Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:55 pm
fm has graciously declined to come to a decision ros.

And I can't say I blame him.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:14 pm
Spendi, I dont find your point particularly important to even address. I understood ros and Im sure that you did also, youre just being a normal schmuck. If you have a reading comprehension problem, I cant help you Im afraid.
I do surmise that if you ever ask a cop for directions and he gives em to you, youll start arguing with him that hes incorrect, even when you have no idea where the hell you are.
Thats an analogy of how I find your contrarian posts, mere argument and denial, mostly as ego food and never advancing an argument one mini logcycle.
You remind me of that old M Python "I want to have an argument" sketch. It does get old and boring after about 100 pages of feeding you
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:26 pm
Quote:
Quote:
spendius wrote:
And I'm not sure why you are declining my invitation to define "bad things" and "good people".

You said them. They do need to be clarified for the post they were in to make sense.

No they don't.

Right fm. Decision time. Do you agree or don't you?

Anything but answer the question.

I did not understand ros. Absolutely not. His post was meaningless without some definition of what "bad things" and "good people" are.

There is no shred of doubt in my mind about that.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:10 pm
Farmerman recently mentioned a research website for ID (researchid.org). This is their current definition of "designer":

Quote:
Designer

An intelligent agent that arranges material structures to accomplish a purpose. Whether this agent is personal or impersonal, conscious or unconscious, part of nature or beyond nature are live possibilities within the theory of intelligent design. In particular, the designer need not be a creator.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:29 pm
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:34 pm
spendius wrote:
fm has graciously declined to come to a decision ros.

He doesn't want to waste his time with you any more than I do. But he seems to be more tolerant of your tedious puerile rambling than I am. I give him credit for that.
0 Replies

stuh505

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:15 pm
real life wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
[The issue is that, really, it is the concept of an evangelical school that needs to be abolished.

Ever heard of freedom of speech or freedom of religion?

Yes I have and I enjoy these rights.

It does, however, raise moral flags when this free speech comes in the form of speaking organized lies to children at school.

Apparently, many people do not believe that free speach applies in this case.
0 Replies

real life

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:11 pm
stuh505 wrote:
real life wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
[The issue is that, really, it is the concept of an evangelical school that needs to be abolished.

Ever heard of freedom of speech or freedom of religion?

Yes I have and I enjoy these rights.

But others shouldn't?

stuh505 wrote:
It does, however, raise moral flags

It raises 'moral' flags, eh?

So, are you saying that teachers who exercise their free speech are acting immorally?

Or just that things that YOU consider immoral should also be illegal?

stuh505 wrote:
when this free speech comes in the form of speaking organized lies to children at school.

To 'lie' , mustn't one intend to deceive?

When you state these teachers are 'lying' , aren't you being dishonest (and therefore lying) in your choice of this term?

stuh505 wrote:
Apparently, many people do not believe that free speach applies in this case.

You're the only one I see advocating the abolition of the evangelical schools. Are you 'many'?
0 Replies

stuh505

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:33 pm
Quote:
Or just that things that YOU consider immoral should also be illegal?

I never said it should be illegal. All I said was that it is a moral issue.

Quote:
To 'lie' , mustn't one intend to deceive?

Yes.

Quote:
When you state these teachers are 'lying' , aren't you being dishonest (and therefore lying) in your choice of this term?

It was bad word choice because they may not be decieving intentionally.

Quote:
You're the only one I see advocating the abolition of the evangelical schools. Are you 'many'?

I never advocated it. In fact in the sentence following the one you first quoted I gave one reason for why I did not advocate it.

I am not many. But the government has obviously restricted free speach in public schools.

The government has obviously restricted free speach in public schools.

Obviously a lot of people think there are limits to free speach when it coems to education.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:21 am
ros quoted-

Quote:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

So, presumably, if everyone was "good" (here we go again) and did nothing evil would triumph. And what does doing "something" consist of?
No doubt, for Burke, "something" meant 14 hour shifts 7/7 in the mill including the kids in order to keep the aristocracy in the manner to which it had become accustomed.

You look ridiculous ros quoting Burke. He attacked aetheism with some gusto. He was a defender of the hierarchical class system and a fierce opponent of the French revolution and thus a supporter of the debauched and cruel monarchy it replaced.

Quote:
He doesn't want to waste his time with you any more than I do. But he seems to be more tolerant of your tedious puerile rambling than I am. I give him credit for that.

That's ridiculous. fm is well aware of your reasoning powers. He just doesn't wish to say so and split the anti-ID cabal. One presumes you withold credit from yourself for being intolerant.

But Burke, like you, believed that what he said was "good" was good. He would have thought, as you do, that what he defined as "tedious puerile ramblings" were actually tedious puerile ramblings. He attacked the use of reason.

You would be kept well away in this country from influence on the educational system. That I can assure you of. You are a classic bigot and if I was an anti-IDer I would tell you to withdraw from the debate on the grounds that you are a serious nuisance to the anti-ID camp and render it into a laughing stock and have your "friends" squirming with embarrassment.

It is of no consequence to me if you don't think your earlier post was not meaningless without the definitions you have refused to give and I trust, I hope, that it is of no consequence to viewers of this either other than them thinking, as I do, that you don't belong in a science debate. If viewers are taken in by what can only be called bluster so much the worse for them.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:33 am
stuh wrote-

Quote:
I never said it should be illegal.

He had written earlier-

Quote:
it is the concept of an evangelical school that needs to be abolished.

"Needs to be abolished" seems to me a demand to make evangelical schools illegal. I can't see how they would be "abolished" without first making them illegal and the demand would obviously include private schools. The demand is also completely unrealistic in any forseeable circumstances
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:46 am
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
spendius wrote:
And I'm not sure why you are declining my invitation to define "bad things" and "good people".

You said them. They do need to be clarified for the post they were in to make sense.

No they don't.

Why did fm refuse, with added snow, to agree with that "No they don't" when he was specifically invited to do so?

It would have been a lot easier for him to do so than to waste his time with the much longer posts and to give us all another demo of his capacities for smearing.

fm- is it the case that ros needs to provide definitions of "bad things" and "good people" to give the post they were in meaning?

Yes or no.

Stand behind your fellow anti-IDer and his "No they don't" so that we know where we stand. You are dithering man. Like a vestal virgin.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:50 am
Im not for abolishing them. I only believe strongly that there should be no capitulation to drop science standards. They must be just as accountable for their products as are the public schools (which everyone knows cannot select their students)

The old chestnut that Christian Academies develop better educated students than public schools is hype. There are a number of academies around here that, when they send feelers for faculty assistance, will never choose someone like me or any scientist not strongly first vetted by their own "Science quality boards"--Code word for

1Do you buy all this crap we spew?

2Are you "of the body"

3Youre not a damn Jew or Catholic?.

The standards they profess to mirror , are really NOT those of the entire state curriculum advisory boards selection. A number of academies teach their sciences with a strong dose of militant Christian dogma. We will never be able to succesfully whip these schools into line so we usually just knowingly turn our backs knowing that these kids educations are in the hands of a bunch of mooga-booga fools.

The Nottingham Academy near Elkton mAryland is so bad that they dont even hide the fact that their ID and Creationist worldview is the center of their biology program.

Most of their kids will have a rude awakening in college or will become fully trained at one of the many "Christian Universities", where science ends at faiths door jamb.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:00 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
The old chestnut that Christian Academies develop better educated students than public schools is hype.

fm- Why is this use of "better" hype and ros's use of "good" and "bad" not?

Are the Christian Academies not just as entitled to assert these bald and meaningless subjectivities as ros is, seemingly with your approval.

You are beginning to look foolish and an enemy of both free speech and rigour.

It looks like anti-ID assertions are valid and the other side's assertions are not. That's coming close to Stalinism.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:26 am
What's your point spendi? is your topical well dry again?
0 Replies

stuh505

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:29 am
spendius wrote:
"Needs to be abolished" seems to me a demand to make evangelical schools illegal. I can't see how they would be "abolished" without first making them illegal and the demand would obviously include private schools. The demand is also completely unrealistic in any forseeable circumstances

If you had read the next two sentences, you would have heard me say "at least, that is the only way to solve the problem for those people...which I don't think we should."

Don't misquote me...
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:33 am
Quote:
You are beginning to look foolish and an enemy of both free speech and rigour.
With unbridled free speech, why do you need rigorism? since concievably any piece of crap theory would be given equivalent respect.

Please stop mis interpreting peoples posts.It makes You look disengenuous and agenda driven. If you want to play twit, do it at your bar with the other habitues.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:53 am
I put this over on THE FLOOD thread, seems that some people are still arguing as if the Universal Flood actually occured.

Quote:

Heres an article by Steve Godfrey, who is the curator of vertebrate paleontology at the Miocene Museum in Solomons Point Md.(He was born and raised a Creationist who believed his teachings about "The Flood")
Quote:
Moving Past Creationist Roots
Stephen Godfrey
Growing up, my family looked to the Bible for answers to questions relating to the origin of the universe and life. Yet for as long as I can remember, I have loved natural history and natural history museums. Thus, during my final undergraduate year, I decided to study paleontology to see if its claims were true, and in so doing, I thought that I could serve the creationist cause.

Much to my chagrin, the evidence I found in the field did not support my belief in a young Earth and flood geology; it contradicted it and ultimately drove me from that belief. Seeing that footprint fossils of terrestrial animals exist throughout much of the geologic column convinced me that all of the world?s fossils could not have been laid down in a single flood. The fact that different suites of fossils characterize different geologic strata, and that transitional life forms do exist in the fossil record forced me to concede that macro-evolutionary changes had happened through time.

Although field geology and paleontology convinced me that young-Earth creationism was untenable, one of the most profound discoveries I made was how badly mistaken young-Earth creationists and I were in our understanding of the first chapter of Genesis. Our problem was not a scientific one; it was much more fundamental, in not seeing the world through the eyes of those for whom the first chapter of Genesis was originally written.

Genesis presents a phenomenological cosmology ? it describes how things appear from the perspective of an Earth-bound observer and how they appear to have been made. To these ancients, Earth was flat and it lay below a dome-shaped sky. The blue region above the firmament was composed of water, not outer space, with the sun, moon and stars lying within the firmament.

The Biblical cosmology is quite different, quite innocently naive in its understanding of the depth of time and space as compared to our present cosmological understanding. Because creationists further compound the cosmological problem by reading Genesis in a selectively literal way, we should not marvel at how different their claims are to those of evolutionary scientists.

One way to summarize the argument is this: If someone feels compelled to believe in a young Earth on the basis of a commitment to a literal reading of Genesis, they must also believe that Earth is flat on that same basis. But if, as is no doubt the case, they do not feel that they have to believe in a flat Earth, even though that is what Genesis literally presents, then they may already have articulated for themselves the reasons why they don?t need to believe in a young Earth, either. We are free to let the data speak for itself.

The problem, however, is more than literal interpretation of the Bible; it also has to do with perceptions within the religious community. Christians who work in other scientific fields do not feel that they have to begin with the Bible?s descriptions of their subject matter as the foundation of their work. In embryology, meteorology, mineralogy, medicine and countless other fields, we applaud the work of those who pursue their research and synthesize their findings into a reasonable model. We do not expect them to derive their conclusions from a reading of the Bible. So why should there be a double standard for fields such as geology, paleontology and cosmology? (There shouldn?t!)

I found comfort in a recent book by D.P. Domning and M.K. Hellwig, which articulates the reconciliation between Christianity and Darwinian evolution, and their inextricable unity, in a intellectually compelling and theologically satisfying way. What Darwin did for science, Domning and Hellwig have done for Christianity.

Darwin resolved disparate observations in nature by identifying natural selection as the prime agent driving evolutionary change. Likewise, Domning and Hellwig resolve vexing and long-standing theological issues by showing how chance, mutations, natural selection and evolution necessarily link to God?s selfless love, ?physical? and moral evil, and selfishness and salvation. Love would be impossible without free will, which in turn can only exist in an autonomous universe, and evolution offers the only mechanisms known that could have produced conscious creatures able to choose, they reason. As a once-fervent creationist, the irony is not lost on me at how theologically revealing evolutionary theory is to Christianity.

In the end, religion and science do not represent universal opposites. To quote Proverbs 25:2: ?It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; it is the glory of kings to search out a matter.? And from King Solomon: ?God has hidden countless fascinating and wonderful things in his creation, and he wants us to delight in discovering them.?

So, all those who are called to scientific enterprise should pursue that calling without fear or doubt, but rather with joy and enthusiasm. There is no script that you need to follow, no predetermined conclusion with which your results need to square. If there were, God would not really have ?hidden? these treasures for us to find. They?re out there ? go get them!

------------------------------------------------------------------

The interesting thing is that Steve Godfrey is still dwelling on the interaction between his science training and his ole time religious training. He needs to coordinate his two worlds and try to make sense of his earlier life in light of his later University education. He tried to enter a discipline for the sole reason of reinforcing his Creationist uprbringing. When he couldnt justify his old beliefes with his new found training, he still needed to find a way to slip a transcendental Go into his personal philosophy.

The funny thing is that I get a few cases in school where the kids come in all full of fire and salvation and take geology just to "prove it wrong". They always fail once they are exposed to the dispassionate evidence. Otherwise they just drop out and take an "I" as a grade since their minds shall remain closed.

Steve is like Roger Wiens, who is a noted radiochemistry researcher and also one who was originally a "born-again" fundamentalist raised on a steady diet of Creationism. Dr Wiens actually was personally prompted , in a purgative act, to write a series of papers on "Radiometric Dating-A christians Perspective""
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:56 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
With unbridled free speech, why do you need rigorism? since concievably any piece of crap theory would be given equivalent respect.

It is a science thread fm.

But once again you have failed to back your fellow anti-IDer.

We may as well leave it at that. ros makes a meaningless post--fails to back himself- you fail to back him whilst knocking the other side for using "better" (quite correctly), and it's filibuster city.

Interested viewers will know what to make of it I'm sure.

Poor 50 million schoolkids is all I can say. I would play truant and leave you administrators to it. It is obvious that the kids never enter your heads.

You don't give a shite about social consequences. Your pride is more important.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:02 am
There was a piss-taking advert on our screens a while back with a Marty type driving a car and two fat, middle aged females of very low educational attainment (as acted I mean with emphasis).

One of the ladies says- "he's a very, very nice man."

She could have said- "he's a very,very,very,very good man and he never, ever, ever does any bad things." (after Kinsey too).

ros should get together with those ladies. They could have a very, very meaningless conversation.
0 Replies