Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

rosborne979

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:02 pm
Mathos wrote:
However, I have noted several times when the learned faction have not quite deciphered Spendi's meanderings as he meant them to be interpreted.

I would also point out (even though it is obvious, it seems to be escaping some people), that nobody is obligated to respond to posts which don't interest them (Spendi being the prime example).

Readers always get to choose who and what they read, and just because Spendi's posts result in disinterest and lack of response, is not defacto validation of his point.

I don't listen to the crackpot on the corner tell me the world is going to end tomorrow either, but that doesn't make him right. It's the same with Spendi, except that spendi isn't standing on the corner.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
The spendi-Mathos' thread has a ring to it.

Kinda like the right hand holding the paper still for the left hand to write on it. Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:33 pm
ros wrote-

Quote:
I would also point out (even though it is obvious, it seems to be escaping some people), that nobody is obligated to respond to posts which don't interest them (Spendi being the prime example).

All posts interest me. They are what people have written and people are interesting.

I don't respond to many due to lack of time and my having a hierarchy of interests. Some I leave because my thoughts on the point they raise possibly might shock them.

But they are all of interest. The idea of "posts which don't interest them" would never enter my head.

Quote:
Readers always get to choose who and what they read, and just because Spendi's posts result in disinterest and lack of response, is not defacto validation of his point.

I'm afraid I find that incoherent.

Quote:
I don't listen to the crackpot on the corner tell me the world is going to end tomorrow either, but that doesn't make him right. It's the same with Spendi, except that spendi isn't standing on the corner.

It doesn't make him wrong either and how on earth do you know the cooc is telling anybody the world is going to end tomorrow if you haven't listened.

The crap about the right and left hand only exists, according to the materialist theory of mind, as a physical object in your head. If it exists in others too it certainly has nothing to do with me. It's a real nutcase belief as far as I'm concerned. It's the sort of thing that habitual asserters who are used to believing their own fantasies about other people often exhibit and in every aspect of their social relations. I think of it as self-inflicted injury.
0 Replies

Mathos

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:43 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
The spendi-Mathos' thread has a ring to it.

Kinda like the right hand holding the paper still for the left hand to write on it. Smile

If the two Missouri boy's carry on with meandering assertions, the world will end and they won't have had their vittles!

Why do you think this country had the presence of mind to ensure the existence of The Knights Templar has never been violated?
0 Replies

patiodog

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:10 pm
I'm still amused at the thinking that the teaching of science and only science in science class is going to lead to the fall of Christianity in America.

I was a product of state-funded education in the United States (or, rather, CA). There was a year of biology, in which we didn't discuss God, either as a spiritual entity or as a social phenomenon.

There was also a stretch of time one year when we read several books of the old testament in a literature class. We didn't read Darwin, though.

Both seemed reasonable to me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:15 pm
pd, "Reasonable" was never the issue.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:22 pm
Mathos wrote:
If the two Missouri boy's carry on with meandering assertions, the world will end and they won't have had their vittles!

Why do you think this country had the presence of mind to ensure the existence of The Knights Templar has never been violated?

Careful Mathos, you're becoming as incoherent (and as fond of the word 'assertion') as Spendi.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:24 pm
I'm beginning to wonder if Mathos lives in the same village?
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:06 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:

Gee!..c.i. shows signs of life.

patiodog wrote-

Quote:
I'm still amused at the thinking that the teaching of science and only science in science class is going to lead to the fall of Christianity in America.

I'm afraid it does old boy. You are simply indulging the idea that life ceases when you cark it. That's not Faustian. It's barbaric. Ancient Greece shite. Why do you think they f****d up.

You need to define "science class". Are you excluding the Discovery Channel, National Geographic and Science Made Easy. You are in danger of thinking education only takes place in schools and that is a complete load of bollocks. The teachers and administrators are only in the classroom about 5% of the time. On that definition education ceases at about 18.

I can understand how you have got to that mind you. It certainly seems to have done if anti-Iders are anything to go by.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:17 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:

Gee!..c.i. shows signs of life.

patiodog wrote-

Quote:

I'm afraid it does old boy. You are simply indulging the idea that life ceases when you cark it. That's not Faustian. It's barbaric. Ancient Greece shite. Why do you think they f****d up.

You need to define "science class". Are you excluding the Discovery Channel, National Geographic and Science Made Easy. You are in danger of thinking education only takes place in schools and that is a complete load of bollocks. The teachers and administrators are only in the classroom about 5% of the time. On that definition education ceases at about 18.

I can understand how you have got to that mind you. It certainly seems to have done if anti-Iders are anything to go by.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:18 pm
Sheese. The wonders of science.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:39 pm
spendi, Edication is never limited to the classroom.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:56 pm
Hardly matters actually c.i.

Education is about teachers and administrators. Holidays, pay, meetings, car park allocations etc etc.

Has anybody seen Alphaville?

Luc Goddard's delineation of the chambermaid under scientific conditions materialised before my very eyes in the pub tonight. It was just as pitiful in real life as it was in that mind bender of a movie.

It's nothing like Aphrodite stepping out of the waves I can assure you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:11 pm
spendi
Quote:

Quote:
Education is about teachers and administrators. Holidays, pay, meetings, car park allocations etc etc.

Has anybody seen Alphaville?

Quote:
It's nothing like Aphrodite stepping out of the waves I can assure you.

This is what we call a Lagerstatte(umlaut on the second a). A rich, unsorted assemblage of thefossilary melange. Quite a mouthful of useless , mostly entirely incorrect "junque".

Yeh yeh, despite the water and sanitation, the medicine and the architecture. Take a way the assemblies and the increased employment. What have the Romans reeeeeally done for us?
0 Replies

patiodog

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:22 pm
Quote:
Are you excluding the Discovery Channel, National Geographic and Science Made Easy.

You make it sound as if there is a deluge of science-dogma on our telly. I doubt you have a full appreciation of the sheer volume of religious programming -- be it the standard televangelist networks or the more hours a day of "History of the Bible"-type programs on more mainstream networks like the History Channel -- available to the American viewing public. It is certainly not as though the religious viewpoint is being broadly silenced, despite many vociferous protestations to the contrary.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:10 pm
Also, there is the "Just for entertainment science" that the Discovery or the Science Networks mostly put on. In another thread an individual was quoting, verbatim , the history of the discovery of the Chixuculub impact crater near Yucatan. There were names and phenoms, all from the Discovery Channels series (which I watched at least twice and was considereing using as a "suggested resource " for undergrads) The only problem was that the presentation was so simplistic as to be just about totally wrong, even down to the names of the scientists that the Discovery Channel credited with the confirmation of the crater.

Remember, the science channel and Discovery are about selling **** to you, so they want to sound like credible science. Theyeven hire those deep voice British narrators whose accent must confer credibility. Nobody'd hire Walt Alvarez or Rick Grieve of Alberta (the worlds unofficial record keepre of bolide impact craters). The voices of these twoguys are like mine, kinda nasal and they talk too damn fast for TV.
0 Replies

patiodog

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:10 pm
Funny thing about you scientists.

Used to push paper around for a biochemist -- pretty preeminent dude, still shy of 40, all the hoo hah. But when you met him you expected him to ask for change through broken teeth.
0 Replies

Eorl

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:19 pm
Yeah, them genius types oughtta spend more time makin' themselves look pretty.
0 Replies

patiodog

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:42 pm
He wasn't a genius, just a hardworking guy with some hygiene issues and no personal skills.

Testiness spreads like a virus around here.
0 Replies

Eorl

Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:49 pm
I ain't testy ! Just a smart-arse. Very Happy
0 Replies