Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

wandeljw

Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:51 am
There is a troubling (to me) article in today's New York Times Science section:

Quote:
Somewhere along the way, a forum this month at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, Calif., which might have been one more polite dialogue between science and religion, began to resemble the founding convention for a political party built on a single plank: in a world dangerously charged with ideology, science needs to take on an evangelical role, vying with religion as teller of the greatest story ever told.

LINK:
Science-Religion Free-For-All
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 21 Nov, 2006 10:18 am
I read it too wandel. I call it the "Dawkins effect". I dont believe that science needs the burning hair proselytizers like Dawkins. His arguments are lost in his own rhetoric. He abandons logic many times and dips into the same well of nonsense that the IDers and the Evangelical "scientists" go for their stuff. Ive read much of Dawkins work and his "Ancestors Tale" I found to be the biggest pile of garbage since Phillip Johnsons book "Darwin on Trial".

I dont believe in parading scientific credentials as a license to become "Infomercial sales pitch-men"
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 21 Nov, 2006 11:28 am
Neither do I.

Carlyle said that the prophet Mohammed was a voice through which the forces of nature were articulated.

The same might be said of The Bible.

And the same of Science.

Do we want the voice of nature to be articulated without gloss which is what Science does? You should hear me when I mock suburbia without gloss or mercy.

And if we do do we also want it to be heard in the same uninhibited way by everyone. Darwin was "flabbergasted" to discover that Origins was being sold outside Waterloo Station to anyone with the cash. He presumably had only intended it to be circulated within an elite. (What a fool he must have been to think such a thing.)

Desmond and Moore have this to say regarding contemporary views-

" Another knew that the Origin would gratify the free-market fanatics 'who reduce all the laws of action and human thought habitually to the lowest and most sordid motives.' "

And Sir Henry Rider Haggard rubbished free-market fanatics goodstyle.

Scientists, in their well paid and comfortable occupations, may well be able to think in such terms but what about the tinkers and tailors and soldiers and sailors and rich men and poor men and beggar men and thieves?

Natural selection is sexual selection and implies a selector.

Someone has to save our glorious maidens from the depravity implicit in the evolutionary theory of the undesigned.

As Bill Greenwell famously said- "The last rasping gasp of the mantis' groom."
0 Replies

real life

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 09:18 am
Why should it surprise us that so many anti-religious are coming out of the closet?

It may be the first honest thing they've said in years.

Do we still have to pretend they're 'objective' ? (With so many stating their purpose as being that of using science to attack and dismantle religion, one would think not.)

Now let's play level. These anti-religious zealots are NOT the majority of scientists, but they do influence the direction of science out of proportion to their numbers.

But it will be interesting to see how mainstream scientists handle these far left ideologues showing their true colors.

My bet is on deafening silence (present company , wandeljw and farmerman excepted).
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:49 am
real life,

When Kenneth Miller testified at the Dover trial, he criticized Richard Dawkins for using science to "proselytize atheism".
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:27 pm
Why should it surprise us that so many religious are coming out of the closet?

Were it not for the fact they attempt to mask their agenda behind the 1st & 14th amendments, it might have been first honest thing they've said in years.

Of course, there's no p[retending they're 'objective' ? (With so many stating their purpose as being that of using religion to attack and dismantle science, clearly not.)

Now let's play level. These anti-science zealots are NOT the majority of religionists, nor even of Christians, but they do negatively influence the overall public perception and legal standing of religion, particularly Christianity, out of proportion to their numbers.

It is unsurprising to see mainstream religion distance itself from the luddite fundamentalist ideologues who lobby for the return of medeival thought and social structure.

My bet is the fundies will but further embarrass themselves, and by extension religion (with emphasis on Christianity), as they persist in pressing their duplicitous sectarian agenda.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:45 pm
timber-

Many movements have segments which are embarrassing.

The aetheist, scientific secularists have their own embarrassing wings as I have pointed out on numerous occasions. I have met quite a few who refrain from licking their plates on account of some bullshit about etiquette. And quite a few have their wives iron their suits.
0 Replies

real life

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 09:06 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Why should it surprise us that so many religious are coming out of the closet?

Were it not for the fact they attempt to mask their agenda behind the 1st & 14th amendments, it might have been first honest thing they've said in years.

Of course, there's no p[retending they're 'objective' ? (With so many stating their purpose as being that of using religion to attack and dismantle science, clearly not.)

Now let's play level. These anti-science zealots are NOT the majority of religionists, nor even of Christians, but they do negatively influence the overall public perception and legal standing of religion, particularly Christianity, out of proportion to their numbers.

It is unsurprising to see mainstream religion distance itself from the luddite fundamentalist ideologues who lobby for the return of medeival thought and social structure.

My bet is the fundies will but further embarrass themselves, and by extension religion (with emphasis on Christianity), as they persist in pressing their duplicitous sectarian agenda.

So are you conceding that these scientists are behaving exactly as the religious folks that you so often criticize?
0 Replies

real life

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 09:13 pm
wandeljw wrote:
real life,

When Kenneth Miller testified at the Dover trial, he criticized Richard Dawkins for using science to "proselytize atheism".

Good for him. Unfortunately, very few well known scientists have publicly disavowed Dawkins , have they?

I know farmerman has little use for him, but it seems as if the mainstream scientists by and large give him a pass, and often seem eager for him to act as spokesman.

But as your article shows, it's not just Dawkins anymore.

How many of these Dawkins wannabes, who are now partisan political spokespeople instead of objective scientists will be disavowed, chastised, criticized etc by the institutions which employ them, by the professional organizations to which they belong, by the colleagues whose reputations are now sullied by association and by the groups that have funded them in good faith, thinking them to be objective scientists and nothing more?

The silence, I'm telling ya, will be deafening.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:10 pm
real life wrote:

So are you conceding that these scientists are behaving exactly as the religious folks that you so often criticize?

No, rl - I'm saying wingnuts are wingnuts ... something evident to all but wingnuts.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:13 pm
real life wrote:

No, rl - I'm saying wingnuts are wingnuts ... something evident to all but wingnuts.
0 Replies

real life

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:42 pm
timberlandko wrote:
real life wrote:

So, timber are you a Dawkins wannabe also?

Or do you reject the direction that these have taken in moving away from objective science and into proselytizing?

( I think any who have read your posts know the answer to this. )
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:44 pm
My God, is this thread still going? I hope it has been said many times that Intelligent Design "Theory" is neither Science or Philosophy (or even serious Theology). It is Ideology (or ideological dogma)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:14 am
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
So, timber are you a Dawkins wannabe also?

Or do you reject the direction that these have taken in moving away from objective science and into proselytizing?

( I think any who have read your posts know the answer to this. )

Are you truly unable to recognize the falacy enhtailed by your ID-iotic question?

I suppose you must be ... or at least that you choose to so represent yourself. No matter - the effect is the same either way.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sun 26 Nov, 2006 09:11 am
CALIFORNIA UPDATE

Quote:
Editorial: A textbook case
(Sacramento Bee Editorial Opinion, November 24, 2006)

A first-of-its-kind lawsuit making its way through the federal courts could have a huge impact on California's public universities. The Association of Christian Schools International, Calvary Chapel Christian School of Murrieta (Riverside County) and five Calvary Chapel Christian School students are suing the University of California to force the state university system to count credits from religion classes toward entrance requirements for science or English or history.

A federal judge has ruled that the case can proceed to trial, which is expected in 2007.

Certainly, private religious schools have a First Amendment right to offer whatever courses they wish. But they don't have a right to demand that California's public university system accept courses premised primarily on revelations directly handed down by God to humankind in the Bible.

At stake in this case is whether California's public universities can decide which high school courses will count toward admission.

Each year high schools submit about 7,000 proposals for new courses and UC certifies about two-thirds of them. Calvary Chapel Christian School of Murrieta, for example, has 59 UC-certified courses that allow students at the school to meet all categories required for UC admission, ranging from six courses in science to nine in English and seven in history/social science. Only a handful of that school's courses have been rejected, as they should be.

For example, UC rejected high school biology and physics courses that use textbooks published by either Bob Jones University Press or A Beka Books, because the university said these textbooks "really were teaching religion instead of science."

The introduction to Bob Jones' "Biology for Christian Schools" openly acknowledges the book's primary religious mission: "The people who have prepared this book have tried consistently to put the Word of God first and science second." The book claims that Earth was created between 8,000 and 10,000 years ago and concludes, "Rather than being disproved by science, the Scriptural concept of a young Earth is actually verified by science." Yet, modern geologists, based on extensive scientific evidence, consider Earth's age to be around 4.567 billion years.

In a section on the biblical locust plague in Egypt, the book tells students, "If the conclusions contradict the Word of God, the conclusions are wrong, no matter how many scientific facts may appear to back them."

UC rejects courses and textbooks that "include among primary goals the personal religious growth of the student." For the social studies requirement, UC rejected the course "Special Providence: Christianity and the American Republic." For the English requirement, the university rejected the course "Christianity and Morality in American Literature," taught from a scriptural perspective with A Beka Book's "American Literature: Classics for Christians."

The lawsuit claims UC is "dictating and censoring the viewpoints that may and may not be taught" in private schools and that students are "discriminated against if they choose certain courses because of their religious perspective." Baloney.

The university is not stopping the school from teaching the courses or students from studying anything. Nor is it denying the students entry to UC. Calvary Chapel has more than enough courses that meet UC admissions standards; besides, students who haven't taken approved courses can show they've mastered the material by taking SAT Subject Tests.

There is a basic principle at stake: Just as UC would be within its rights to reject as fulfilling math requirements any course with a textbook claiming that two plus two equals five, it should be able to reject as science a course relying on a textbook that tells students to rely on faith over scientific evidence.

If necessary, the University of California should fight this case, all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 26 Nov, 2006 09:49 am
fm wrote elsewhere-

Quote:
Im not willing to defend anything herein cause Im slowly slipping into the social implications after I try my hand at deciphering.

We should all take careful note of that.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 26 Nov, 2006 10:01 am
JLN wrote-

Quote:
My God, is this thread still going?

JLN obviously cannot conceive of anyone being interested in what JLN isn't.

Quote:
I hope it has been said many times that Intelligent Design "Theory" is neither Science or Philosophy (or even serious Theology). It is Ideology (or ideological dogma)

Had the thread been conducted in that stupifying manner it would have been dead and buried at the same speed many others are.

Perhaps JLN ought to at least read the thread before interjecting such infantile, rote learned, superficial drivel onto it and show a little more respect for its success.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sun 26 Nov, 2006 11:15 am
Spendius, you're right. I should have read the thread before expressing suprise at its longevity. I was trying to be playful. I know that trolls do not play.
The only thing I see in my statement that is "stupifying" is my use of the "neither-OR" instead of the "neither-NOR" construction. I'm surprised you did not use it against me since you were trying so hard.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:42 pm
JLN-

I don't pick people up on solecisms.

And I wasn't trying.

I can understand that your statement might be a new revelation to you and thus not stupifying but to me it's in the same league as counting sheep. If you care to go through the thread you might find a thousand or so of expressions of similar sentiments.

You will know when I'm trying. That's when I'm incoherent.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:47 pm
Cheers
0 Replies