Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

rosborne979

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:05 am
farmerman wrote:
I put this over on THE FLOOD thread, seems that some people are still arguing as if the Universal Flood actually occured.

The poll on the thread says 6 out of 23 are literalists (assuming they are being honest, which isn't a given on thses boards).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:13 am
spendius wrote:
ros should get together with those ladies. They could have a very, very meaningless conversation.

Get real Spendi, you've never even talked to a woman without having to give her your credit card number. What would you possibly know about a real conversation.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:14 am
Mr Godfrey's essay seems perfectly reasonable to me.

He obviously distinguishes Creationism from ID and thus rubbishes any attempt to link the two and the cheap trick of going on to discredit ID by discrediting Creationism which is easy to do and thus attractive to lazy minds.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:21 am
ros-

I have no cards of any description. My bank owes me quite a lot of money and they don't pay enough sodding interest on it.

I never have had any cards either. Not one. Plastic=Cancer (Norman Mailer).

Your prumption comes from the same bag as your "bad things" and your "good people". The pure drivel bag which on the evidence here is the only one you have.

You haven't a scientific cell in your body mate and any scientist watching you stick up for him must be hiding behind the sofa by now.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 08:45 am
POLAND UPDATE

Quote:
Polish minister says schools will keep teaching evolution despite deputy's comment
(The Associated Press, OCTOBER 26, 2006)

Poland's schools will continue to teach the theory of evolution, the education minister said Thursday, distancing himself from a deputy who recently called Darwinism a "lie."

Roman Giertych, leader of ultra-Roman Catholic League of Polish Families, said he saw no conflict between the theory of evolution and the Biblical teaching that God created the world.

"As long as most scientists in our country say that evolution is the right theory, it will be taught in Poland's schools," Giertych told a news conference.

Nearly two weeks ago, his deputy, Miroslaw Orzechowski, raised eyebrows across Poland by dubbing evolution a "lie" and a "fable of a literary nature" in a newspaper interview and by saying he wanted a debate on whether biologist Charles Darwin's theory should be purged from the school curriculum.

Giertych, who took office in May, said Orzechowski was merely expressing his "private opinion."

Note the common sense approach:
"As long as most scientists in our country say that evolution is the right theory, it will be taught in Poland's schools," Giertych told a news conference.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:02 am
Quote:
Get real Spendi, you've never even talked to a woman without having to give her your credit card number

EEEEEW badda bing!
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:58 am
In discussions between James Joyce and Frank Budgen, as reported by the latter, on the subject of the Protestant Roman Catholic split in Christendom Joyce would usually observe that a coherent absurdity (RC) is preferable to an incoherent one.

Mr Budgen comments about this that Joyce was right from a philosophical point of view but that religions are also secular institutions and that from the secular angle their relative absurdity is less important than the question of the good or harm they do.

By which he can only mean the social consequences and the judgement of their value or otherwise to those making the judgement. (In a perfect democracy-the voters.)

Do anti-IDers agree with Mr Budgen or not?

And if they do, do they agree that a rational, secular (non-absurd) system like science is, not on here though, should also be judged on the good or harm it does?

On their form so far anti-IDers would disagree with Mr Budgen and thus let social consequences go shift for themselves so that they can continue to hide behind the cosy irresponsibility of rationality which is more important to their egos than the fate of the nation.

This is a perfectly respectable, if somewhat myopic, position so long as it confines itself to its research and doesn't start trying to influence the political process which is concerned, ideally anyway, with nothing but future social consequences for which the educational process is of the utmost importance.

PS-

fm wrote-

Quote:
EEEEEW badda bing!

That's a very frail straw to clutch at old boy under the discerning eye of the viewers of this thread. It is the mathematical equivalent of speechlessness and only appears to satisfy a manifest need to croak from the bushes.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 11:37 am
spendius wrote:
... It is obvious that the kids never enter your heads.

You don't give a shite about social consequences. Your pride is more important.

Bullshit -it IS all about "the kids", and their kids, and their kids, and so on - it precisely is about the utmost of social consequences; the preservation of and benefit to society through the advancement of civilization. Kids subjected to a solid diet of ID-iocy over their education years find themselves as adults woefully unprepared to compete in many areas of the real-world the job market, while themselves contributing nothing - apart from counter example - to the advancement of humankind's knowledge and understanding.

As a society, we owe to future generations the obligation of seeing to it the generation we raise has available to it every tool we can provide; fail to fulfill that obligation and society - civilization - collapses. Look to medieval Europe for illustration of the price to pay for putting faith and superstition over discovery and understanding.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 12:48 pm
Quote:
It is the mathematical equivalent of speechlessness and only appears to satisfy a manifest need to croak from the bushes.
. Yeh, were all laughing with you spendi. One of your problems is that after ros made the joke, you then attempted to respond tohis comment with a really dim one of your own...

. You stated that you dont have any credit cards. I did laugh heartily that you just stood there and with your normal-"deer in a headlight" response, made a funny comment even more funny.

So you, like the true dupe let ros' line achieve even higher levels of guffaws from the discerning eyes of the viddeance".

Its like the old line, simple but still funny.
"HEy, I defended you yesterday"
"Oh,how?"
"Somebody said you eat **** sammiches,
And I said that you dont like bread"
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 02:05 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
Bullshit -it IS all about "the kids", and their kids, and their kids, and so on - it precisely is about the utmost of social consequences; the preservation of and benefit to society through the advancement of civilization.

At last. Something that makes some sense although the assertion implied that a society will be preserved and benefitted and advance its civilisation by a thouroughgoing Marxist/Darwinist scientific secularist education of the youth cannot be taken as read.

All we can do in the social field is examine the trends under increasing use of that position and extrapolate them to the possible effects of its total use in the villages, towns and cities of the land.

As the influence of religion has declined, particularly in urban areas, there have been some notable trends apparent. One only need go into a library and compare newspapers of 100 years ago to those of today to see that. And secularisation is nowhere near half completed.

At no point in this thread have I opposed an increasing secularisation. All I have done is suggest that a religious input might be temporarily necessary as an inhibiting factor to getting to the limits of secularisation too quickly. If I have I must have been befuddled at the time.

Once I suggest that I have to suggest that some religious education might be similarly necessary otherwise the inhibiting factor is redundant, and I use that word exactly. In reserve at the very least even in a totally secularised society. Which is why Stalin only closed the churches when he had the power to demolish them and remove all traces of their existence from the records. I am duty bound, following such a suggestion, to lend support to those who will maintain this inhibiting factor despite the fact that I am, personally, a flat-out scientific secular materialist of the very worst sort. A blowtorch type.

Now there's a good joke fm if you think ros's was about the credit card.

And it's been obvious from my first post onwards which was my member profile and unrevised. A microbe, at what ever stage of its evolution, is a flat-out secular materialist and its science is perfectly adapted to its niche.

I am also a defender of local democracy because The State, urban of necessity, is not to be relied upon or trusted operating unhindered by the slightest spark of decency as Henry Miller once said. And materialism doesn't teach decency because it can't. It can only have rules to regulated behaviour enforced ultimately by force. Thus anti-IDers must, yes must, favour an ever increasing number of rules and paying people to organise and enforce them and the bureaucracies involved, following Weber's thought, have a natural inevitable need to expand until they eat up all the substance themselves which they can never do because revolution would prevent them.

Revolutionary fervour is that feeling you get when some pedantic, bloody minded petty bureaucrat has just f****d you over on some technical point like half an inch of tyre over the no parking line. ( $200) or any one of an exploding set of rules you care to think about.

Well- maggot that I am- I hate rules. The military saw to that. And I hate revolutions because they rock the niche into which I'm snuggled.

We might discuss trends, and their asymptote with the limit of jungle tactics, of sexual relations at a later date before which it might be best to consider less important matters in the hope that those will suffice and we needn't pursue the other although the direction of it is perfectly clear.

The explosion of rules being a good place to start and the use of it, from an efficiency point of view, as a replacement for a conscience however weak.

We could move on to "free trade" after that which is self-evidently in direct contravention of Darwin's (Maggot's) theoretical position as are, of course rules of any sort. A national wild-west in its early days before Pat Garret turned traitor for pieces of silver is a reasonable guide.

So I agree timber. It is only method. And the glass case contains 300 million persons of a repute to be asserted by themselves.

The books of the rules can be measured with a ruler on the shelves.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:54 am
I believe that, in the vernacular of accepted e-speak, spendi is talking "past" timber, and what he fails to accomplish by logic, he tries to accomplish with large volumes of inanimate prose
0 Replies

patiodog

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:14 am
Quote:
Kids subjected to a solid diet of ID-iocy over their education years find themselves as adults woefully unprepared to compete in many areas of the real-world the job market, while themselves contributing nothing - apart from counter example - to the advancement of humankind's knowledge and understanding.

Quite the contrary. If the American progeny are to compete in a world job market of manufacturing trinkets for the elite of European and Asian society, then intelligence, critical thinking, and a broadly informed perspective will nly make them rue their position. Best that we also neglect to teach them that there ever was an age of prosperity here -- or, if we do, make it some sort of mythical place outside of time to which they may return when they die. The point for the chattle is not to teach them to move forward, but to make the bit more palatable.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:01 am
Lazydawg wrote-

Quote:
Quite the contrary. If the American progeny are to compete in a world job market of manufacturing trinkets for the elite of European and Asian society, then intelligence, critical thinking, and a broadly informed perspective will nly make them rue their position. Best that we also neglect to teach them that there ever was an age of prosperity here -- or, if we do, make it some sort of mythical place outside of time to which they may return when they die. The point for the chattle is not to teach them to move forward, but to make the bit more palatable.

I have been trying since the beginning to find a nice, discreet way of saying that.

As an outsider I didn't feel I ought to introduce such an obvious veracity to American gentlemen with an idealistic mind-set who seemed to me to be bent on producing a nation of highly qualified citizens none of whom would quite naturally ever henceforward be expected to get their hands dirty but who were articulate enough to vehemently assert that the immigrants who necessarily had to be brought in to do those jobs were a confounded nuisance.

I was an idealist myself once in my youthful exhuberance as it enabled me to pose as a concerned and serious person but I met an elderly principle who told me that the objective with most of the students was to give them the facility to read the sport's pages and simple operating instructions and road signs.

People who think I am stubborn and intransigent should have seen me suddenly grow up when the import of his wisdom dawned on me after about six or seven milliseconds.

This is another reason, in the long list of reasons, why anti-IDers have refused, until timber alluded to the matter yesterday, to countenance a discussion of social consequences and what they can be expected to look like in reality were the anti-ID position to be adopted across the board.

A quite incomprehensible refusal I have always thought from a scientific
perspective.
0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:00 am
timberlandko wrote:
Kids subjected to a solid diet of ID-iocy over their education years find themselves as adults woefully unprepared to compete in many areas of the real-world the job market, while themselves contributing nothing - apart from counter example - to the advancement of humankind's knowledge and understanding.

I doubt that. Without an understanding of evolution, you can't be a good biologist, maybe not even a good doctor But you can still be a CEO, lawyer, engineer, or computer programmer. Teaching our kids ID-iocy that we know is untrue is a morally wrong. But I don't buy this "our kids can't compete in the global market" argument. It sounds to me as if people are making up consequentialist arguments for conclusions they have reached for other reasons.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:29 am
Thomas wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

I doubt that. Without an understanding of evolution, you can't be a good biologist, maybe not even a good doctor But you can still be a CEO, lawyer, engineer, or computer programmer. Teaching our kids ID-iocy that we know is untrue is a morally wrong. But I don't buy this "our kids can't compete in the global market" argument. It sounds to me as if people are making up consequentialist arguments for conclusions they have reached for other reasons.

I agree. It's unfortunate that such a basic lack of understanding of the age of the earth and of fundamental biology should have so little impact on our ability to do daily tasks, but it's the case.

As you said, certain disciplines (particularly scientific and medical) require an accurate understanding of reality and physics, but many others don't. Many of the jobs we do, relate to societal functions, and not physical reality.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:51 am
Hey- we are getting somewhere at last.

Thanks Thomas.

But I do think your list-

Quote:
But you can still be a CEO, lawyer, engineer, or computer programmer.

would have had more punch had you allowed yourself to include members of that large class to which you obviously don't belong. I mean the ****-shifters, floor-sweepers, shop-workers, street-walkers, sportsmen, fruit-pickers etc etc etc to whom the severe scientific doctrines would really be a chafering bit and possibly intolerably so.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:51 am
OHIO UPDATE

Quote:
Scientists push pro-evolution candidates for state board
(MARILYN H. KARFELD, Cleveland Jewish News, October 27, 2006)

Last February, the State Board of Education (BOE) voted to delete a controversial lesson plan that required Ohio biology students to critically analyze the theory of evolution. Detractors said the lesson was a Trojan horse for intelligent design, just another version of creationism, which had no place in science class.

The BOE acted only after a federal judge in Dover, Penn., ruled that intelligent design was a religious teaching, not a scientific principle, and could not be taught in a public school science class. Intelligent design posits that life is too complex to be explained by the random, natural selection of Darwinian evolution and thus must be the work of a supernatural being.

Earlier this month, the BOE voted to end what has been a four-year debate on how to properly teach students about the origins of life. But some board members say they won't give up advocating for a biology lesson to challenge evolution.

Thus, a group of scientists, concerned that Ohio's biology education must properly prepare students for 21st century life, are working hard to elect pro-evolution candidates for the BOE. They have targeted Deborah Owens Fink, a University of Akron marketing professor and an eight-year member of the board. She is a strong proponent of intelligent design.

Last summer, the scientists formed HOPE, Help Ohio Public Education, and recruited former Rep. Tom Sawyer, who also served previously as Akron mayor, to run against Owens Fink.

The two are running in District 7, which comprises Ashtabula, Portage, Summit and Trumbull Counties. Other candidates are John T. Jones of Akron, a mechanic; and David Kovacs of Akron, a college student.

The board of election consists of 11 elected representatives and eight "at-large" members appointed by the governor. State board members serve four-year terms, with staggered elections held every two years.

The only other race in Northeast Ohio is District 2, which covers Lorain, Erie, Huron, Lucas, Wood, and parts of Ottawa and Seneca counties. Martha Wise, a strong advocate of evolution, has given up her seat to run for the Ohio Senate.

The four candidates running in District 2 are John Bender of Avon, Kenneth Ault of Wayne, Roland Hansen of Toledo, and Kathleen McGervey of Avon.

HOPE is backing Bender, a retired college administrator and former state representative, who opposes teaching a critical analysis of evolution. McGervey, an engineer who has never held elective office, supports requiring students to analyze evolution. Ault and Hansen are equivocal on the subject, HOPE says.

The state board usually attracts little attention. In fact, this is the first time Fink has had any opposition; she has raised nearly $60,000 through September, election records show, almost four times what Sawyer has raised.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:57 am
In light of what Thomas and Rosborne just pointed out, this part of the above news story is particularly interesting:

Quote:
Thus, a group of scientists, concerned that Ohio's biology education must properly prepare students for 21st century life, are working hard to elect pro-evolution candidates for the BOE. They have targeted Deborah Owens Fink, a University of Akron marketing professor and an eight-year member of the board. She is a strong proponent of intelligent design.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:02 am
The source is a bit lop-sided wande.

No reports on the demonstration in Poland yet? It was you who caused it to be mentioned in a manner which suggested strong opposition to the minister.

I wondered how it had gone.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:12 am
spendius wrote:
No reports on the demonstration in Poland yet? It was you who caused it to be mentioned in a manner which suggested strong opposition to the minister.

I wondered how it had gone.

I posted an update on Poland yesterday.
0 Replies