discuss his Christianity ("We don't do God," Alistair Campbell famously decreed, and once privately to me {Lesley White}: "He thinks we're all bloody heathens"), but now he means to talk about little else, having defined religion rather than secular politics as the power axis of the future.

"This is what I want to be involved in for the rest of my life," he says.

And Mr Blair is very popular I gather in the US. Jon Voight is calling him a hero.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 10 Jul, 2008 08:19 am
Quote:
Patsy Jindal
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:42 pm
It sounds from that that Louisiana's elected political elite have been smooched by Disco. That they have no mind of their own.

What a ridiculous idea, that Louisiana's top brass are paralysed in Disco's headlights and, I should think, an idea thought ridiculous nowhere moreso than in Louisiana.

Mr Derbyshire is promoting Disco by deviously suggesting that it has had any effect on Lousiana's vote. He has granted a power ascendency to Disco which is unelected over two assemblies and an office which are all elected and can be presumed to understand local conditions.

Some straw man he's got there. That's confidence trickery goodstyle.

Like all journalists he thinks politicians are stupid. And the voters.

If religion did drop out science would blow media away in the fight which would then ensue. Imagine regulations where everything in media had to be a scientifically verified fact so that people could be properly educated.

The Lonely Hearts pages would look silly. There's some fantasies on them.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 10 Jul, 2008 01:31 pm
I believe spendi is talking back at the little voices in his head.

I believe that "DISCO" is spendiform for Discovery Institute. Although Im never sure with him. He chooses format over substance always.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 10 Jul, 2008 01:36 pm
from Derbyshire's article
Quote:
Helping to defend creationist school boards in federal courts is not the Discovery Institute's game. Their game is to (a) make money from those spurious "textbooks" they put out, and (b) keep creationism in the news so that they don't run out of lecture gigs and wealthy funders. So far as those legal bills are concerned, Discovery Institute policy is: Let the dumb rubes fund their own stupid lawsuits

I think that this paragraph is an overly simplistic view and one that is dead wronmg about the Discovery Institute (DI). They have been a "budding" from the neck of Scientific Creationism and display, among their members, all sorts of convinced Creationists who are stuck on the PAleyian affirmation. I cant believe that, just to keep in funds, they would play at being convinced of the correctness of their worldview.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 10 Jul, 2008 01:42 pm
farmerman,

Spendi may have gotten "Disco" from a post I wrote several months ago. I mentioned that many science bloggers now use "Disco" as shorthand when speaking of the Discovery Institute.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 10 Jul, 2008 01:42 pm
They have more to lose by sticking with the various suits than if they just provide experts and move on. They need to keep their own mission intact. In Dover, they had, from the start, not wanted to entertain a law suit without several legal facets that would give them partial victories in summary judgements . Their own wedge strategy recognized that victories would take time and diligant efforts and there would be many "two steps forward and three steps back" scenarios.
The very cases that are gonna be an outgrowth of Louisianas law will, Ill bet, be compacted with other case points that are equally as inocuous sounding as the one that Jindal signed.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:55 pm
Ultimately the only valid way to counter this bill is to ensure that teachers are properly trained in their subject of expertise. Science teachers must be qualified to teach science.

Unfortunately, this may take some time...
0 Replies