Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Tue 30 Jan, 2007 04:33 pm
As it won't for 99% of Americans during their entire working life.

I think most of us can live without it. It's the ones who want to teach it in schools who are making the running.

Anyone can learn about it who wants to. Why do those who want to wish to shove down everybody else's throat.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 30 Jan, 2007 04:39 pm
spendius wrote:
As it won't for 99% of Americans during their entire working life.

I know that timber has a rebuttal for that way of looking at it. Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 30 Jan, 2007 05:50 pm
I think timber has retired from the scene wande as well he might.

He has possibly realised that he's out of his depth and that the stuff he brays over his nearest and dearest won't wash on an international forum.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 30 Jan, 2007 06:13 pm
spendius wrote:
I think timber has retired from the scene wande as well he might.

He has possibly realised that he's out of his depth and that the stuff he brays over his nearest and dearest won't wash on an international forum.

Nonsense spendi - should ever you present anything topically relevant legitimately worth addressing, rest assured it will be addressed. Be assured as well the tedious, blathering, only-occassionally-coherent narcisisistic egostrokes you're giving yourself will continue to be ignored.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 30 Jan, 2007 06:41 pm
That flushed timber out quickstyle.

Good job you're not a pheasant timber.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:25 pm
Usually shoot the bag limit whenever I go after 'em spendi. The Retrievers expect no less; you've never seen a scornful look like the one a good bird dog tosses up after a miss.

Rosemary, sage, garlic, a little fennel, and some nice, smoky bacon are good to have at hand when pheasant - or just about any other upland game bird - are on hand. Wild rice with butter-sauteed mushrooms and shallots is a natural for a side dish, and a tart cranberry-apricot compote is a nice complement. A crisp, but robust, semi-dry white wine rounds out the experience handsomely.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:09 am
timber wrote-

Quote:
Nonsense spendi - should ever you present anything topically relevant legitimately worth addressing, rest assured it will be addressed. Be assured

That is very unlikely because you are deciding, on the assertion principle, what is topically relevant and worth addressing and thus, by that timeworn strategy, only need respond to what it suits your convenience to respond to.

Quote:
when pheasant - or just about any other upland game bird - are on hand

Geoffrey Gorer includes the devouring of putrescent game flesh within his definition of libertinage in part 11 of Chapter 7 of his The Life and Ideas of the Marquis de Sade.

"The greatest pleasures are born from conquered repugnance", for the debauched libertine, he says, and pride is expressed in the capacity and detail of the procedures. The libertine applies such principles to all the pleasures.

I was helping the gamekeeper to rear pheasant for the shoot when I was in short pants. They are cute little creatures, especially the chicks. But it wasn't on our uplands.

I could never eat them though. They had them crawling with maggots before they were considered ready for the refined taste of my elders.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:25 am
Quote:
Book looks at Dover trial
(By MEGAN ERICKSON, York Daily Record, January 31, 2007)

A book seeking to shed light on the Dover intelligent design trial hit the shelves Tuesday.

While focusing on the case in Dover, Pulitzer-prize winner and best-selling author Edward Humes also examines many facets of the story on a national level: how do we teach our children, where are we going with science in this country and how does that match with our religious beliefs?

"A lot has been written with daily news coverage, but we can still put things in context," Humes said. "We can examine how the conflict in Dover fit into the larger, national issue."

For "Monkey Girl: Evolution, Education, Religion and the Battle for America's Soul," Humes interviewed several key players in the trial, such as Bill Buckingham, Judge John E. Jones III and Jeff and Casey Brown. He said he was happy Buckingham agreed to speak with him for the book.

"I hope the book provides some new insights into what led him to spearhead the change in the school's curriculum," said California-based Humes.

Humes attended several trial sessions, interviewed witnesses and experts and pored over many public documents of the case.

A self-proclaimed frustrated scientist, he said he hopes the book gives readers a better understanding of evolution, intelligent design and how they come in conflict.

"When people talk about the theory of evolution, they really don't know what it is," he said. "It's evident of how poor of a job are we doing educating kids in science."

Humes said there is a "cartoon" image of evolution, how hurricanes can whip together materials and make Boeing 757's and how we evolved from monkeys. He said if more people knew about evolution, much of the conflict between the science and intelligent design would go away. But Humes is quick to point out that the lack of knowledge of evolution leads to a bigger problem.

"We're not making science a priority. That should be a concern to everyone," he said. "And we're falling behind the rest of the world."

Part of this misunderstanding is where the name, "Monkey Girl," came from, Humes said. He also found the term sometimes was used as mudslinging at those who supported evolution in Dover.

Humes said he encourages the public to read his book with an open mind. He said he made his best effort to present all perspectives fairly.

"But it's pretty hard to find fault with the judge's findings," he said.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 31 Jan, 2007 12:36 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
"But it's pretty hard to find fault with the judge's findings," he said.

Like it's (pretty) hard to find fault with a 5 year old girl who thinks Father Christmas has answered her postcard.

It is obvious that any action resulting in physical pleasure is natural.

As evolution is a natural process within which this principle is seen at work it needs, in human society, to be inhibited by an ethic of some sort which, by its very nature, as it countermands evolution, requires a religious theology to justify it.

This it can never do absolutely because theology is never perfect as it is a human construction and not a part of nature but an attempt to triumph over it.

I am quite ready to agree to the intellectual coherence of the AIDser's position providing they will agree that we are animals and that any action which goes against animalistic principles is abnornal or perverted.

Without religion no morality can be justified. It can only be "other-directed" rather than "inner-directed". A2K's censoring of certain things is either based on state security considerations or implies an interference with free speech on moral grounds which requires a religious theology to support it. Do we censor certain things because we are repelled by them on religious grounds or because we fear they will cause us physical unpleasure.

Many people take obvious pleasure from taking part in what seems to be unpleasant and meaningless activity. Such behaviour is never found in nature and is thus unnatural.

It is because we have imagination.

Quoting de Sade now-

Quote:
Imagination is pleasure's spur....directs everything, is the motive of everything; is it not thence that our pleasure comes? Is it not from that that our sharpest pleasures arise?

Well, if we allow that imagination to wander freely, if we let it cross the last frontiers which religion, decency, humanity, virtue, in a word all our so called duties would erect to it, would not its divagations become prodigious? And wouldn't their very immensity irritate us the more? In which case the more we wished to be moved, to feel violently, the more must we give rein to our imagination in the most singular routes...

Mt Gorer comments on that with- "It was de Sade's considered and very sincere opinion that pleasure, and especially physical and sexual pleasure, is the chief aim of human existence."

de Sade again-

Quote:
We are born to 'copulate' , we accomplish Nature's laws in 'copulating' and any human law which goes against Nature's is only worthy of disdain.

They locked him up in an asylum.

A libertine is someone who wilfully and imaginatively extends the possibilities of pleasure. It is only in the sexual field that the Judeo-Christian morality is revolted at such a process. In all other fields it is considered praiseworthy as timber's salivations at the prospect of putrescent pheasant shows.

Perhaps there is money to be made by encouraging libertinism in the sexual field which is what the exclusive teaching of evolution can only result in when imaginations are stimulated to the levels they are by mass media and no religion-based morality exists to inhibit them.

I could present that in a much less polite manner than I have.

The Dover defence dived goodstyle. Their own morality prevented them from arguing the case properly.

All known societies regulate sexual behaviour with a religion justified morality and evolutionists have themselves the inhibitions created by such a system.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 31 Jan, 2007 02:41 pm
spendi wrote:
... Without religion no morality can be justified ...

Oh, bullshit, spendi. "Morality" does not proceed from religion, it is an absolute which is necessary to and operationally formative of that on which depends the existence of society, culture, and civilization; without it there never could or would have developed in humankind that which has come to define cooperative communal living. That which permits the concept of religion proceeds from purely instinctual "morality".

The function of "Morality" is to minimize friction within the community group and to promote cooperation among community members to the interest of the overall good of the community. Any socially organized community - insect hive, animal pack, or human - absolutely depends for its very existence and propagation on instinctual behavorial norms. Without such instinctual influence on behavior, such groups, insect, animal, or human, would not, could not occur.

Without innate, instinctual "morality", there would be basis neither for religion nor for religion's descendant, government. Inherrent in, intrinsic to, the reason for, the concept of authority is that which we term "morality", which as a thing or condition is a purely natural, evolved, hard-wired, autonomic, pre-cognitive function no less vital to community than to the individual is autonomic breathing. It is human arrogance to presume that "Our Morality" is anything more "special" than an apparently peculiarly developed manifestation of the same biologic imperative which brings a bee to devote its labor to, and if necessary sacrifice its life for, its hive or for a wolf to share in effort and the bounty of the hunt.

Religion - at root the prototype of government - owes its claim to authority, its very existence, to natural "Morality". By claiming itself to be the source of "Morality" religion perpetrates perhaps its' greatest fraud.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 31 Jan, 2007 03:08 pm
Hey timber,

That's one of the crispest posts I've read, it intrinsically binds evolution and morality.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 31 Jan, 2007 03:32 pm
You certainly deemed my post worthy of a proper response timber.

I respect the position- just about. I'm not entirely convinced you are wrong.

Flaubert is supposed to have researched very hard to write Salammbo. In the resultant book he depicts a highly successful society, Cathage no less, with no discernable morality as we use the word. A society with Enron executives from top to bottom. Antiquity is full of barbarism. They thought love a madness. They didn't love their Gods- they feared them.

Our morality, one of compassion, imperfect though it yet is, derives from Christianity. A morality needs a theology to make it stick and the theology can't be explained to the masses.

The group behaviour you talk about is purely functional. An agreed system. But what about those who don't agree. Who have some special aptitude to take advantage of the weaknesses implicit in the agreement.

Take the traffic laws. Which of them are not designed to cope with that type. Look at finance law. Any law.

Don't we need a moral compass. Something got unconsciously in childhood which stays our hand at some things.

Evolution theory to a 140 IQer at 16 won't give him that. Quite the opposite. It will justify his every ruthlessness.

I just don't think that is built in as you suggest. I think you would have what might be called feral children. Amoral. Only think mind you. The Marquis agreed with you. But he was an aristocrat and lived in completely different circumstances than those we are in.

It's an interesting subject. But the Judge at Dover didn't get to hear about it according to what I saw. Swinburne agreed as well.

You would need to keep your fingers crossed is my view if you bet on it.
What brought us this far looks good enough to me.

I see it as a vast Council of Trent on a democratic scale and it will drag on and on and we can't stop the future arriving.

We ain't bees or wolves. We are Faustian man and we're going all the way till the wheels fall off and burn. Like Bob says.
0 Replies

real life

Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:40 pm
Chumly wrote:
Hey timber,

That's one of the crispest posts I've read, it intrinsically binds evolution and morality.

If morality is a product of evolution, then isn't one standard of morality common to all mankind?

I thought you didn't hold to such a notion.

Ready? Hike!
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:10 pm
In order for higher evolution on a social basis to emerge, a (at least potentially) mutually beneficial code needs to form in some fashion to some degree, but how does that translate into a logical argument that "one standard of morality" must then be "common to all mankind"?

In a multi cellular organism in which some of the cells become cancerous are these cells immoral?

Do you think mankind represents the moral equivalency of termites?

As social insects, termites live in colonies that, at maturity, number from several hundred to several million individuals. They are a prime example of decentralized, self-organized systems using swarm intelligence and use this cooperation to exploit food sources and environments that could not be available to any single insect acting alone. A typical colony contains nymphs (semi-mature young), workers, soldiers, and reproductive individuals of both sexes, sometimes containing several egg-laying queens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termite#Social_Structure_and_Behavior

And in Canada it's not football it's Hockey so Face Off!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 1 Feb, 2007 09:45 am
A CURRENT EXAMPLE OF THE "EVOLUTION IS ALSO RELIGION" ARGUMENT

Quote:
Evolution is just as religious as Intelligent Design
(AARON VANDENBOS, Boise State Student Newspaper, February 1, 2007)

Whenever there arises a discussion on the origins issue (as in intelligent design versus evolution), Darwinian materialists invariably go to great lengths to frame the discussion as science versus religion, despite the scientific validity of opposing arguments and scientific credentials of those who propone them.

Any doubts raised about Darwinian evolution are automatically attributed to religious motivations that cannot possibly be rooted in fact. What is worse is that these doubts are dismissed without consideration and the scientist/teacher who raised them is blacklisted. You won't see this on the nightly news, and the ACLU surely will turn a blind eye, but high school science teachers have been fired for assigning students material from mainline scientific journals that questioned aspects - mere aspects, not even the overarching theory - of evolution.

Why this academic intolerance? Why this - I can't help myself, it's the hot buzzword - hate of an opposing theory? If evolutionary theory was so patently established in true science and intelligent design theory was so patently established in pure religion, then why is it that treatment of this issue in the popular press betrays the deeply religious commitment that most evolutionists have to Darwin's theory?

In my experience, IDists, knowing that they are the underdog, are careful to be objective and factual. On the other hand, I have noticed that evolutionists tend to spend most of their time questioning their opponents' credibility, belittling their opponents' intelligence, demolishing straw men and then doing victory laps.

For instance, after writing an opinion piece about intelligent design pointing out common misconceptions I was rebuked in a subsequent response that I "had a poor understanding of what science is." Now, I certainly do not claim to be an expert by any means, but as far as science is concerned, my GPA can't get any higher. Does that count for anything? Apparently not, considering my origin's views. Unfortunately this is the typical treatment for all dissenters from Darwinism. I am viewed as a poor scientist because I do not adhere to evolution and I do not adhere to evolution because I am a poor scientist. Interesting, isn't it?

Evolutionists have won a great battle in the culture wars by defining science as it suits their purpose. Many people know that a literal interpretation of science is knowledge, yet the vast majority of evolutionists hold to a definition of science that presupposes purely naturalistic mechanisms, deliberately excluding non-naturalistic explanations.

In other words, the war is won by default before it has even begun.

Yet what if some supreme intelligence is the cause behind everything we see? What if God is the creator? If this were the case, the truth is a supernatural event, not a natural mechanism.

Thus, not only would the supposed conclusions of "science" be false, but they would be false by default because the assumptions that they are based on would be false also. I certainly don't advocate the position of "I'm right no matter what science says!" but "science says" is not as black and white as it is made out to be.

We all live on the same earth; we all have the same raw data. The conclusions drawn from this data can be varied depending on the assumptions with which the data is viewed. We have all seen the detailed paintings of early man in National Geographic based on only the most rigorous science … a few bone fragments, actually. Hopefully no one seriously believes that arriving at fully-formed "missing links" from some small fossils is actually predicated on sound science. To be sure, the end result is influenced by ideology despite being published in a prestigious periodical.

In conclusion, all I'd like to see is a level playing field. It is slanderously misleading for materialistic evolutionists to claim that intelligent design is motivated purely by religion, but they themselves are unsullied by contemptuous philosophical leanings. Everyone is biased; everyone's conclusions are influenced by his bias.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 1 Feb, 2007 11:56 am
Thanks wande-

Mr Vandenbos need look no further than this thread for evidence for what he says.

Quote:
On the other hand, I have noticed that evolutionists tend to spend most of their time questioning their opponents' credibility, belittling their opponents' intelligence, demolishing straw men and then doing victory laps.

There is nothing but straw in the AIDser's position. They are invariably personal and insulting and have hubris to burn.

More than that though is the fact that they will eventually lose this argument simply because society cannot afford them to win it.

Evolutinary processes have the capacity to throw up an infinite number of slight mutations which are selected in or out by environmental conditions.
The environment extrudes the organisms. A mutation which has an advantage under one set of environmental conditions could easily be at a disadvantage under another set.

Thus there are two fundamental facts-

1-The envoironment.
2-Organic life.

Evolution theory has nothing to say about how either were created and thus nothing to say about a creator.

The only motives AIDsers can have are-

1- Money or power grabs.
2- Trouble making.
3- The need to be different and shocking.
4- To strip away the last defences of chaste innocence.

Quote:
IDists, knowing that they are the underdog, are careful to be objective and factual.

I don't feel like the underdog. And at Dover IDers (I'm not convinced they were IDers) were limited by their own neuroticisms (and those of their nearest and dearest) and failed to give prominence to the social consequences argument as a result. Perish the thought of the social consequences for mothers, wives and daughters of evolutionary principles becoming dominant in society although the good lookers might fancy it which is why the ambitious good lookers head for the amoral cities where the $1,000 whore flourishes.

Body fascism is a pure urban phenomenom and amply justified in evolution theory. Especially with media on its case which thrives on trouble and scandal.

The 95% (or more) ordinary plain folks need something else.

All the militant scientific methodologists I have known were strutting bantam cocks to whom the Christian virtue of humility was entirely absent no doubt due to the influence of a pushy and doting Mama. Once they come across Nietzsche's "Master morality/ Slave morality" dichotomy away they go seeing themselves as being in the former category and with a duty to lead us all to the higher calling of Charles Darwin with his inherited money and position. (The juddering jellyfish).*

How's that for a bit of genteel smearing.

I can do smearing better than any AIDser if I put my mind to it.

*Juddering in Juvenal's usage.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 1 Feb, 2007 12:31 pm
spendi, Your whole thesis goes to pot, because you haven't proved with any evidence to back up your IDist theory. You can't give credit of anything without proof, simple logic, which seems to continually escape you.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 1 Feb, 2007 04:10 pm
c.i.

I have no thesis. There is no IDist theory.

Unless this is-

Quote:
Thus there are two fundamental facts-

1-The environment.
2-Organic life.

Evolution theory has nothing to say about how either were created and thus nothing to say about a creator.

I don't consider that a thesis or a theory. They seem irrefutable facts to me.

I would suppose that if 9 tenths of the earth's surface was water we would have larger lungs and hearts or smaller ones or whatever. That slight variations in offspring are better suited to some environments and thus have improved breeding prospects seems hardly an earthshaking discovery.

Huxley said when he first heard of Darwin's theory- "Why didn't I think of that?"

Why study 600 million year old fossils of bat bone structures when you have X-rays of living racehorses which perform differently on different running surfaces. To provide useless jobs is one answer.

And anyway- we don't live in a world where only the successful breed as is the case in evolution. Quite the opposite in fact.

Education is there to provide for our continuity. Not to be the plaything of a few specialists who have probably only raised the issue to publicise their expertise.

You are over 70 I gather. A scientific methodologist would knock you off if he had the courage of his convictions. You're a serial polluter on your own admissions. You're "addicted" to oil and they say, scientists, that it's phewking up the environment. What sense does it make to keep you on?

Compassion maybe. Christian love. Not scientific methodology and that's for sure. As soon as you slow up in evolution you're gone. Eaten.

You're side have NO chance. Zilch. Sorry!
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 1 Feb, 2007 04:13 pm
Unless, of course, success is measured in breeding terms.

In which case the middle-classes are an abject failure.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 1 Feb, 2007 04:55 pm
spendi,

Is it your thesis that the teaching of evolution somehow corrupts young people? You have made many remarks to that effect including one today:

Quote:
To strip away the last defences of chaste innocence
0 Replies