Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Mon 26 Feb, 2007 04:13 pm
Quote:
"It's the economy, stupid!"

Actually, that's a clever version of Orwell's "stick rattling in a bucket".

But it's coming to something when millions have spent the last four years wrestling with grave moral issues and the man they elect was not up for appealing to their better natures.

Perhaps no one ever will again. I'm a Material Girl the lady warbled to great acclaim. A sort of low grade throwing the reins at the whims and foaming at the mouth.

What's "re-hab". It seems popular. Is it moving house?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:39 am
NEW EVOLUTION CONTROVERSY IN TENNESSEE

Quote:
Senator calls for answer on creation of universe
(By TOM HUMPHREY, Knoxville News Sentinel, February 27, 2007)

NASHVILLE - Sen. Raymond Finney proposes to use the legislative process to get an answer to the question of whether the universe was created by a "Supreme Being."

Under Senate Resolution 17, introduced by the Maryville Republican, the answer would come from state Education Commissioner Lana Seivers "in report form" no later than Jan. 15, 2008.

Finney, a retired physician, said Monday that his objective is to formally prod the Department of Education into a dialogue about the teaching of evolution in school science classes without also teaching the alternative of "creationism," or "intelligent design."

The move would thus renew a debate that has raged off and on in the Tennessee Legislature since at least 1925, when the 64th General Assembly enacted a law forbidding the teaching of evolution - setting the stage for the famous John Scopes "monkey trial" in Dayton, Tenn., later that year.

Finney said there is no doubt in his own mind that everything in the universe, including human beings, was created by a Supreme Being.

"There has never been any proof offered that Darwin's theory of evolution is correct," he said.

"I'm not demanding that she (Seivers) to do anything," he said, "just asking, 'Are you sure we're doing the right thing?' "

He said the resolution is "giving her the opportunity to say, 'You're wrong. There is no creationism.' "

As the resolution is written, if Seivers does answer no to the first question - stating that the universe was not created by a Supreme Being - she would be offered "the General Assembly's admiration for being able to decide conclusively a question that has long perplexed and occupied the attention of scientists, philosophers, theologians, educators and others."

But if she answers yes, or states that the answer to the creation of the universe is uncertain, then there is a follow-up question that must also be answered: Why is creationism not being taught in Tennessee schools?

Finney said he suspects that Seivers would answer that the means of creation of the universe is uncertain. Seivers was not available for comment.

But Bruce Opie, legislative liaison for the Department of Education, said state policy has been "over the last several years" that it is appropriate to teach students about creationism in religion or sociology classes, but not in biology classes.

"As far as his (Finney's) question embedded in this resolution, I am a little bit confused," said Opie. "It's awfully interesting that he wants an answer from the person sitting as commissioner."

The State Board of Education actually decides curriculum for public school courses, he said, and Seivers is basically bound by those board decisions.

As a Senate resolution, the measure needs approval only by the Senate - where Finney and fellow Republicans have a majority of members - to become effective as a formal request to Seivers. The Democrat-dominated House need not take any action.

Opie said department officials would welcome discussion with Finney about his questioning proposal, which has not yet been scheduled for a vote in any committee. Finney said he was not certain when he would bring the resolution up for a vote.

Department officials are analyzing the Finney proposal and have not taken a formal position on it, Opie said, but, "I could possibly see us flagging it." Legislation opposed by the administration is said to carry a "flag" or to be "flagged."
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:43 am
Perhaps Ms Seivers might take Rabelais's advice and toss a coin or maybe consult some chicken entrails. She has as much chance of getting it right using those methods as she has having a year long and expensive consultation process although she might not have as much fun.

She could consult the AIDsers on here. They seem pretty certain of the answer.

When Mr Finney asks-"'Are you sure we're doing the right thing?' " I think he must be concerned about social consequences which is what I have been telling you for ages this debate is actually all about.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:49 am
spendius wrote:
When Mr Finney asks-"'Are you sure we're doing the right thing?' " I think he must be concerned about social consequences which is what I have been telling you for ages this debate is actually all about.

It does seem that way, spendi. Ironically, the social consequences argument was used in 1925 in that same state (Tennessee) for the controversial "Scopes Trial".
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:25 pm
wandeljw wrote:
He said the resolution is "giving her the opportunity to say, 'You're wrong. There is no creationism.'

Now that's an easy question if I ever saw one. Yes there is creationism. Way too much of it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:39 pm
Thomas,

I think that the Education Commissioner should reply that science education does not address "ultimate" origins.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 02:05 pm
Surprisingly no technical points were forwarded anytime during the Scopes trial, it was all social consequence .

Maybe Opie can Ask Aunt Bee.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:32 pm
I don't think the Scopes trial has any relevance in this debate.

The situation today is far removed from what it was then.

AIDsers conveniently forget that there is such a thing as synergy. They forget other things as well.

Progress has been moving on all fronts since then with but minor variations and there are other fields of research besides those the AIDsers have an affinity for. And the hot-shots in those fields have the same body of basic science as the evolution researchers do.

If synergy worked perfectly one could say that having a little buggy on Mars provides a good idea of the sort of progress other areas could be expected to have arrived at since the Scopes trial.

I would say that evolutionist are just about where they were then though.

Take the computerisation of the population for example. are they driving a buggy round Mars. They might be up on Uranus by now seeing as how computers don't need much thrust power.

And besides that- it is possible that Materialism has had a chance to show us what it can do and we might be thinking it might be all squeezed dry and has gone far enough.

Hence the ID movement. Like when the two year old is trashing your reading room and when she gets to colouring the pictures in the Rabelais you say- "that's enough of that- go and ask your Mum for a sweetie."

And Creationism is out. Science has done it in except as metaphor which, as far as The Bible is concerned, is actually 100% irreducibly complex. Hence its validity.

Do you see?

So no ID and in come "sects" which usually degenerate within a short period of time until the members have to visit shrinks to get back to earth again. The urge to get together is the driver. Any old idea to join in with when bored.

What always makes me laugh about AIDsers is the distance by which they underestimate the fiendish complexity of these matters once you accept the social consequences idea as you finally seem now to have done.

In the time of Scopes the social consequences were qualitatively and quantitively of a very modest nature compared to now. And 50 years from now - well- I don't know.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:37 pm
spendius wrote:
I don't think the Scopes trial has any relevance in this debate.

I do not have much confidence in your ability to judge relevance, spendi. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:41 pm
wandel wrote: I do not have much confidence in your ability to judge relevance, spendi.

wandel, Always the gentleman. This is about the "harshest" criticism coming from this poster.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 05:32 pm
spendi
Quote:
AIDsers conveniently forget that there is such a thing as synergy. They forget other things as well.
Lately spendi, youve even dropped the imperative that,on top of your attempts to merely sound magnificent, this IS all about communication. Synergy with what? please do try harder to try to lessen your attempts at pretension and increase your levels of comprehension. Its obvious that youre flippin around on the hook and dont really get the content.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:09 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
wandel, Always the gentleman. This is about the "harshest" criticism coming from this poster.

OOOww c.i.

You are a sensitive soul.

Harsh criticism is when somebody opens up on you with a Tommy gun at close range whilst you are asleep.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:09 pm
spendi, We're not talking about "physical" violence. Know the difference?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:17 pm
I do know the difference c.i.

I object to your twittering, lower middle-class use of an important word like "harsh".

Even "severe" would have been going too far in wande's case.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:20 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
Its obvious that youre flippin around on the hook.

Do you know any other way fm.

If you do you are obviosly destined to be the most famous bloke in history.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:54 pm
spendi, As a lower middle class American citizen who has enough money to travel the world as often as I wish, my twitterings usually have a lot more relative value than you'll ever have on a2k. You just haven't noticed how most of your responders belittle you in so many ways you've become the laughing stock on these boards. Your immune because you're always drunk or in alcoholic stooper to understand what's going on. I'm always sober.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:14 pm
I might be a bit tiddly c.i. but I can spell "stupor" correctly.

It must be very difficult to be "always sober".

I know a bloke who had an operation where they gave him 8 pints of alcohol free blood and he woke up feeling very low down. I think when they operate on a boozer they should give him new blood with at least 100mgs of alcohol per litre.

And he was warned beforehand by the Matron.

She had said to him- "How often do you go out drinking?"

He had replied "every night".

She had said he should prepare himself for being low when he came to.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:24 pm
If that's the best you can do is spell stupor, you're worse off than you think.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:36 am
I see that out in the deeper country, the HighRoad Baptist Church has one of these big church signs on its lawn. Usually such lines contain canned "humorous" tags that urge one to attend church.
On the Highroads sign is a date of a seminar planned for the 2nd week in March

"Intelligent Design Seminar--Its in the Bible"--Looks like the Creationists and IDers have "Made up"

Ill have to attend and see if I can make it through without getting asked to leave.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:00 am
Quote:
Conservapedia: Don't Mess With Noah's Flood
(Carl Zimmer, ScienceBlogs.com, February 27, 2007)

I suspect poking around Conservapedia will become one of my new tools for procrastination. You're guaranteed a jaw drop within a couple minutes of searching on this Wikipedia for conservatives. It occurred to me that I had not yet bothered to look up "creationism." The entry is a whiplash of a read, with critics and backers of creationism having it out, sometimes within a single paragraph. What really struck me was the section on "Attempts to Criticize Creationism." The history page shows that it is authored by "Aschlafly"--presumably Andrew Schlafly, founder of the entire site. It is marked "Don't delete these changes."

And what has been set in stone? After some discussion of St. Augustine, we get to some good stuff:

(2) Young-earth creationism, which holds that the earth is about 7000 years old, is consistent with many observations, such as the existence and nature of the freshwater Great Lakes, the young moon and the Grand Canyon. Opponents repeatedly attempt to censor the sale of publications by the U.S. Parks Service near the Grand Canyon containing differing views of its development.

(3) Creationism is accepted by most Americans and by the most significant scientists in history. Intolerance by opponents of creationism has led to a silencing of contemporary scientists on this issue, but many risk their careers by speaking out against theories that earth is somehow billions of years old.

Conservapedia describes itself as "one of the largest user-controlled free encyclopedias on the internet." Just keep your hands off Noah's flood.
Oh, by the way--perhaps you're wondering about the young moon?

"There is no plausible non-creation theory of origin for the Moon at this time."
0 Replies