Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Chumly

Thu 4 Jan, 2007 10:54 pm
Random mutations alone are also capable of "tossing them aside" even if they are "needed".

I'm not sure of the evidence for random mutations alone (minus fitness) "being capable of building the most wonderful structures".
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:14 pm
An interesting (if perhaps shopworn) adjunct
Quote:
At the risk of belaboring the obvious, let me also point out that, in the context of natural science, the phrase "not directed" means "not directed by any predictable and verifiable natural force or agent." The question of whether random events are being directed by any metaphysical force or agency (be it fate or deity or what have you) is a question outside the scope of natural science.

I mention this because too many people today hear the phrase "not directed" and immediately leap to the conclusion that science is making dogmatic and religious assertions about God not being in any way involved in the operation of natural forces. In fact, science is not addressing the religious aspects of the question at all, it is speaking only of the natural aspects of the question and whether any natural direction in involved. Being clear about this distinction would help avoid giving creationists the opportunity to accuse science of promoting a religious and anti-Christian agenda.

http://evolgen.blogspot.com/2005/06/random-mutation-and-natural-selection.html
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:16 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
Some of life's most marvelous structures are its smallest

And perhaps not surprisingly, they also took the longest to evolve. Fully three quarters of the history of life on earth was spent in the evolution of single cells, which layed the groundwork for multicellular life.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:51 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Hey sir, I do this for fun.

If ya ain't havin' fun, yer doin' it wrong.

Quote:
I enjoy discussing things.

Me too.

Quote:
Now if you want only PhD scientists on the board, just say so.

Straw man by inferrence, and argumentum ad absurdam into the bargain.

Quote:
I do not claim to be a scientist and I accepted that I was unqualified to discuss this stuff with the likes of you, and I intended to leave the thread. I only stayed because Thomas was gracious and invited a conversation. I'm sorry if that offends your scholarly sensibilities.

Nor do I claim to be a scientist; I simply take issue with those who take issue with science invalidly ... such as those given to mischaracterizing - whether in honest ignorance or through willful duplicity - what science "is", "does" or "says", for instance.

Quote:
Please post your documentation that 'splitting the atom' was a universally accepted concept from the beginning and I'll take it back.

Straw man: I did not claim splitting the atom " ... was a universally accepted concept rom the begnning ..." However, the beginnings of functional understanding of the nature and structure of the atom came in the last decades of the 19th Century - and "getting at" why and how it had the properties revealed through advancing technology and research methodology, "taking it apart to see what makes it tick" was the focus of seriously studying the atom and its components. Anyhow,Here ya go - note particularly the Ruherford article:
Quote:
... By bombarding nitrogen with alpha particles, Rutherford demonstrated the production of a different element, oxygen. "Playing with marbles" is what he called it; the newspapers reported that Rutherford had "split the atom."

Quote:
Nevertheless, it [the reference is to breaking the sound barrier - timber] was not generally accepted as a possibility at first. And many did not devote themselves to getting the job done.

Many scientists today do not "devote themselves" to genetic engineering, or to artificial intelligence - so what? This Wikipedia article demonstrates the error of your assertion pertaining to what science "said" or "thought" of breaking the sound barrier.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that you are intentionally being contentious and refusing to see my point. Which is correct, by the way.

Calling for accuracy in argument, noting and correcting error when such error is foundational to the argument at discussion hardly may be termed pejoratively as "being contentious"; it is a valid - and critically functional - practice of forensics; honesty and accuracy pretty much are what the open and honest exchange of ideas is all about.

Quote:
Yeah I can [The reference is to providing evidence supporting Fox's assertion: " ... almost every day or at least frequently you see something that the scientific community once delcared to be fact to be effectively disproved ... " - timber[/i]] , but I won't, because I frankly don't care enough to take the time and I am pretty darn sure you wouldn't accept anything I posted anyway.

I submit again you cannot provide evidence to support that assertion. And regardlees of what you might be sure, I find nothing much to argue with when it comes to evidenced, established, verifiable fact - opinion and innaccuracy are other matters entirely, but facts - if, when, and as demonstrated to be facts, are facts. That one presenting an assertion which has been challenged doesn't "care enough to take the time" to answer said challenge is telling in and of itself.

Quote:
I did misspeak and intended to say that Spinoza was excommunicated because of his advocacy for Aristotle.

Fair enough - you didn't mean Copernicus. However, while Spinoza, a Sephardic Jew, was placed under edict by writ of Cherem (though frequently referred to as "excommunication" even in Jewish writings, Cherem - technically more akin to "Shunning" than to excommunication as levied by Church authority - is a very different concept than Christian excommunication) issued by the the governing rabbis of Amsterdam's Synagogue Talmud Torah, The Church did not - in fact could not have had it wanted to - excommunicate Spinoza; not only was he not a Catholic, he wasn't even a Christian, he was a Jew. Furthermore, the Jewish sanction laid against Spinoza had nothing to do with Aristotle. For an informed, authoritative discussion of Spinoza's "excommunication", see This.

Quote:
I submit that you are incorrect re Copernicus who was inded excommunicated as I learned at the knee of Bishop Spong, Episcopal Bishop and a scholar on this stuff in his own right and also via the seminary curriculum of University of the South, Sewanee. Because such were exhonerated by later Popes does not alter the fact that they definitely were not in favor with the Church at the time.

I submit no edict, writ, decree, bull, pronouncement, or finding of Excommunication naming either Copernicus or Galileo ever was issued, no record or mention of any such is to be found in any Vatican archive or other authoritative Church writing - regardless what you were taught by whom where, neither man was excommunicated - threatened with excommunication in Galileo's case, yes, but neither man was excommunicated.

Quote:
I don't believe that I mentioned Galileo, but its nice of you to show off a lot of nice cut and pastes re that.

No, you didn't mention Galileo, I brought that in for Galileo's relationship with Copernican writings and his foundational role in the Churchly disputes pertaining to the Copernican System, which disputes were due proximately and soley to Galileo's writings. As for "cut and pastes", I know the material, know where to find it, and produced it to illustrate and refute, through authoritative cite, the error upon which your challenged assertions were predicate.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But as ignorant as I surely am regarding science,

Among other things, including as just demonstrated, history.

As you wish.

Not as I wish - as your posts have demonstrated.

Quote:
Quote:

There's a big difference between "open mind" and "uninformed, uncritical, unthinking credulity"

I accept that as your point of view.

Do you dispute the difference?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nevertheless I will not attempt to argue the point further.

Perhaps all for the best - pending broadening of your education sufficiently as to provide working familiarity with the salient points at discussion, at least.

And thank you very much for your warm, cordial, unjudgmental manner in informing me I'm a complete idiot. I'm sure I should appreciate it.

Appreciate it or dismiss it, it was offered in all sincerity. If one wishes to be taken seriously in a serious discussion, that one does well to avoid factual error. I submit that while my comment there may not have been non-judgemental, the validity of that comment's observation is well illustrated. Note well I do not attack you, I attack your proposition and the manner by which you present and support that proposition.

Quote:
Anyway, I tried to leave earlier and I'll follow my own advice in doing so at this time.

Have a great evening.

Run away if you want to, leaving your proposition, as you have presented it, in tatters, but no need to leave, and certainly no need to think your comments are unwelcome or out of place simply because they meet with challenge and correction. That's what discussion and debate are for ... that's the way the game is played.

Thanks, and you have a great evening too - I generally have a pretty good time in these discussions; that's the whole point of these excercizes, after all. If ya ain't havin' fun, yer doin' it wrong.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:21 am
In the first response to wande's original question e brown posted-

Quote:
Yes there is a consensus in the scientific community.

By scientific community I mean all conventional scientific organizations which accept the scientific process (for example publishing in peer reviewed journals) which encompasses the great majority of scientists.

The consensus is that Intelligent Design is not scientifically valid.

Obviously. End of thread.

But the thread took a turn into considering American schooling in 2006 and has proceeded accordingly for 879 pages and seemingly with not a little interest from non-contributing viewers.

In practice that is the topic.

The last few pages are thus off topic because they do not even attempt to address the social consequences of an educational system geared exclusively to scientific principles and are mere academic disputes of little or no relevance to the judges and politicians whose task it is to run a country effectively.

Anyone wishing to return to wande's original question need only read e brown's post. The idea of intelligent design is not scientific, except in regard to social science, because it is neither provable nor falsifiable. It is entirely emotional. It is a last ditch attempt to hold off the triumph of pure, unadulterated scientism which is seen by proponents of intelligent design (not Intelligent Design) as impossible to live with and destructive of national interests.

It is a very difficult subject to address and the thread's recent regression into what are simple areas by comparison suggests these are being used as a form of escapism and provide a facilty for avoiding the very real challenge which these issues raise.

Those who refuse to discuss that aspect of the matter have introduced a series of red herrings which cannot but derail the thread as it has evolved and the suspicion is that they fear to consider this matter because they know that it will expose the unreality of their positions.

It is one thing to discredit a particular notion of a deity formulated thousands of years ago but to abandon the notion of any deity is, in my view, something our societies are not ready for.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:33 am
spendius wrote:
Steve quoted-

Quote:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;

Don't be so ridiculous Steve. Of course it was founded on the Christian religion. They had done the totem poles and the sun worship.

Laughing Yeah they went rapidly downhill after pow wows and wigwams.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:55 am
Is that serious Steve?

If it is what do you mean?

If not- no matter.

One might say though that everything someone says is serious in some way. Even jests.

So what does "downhill" mean?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:37 am
Part 1 of Book Six of Henry Fielding's fabulous novel Tom Jones if here appended for those who it may interest-

Quote:
OF LOVE

In our last book we have been obliged to deal pretty much with the passion of love; and in our succeeding book shall be forced to handle this subject still more largely. It may not therefore in this place be improper to apply ourselves to the examination of that modern doctrine, by which certain philosophers, among many other wonderful discoveries, pretend to have found out, that there is no such passion in the human breast.

Whether these philosophers be the same with that surprising sect, who are honourably mentioned by the late Dr. Swift, as having, by the mere force of genius alone, without the least assistance of any kind of learning, or even reading, discovered that profound and invaluable secret that there is no God; or whether they are not rather the same with those who some years since very much alarmed the world, by showing that there were no such things as virtue or goodness really existing in human nature, and who deduced our best actions from pride, I will not here presume to determine. In reality, I am inclined to suspect, that all these several finders of truth, are the very identical men who are by others called the finders of gold. The method used in both these searches after truth and after gold, being indeed one and the same, viz., the searching, rummaging, and examining into a nasty place; indeed, in the former instances, into the nastiest of all places, A BAD MIND.

But though in this particular, and perhaps in their success, the truth-finder and the gold-finder may very properly be compared together; yet in modesty, surely, there can be no comparison between the two; for who ever heard of a gold-finder that had the impudence or folly to assert, from the ill success of his search, that there was no such thing as gold in the world? whereas the truth-finder, having raked out that jakes, his own mind, and being there capable of tracing no ray of divinity, nor anything virtuous or good, or lovely, or loving, very fairly, honestly, and logically concludes that no such things exist in the whole creation.

To avoid, however, all contention, if possible, with these philosophers, if they will be called so; and to show our own disposition to accommodate matters peaceably between us, we shall here make them some concessions, which may possibly put an end to the dispute.

First, we will grant that many minds, and perhaps those of the philosophers, are entirely free from the least traces of such a passion.

Secondly, that what is commonly called love, namely, the desire of satisfying a voracious appetite with a certain quantity of delicate white human flesh, is by no means that passion for which I here contend. This is indeed more properly hunger; and as no glutton is ashamed to apply the word love to his appetite, and to say he LOVES such and such dishes; so may the lover of this kind, with equal propriety, say, he HUNGERS after such and such women.

Thirdly, I will grant, which I believe will be a most acceptable concession, that this love for which I am an advocate, though it satisfies itself in a much more delicate manner, doth nevertheless seek its own satisfaction as much as the grossest of all our appetites.

And, lastly, that this love, when it operates towards one of a different sex, is very apt, towards its complete gratification, to call in the aid of that hunger which I have mentioned above; and which it is so far from abating, that it heightens all its delights to a degree scarce imaginable by those who have never been susceptible of any other emotions than what have proceeded from appetite alone.

In return to all these concessions, I desire of the philosophers to grant, that there is in some (I believe in many) human breasts a kind and benevolent disposition, which is gratified by contributing to the happiness of others. That in this gratification alone, as in friendship, in parental and filial affection, as indeed in general philanthropy, there is a great and exquisite delight. That if we will not call such disposition love, we have no name for it. That though the pleasures arising from such pure love may be heightened and sweetened by the assistance of amorous desires, yet the former can subsist alone, nor are they destroyed by the intervention of the latter. Lastly, that esteem and gratitude are the proper motives to love, as youth and beauty are to desire, and, therefore, though such desire may naturally cease, when age or sickness overtakes its object, yet these can have no effect on love, nor ever shake or remove, from a good mind, that sensation or passion which hath gratitude and esteem for its basis.

To be continued ....
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:39 am
Quote:
To deny the existence of a passion of which we often see manifest instances, seems to be very strange and absurd; and can indeed proceed only from that self-admonition which we have mentioned above: but how unfair is this! Doth the man who recognizes in his own heart no traces of avarice or ambition, conclude, therefore, that there are no such passions in human nature? Why will we not modestly observe the same rule in judging of the good, as well as the evil of others? Or why, in any case, will we, as Shakespear phrases it, "put the world in our own person?"

Predominant vanity is, I am afraid, too much concerned here. This is one instance of that adulation which we bestow on our own minds, and this almost universally. For there is scarce any man, how much soever he may despise the character of a flatterer, but will condescend in the meanest manner to flatter himself.

To those therefore I apply for the truth of the above observations, whose own minds can bear testimony to what I have advanced.

Examine your heart, my good reader, and resolve whether you do believe these matters with me. If you do, you may now proceed to their exemplification in the following pages: if you do not, you have, I assure you, already read more than you have understood; and it would be wiser to pursue your business, or your pleasures (such as they are), than to throw away any more of your time in reading what you can neither taste nor comprehend. To treat of the effects of love to you, must be as absurd as to discourse on colours to a man born blind; since possibly your idea of love may be as absurd as that which we are told such blind man once entertained of the colour scarlet; that colour seemed to him to be very much like the sound of a trumpet: and love probably may, in your opinion, very greatly resemble a dish of soup, or a surloin of roast-beef.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:44 am
spendius wrote:

To be continued ....

I've no doubt we all suspected as much - one thing ya gotta give spendi is consistency.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:46 am
I had to break the quote in two due to my incapacities with the copy function from Google.

Perhaps it is just such considerations which lead many people to hold on to a belief in a deity.

One would hardly wish for Mr Fielding to invite one to cease reading at this point or to be told that one has already read more than one has understood.

But his most telling point I feel is when he quotes Shakespeare.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:00 pm
and H Ryder Haggard quotes Queen Masalanabo Modjadji (Balobedu Rain).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:15 pm
'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves did gyre and gymbal.
0 Replies

fisherman

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:19 pm
spendius wrote:

Perhaps it is just such considerations which lead many people to hold on to a belief in a deity.

Interesting. Actually Spendius I was thinking the same regarding those who hold so tenaciously to the belief of transitional forms given the incredible lack of evidence.

Can we agree that the king is wearing no clothes?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:17 pm
fisherman wrote:
Interesting. Actually Spendius I was thinking the same regarding those who hold so tenaciously to the belief of transitional forms given the incredible lack of evidence.

Can we agree that the king is wearing no clothes?

That comment reflects a stereotypical Creationist/Id-iot misunderstanding, if not outright conscious, duplicitous misrepresentation, of what really is in the scientific record; rather than recognize and acknowledge what IS known, they sieze on gaps in what is an unarguable linear progression of evidence-based knowledge. While not all of reality - not every event, circumstance, or observable condition individually and without exception specifically is included within the individual data points from which is drawn a line on a graph, when the available data points conform to a clearly defined pattern, it is absurd to contend that pattern does not apply to the matter at study.

Partial List of Transitional Fossils Known to Science

Quote:
Why There Are No Transitional FossilsWhy are there no transitional fossils? They are ALL transitional!

fisherman provides yet one more illustration of the ignorance on which Creationism/ID-iocy is founded. In their desperation to argue for what never has been seen, what by the evidence is not there to be seen, they dispute and/or reject that which clearly is there to be seen by any with the intellectual honesty and academic integrity to see it. The Creationist/ID-iot proposition has no science of its own, no objective, independent, peer-reviewed professional or academic literature, no evidence whatsoever in support, and its proponents invariably misrepresent the actual record to the aim of implying, even outright claiming, that what is not there, and/or that which is open to dispute or otherwise unresolved, somehow invalidates the overwhelmining significance of what is there, well confirmed, and accepted as valid by preponderant - to the point of very nearly approaching statistical unity - consensus of researchers, academics, and other professionals having legitimate credentials and working experience pertaining to the matter at study.

The only "king" to be found in this matter is the Creationists'/ID-iots' purported "designer", revealed by their own specious, polemical, agenda-driven sophistic rhetoric to be not only naked but perfectly transparent.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:58 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
they sieze on gaps in what is an unarguable linear progression of evidence-based knowledge.

That very well may be but who are "they". I hope not exclusively the ones who sieze on gaps etc.

They don't include me. The photo album idea is for nursery school. Each person in it is a functioning member of the species which I doubt would be the case in an album beginning with a leg on the way to a wing which I fear would be a short album as the transition would surely lead to extinction.

If a mouse to an elephant was possible then they are really the same species.

That might be similar to a photo album where an modern Olympic 10,000 metre runner was connected to an 18th century glutton as depicted by Hogarth who had congress with an African slave and subsequent family additions were exclusively with people of African origin.

Anti-IDers on here don't sieze too readily on the points I raise. They don't even tip-toe around them. They take a wide detour. Especially on the social consequences of an exclusive scientific education proceeding for a few generations assuming the society didn't implode from trying to use reason when humans are beset with emotions.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:00 pm
spendius wrote:
That very well may be but who are "they". I hope not exclusively the ones who sieze on gaps etc.

They don't include me. The photo album idea is for nursery school. Each person in it is a functioning member of the species which I doubt would be the case in an album beginning with a leg on the way to a wing which I fear would be a short album as the transition would surely lead to extinction.

If a mouse to an elephant was possible then they are really the same species.

That might be similar to a photo album where an modern Olympic 10,000 metre runner was connected to an 18th century glutton as depicted by Hogarth who had congress with an African slave and subsequent family additions were exclusively with people of African origin.

Such a comment calls the question; do you simply, actually, honestly "not get it", or does some personal peccadillo bring you to portray yourself in such manner?

Quote:
Anti-IDers on here don't sieze too readily on the points I raise. They don't even tip-toe around them. They take a wide detour. Especially on the social consequences of an exclusive scientific education proceeding for a few generations assuming the society didn't implode from trying to use reason when humans are beset with emotions.

Were the "points" you "raise" to less resemble offal and droppings of excreta to be avoided and stepped around, as opposed to interesting artefacts to be noticed, picked up, considered, and examined with care, were your postings to these discussions to be pertinent, relevant, topical, and of any substantive, intellectually honest, academically valid, scientifically sound, recognizable value whatsoever, your experience on these boards well might be other than heretofore it has been.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:16 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Quote:

Were the "points" you "raise" to less resemble offal and droppings of excreta to be avoided and stepped around, as opposed to interesting artefacts to be noticed, picked up, considered, and examined with care, were your postings to these discussions to be pertinent, relevant, topical, and of any substantive, intellectually honest, academically valid, scientifically sound, recognizable value whatsoever, your experience on these boards well might be other than heretofore it has been.

Exactly.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:20 pm
Well said timber.

That's one of your more stylish versions.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:23 pm
Thanks, spendi, glad you enjoyed it - If ya ain't havin fun, yer doin' it wrong.
0 Replies