Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

rosborne979

Mon 16 May, 2005 10:29 am
wandeljw wrote:
rosborne,

The website for Kansas State Board of Education has some position papers from certain "expert" witnesses. One such witness at the hearings was Dr. Angus Menuge, a philosophy professor from Concordia, a Lutheran university in Wisconsin. Dr. Menuge specifically attacked "methodological naturalism" and asserted that it should be removed from the science standards.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the *Kansas* Board of Education, pondering the thoughts of a Philosophy professor from a Lutheran University who is telling them how to define science.

It just gets better and better.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 16 May, 2005 01:14 pm
It occurred to me that only in the United States do we have access to this type of entertainment. I doubt that other countries debate evolution at all. When the British media reports on evolution debate, they are talking about Kansas, Georgia, or Pennsylvania.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 16 May, 2005 05:46 pm
wandeljw wrote:
It occurred to me that only in the United States do we have access to this type of entertainment. I doubt that other countries debate evolution at all. When the British media reports on evolution debate, they are talking about Kansas, Georgia, or Pennsylvania.

And the neocons rant about theocracies in less "enlightened" countries.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Mon 16 May, 2005 05:50 pm
I have a new documentary called Mimetoliths I am finishing up and it states some wild and practical thoughts on the matter of evolution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 16 May, 2005 05:58 pm
I am greatly amused that the State of Alabama has defined the value of pi as 3 . . . period . . . just 3 . . . sure must make geometry a hulluva lot easier for the liddlies . . .
0 Replies

au1929

Tue 17 May, 2005 06:26 am
All I can say is the bible thumpers are giving God a bad name. Painting [him/her/it] as a heartless tyrant. That may be the biggest sin of all. The hell you speak about may be waiting for you. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 17 May, 2005 06:32 am
set-of course you know that was all a joke perp;d by THE ONION.

Yes, I agree about the enetrtainment part. Thats why guys like Art Bell are gaining in ratings share.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Tue 17 May, 2005 06:35 am
The attempt in Kansas to redefine "science" as a concept is pretty disturbing, although that's a game that the ignorant can't win for long.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 17 May, 2005 06:35 am
I see that anyone can openly deride any concept by making up a two dollar word like "methodological naturalism".
I like "recalcitrant postholism"
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Tue 17 May, 2005 07:33 am
Hey what about the blink theory ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 17 May, 2005 07:35 am
As in Blink 186?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Tue 17 May, 2005 07:37 am
no the best seller on the New york times.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 17 May, 2005 07:39 am
I was not being serious, and i am frankly alarmed, AK, to think that you might.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 17 May, 2005 08:03 am
The school board election for Dover, Pennsylvania is today! (Farmerman, please let us know whatever you hear on your local news about this.) Below is an excerpt from an Associated Press report:
Quote:
Evolution dominates campaign in Pa. town
DOVER, Pa. (AP) - On opposite sides of town, two billboards for competing slates of school board candidates illustrate the deep divide here over the teaching of evolution and the origin of life. "We would have no interest this year if not for the intelligent-design issue. It is the overriding concern," said school board president Sheila Harkins, who is up for re-election. The intelligent-design policy is being challenged in a federal lawsuit scheduled to go to trial in September. The plaintiffs are eight families who claim that intelligent design is merely biblical creationism disguised in secular language, and has no place in a science classroom. The school board has defended the intelligent-design mandate, saying it merely wants students to know about weaknesses in Charles Darwin's theory. Seven of the board's nine seats are open.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 18 May, 2005 07:18 am
I didn't realize that yesterday's school board vote in Dover, Pennsylvania was only a primary. The actual school board election will take place in November. However, the seven candidates selected for the Democratic party are all opposed to including intelligent design in science classes. The seven chosen for the Republican party are the seven incumbents.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 18 May, 2005 07:55 am
wandeljw, I talked with a colleague just a few moments ago and he, living near Camp Hill Pa, stated that the newspaper, the "Harrisburg Patriot", had a preliminary count and some commentary about how important teaching this controversy is. (thats the new ploy should ID fail). As you stated, it appears pretty much of a draw along party lines. I cannot even beleive that this is a Party line issue.
Now we have 2 other school districts that are making press about "We aint related to no monkeys" (that was a direct quote, and it appears that "we aint related to anyone who listened in English class either")

Yeh, this was a primary , the only positions were township and borough officials, a couple of judges and one really big ballot referendum concerning whether Pa should incur a 625 million bond debt to fund the "Growing Greener" environmental initiatives which have done a lot to improve stream quality in the state. That issue passed almost 2 to 1. So, that has somewhat restored my faith in the electorate.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 18 May, 2005 08:35 am
farmerman,
Thanks for providing details on yesterday's primary.

As far as party line is concerned, the "anti-ID" candidates actually submitted their names for both the Democrat and Republican primaries. Those who voted in the Republican primary chose the incumbent board members. Those who voted in the Democratic primary overwhelmingly chose "anti-ID" candidates.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 18 May, 2005 05:43 pm
Hmm, I dont think we can cross file in Pa. If they wanted to cross file we would have to convince people to "write in" a persons name on the other party"s ballot.

I found out in this PMs paper that the leader of the anti-ID movement is the towns Presbyterian minister.
He said that "we can teach our kids all about God, just not in science classes"
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 19 May, 2005 08:54 am
A new draft of standards for science education came out of the recent Kansas hearings. In regards to teaching evolution at the high school level, the draft proposes the following goals:
Quote:
The student …
1. understands biological evolution, descent with modification, is a scientific explanation for the history of the diversification of organisms from common ancestors.
2. understands populations of organisms adapt to environmental challenges and changes as a result of natural selection, genetic drift, and various mechanisms of genetic change.
3. understands biological evolution is used to explain the earth's present day biodiversity: the number, variety and variability of organisms.
4. understands organisms vary widely within and between populations. Variation allows for natural selection to occur.
5. understands the primary mechanism acting on variation is natural selection.
6. understands biological evolution is used as a broad, unifying theoretical framework for biology.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Thu 19 May, 2005 08:58 am
wandeljw wrote:
A new draft of standards for science education came out of the recent Kansas hearings. In regards to teaching evolution at the high school level, the draft proposes the following goals:
Quote:
The student …
1. understands biological evolution, descent with modification, is a scientific explanation for the history of the diversification of organisms from common ancestors.
2. understands populations of organisms adapt to environmental challenges and changes as a result of natural selection, genetic drift, and various mechanisms of genetic change.
3. understands biological evolution is used to explain the earth's present day biodiversity: the number, variety and variability of organisms.
4. understands organisms vary widely within and between populations. Variation allows for natural selection to occur.
5. understands the primary mechanism acting on variation is natural selection.
6. understands biological evolution is used as a broad, unifying theoretical framework for biology.

This is fine as far as it goes, but it fails to state the most significant deduction, that evolution is responsible for the presence of life on Earth today, in the sense that once a self-replicating molecule existed, natural selection then took over and began making improvements.
0 Replies