Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

cicerone imposter

Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:18 pm
spendi, It's really sad to see your sense of boredom with science. Somewhere along the line, you lost the fascination for the wonder of revelation; what makes our environment tick. You have surrendered to ID instead; that's really boring.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:56 pm
I was simply reporting what I have observed. People find science boring.

Especially the ladies.

You two are obviously confusing science with what goes on in those brief programmes where carefully edited film is accompanied by religious music and the reverent and hushed priestly tones of a silken voiced narrator.

They show you a distant galaxy without mentioning that a team took five years of poring over photographs of the heavens to find it. If they put the five years on the screen you might be talking science at last.

Hollywood science is not science. It's show business. It picks out the successful bits and glamourises them. The long, slow and labourious slog is not shown. And it is not shown precisely because it is boring in the extreme.

Your response is actually pagan but I suppose that is to be expected from anti-IDers.

What is there, the inert stuff and the determined life forms, is not fascinating in itself. It is your own awe at it being discovered for you that fascinates you and that is anthropomorphic and egotistical. You are successfully flattered. You are led to believe that you are cleverer than you are by experts at the art.

How many people do you know who can explain the enrichment process the Iranians are supposed to be working on. I doubt 1 in a 100 knows what an isotope is. They have become "bogeyman" words. Show a video of some polished pipes and vessels, drop in such words and hey presto they want to bomb Iran.

Human imagination and human activity are much more interesting.

If you are "really sad" c.i. for what I presume you see as my pitiful state I can only say cheer up old boy. You rightly ought to be "really sad" for the thousands of millions who live a life in a miles more pitiful state than I'm in and for the hundreds of thousands and millions as yet unborn who have nothing but a life of misery to endure after people like you, with your travelling bug, have rendered the environment close to unbearable.

Those are the ones I'm sad for. I doubt one Emperor of Rome would refuse to swap places with me if he had had the chance. Save your sadness for those who deserve it and try to avoid squandering it just for the sake of a gratuitous insult directed my way and which results in a sacred word having any meaning crushed out of it. When your rhetoric descends into such self-flattering and irresponsible trivia you have thouroughly discredited your own argument.

fm- Check out TV ratings and movie receipts. Be scientific for a change.

Sex, murder and mayhem sells like hot cakes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:21 pm
spendi, It's not gratuitous; it's a fact you'll never understand.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:34 pm
Not another assertion c.i. Two actually.

For goodness sakes.

I do not believe you were "really sad" at what you claimed is my predicament. An incorrect claim as well.

Your usage was entirely gratuitous assuming you weren't weeping or wringing your hands in grief and I do assume that. Tell me I'm wrong and I will apologise.

Genuine sadness does not pass when you move to the next post or switch the TV on. Thus you take a sacred word of great importance and shred it for your own purpose. That's gratuitous in my book. Especially with the "really" added.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:39 pm
I didn't say "I" was sad. I said "it's really sad"...a rhetorical comment about your "condition."
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Sun 17 Dec, 2006 03:23 pm
spendius wrote:
I was simply reporting what I have observed. People find science boring.

Especially the ladies.

Maybe the ladies you know. Which I guess is not too surprising.
But please do not speak for people you don't know.

P (one who finds science quite interesting)
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 17 Dec, 2006 03:34 pm
Well "it" being something" has no evidence for it without you thinking it.

If I was you I would knock off that sort of stuff.

It is not "really sad" that I find science boring these days. I watched the whole of the BBC's Light Fantastic series last year but I was aware of the false impression it was creating that science is one long train of astonishing discoveries.

You may not understand that but it isn't really sad. Not even slightly. If you took Spengler on rather than dramatic articles you might even see the point yourself. Those articles and programmes are made to take the drudgery and boredom out of sight for the consumer and to facilitate his self-flattering conception of himself as understanding science.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 17 Dec, 2006 04:17 pm
Pauligirli wrote-

Quote:
Maybe the ladies you know. Which I guess is not too surprising.
But please do not speak for people you don't know.

I agree. Perhaps you might think it advice worth taking.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:51 pm
COBB COUNTY GEORGIA UPDATE

Quote:
Evolution warnings don't stick
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 02:08 pm
And she's still super?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:24 pm
She might have influential contacts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:36 pm
The only "influential" contacts would be the voters in her state.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 05:09 pm
We appoint the superintendents via the school board in PA. I went to look up what happened to Both Richard Nilsen (Supreintendent) and Michael Baksa (assn superintendent) Both of these dudes were heavily supportive of The IDesr but , during their testimony (actually only Baksa testified) , They had conviently not recalled that the superintendents office had handed out a series of Creationist/ID texts. Those guys shoulda been fired but maybe theres some contractual issue that would screw up the works. (Like maybe the newly cash strapped Dover school district would have t buy out the remaining contract period of these turkeys).
While I was researching, I found something in the York Paper that theres a screen play being developed
Quote:
Pa. native works on screenplay for intelligent design trial movie
CHRISTINA KAUFFMAN The York Dispatch
Article Launched: 12/20/2006 10:49:15 AM EST

A feature film inspired by Dover's intelligent design trial is in the works, but it may be a few years before the movie makes it onto the big screen.
And the words "inspired by" will likely mean some creative liberty is taken in the retelling of the drama.

Pennsylvania native Ron Nyswaner, whose writing credits include "Philadelphia," starring Tom Hanks, and "The Prince of Pennsylvania," starring Keanu Reeves, has begun researching and writing the screenplay for Paramount Pictures.

The writer, who grew up in Clarksville, Greene County, said he can relate to the small-town "characters" because they are similar to him and his relatives.

Nyswaner said he has met with several of the key players in the trial, and has read "every word" of the court transcript, every deposition and every piece of journalism written about the trial to prepare for his writing.

He said the film will be "inspired by true events that took place in Dover" and will incorporate "lots of humor and lots of compelling drama."

"I think it's a great subject

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for a film," he said. "I'm trying not to form any opinions on the issues ... but write the truth from every character's point of view. You always treat every character you're writing with respect. Assume their version of the truth is the truth."
A town torn: Lynda Obst, the Paramount producer who is set to produce the film, said neither side of the intelligent design debate will be "demonized."

"I was very touched and grieved by how torn the town was by the case," she said. "I understood it, and I understood everyone to be extremely well-meaning in their intentions. I thought of it as a stand-in for America."

She said making the movie "inspired by" the events in Dover will give the writer more license to "plumb psychology without pinning it on any one particular character."

The writer will have more freedom to interpret the personalities of the plaintiffs, defendants and attorneys the movie is based on without invading their privacy, she said.

"But obviously, the court ruling is the court ruling, and the transcript is the transcript," she said.

She said she hopes to get the movie into production by the end of next year. As no director or actors are hired, there is no schedule for completion.

Science and faith meet: Nyswaner said he's interested in telling the story in part because he has his own personal faith, but he also trusts the science behind evolution.

"I think that we're all interested in the place where science and faith meet and trying to find out whether or not they're compatible," he said.

The 50-year old Nyswaner lives in Woodstock, N.Y., and works in a 100-year-old barn in his property.

"I guess I'm not the typical screenwriter," he said. "I go to Hollywood as infrequently as possible. I shop at Target. I have a small-town life."

Nyswaner's most recent picture, "The Painted Veil," starring Edward Norton and Naomi Watts, opens today. He wrote the screenplay.

Originally contracted to write the Dover screenplay was Ronald Harwood, who won an Academy Award in 2002 for his work on "The Pianist."

Harwood has since moved on to other projects, said Sheila Kinney, a researcher who took notes for Harwood during the trial.

Wonder what it should be called?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:45 pm
Two Heads Are Better Than One.

I had a screenplay myself. About 2 ambitious young legal types.

It's a bit too cynical to put on a bourgeois thread I'm afraid.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:24 pm
spendi, Are you a participating "member" of that bourgeois thread?
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:37 pm
Its ok spendi, Nowhere's too special a space for your writing.
0 Replies

Eorl

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:06 pm
I wonder if the Flying Spagetti Monster (SBUH) will make a cameo.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:08 pm
We are waiting for sir spendi.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 21 Dec, 2006 05:33 am
Mr Nyswander wrote-

Quote:
. You always treat every character you're writing with respect.

One wouldn't write them if one was to treat them with respect. They are being used and caricatured.

Lyn Obst said-

Quote:
The writer will have more freedom to interpret the personalities of the plaintiffs, defendants and attorneys the movie is based on without invading their privacy, she said.

That's bourgeois claptrap. I would make them squirm.

Quote:
"But obviously, the court ruling is the court ruling, and the transcript is the transcript," she said.

Obviously.

What's the budget for the movie? That is a matter of some importance.

Ms Kaufman's piece says nothing really. It's blowing on the dying embers for the local jingoists. It is writing on the back of adverts.

I would see Dover as a circus. Basically the pedestal was too big for the statue.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:51 am
spendius wrote:
What's the budget for the movie? That is a matter of some importance.

Ms Kaufman's piece says nothing really. It's blowing on the dying embers for the local jingoists. It is writing on the back of adverts.

I would see Dover as a circus. Basically the pedestal was too big for the statue.

http://www.ctgilles.net/images/pictars/wallace-gromit_wave.jpg

The Dover movie will use "Claymation" rather than live actors. This photo shows an attorney for the school board with one of his clients.
0 Replies