Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Wed 17 Jan, 2007 01:20 pm
I'm sick as a parrot.

I took 90 minutes over a response to wande's book review and when I submitted I got the Critical Error page. Again.

Usually, when this happens, pressing the back button recovers the text. Not this time though. All lost. I know I ought to copy but it seems to show lack of confidence in our medium.

I hope Science can do better when it is organising the social system.

I might try again but in case I don't viewers might be interested to know that I comprehensivly rubbished the article.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 17 Jan, 2007 01:44 pm
spendius wrote:
Oh-I don't know. It's not that lowdown by ZIT standards.

I have noticed that AIDsers often approve of other AIDser's efforts. It helps keep their spirits up I suppose. It's a form of self-flattery and provides comforting reassurance.

Definitely beta minus (second class). Strong desire to practice irony suitable at that level. Tart's knickers curtains. Bridge's cocktails. Granville Island produce. Whistlers on wedding anniversary. Home decor by Urban Barns. Gastown loft apartment. Holt Renfrew underwear. Ben Elton fan.
Centre-right leaning left on personally sensitive issues. Socially responsible. Bird table plus accessories. Reserved up to a point. 40-45 Christmas cards. 6 inches (approx). Puckered ringpiece. Charmin.
Sour grapes!

We live on acreage, not city dwellers, well water, backup generator as the power is iffy.
My wife does her own home décor not much on shops.
I have never heard of Ben Elton.
I am not overly socially responsible.
I have not been to Granville Island nor Whistler for years, no like much.
I don't send any Christmas cards, my wife might, I don't ask.
I do all my own work on my machines, electrical, structural, vehicular: a man and his tools.
For anniversaries I most often get my wife some interesting trees and other larger plants, she would likely give me a credit for a plunge router or some such, we don't go to restaurants much, most often the food is not the great.
If jeans and T-shirt are not enough, then I take a sweater along.
I just checked the toilet paper but the packaging is not there, just a bunch of anonymous rolls, perhaps not wholly dissimilar to the rolls found on the midriffs of some UK city dwellers.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 17 Jan, 2007 03:19 pm
Chumly wrote:
We live on acreage, not city dwellers, well water, backup generator as the power is iffy.

Ditto all the way around. Our generator automatically swithches on when mains power "iffy"s - it runs on propane, fed from the 1000 Gallon tank which provides our heating and cooking gas. If it runs much more than half an hour, we cut back to essential electric only; while power disruptions usually are brief, there have been some of many, many hours, and a couple have dragged on more than a day.
Quote:
My wife does her own home décor not much on shops.

Pretty much the same - but Mrs. T is a fiend for garage and yard sales.
Quote:
I have never heard of Ben Elton.
Ben Elton - run-of-the-mill entertainer/author of some regional, if past, reknown.
Quote:
I am not overly socially responsible.

Yup.
Quote:
I have not been to Granville Island nor Whistler for years, no like much.

Ya got me there - I've never been to either, as best I can recall. Of course, there was the '60s, so ...
Quote:
I don't send any Christmas cards, my wife might, I don't ask.

Mrs T exchanges Christmas cards with a circle of freinds and family; I know this because its my job to make the daily treks to and from the mailbox.
Quote:
I do all my own work on my machines, electrical, structural, vehicular: a man and his tools.

Yup - tools and duct tape are way-of-life stuff here; if it ain't broke, just gimme a little more time Mr. Green
Quote:
For anniversaries I most often get my wife some interesting trees and other larger plants, she would likely give me a credit for a plunge router or some such, we don't go to restaurants much, most often the food is not the great.

We usually exchange gift certificates on the appropriate occasions - but we do go out for dinner pretty regularly, not just special occasions - we're fortunate to have some pretty nice restaurants conveniently nearby (within an hour's drive or so)
Quote:
If jeans and T-shirt are not enough, then I take a sweater along.

Our haberdashers must be cousins.
Quote:
I just checked the toilet paper but the packaging is not there, just a bunch of anonymous rolls, perhaps not wholly dissimilar to the rolls found on the midriffs of some UK city dwellers.

We generally buy it in bulk - couple dozen rolls or so of whatever is the best "on sale" bargain at the time ... no brand loyalty there whatsoever.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 17 Jan, 2007 03:21 pm
I have underestimated you Chum.

You might be a serious anti-IDer after all.

You are nearly as bad as I am. I bet you can't do nothing all day like I can. You would like Veblen.

But we are eccentrics you know. Bringing up millions of children to be like us is just not on. They are packed in like sardines in the cities. Some of them have never trodden on real earth. They constitute a sort of way station between agriculture and sewage treatment. Once agriculture becomes so efficient that only 1 or 2 % are needed something has to be done to dissipate the energy and squabbling and emulation competition are the chosen methods, politely managed of course but deadly serious for all that, for those who can't be doing with not being up and doing.

It's a bit suspect though is recognising anniversaries. A bit spiritual. And Charmin is pretty good despite being posh. I will admit that.

It struck me the other night to wonder about the mechanism which resulted in mankind, unlike the rest of creation, wiping his backside after doing No 2s. I was trying to envisage the first mutation of this odd behaviour pattern. Might not civilisation be traced back to such a dramatic point of departure in the same way that the megalopolis can be traced back to the water closet invented in 1596 (I think) by Sir John Harrington and first installed in the residence of Queen Elizabeth 1. The 4th centenary of this momentous event passed almost unnoticed in 1996 and it would have gone entirely unnoticed but for my own prodigious efforts.

Imagine New York without water closets.

Necessity truly is the mother of invention.

It's odd how such an important section of the workforce as that which shifts the **** with such discretion is rewarded with a fraction of the wages to be had arguing about blood clotting in a Dover court and writing biased articles reporting it to keep the bandwagon rolling.

In a materialist world too. That's very odd. One would think, on well established scientific economic principles, that it would be the other way round considering the discrepancy in working conditions and the demand for the service if it remains undistorted by spiritual considerations as it would under the exigensies of materialist rigour.

They certainly did build a better mousetrap did those ****-shifters but the world doesn't beat a path to their doors. It steers around them.

Holy ****!

Have you any ideas?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:26 pm
But just imagine two materialist noticing what their wives are doing. It's well known what a wife is to a materialist.

And now we have prised out of timber that he goes to restaurants and dinner parties in "pretty nice" venues. The staff have to wear uniforms in pretty nice restaurants. It's a tradition. It adds unnecessary costs to the food as do a whole range of other items in such places. Thus the participants can show observers how well off they are being able to afford the extraordinary prices. And they are extraordinary. The pious have to be shown to their table. You're not allowed to grab the seat next to where the wine waitress is serving the alcoholic bouquets. (11%). There's a pecking order established by palm greasing and back scratching.

As I explained earlier in the week, it's spiritual. It satisfies a spiritual need. It has places of worship. Icons. Reverence for agreed proprietries. Collection plates called tills. (If the till rings its's a dump.). It's own special language with French accents. It's calming.

You'll wish you had never admitted that timber. But adding the "pretty nice" will not be forgotten either. Spick and span bogs I suppose.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:32 pm
And then he goes bargain hunting when it comes to activities not on public view.

Everybody knows what happens to bargain bog paper when you put a little pressure on it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:07 pm
Thanks for the glimpse into timber-home-life and the spendi-brain. I just fininsied laying the lino in the bathroom, I have to put the fixutres in now, see y'all in a few days!
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:21 am
Quote:

A small amount of evidence which goes towards supporting my long held hypothesis that the educational system is run on behalf of teachers etc (adults generally) and that the spurious claim that the kids are damaged by such things as "teach the controvesy" or even Creationism is just a scapegoat and distraction strategy to foist the blame elsewhere.

And fancy it being progressive to start at 8.30 am. That's the middle of the night to a teenager but the teacher's daily routines come first so it's "get up you lazy sod".

12.00 is a much better time to start the school day. With a 3 pm finish.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:35 am
from an article that spendi quoted
Quote:
finally the yanking off of the duvet ?
. Thats why, I feel that British English and American English are galaxies apart Shocked
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:11 am
Is that because you don't do duvets or yankings off fm, or both?
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:23 am
Or is it the "off of" ?

It struck me that when the newspaper appeared in the porches of small towns that contained the quote wande brings us, him obviously having an eagle eye out for such things, it is not an every night of the week occurence for the readers. It has something of the quality of novelty.Some of the things said are new to them. It coincides with when the meetings are and the publicity is handed out. Nobody would read about meetings concerning the janitor's compensation claim over the wobbly step or the one about one of the members going on a fact finding mission anywhere they have warm sandy beaches and sultry twilights. So "Teach the Controvesy".

But it is not a novelty to the readers of this thread. They are in danger of being given a strong dose of small-townitis a condition delineated by Grace Metallious and depicted in Twin Peaks.(Which was brilliant-- an assertion I can justify- to my own satisfaction at least.)

The quote from the ST I gave above is a bit of a novelty and with the twist I gave it even moreso. It is about teenage education after all.

We have got the main points wande. Goodstyle. We should be looking at the detail and the wider picture not "Stuck in the middle with you". We are Faustians and as such the infinite and the infinitessimal are our objectives.

Any new viewer who we interest with what he/she finds currently being discussed will take the trouble to look back and thus pick up the gist. Anyone who isn't interested enough to do that is hardly interested at all.

Some statistics about differences in social behaviour patters in rural and urban areas, which it is reasonable to say have been influenced by the education in those areas, would be a novelty.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:14 am
spendius wrote:
We have got the main points wande. Goodstyle. We should be looking at the detail and the wider picture not "Stuck in the middle with you". We are Faustians and as such the infinite and the infinitessimal are our objectives.

Any new viewer who we interest with what he/she finds currently being discussed will take the trouble to look back and thus pick up the gist. Anyone who isn't interested enough to do that is hardly interested at all.

Some statistics about differences in social behaviour patters in rural and urban areas, which it is reasonable to say have been influenced by the education in those areas, would be a novelty.

I think I agree with part of what you say, spendi, if I understand correctly. My posts seem somewhat repetitious since the main points of the debate have been expressed over and over again. I was trying to post current news items to show how anti-evolution tactics are changing.

Some posters seem willing to debate the sociological issues that you bring up. Feel free to continue, spendi.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:22 pm
Worthwhile to note is that objection to/rejection of the science of evolution uniformly devolves to an essentially fundamentalist religious POV, and is expressed exclusively via populist, non-scientific/academic - largely vanity/self-published - out-of-the-mainstream, minority/contrarian literature, media, and websites, typically of religious affilliation.

While there exist within the legitimate scientific/academic communities open questions and assorted points of dispute pertaining to certain particulars of the mechanics of evolution, there exists within the legitimate scientific/academic communities no dispute or question of the FACT of evolution - "Darwinian" or otherwise (Cosmologic and Geologic, for instance). Even the mainstream, non-fundamentalist, major religious institutions have no functional dispute with the science of evolution, seeing no conflict between the spiritual and the empirical; by any intellectually honest approach, the two are matters of entirely separate consideration.

Quite simply, there is nothing in science which contradicts the Theory of Evolution, and ongoing research and discovery serve only to broaden understanding and to further confirm evolution, at all scales from the cosmologic to the sub-molecular.

Those who perceive there to be a "Problem" with evolution in fact have no science - no evidence whatsoever - in support of their specious, ill-informed, logically absurd objections, but rather they have a problem stemming from whatever religio-spiritual belief set they happen personally to embrace.

Rejection of evolution is at once bad science and bad theology, entailing both misunderstanding of science and misapplication of theology; it is ignorance, fear and superstition, nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:43 pm
Sounds right to me; there is something in science that might/will one day countermand evolution though, that being the heat death of the universe; on another dark note if you like penetrating into various realms, y'all might like this thread
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:49 am
timber wrote-

Quote:
Worthwhile to note is that objection to/rejection of the science of evolution uniformly devolves to an essentially fundamentalist religious POV, and is expressed exclusively via populist, non-scientific/academic - largely vanity/self-published - out-of-the-mainstream, minority/contrarian literature, media, and websites, typically of religious affilliation.

That is not true and thus it being "worthwhile to note" is not true as well.

To begin with, the debate is not about anyone on here, which is where the debate is, objecting to or rejecting the science of evolution or anyone expressing such objections in the manner suggested.

Once again timber is erecting his own coconut-shy and positioning it so that he can't miss and then claiming credit for having done this fabulous feat.

The objection is to teaching evolution science in schools which must, by the very nature of that science and the real situation in schools and the communities within which they are embedded, be exclusive and disqualify any teaching which relies on non-material explanations for anything.

In essentialist theory a ball bearing has the property of roundness and so also does the steel from which it is made.

The ball bearing has this property of roundness essentially but the steel has it accidentally. The accident being human action. The steel could have a vast range of shapes depending on human choice but the ball bearing has only one shape otherwise it ceases to be a ball bearing whereas the steel remains steel whatever shape it is in.

Similarly, evolution theory has a quality of intellectual roundness which human action cannot disturb but only observe and play with. Otherwise the theory is falsified.

What it does is satisfy a need for order and coherence and expresses a fear of disorder which is, fortunately, a characteristic of human behaviour.
It also expresses a fear of mystery and unfathomable complexity and provides a comfort station of simple certainties.

The error timber is constantly prone to is to compare unlike things.

By doing so he removes human considerations and actions stemming from them which one might presume he distrusts, and, it should be said, not without some justification. Whether such justifications are sufficient for his case is a matter of an opinion probably resulting from the pessimism/ optimism continuum.

He does not see a difference between knowledge and the use to which knowledge can be put by human choices which is a subject for the Politics thread.

In the last analysis he thinks knowledge itself is supreme over the social consequences of it. Under the exigencies of such a view human society and organisation becomes a rigidly determined object, like the ball bearing, from which freedom, individuality and choice are eliminated.

The evolution of traffic patterns, particularly in urban areas, shows a marked drift towards the elimination of the same things and with speculations about the driverless vehicle which has already appeared in the cropping of large fields and in many other activities.

timber is correct if he allows that the ultimate destination of his ideas is human automata as in Brave New World (using conditioning) and 1984 (using terror). This will not only be crime free but will also be imagination free (as city drivers are) and thus the end of science.

As a child of the evolution theory timber follows, slavishly, the spirit of the time which gives priority to the idea over human reality. In the composition of his high flown rhetoric he must float clear off the ground.

Like the vandal destroying the telephone kiosk, who takes advantage of the existence of other telephones for him to use in an emergency, timber takes advantage of the fact that we are not automata to argue that we should become so and were we to be in that condition he would have no mental facilities to have the ideas he has or, for that matter, any ideas at all.

Thinking of origins in a non-miraculous way is a product of the Enlightenment generally and Darwinism particularly. It was hardly possible before that and therefore such thinking constitutes a dramatic mutation which has nowhere near had enough time to prove itself a success and many voices are being heard even at the highest level which are suggesting it may well be a disaster. Should it turn out to be a disaster the mutation would have been dysfunctional, Galileo off his trolley and The Pope last man standing.

The scientific revolution produced a new ideology of progress in material living rather than any cultural progress. Munch, Goya, Picasso and Warhol are unthinkable before the Enlightenment.

The success, if such it is, of this ideology in improving material life is then taken to be a confirmation of its validity and the notion of "improving" is an entirely materialistic one and thus subjective.

It is also taken for granted that further material progress in the future will continue to benefit the population and social health generally with no account taken of the fact that the very success of the scientific revolution has profoundly altered the environment from what it was 200 years ago just like guano has altered the islands which were most popular with the birds that produced it.

Propaganda by ideologues for materialism thus stresses the benefits of material progress and downplays, ignores even, the negative consequences and possible consequences of it and is cheer-leadered by institutions, such as media, which have most to gain from it.

One thing seems certain though and it is that material progress, even at our levels, causes us some stress and renders us all difficult to live with and we mitigate these effects by recourse to drugs, penal sanctions and the law which results in the institutions which provide these joining with the media in promoting the materialist cause.

"Who gains?"- Miles Copeland. The Game of Nations.

The prime Lamarckian notion of changing the static Chain of Being into an upwardly directed escalator, his notion of inherited acquired characteristics being a minor matter in his thinking, needs to envisage a destination somewhere other than a farm in the wilds of my favourite state of the Union.

The main principle of evolution theory is that it distinguishes, invidiously, the all embracing developments in species from the development of individuality and it is bound therefore to treat individuality as deviance.

Henry Ford said that customers could have any colour of car they wanted so long as it was black. Progress has given us a choice of colour now (big deal) whilst rendering us automata when driving and even out walking and it might be said that we only have an illusion of choice in the form of style and status signifiers (spiritual entities of course) and which readily evolve into contentless formuli and eventually into madness and into factory farmed humans like chickens.

PS. Huxley only resorted to the far-fetched bottle reproduction techniques to save the blushes of Home Counties matrons.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:05 pm
spendius wrote:
In essentialist theory a ball bearing has the property of roundness and so also does the steel from which it is made.

The ball bearing has this property of roundness essentially but the steel has it accidentally. The accident being human action. The steel could have a vast range of shapes depending on human choice but the ball bearing has only one shape otherwise it ceases to be a ball bearing whereas the steel remains steel whatever shape it is in.

http://varifrank.com/images/bogie_wouk.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:19 pm
Witty.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
Thanks for being good-natured about that, spendi.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:30 pm
Aw shucks wande, it ain't nuthin'.

Being good natured works.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:57 pm
In keeping with the present air of accommodation and fellowship, I shall endeavor to treat spendi's most recent response to me as fairly, non-judgementally, and charitably as may be acheived given the circumstances and presents of that response. Here goes:

spendius wrote:
timber wrote-

Quote:

That is not true and thus it being "worthwhile to note" is not true as well.

• I submit that you cannot demonstrate the statement as made to be false.
  • I submit the available evidence, scientific, academic, judicial, legislative, and theologic, confirms the statement. I submit you cannot produce any independent, peer-reviewed, published, confirmed and/or externally cited work supportive of Creationism/ID-iocy.
  • I submit that objection to/rejection of the science of evolution uniformly devolves to an essentially fundamentalist religious POV, and is expressed exclusively via populist, non-scientific/academic - largely vanity/self-published - out-of-the-mainstream, minority/contrarian literature, media, and websites, typically of religious affilliation, and challenge you to demonstrate that other be so.
  • I submit that by your failure to meet that challenge, you and your proposition will stand self exposed as counter factual, without evidence, insupportable, mendacious, duplicitous, and otherwise fraudulent.

Quote:
To begin with, the debate is not about anyone on here, which is where the debate is, objecting to or rejecting the science of evolution or anyone expressing such objections in the manner suggested.

Once again timber is erecting his own coconut-shy and positioning it so that he can't miss and then claiming credit for having done this fabulous feat.

Bullshit. The matter at debate in this discussion, by the discussion title, is "Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion", with the issue at debate being the mandated inclusion in the curriculae of publically funded institutions of education of Creationism/ID-iocy as other than a socio-philosophical construct.

Quote:
The objection is to teaching evolution science in schools which must, by the very nature of that science and the real situation in schools and the communities within which they are embedded, be exclusive and disqualify any teaching which relies on non-material explanations for anything.

Bullshit. The notion that the Creationist/ID-iocy proposition offers ANY legitimate, objective, scientifically valid, academically sound, intellectually honest " ... explanations for anything" is absurd on its very face. The only honest defence of Creationist/ID-iot proposition is that it provides to its proponents comfort consistent with and derived from the religiospiritual belief sets embraced by said proponents.

Quote:

Similarly, evolution theory has a quality of intellectual roundness which human action cannot disturb but only observe and play with. Otherwise the theory is falsified.

Non sequitur, irrelevant, meaningless sophistry, entirely empty of substantive, topical content, counter to fact; absurd.

Quote:
What it does is satisfy a need for order and coherence and expresses a fear of disorder which is, fortunately, a characteristic of human behaviour.
It also expresses a fear of mystery and unfathomable complexity and provides a comfort station of simple certainties.

Bullshit. The Theory of Evolution satisfies the requirements entailed by objective, critical, intellectually honest observation and consideration of the available evidence, irrespective of the wants, needs, preferances, certainties, uncertainties, preconconceptions, prejudices, superstitions, or fears of any group or individual.

Quote:
The error timber is constantly prone to is to compare unlike things.

Bullshit. Foundational to the position you forward is the fallacy that the Creationist/ID-iot proposition has claim to legitimacy independent of self-referential religiospiritual consideration, and further that by extension said proposition serve in some manner to improve or otherwise enhance the human condition.

Quote:
By doing so he removes human considerations and actions stemming from them which one might presume he distrusts, and, it should be said, not without some justification. Whether such justifications are sufficient for his case is a matter of an opinion probably resulting from the pessimism/ optimism continuum.

He does not see a difference between knowledge and the use to which knowledge can be put by human choices which is a subject for the Politics thread.

In the last analysis he thinks knowledge itself is supreme over the social consequences of it. Under the exigencies of such a view human society and organisation becomes a rigidly determined object, like the ball bearing, from which freedom, individuality and choice are eliminated.

Bullshit. Your "Social Consequences" objection/argument is empty, specious, irrelevant, without evidence, purely opinion without supporting evidence, composed entirely of sophistry, deriving from, enabling, and promoting fear, ignorance, and superstition.

Quote:
The evolution of traffic patterns, particularly in urban areas, shows a marked drift towards the elimination of the same things and with speculations about the driverless vehicle which has already appeared in the cropping of large fields and in many other activities.

timber is correct if he allows that the ultimate destination of his ideas is human automata as in Brave New World (using conditioning) and 1984 (using terror). This will not only be crime free but will also be imagination free (as city drivers are) and thus the end of science.

As a child of the evolution theory timber follows, slavishly, the spirit of the time which gives priority to the idea over human reality. In the composition of his high flown rhetoric he must float clear off the ground.

Like the vandal destroying the telephone kiosk, who takes advantage of the existence of other telephones for him to use in an emergency, timber takes advantage of the fact that we are not automata to argue that we should become so and were we to be in that condition he would have no mental facilities to have the ideas he has or, for that matter, any ideas at all.

Bullshit. Non sequitur, irrelevant, counterfactual, red herring, straw man, and again opinion without supporting evidence - an assertion comprising a falsehood; a lie. Nothing in the Theory of Evolution, nor the position relevant thereunto as presented either by legitimate, mainstream science, academia, and theologia or by myself so much as implies let alone entails any such thing, condition, or state of being as you allege; to the contrary, inherent to your presentments would be at once the denial of free will and the imposition on human freedom of thought and action a modality of purely religiospiritual construct.

Quote:
Thinking of origins in a non-miraculous way is a product of the Enlightenment generally and Darwinism particularly. It was hardly possible before that and therefore such thinking constitutes a dramatic mutation which has nowhere near had enough time to prove itself a success and many voices are being heard even at the highest level which are suggesting it may well be a disaster. Should it turn out to be a disaster the mutation would have been dysfunctional, Galileo off his trolley and The Pope last man standing.

Bullshit. Argumentum ad populam, argumentum ad ignorantium, argumentum ad incredulum, specious, sophistic, duplicitous to the point of consciously mendacious misrepresentation of the facts at hand.

Quote:
The scientific revolution produced a new ideology of progress in material living rather than any cultural progress. Munch, Goya, Picasso and Warhol are unthinkable before the Enlightenment.

The success, if such it is, of this ideology in improving material life is then taken to be a confirmation of its validity and the notion of "improving" is an entirely materialistic one and thus subjective.

Bullshit. Legitimate Science by definition and function is wholly objective, self-critical, self-correcting, self-directing, and foundationally open-ended, with the ongoing, accellerating improvement of the overall human condition attendant thereto, dependent thereon and wholly descendent therefrom being a circumstance, a thing, condition, or state of being, entirely independent of any ideology. Absent science, disease, famine, despair, disenfranchisement, and despotism, both secular and sectarian, would be far more component to the overall human condition than contemporarilly they are. Science is not ideology, it is the antidote to ideology, and only in the past half millenium or so has that antidote begun to counter the effects of ideology. The patient - humankind - while as yet not entirely well, is far, far less unwell than had been the case since having ventured from the forrest into the savannah, thanks due entirely to the burgeoning triumph of science over ignorance and ideology.

Quote:
It is also taken for granted that further material progress in the future will continue to benefit the population and social health generally with no account taken of the fact that the very success of the scientific revolution has profoundly altered the environment from what it was 200 years ago just like guano has altered the islands which were most popular with the birds that produced it.

Propaganda by ideologues for materialism thus stresses the benefits of material progress and downplays, ignores even, the negative consequences and possible consequences of it and is cheer-leadered by institutions, such as media, which have most to gain from it. One thing seems certain though and it is that material progress, even at our levels, causes us some stress and renders us all difficult to live with and we mitigate these effects by recourse to drugs, penal sanctions and the law which results in the institutions which provide these joining with the media in promoting the materialist cause.

"Who gains?"- Miles Copeland. The Game of Nations.

The prime Lamarckian notion of changing the static Chain of Being into an upwardly directed escalator, his notion of inherited acquired characteristics being a minor matter in his thinking, needs to envisage a destination somewhere other than a farm in the wilds of my favourite state of the Union.

Bullshit. Your birdshit anology is birdbrained, as is your focus on "negative consequences", as so are your implied and explicit allegations that there be any such thing as a campaign to promote "materialism" to the gain or other benefit of any institution. I submit again, your "Social Consequences" proposition is foundationless, entirely without merit, specious, wholly irrelevant. Your proposition if full of **** and you forward that proposition in bullshit manner - circumstances mutually dependendent on one another.

Quote:
The main principle of evolution theory is that it distinguishes, invidiously, the all embracing developments in species from the development of individuality and it is bound therefore to treat individuality as deviance.

Henry Ford said that customers could have any colour of car they wanted so long as it was black. Progress has given us a choice of colour now (big deal) whilst rendering us automata when driving and even out walking and it might be said that we only have an illusion of choice in the form of style and status signifiers (spiritual entities of course) and which readily evolve into contentless formuli and eventually into madness and into factory farmed humans like chickens.

PS. Huxley only resorted to the far-fetched bottle reproduction techniques to save the blushes of Home Counties matrons.

Bullshit. The main principle of evolution theory is that the nature of living things is observed to be consistent with the known laws, accepted theories, and well-tested principles of mathematics, cosmology, physics, chemistry, geology, and biology. Regardless what you or anyone else may think of it, the theory of evolution is not a matter of ideology, it is a matter of logical deduction based on broad, independendent, multi-disciplinary, consistently corroborative, wholly uncontradicted observation, correlation, and objective, empirical, critical, even skeptical, consideration of the best available data. The only ideology operative in the issue is that religiospritual ideology which perceives itself - rightly so - to be threatened by the entirely non-ideologic approach and effect of legitimate science. Opposition to/rejection of The Theory of Evolution, and advocacy for such, amount to nothing other than denial of curiosity, imagination, discovery, knowledge, and understanding; rejection of science overall with consequent opposition to the advance and improvement of the overall human condition. Perhaps the most damning indictment of the Creationist/ID-iot proposition is to be found in the very fact that said proposition illegitimately, dishonestly, mendaciously represents science to be ideology.

There - that's out of the way.

I do hope, spendi, that you and yours all are well, and may continue to be so. It is my sincere wish you take the entirety of the foregoing in the spirit intended, and perhaps profit thereby.

Of course, if wishes were fishes ... Twisted Evil
0 Replies